• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the growing race movement around the world . It time we have a conversation about European that participated Colonialism repaying the countries they stole billion and killed millions . If these countries and people really care about poc it is time they do what is right and face up to all the shit they have done and give back big to the places they fucked over.

Panou

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive driveby
EZiZj44XgAA3d5L

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): dismissive driveby
This should be an endgame mechanic in Civ

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
How do you repay some countries like Brasil, Argentina, etc? You pay the white guys that stayed behind and lead these countries? How do you repay some of the extremely corrupted African countries?

It's a good idea in theory but it seems practically impossible. A good way to do it would be to invest in schools and infrastructure to help develop said countries... but then people will pretend it's neocolonialism.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
You are absolutely correct.

However, the last thread about this weren't really nice to read. People were like "why should I pay for what X did?" Kind of.

Deleted member 59

OP, what countries in particular are you referring to and how far back does this go, considering at some point Europeans suffered heavily at the hands of invaders from the east, and then those areas would have prospered on the back of that.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Those European countries were build through colonialism during centuries... Remember the vikings, or the Cordoba Emirate, also the Otoman Empire, the Roman Empire, the Ancient Greek, the Persian Empire, the Egyptians, yada yada yada...

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you repay some countries like Brasil, Argentina, etc? You pay the white guys that stayed behind and lead these countries? How do you repay some of the extremely corrupted African countries?

It's a good idea in theory but it seems practically impossible. A good way to do it would be to invest in schools and infrastructure to help develop said countries... but then people will pretend it's neocolonialism.
Work with the countries and let them develop the programs whether social it infrastructure and the west pays for it as long as the corrupt dont funnel money to themselves?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting topic.
But my question is the following: How do you pay ?
You ask countries to pay, right ? How do countries pay ? From public funds. Where does public funds comes ? Taxpayers.

Which means, basically, you're asking today's taxpayers to pay for previous fuck ups.

But it gets even crazier. I'm not teaching you anything if I tell you that a lot of European countries that participated in colonisation have a sizeable part of their population which origins is from ex-colonies. Which means... people of descent from ex-colonies would pay too ?

s0laster

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
User Banned (permanent): dismissive trolling
What about America giving back the whole country to native Americans and paying thousand of billions for the dozens of millions of of native Americans killed during colonisation?

Every civilization is build on a war. Deal with it and move on.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
User banned (1 month): dismissive trolling over multiple posts in a sensitive thread
What about America giving back the whole country to native Americans and paying thousand of billions for the dozens of millions of of native Americans killed during colonisation?

Spot on
And get all of the military bases out of countries, (still going on) and give the land back while their at it.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is like some dumb dumb shit bro. Like stupid shit. Get off the internet and read a fucking book

dancmc

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First wrong thread. Second, why do people think the history of the world only goes back for the last few hundred years. It is self-destructive for any society to create a situation where a baby who is born into the world today automatically has pre-existing grievances against another baby born at the same time, because of what their ancestors did centuries ago.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
You guys act as the colonization of Africa was 1000 years ago. You prosper from your ancestors, pay the fuck up.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would open the biggest can of worms ever.

Countries would look back and demand money from the times they were raided and killed without mercy.

Countries like poland never had colonies in africa but were raided by neighbours for centuries and raided other countries, etc.

I'm all for countries like the us, uk, spain, portugal to pay but spain for example would just point at the former arabic states that invaded them and demand money for that, etc.

It wouldn't do anything.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
OP, what countries in particular are you referring to and how far back does this go, considering at some point Europeans suffered heavily at the hands of invaders from the east, and then those areas would have prospered on the back of that.
The Netherlands occupied Indonesia for 350 years. South/Southeast Asia are among the most impacted by European colonialism in that age.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well the first they can do is give back a bunch of the things sitting in museums that they stole from other countries.

Spartan IV

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive rhetoric over a series of posts. Account in junior phase.
It's a forum mispost. Clearly designed to go to Offtopic so why the crap attitude.

Sorry OP.

I'd love to hear ideas on how that night work

Maybe the crap attitude is to blame people for what their ancestors did 500 years ago. I don't like the way that OP wrote his vision.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
User Banned (2 months): concern trolling over a series of posts
Cool idea! I'm from Spain, southern spain to be precise so after I ask for repay from:
- greeks
- carthage
- phoenicia
- roman empire
- goths
- almogavars
- omeya caliphate
- castillian visigoths
I guess with that pay we can pass it on to the people that lives in the countries the spanish empire colonised, and have remained unmixed with spanish descendants?
It's a neat idea, but bringing it up to practise might be slightly harder to accomplish.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
User Banned (2 months): concern trolling, account in junior phase
As a Ukrainian, the Mongols owe me reparations...and so do the Turks and the Germans and the Poles and Russians. Lol...

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
First wrong thread. Second, why do people think the history of the world only goes back for the last few hundred years. It is self-destructive for any society to create a situation where a baby who is born into the world today automatically has pre-existing grievances against another baby born at the same time, because of what their ancestors did centuries ago.

This is about compensation for a status that is still in effect this day on both ends.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive trolling over a series of posts.
sir i'm just waiting for the PS5

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
European countries stole billions and killed millions not that long ago even. And white people be like you know who's going to pay for and who gets the payment bulshit. White people ain't shitt man

Oct 28, 2019
Maybe the crap attitude is to blame people for what their ancestors did 500 years ago. I don't like the way that OP wrote his vision.

1) It's not 500 years ago, the colonial powers had colonies well into the 60s/70s of the previous century

2) You undeniably still benefitted from it

It will never happen but I do think it's important that people realise the Western societies they live in were built by extracting resources from the colonies

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Justifying the trolling of sensitive threads.
So do you go on serious threads and just make shity ass jokes?

Trust me. He's legitimate to make that joke on that topic.

European countries stole billions and killed millions not that long ago even. And white people be like you know who's going to pay for and who gets the payment bulshit. White people ain't shitt man

But you didn't reply to the question:
Who's paying ? And who's getting paid ?

That question is important, because a lot of countries which had a colonial empire also have a sizeable population from ex-colonies descent.

To make it simple: Are you asking people, including especially people from ex-colonies descent, to pay corrupt governments for stuff they didn't do, and even worse, their ancestors suffered from ?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.

Lol I think about it and I'd love it the UK would pay us back for the shit they did, but then the realist in me kicks in and knows none of the benefits would ever trickle down to normal people because of just how fucking corrupt our government is

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All.yall showing your bottoms. We are clearly taking about the destruction of Africa, the enslavement of its people, theft of their culture, languages and possessions. The fallout from THOSE actions still permeates today which is why we have people struggling to understand Black Lives Matter.

Sorry again, OP

Oct 27, 2017
How far back are we going and how are we quantifying amounts?

It's an interesting idea but surely entire unworkable even if there was any appetite to make it happen.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
They shoiuld, at the very least, give back monuments, gold and loot from the former colones.

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Remember when Italy paid Gheddafi as compensation for the Italian colonisation? It truly lead to peace in Libya.
Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you OP, but only paying compensation won't change much

Dilly

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 months); Inflammatory trolling and hostility over multiple posts in a sensitive thread
I'm still waiting for reparations from Caesar's genocide in Gaul.