• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm kind of big into hosting local multiplayer games. It never felt like it was easy enough to play them even as a kid, with all the stuff and people you need. I quickly realized early in university that desperately asking anyone, please, to bring their own controller and some games was usually a fool's errand. I mean, no one else even had a Nintendo DS with Contra 4 to co-op it. What's the point of it all?

So I've done some... practical... collecting over time.

Of course, I've completed my Mario Party collection. Super Mario Party is neat and all, but I mean there's literally 15+ other games full of fresh zany minigame goodness.

Bqta6XYl.jpg

Oh yeah, what's that in the corner? Mario Party-e? I picked this up bundled with an e-reader a few years ago, in great shape. To be honest, it's not full of much depth and the e-reader is kind of a silly dud of a mechanic, but it's all about the novelty! I mean, it lets you play Waluigi's Reign.

fh7Xi1Hl.jpg

But let's not stop there. Mario Party Advance is also maligned as a kind of lame Mario Party entry, without a real 4-player board game mode. But, in fact, Mario Party Advance was apparently packaged with a physical game board. You access a mode called "Bonus Board" from the main menu and then you use the Game Boy Advance to play pseudo minigames and roll the dice. Again, it's a neat novelty, it's pretty much a depthless dice-rolling game, but well...

Being the madman I am, I printed a copy off online and laminated it:

NLpfIO5l.jpg

Being even madder, I play this in person using a Game Boy Player, with four people sharing a controller. Yes, this happened in real life.

1PtV3yCl.jpg

On that note, unfortunately not my pics, but I also often host Mario Party 7 with its team based 8-player mode. Crazy to think there's only one 8-player Mario Party! I always make sure to hook up the GameCube microphone for maximum "wtf" from guests.

iXPEpQal.png

7cUOhzFl.png

Of course, 8-player Mario Party pairs really well with 8-player Mario Kart (Double Dash). It's a shame this is the only GameCube LAN game worth the extra effort, and the only Mario Kart with 4-player splitscreen + LAN!

3eVKp67l.jpg

zNgqDI1l.jpg

I get a lot of use out of my GameCubes. I mean, you can't really play 4-player Donkey Konga without four bongo drums. Not what's pictured here, but 4 people clapping out the Pokemon Theme Song is a decent goof.

SNbp7Ydl.jpg

rmlBOxrl.jpg

Of course, we all know about Nintendo's weird GCN/GBA connectivity. No doubt I've got the cable and a GBA for Pac-Man Vs.

8gMGwQHl.jpg

But really the grand kahuna of GameCube multiplayer is Zelda Four Swords Adventure right? I mean, I've got all I need for that. It's almost old news.

V1i0wefl.jpg

Of course, there's a lot more there. I mean, hasn't everyone looked at some multiplayer Game Boy Advance game and thought "how the heck do they expect me to play this game? I'd need to find four people who all have GBAs, a copy of every game, link cables, a whole wazoo of things." So really, what's the point of being adult if I didn't have four GBAs? Now I just reach into my bag of GBA carts and I'm living the dream. Like, have you played 4-player Kuru Kuru Kururin? F-Zero GX is cool and all, but have you played 4-player F-Zero Climax? Have you played the 4-player co-op metroidvania, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror? It's so rad. Blows my mind sometimes I need to grab this stuff all myself and no one is ever ready to just get down and play DK: King of Swing.

G3XCYtOl.jpg

XGh77bCl.jpg

But I thought, why stop there? If I can make GBA games work, why not DS, or 3DS games? Like how rad would it be to play Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes or 8-player Steel Diver: Sub Wars in real life? And how would I be able to play those 3DS Mario Parties? I mean, the 3DSs were a bit expensive, but scrounging around for them over the last few years through used listings, it wasn't exactly impossible.

Bwasu6sl.jpg

yEQmKGkl.jpg

I mean, this is cool and all, I've hosted some riveting games of 8-player Diddy Kong Racing DS and Brain Age now, but it kind of sucks you can't hook a DS up to a TV like you can through the Game Boy Player. Unless uh, you send your 3DS to Japan to get modded. Now I can host DS games for spectators?? This is uh, definitely not extravagantly impractical. I mean though, have you lived unless you've spectated a Rocket Slime match on the big screen?

DrSr4kxl.jpg

I mean, with all this setup, everyone's seen this hypothetical right? 4 GameCubes, Four Swords? Well, I could do that with my four player Game Boy games as well, eh? Just recently I picked up a 4K TV when I finally jumped into modern gaming, years late, and got obsessed with the idea that a 4K TV is four 1080p quadrants. There are boxes to do this sort of thing, right?

Well yeah uh, turns out there are. And now I'm playing four player Game Boy Advance games, splitscreen through GameCubes, output through a digital-out Carby convertor, on homebrew Game Boy Player software. And it's beautiful, lag-free, pixel perfect. I'm almost tearing up.

xXgsvhJl.jpg

Oh yeah. That's actually only two GameCubes plugged in there, but in the future I'm thinking I could use this for some 8-player Mario Kart 8, 8-player Luigi's Mansion 3, 4-player Mario Maker 2 races, and 16-player (!?!) Halo through some Xbox setups (still considering the trade-off of quality/cost with Xbox One vs. 360 🤔, and we'll have to see how next-gen shakes out). But of course, this will take some more time if I can ever coordinate it with anyone else or accumulate it, lol. And really it would be done more justice on a bigger TV, haha.

Admittedly, it's a bit absurd at this point, but I mean, I could vacation to Paris or buy a car - or I could be the only one in the world to host splitscreen Kirby and the Amazing Mirror games on a single TV with spectators. Seems like an obvious choice, to be honest. Definitely not just trying to rationalize lol.

In a way this is just the tip of the iceberg, I could post some more stupid pics of way too many game controllers, but to dial it down, here's just a picture of people playing Let's Tap on the Wii, the game where I bring four tissue boxes, you put the Wii remote on the tissue box, and you then control the game by tapping the box. It's a riot.

ftGxse7l.jpg

Last edited:

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I was about to disagree, but you're absolutely using this for good, so I'll be sure to put you on the ballot

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
A) This is great
B) I dare you to do a 4 player co-op campaign of Racing Gears Advance just so that I have proof somebody actually did this outside of our studio 16+ years ago
C) That Carby setup!!

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of brag posts I can get behind lol

You're like an all in one 4/8P party house

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
rest of the stuff: i sleep
"Let's Tap" for the Nintendo Wii: real shit

🤜🤛

A) This is great
B) I dare you to do a 4 player co-op campaign of Racing Gears Advance just so that I have proof somebody actually did this outside of our studio 16+ years ago
C) That Carby setup!!

I've actually had Racing Gears Advance on my list since I started putting together a multiplayer GBA collection, but man, the cost of even a single copy is weirdly expensive! So I put it off for awhile and got distracted by some of these other efforts since, lol.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
OP....that's amazing, but I can't help but be a little sad you went through all that work and yet not all of your Gamecubes aren't hooked up to CRTs.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OP....that's amazing, but I can't help but be a little sad you went through all that work and yet your Gamecubes aren't hooked up to CRTs.

I mean, I have a CRT at home but unfortunately no venue is any help. And I can't do this rad 4K splitscreen setup on a CRT, ya know. I'm doing the games justice at the least now to reduce the input lag with the Carbys!

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Thid like the "I have 3 PS3s" Video only in serioud and context with actual games.
awesome Collection OP!

IronYuppie

Oct 28, 2017
Are you playing Smash on your MacBook or somehow connecting just to its screen? (If so, how is this possible?)

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Are you playing Smash on your MacBook or somehow connecting just to its screen? (If so, how is this possible?)

The 3DS video-out mod connects to USB, so it has to be piped through a computer that's connected to the TV. Not so elegant, but the main purpose of this mod is actually for capturing footage for videos and stuff I think, lol. They also seem to sell an in between custom box I think, but I already dropped enough money on just the mod itself, heh.

Edit: Huh, seems like the guy who does this mod is out of business, that's unfortunate. I only squeaked this through last year! https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-capture-card-maker-keity-goes-bankrupt.530448/

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Its like pulling back the curtain and seeing how Picasso creates his masterpieces.

Thank you for this OP

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Very impressive. It's hard to beat the multiplayer Zelda action of Four Swords Adventures and driver-switching of Mario Kart: Double Dash. Heck, even just having someone drop bombs with the GBA was wildly entertaining to me in Wind Waker. You're definitely gonna get a lot of mileage out of that 3DS to TV adaptor. Have you tried exhibiting Electroplankton? That would definitely get people's attention.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've got the Wii microphone that came with animal crossing, fwiw, if you ever find a need for it.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Very impressive. It's hard to beat the multiplayer Zelda action of Four Swords Adventures and driver-switching of Mario Kart: Double Dash. Heck, even just having someone drop bombs with the GBA was wildly entertaining to me in Wind Waker. You're definitely gonna get a lot of mileage out of that 3DS to TV adaptor. Have you tried exhibiting Electroplankton? That would definitely get people's attention.

I actually do have Electroplankton, but I can't imagine how I'd actually make it that entertaining, haha.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm 30% down the path to where the OP is with my collection and predilection for subjecting my friend group to it , and I can't tell if that frightens me or excites me.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I feel like I'm 30% down the path to where the OP is with my collection and predilection for subjecting my friend group to it , and I can't tell if that frightens me or excites me.

A friend showed me this video where the host goes on about a setup involving 4-player Quake on the PS1 using 4 mouses and 4 controllers, and I vibe so hard lol

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am not a fan of Mario Party but that's amazing OP

I considered posting some of the 7-player PS3 games I have and weird 10+ player PC indie games, but I thought I'd slow down a bit lol. And I always wish I could pull off Halo LANs but while I have a 360 setup, I'm not really that hardcore but also not that casual and it's hard to hit a sweet spot of player experience.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible OP. Legend status, truly.

I love the Halo 4 player in the bottom-right while split screen Mario Karting.

Someone at Nintendo or Microsoft please send this person more things, they deserve it.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Incredible OP. Legend status, truly.

I love the Halo 4 player in the bottom-right while split screen Mario Karting.

Someone at Nintendo or Microsoft please send this person more things, they deserve it.

I'm super hyped to pull off a 16 player splitscreen on a single TV, though Xbox Ones and their controllers will take some time to put together. If only more stuff had LAN modes to make it worth it, there's just a small handful of stuff. It's the hardest to justify vs. Nintendo's constant stream of weird multiplayer modes and features.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was going to make a joke but this might actually be the greatest. It's almost as if Nintendo made these options solely so you could utilise them (because, really, it's incredibly impractical to do most of this just hoping you and 3+ friends have the right equipment).

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was going to make a joke but this might actually be the greatest. It's almost as if Nintendo made these options solely so you could utilise them (because, really, it's incredibly impractical to do most of this just hoping you and 3+ friends have the right equipment).

Honestly it surprises me how many GBA games have multiplayer modes, makes you really wonder how many people did play them. Like really, how many people have played DK King of Swing together? It's weird, it has a better multiplayer mode than the otherwise improved DS sequel for some reason.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm super hyped to pull off a 16 player splitscreen on a single TV, though Xbox Ones and their controllers will take some time to put together. If only more stuff had LAN modes to make it worth it, there's just a small handful of stuff. It's the hardest to justify vs. Nintendo's constant stream of weird multiplayer modes and features.
16 players are for amateurs, you need 4 Switches playing 8 players each of Virtua Racing. They may not be LAN connected but that's still a hell of a lot of players on one screen.

xJqh8MTl.jpg
x4

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
16 players are for amateurs, you need 4 Switches playing 8 players each of Virtua Racing. They may not be LAN connected but that's still a hell of a lot of players on one screen.

xJqh8MTl.jpg
x4

Lol yeah not sure it really counts if not LAN connected, but it would be pretty hilarious for novelty. Screencheat on PC also has 8-player splitscreen and fills it in a bit cleaner.

I might have close to enough controllers for this but I think Virtua Racing forces sideways joycons and won't take Pro and GameCube controllers, right? 🤔

Green

Oct 27, 2017

In the case of Xbox, you can system link across all 3 generations of Xbox consoles for certain games that support backwards compatibility on 360 and Xbox One. Crimson Skies for example is an OG Xbox game that can be played both on the 360 and Xbox One via the disc or download and supports system link.

For Halo, you can system link Halo CE and Halo 2 across OG Xbox and Xbox 360. And for Halo 3, you can system link across Xbox 360 and Xbox One, so long as you're using the Xbox 360 version of the game and not Master Chief Collection - you can also play the game on the Xbox One X in 4K while system linked to a 360 playing with you as well. Pretty cool - this also works for Firefight in Halo 3 ODST as well as all the supported modes in Halo Reach. Microsoft's cross-gen legacy system link support is nice.

Dec 14, 2017
Awesome setup op. How does that 4k tv carby multiple systems setup work exactly?

EDIT: Unicorn beat my inquiry, but question still stands

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In the case of Xbox, you can system link across all 3 generations of Xbox consoles for certain games that support backwards compatibility on 360 and Xbox One. Crimson Skies for example is an OG Xbox game that can be played both on the 360 and Xbox One via the disc or download and supports system link.

For Halo, you can system link Halo CE and Halo 2 across OG Xbox and Xbox 360. And for Halo 3, you can system link across Xbox 360 and Xbox One, so long as you're using the Xbox 360 version of the game and not Master Chief Collection - you can also play the game on the Xbox One X in 4K while system linked to a 360 playing with you as well. Pretty cool - this also works for Firefight in Halo 3 ODST as well as all the supported modes in Halo Reach. Microsoft's cross-gen legacy system link support is nice.

I've heard this is a thing but I'm torn between it and the convenience of the MCC collection all on one disc and I assume the performance/resolution is still better on MCC than even the emulated 360 versions? Like for something like splitscreen, additional performance can be very nice to help make the cramped experience comfy.

It seems wrong to make some people suffer on an old school Xbox or 360 if it's a worse experience, haha. I didn't skimp on the Game Boys, they're all AGS-101s with the backlit screen. Nothing worse than a bad controller or offputting experience!

The 4k TV split up for multiple systems is melting my mind. How?
Awesome setup op. How does that 4k tv carby multiple systems setup work exactly?

EDIT: Unicorn beat my inquiry, but question still stands

I guess I can recommend this with these minimal impressions so far, but it's uh, definitely not cheap and not marketed as a consumer product. Haha. I'm still nursing the cost wound, I'm planning to pare back on purchasing for a bit.