• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I remember it happening to me many times but happening to a friend of mine is what set me off to realize how stupid it is and then make that thread.

If you have a lapsed subscription, uninstalled the game, and are willing to try it again, FFXIV does not allow you to download the game until you buy a subscription. The game is 44GB as of right now (w/ expansions), this means anyone who is not under optic fiber needs around 5-10 hours in great conditions to download the game.

screenshot_2020-01-08qqj0r.png

Before I was blessed with optic fiber, I had to wait two days to get the game running, which means that I had to lose 2 days of subscription to even have the possibility of playing the game. Why should I use days out of the subscription I paid for just to download a game?

The only alternative is to make a free trial account, download what they have on offer (not the whole game, only the free trial part) just to alleviate the download time after you buy a subscription. Several steps are needed in order to not lose on subscription time. This also means that free trial users have more of an advantage than people willing to pay for a subscription right away, or even long-time customers who stuck with them for the better part of the last decade.

What gives? Users with a slow internet speed are getting shafted, and this is *most* of the world still.

Is this standard among subscription MMOs to have a "fuck you, pay me first" attitude towards downloading the game?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the free trial download the whole game? I just bought it afterwards without downloading more from what I remember.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Isn't the free trial download the whole game? I just bought it afterwards without downloading more from what I remember.
Yes, but the problem is if you've already passed the free trial you have to resubscribe to download the game again if you ever uninstalled it. It's absolute garbage. Not to mention that their patcher can be spotty at best.

I can't think of any other MMO that prevents you from downloading the game unless you have an active sub.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I love FF14, but this has always bothered me as well. Sometimes I unsubscribe to save money, but I would love to keep the game updated for the times when I do come back. Come on SE, let us update the game without a subscription.

Nov 23, 2017
This is one of many strange, user unfriendly things about what is otherwise one of my most beloved, most played games.

There's this, and then we got the fact you cannot unlink a user name to an account on a ps4, ( if you forget your password and the recovery info, you're basically completely unable to play ever again on that PSN profile/account. Seriously.) ,so I have to get all my trophies and make a new main on another PSN.
Then theres the weird fact that you need to pay twice to play it on PS4 and on PC at the same time...can you access the same characters on both platforms?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Never tried it before, but wonder if you can create a free trial account on your platform of choice, log in to the client with that and update the game, and then log in with your regular account after your subscribed with all the files updated via that free trial account. Not sure if a free trial account would download all the expansion files though.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
everything about the client and account system is so so crazy and stupid and bad

i can't even access my account anymore and square's support told me the only thing i could do was to send them a copy of my passport to verify it was me and they would allow me to retrieve my details???

how does this exist

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Before I was blessed with optic fiber, I had to wait two days to get the game running, which means that I had to lose 2 days of subscription to even have the possibility of playing the game. Why should I use days out of the subscription I paid for just to download a game?...

serious question: with that slow of a connection, how well did the game run?...

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty weird that even the installer for the game is hidden away on the site as well. Literally can't find it unless I search for it on Google.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Their backend system is so weird. I bought the PS3 version because it would be Cross Buy with the PS4 version when that hit, but it goes through Square's account system so that I don't actually own the PS4 version on PSN despite being able to download the client and play through that. They couldn't just go through the same route that any other Cross Buy game does through PSN, so it creates weird situations like that giveaway of the expansion last year that I couldn't participate in without rebuying the PS4 starter edition that I think included it anyway. It's dumb and this has kind of always been there since FFXI with PlayOnline despite it being about 15 years later.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's totally baffling and really frustrating at times as somebody who doesn't have great download speeds.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is one of many strange, user unfriendly things about what is otherwise one of my most beloved, most played games.

There's this, and then we got the fact you cannot unlink a user name to an account on a ps4, ( if you forget your password and the recovery info, you're basically completely unable to play ever again on that PSN profile/account. Seriously.) ,so I have to get all my trophies and make a new main on another PSN.
Then theres the weird fact that you need to pay twice to play it on PS4 and on PC at the same time...can you access the same characters on both platforms?
You have to pay for the software and expansions on each platform but the monthly sub is for your account.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you can always just download the free trial launcher before you buy a subscription, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same thing as the main game, purchasing a subscription just unlocks the limited stuff in the free trial.