• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Wrong forum.
And btw, if you are interested in those kind of topics, you can study human geography, especially regarding geopolitics. That's a very sensible topic, even helping out with some sustainable projects in Africa are a hot topic since those can be considered as an act of post colonialism as well. Just google the term "post colonialism".

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They should, but first they should leave africa. Just because colonialism ended, doesn't mean countries don't have military bases and mining companies there. That would be a good start.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
It would hold symbolic value, sure, but also have consequences I don't think we're really interested in.

I mean, you're going to pay reperations with taxpayer money (governments barely profit in other ways), and we're already on the brink of a worldwide depression, having several countries entered a state of recession already. This is where politicians and people in power would simply say 'no', because it would be a stupid use of money.

Call it an "investment" then, but what differientiates it from the vast amounts of money that the EU (and USA for that matter) is already pouring into foreign countries already?

I also think it's a bit weird to hold someone today accountable for something then and I don't understand why money should imply justice, seeing as most nations with bad economies hardly suffer this problem due to the atrocities then, but more so because of geopolitics, and I certainly don't think taxpayers should be accountable for that (time and time over, we see that our vote hardly matters in this case).

At the end of the day, we would use taxpayers money, which would hurt economies in Europe, which would further hurt economies worldwide, to pay for something that people today aren't accountable for, enacted at the responsibility of the few in power then, yet somehow justifying the proxy either way, ultimately making money the symbolism of justice, claiming validity in this whilst totally ignoring the fact that many European nations are already supporting foreign countries, sharing knowledge and know-how, and so on and so forth.

If we're looking at is a case of compensation, well then it's just not happening.

There may be other ways to give back, which I just don't know off. I certainly think it's alright to tear down statues of dumbasses, and try and consider our modern day history, and what the narratives are rooted in. This isn't a money problem to me.

Cwyll

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 months): trolling, account in junior phase
Go back far enough, and we're all from africa anyway

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I thought about this a lot when I visited Sri Lanka, especially talking to the people there about their mixed feelings on colonisation. The British built a huge amount of rail infrastructure in Sri Lanka and started the tea industry. I'm not going to pretend I looked it up but I imagine the human cost was immense and the British did the British thing and were hugely evil.

Yet, Sri Lankan tourism today is built upon those railways. Every local I spoke to was extremely proud of them. The tea industry generates a lot of profits. I am NOT saying the cost was worth it or good, just that some countries mixing with colonialism is very very very complicated.

Now China have built a pretty massive billion dollar highway and there's Chinese brands and things everywhere.

Guess colonialism is still alive and well in many ways.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if anything, I think the issue is more that european countries are still profiting from these countries they stole from in modern economics.

but you're in the wrong subforum
And yet you still made a dumbass joke bro. What year is this 2004 and people are still making the lame gaming side jokes when someone places the wrong topic in the wrong place

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive driveby
Pay to who and why? The Europeans who had anything to do with what happened back then are long dead.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
European countries stole billions and killed millions not that long ago even. And white people be like you know who's going to pay for and who gets the payment bulshit. White people ain't shitt man
What about the white people that lost their lives and lands during the Arab expansion? North Africa, Turkey and the Middle East used to be Christian. You can't just pick and choose history...

dancmc

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern trolling and false equivalences in a sensitive topic over a series of posts.
I understand the problems and the atrocities that have plagued history and and appreciate the desire to rectify them in some way. I think a much more productive use of energy and money would be to try to solve the problem of today's world. There are 10's of millions of slaves in the world right now!!

Establishing a venue for identifying grievances for one group of people against others for the acts of ancestors opens up such a can of worms. Which groups are allowed to have grievances? How should a person who is 1/16 from Africa, 1/6 Native American, 1/3 German, be handled? Are we genetically testing everyone for racial purity to know who is really worthy of getting a payment? Is someone who is descended from Africa somehow more worthy than someone who is Jewish, or another group of people who have been oppressed or colonized throughout history? or is it only the history that a certain group determines is relevant

Oct 30, 2017
- Programs that encourage educating the youth of colonized countries for free
- Programs that encourage citizens of colonizer countries to service colonized countries to reach development and innovation goals
- open borders to any colonized countries for jobs
- low interest loans to colonized countries

NGOs have been doing these for years and progress is slow since funding is always lacking . Maybe a government can make a larger push for the above activities.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about the white people that lost their lives and lands during the Arab expansion? North Africa, Turkey and the Middle East used to be Christian. You can't just pick and choose history...
What about them? Is this thread about that? No so why bring it up if only to deflect the current topic

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for reparations from Caesar's genocide in Gaul.
Let's not act like France never got any reparations in its history lol.

- Programs that encourage educating the youth of colonized countries for free
- Programs that encourage citizens of colonizer countries to service colonized countries to reach development and innovation goals
- open borders to any colonized countries for jobs
- low interest loans to colonized countries

NGOs have been doing these for years and progress is slow since funding is always lacking . Maybe a government can make a larger push for the above activities.

Most NGO spend more money in hospitality for their workers than actually helping the countries in need.

Necronomicon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Cool idea! I'm from Spain, southern spain to be precise so after I ask for repay from:
- greeks
- carthage
- phoenicia
- roman empire
- goths
- almogavars
- omeya caliphate
- castillian visigoths
I guess with that pay we can pass it on to the people that lives in the countries the spanish empire colonised, and have remained unmixed with spanish descendants?
It's a neat idea, but bringing it up to practise might be slightly harder to accomplish.
Erase the Roman empire debt in compensation for the Asburgic's dominion of southern Italy.

Also, I invite the original poster to do some research. Many countries already paid colonies for past occupation, I know Italy give a lot to Libia after second world war and also to Gheddafi that wanted more money as repair ten years later and then again in 2008 (threatening to send lot of illegal immigrants).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The EU is giving more than 20 billion a year to african countries (on top of individual state contributions). What numbers do you want OP

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling in a Sensitive Thread
European countries stole billions and killed millions not that long ago even. And white people be like you know who's going to pay for and who gets the payment bulshit. White people ain't shitt man

White people ain't 'shitt'? Cool, thanks. An aggressive tone and sweeping statements is a great way to start a conversation like this, good job.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive rhetoric in a sensitive discussion.
It's honestly very tiring seeing gaming side make the same shitty joke when people post a thread in the wrong section.

ExCuSe mE iS ThIS a nEW ViDEogAmE?!!?!
It's an almost 20 year old tradition of this community. If you don't want people to make the joke then make sure you're posting in the right forum.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Europe is racist even toward half of Europe lol, you think they'd care to do this?

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Erase the Roman empire debt in compensation for the Asburgic's dominion of southern Italy.

Also, I invite the original poster to do some research. Many countries already paid colonies for past occupation, I know Italy give a lot to Libia after second world war and also to Gheddafi that wanted more money as repair ten years later and then again in 2008 (threatening to send lot of illegal immigrants).
Habsburg were technically austrian that had a marriage alliance with the Trastamara so...half erase?

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
The whataboutism is strong in this thread. I always think too high of people, but that's my mistake.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What about America giving back the whole country to native Americans and paying thousand of billions for the dozens of millions of of native Americans killed during colonisation?

Every civilization is build on a war. Deal with it and move on.
Spot on
And get all of the military bases out of countries, (still going on) and give the land back while their at it.
I'm still waiting for reparations from Caesar's genocide in Gaul.

Every time I imagine Europe as "progressive" in comparison to America this forum reminds me how truly racist Europe is.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you all were not so dismissing to OP and making straw men arguments and jokes about gaming side they wouldn't have been so frustrated.

Remember a few days an admin posted that specific reactions are why this forum feels toxic and unwelcome to minorities?

Read up

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a noble thought but absolutely unrealistic and never going to happen. We should strive for something more realistic... which is a worldwide communist society based on mutual aid with a commonly owned economy that provides food, shelter, healthcare, education, and more for all its citizens. 🎅

Plenty of wealth to go around.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Every country has its black pages. Especially the ones in power. I think it's much more important to educate future generations than it is to compensate countries whose current people never experienced the oppression themselves. Because in the latter case, it isn't just European-to-African or European-to-Asian countries, but also European-to-European. Where does one cross the line in such a case?

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
It's not a completely bad idea but it's never going to happen. In France at least there's a lot of people who believe that colonisation benefited the colonised so... Another thing is there's at least 10% of the population of France who come from these colonised countries. Should they pay too?
And how much should we pay, to who?

The better thing to would to get rid of neocolonialism I believe.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Not against it, but for a proper discussion we'll need more then an OP that just makes a blanket statement.
Who pays who, how do you express or calculate the amount owed, what if the former colonial power itself is now poor etc, how far do you go back etc.

Personally I think a much needed first step would be to hand back national treasures to the countries we stole them from.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take it he's american, and despite the long history of slavery and oppression from the independent USA, he still blames the british?
It is not like my family came from Kenya that was terrorized by the British for like what a hundred years killing millions and stealing billion

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive rhetoric over a series of posts.
Maybe if you all were not so dismissing to OP and making straw men arguments and jokes about gaming side they wouldn't have been so frustrated.

Maybe he shouldn't have come in so hot and frame his stance in an overly aggressive way. Also racist remarks like all "white people aint shitt" doesn't help either. It's hard to take this OP seriously. He doesn't seem interested in any discussion

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
And yet you still made a dumbass joke bro. What year is this 2004 and people are still making the lame gaming side jokes when someone places the wrong topic in the wrong place
Crazy how you're pressed about YOUR mistake.

And etc folks keep trying to tie everything to Trump when a gaming thread is posted here.

my man broached a topic like that with three (3) lines of text. There are folks that are putting more time and effort making a point on pokemon games. This thread is just fishing for reactions.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
User Banned (2 months): concern trolling over a series of posts