• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 8, 2019
The Force Awakens is a competently directed film but what do people actually remember about that film outside of that one guy screaming "Traitor" and being more competent than the more heavily pushed Captain Phasma? The scene where they ruin the ability to take Captain Phasma seriously with the Trash Compactor? Same thing with the Last Jedi which has a few good scenes with Luke, Rey, and Kylo, but the other 2 major plotlines come off as largely nonsensical. Rise of Skywalker was by far the worst film Lucasfilm has ever made.

Then you get Strange Magic, the last Lucasfilm that George Lucas actually worked on. George Lucas' take on Jukebox Musical where they start with the female lead singing Cant Help Falling in Love

and end with the cast belting out Wild Thing from the film Major League

Well the actual ending is this

Also George Lucas allowed himself to be the basis of the goofy king thats constantly horrified by who his daughters fall in love with, which is kind of weird.

Its too bad Disney sabatoged this so instead of Strange Magic rides, and Marianne and Roland being walk around characters we instead get space fascist instead.

Thanks Disney

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
TLJ & Rogue One are the two best Star Wars movies. At minimum, they're films with a lot of clear passion for the franchise behind them - and a willingness to take huge risks. Hard to justify calling either one forgettable.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
TLJ & Rogue One are the two best Star Wars movies. At minimum, they're films with a lot of clear passion for the franchise behind them - and a willingness to take huge risks. Hard to justify calling either one forgettable.

One and done here.

Never even knew this movie existed though.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
What Matt said.

This is genuinely one of the worst animated theatrical films to be released in the last decade (IMO). Even the lower quality Illumination/Blue Sky films are better.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Strange Magic is complete garbage to the point where I am going to re-evaluate my dislike of RoS strictly because you also agree that it's bad

OP
OP
Charred Knight
Oct 8, 2019

Rogue One's final battle is good but the rest of the film is completely unmemorable outside of Whitaker's bizarre performance where he just shouts all of his lines. For TLJ all of Finn's best scenes are deleted comedy scenes, the Poe subplot is just full of characters acting insane to move the plot along. I mean I would put it as the 5th best Star Wars film but considering how bad some of the Star Wars films are that not actually much of a compliment.

What Matt said.

This is genuinely one of the worst animated theatrical films to be released in the last decade (IMO). Even the lower quality Illumination/Blue Sky films are better.

Would one of the worst animated film of the last decade have a scene where the main villain starts Riverdancing?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Last Jedi, intriguing attempt to push the formula of Star Wars, and some really enjoyable scenes. I guess a 6 or 7/10 in retrospective.

OP
OP
Charred Knight
Oct 8, 2019
I think this is the first time I've seen anyone say anything positive about Strange Magic.

Just look at how many times Strange Magic just pops the weirdest face you will ever see in an animated film. Its like one of those extremely weird films that cost like 10 million dollars like Delgo but this one cost 100 million dollars and directed by a guy whose won the Academy Awards 7 times and has been Nominated 19 times.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Rogue one is awesome 10/10 and probably my favourite star wars movie

TLJ is one of the only movies I have ever had such a visceral reaction to as I was watching it.
I left the theater really disappointed. And the Rise of Skywalker came around and somehow made it worse lol.
More bombastic and I guess more watchable, but that ending smooch is the only time I have yelled "What?!?"
at the sheer insanity and randomness of the moment. I had ZERO vibes that that was going to happen. She gets tortured by him
and then they spend 2 movies having very little to do with each other other than occasionally fighting, and now they want to kiss??

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Would one of the worst animated film of the last decade have a scene where the main villain starts Riverdancing?

[/QUOTE]
I feel like Riverdancing is a requirement for a film to be referred to as one of the worst.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the obsession in the early-mid 10's with hyperreal "epics". Just so, so unappealing. Camera moves that never sit still, your eye never knows where to look, and the storytelling is TERRIFIED of missing an opportunity to slap or knock a character over. The song linked above can't even start without a dragonfly hitting the "camera lens". Such desperation to squeeze out the most unearned laughs is such a put-down to the audience. This and Mars Needs Moms are a double-feature in exhaustion.
Some of you people really let Star Wars warp your minds.
Seriously, it straight up broke some people. I don't really care for Star Wars and consider Rogue One the second best behind ANH. I even go as far as to place RotJ in prequel territory. But to prop Strange Magic as some as some retaliatory answer to the complete clusterfuck the new trilogy was is just ... what?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP: "Disney Star Wars films are completely forgettable!"

Also OP: *proceeds to describe oddly specific moments of the Disney Star Wars films in his first and second posts*

OP
OP
Charred Knight
Oct 8, 2019
OP: "Disney Star Wars films are completely forgettable!"

Also OP: *proceeds to describe oddly specific moments of the Disney Star Wars films in his first and second posts*

I mean sure its kind of memorable when The Force Awakens pisses away the previous trilogy with "The Death Star but now its the size of the planet and it destroys multiple planets". Its just not a fun memorable and more of a "Dear god I thought Attack of the Clones was bad but this is even worse"

Strange Magic's intense weirdness does not impact my enjoyment of another film

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I mean sure its kind of memorable when The Force Awakens pisses away the previous trilogy with "The Death Star but now its the size of the planet and it destroys multiple planets". Its just not a fun memorable and more of a "Dear god I thought Attack of the Clones was bad but this is even worse"

Strange Magic's intense weirdness does not impact my enjoyment of another film
Congrats on being 1 of 5 people who hold that opinion.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Folks are so desperate to hate the Disney Star Wars movies lol. Why couldn't you just make a thread saying how much you enjoy Strange Magic? Peoples identities are so wrapped up in disliking something everything has to be "X is better than Y" instead of just enjoying something.

Disney made some good stuff and some mediocre stuff with the IP. Mando season 1 is fun, TLJ is great, casting of Adam Driver was inspired regardless of how the character turned out, Clone Wars season 7, Rogue One is pretty solid.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
The real answer is Willow. Unless that doesn't count. I know it was re-released but not sure if it was under Disney. But yeah, Willow!

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
By getting rid of the Republic which the heroes spent episode 4-6 trying to restore, and then revealing that Luke's attempt to restore the Jedi failed
Yeah, government rise and fall, and people with good intentions fail sometimes. That's what happens, and is frankly a far more interesting premise than "everything was fine forever."