• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that made me think of this was a certain adult entertainment site giving all of Italty a month free subscription, AT&T is also removing their broadband data caps. I think it would potentially be life saving and some really good PR to promote the idea of staying home.

I know they rely on those subscription fee's but they could make up for it with the additional users playing in these add-on based ecosystems.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's an ingenious idea, but I think the companies would look at that as losing a ton of revenue. They'd probably rather give away free copies of new games.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt free, but I wouldn't also doubt it if we saw a new Game Pass promotion or something.

They've already got the online sub people locked down and they're only gonna need it more now, but convincing them to try out Game Pass or PSnow with a promotion probably would convert some folks.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
i think Sony relies too much on Plus revenue for that to happen

Free for a month wouldn't impact revenue. They already have the funds from people who paid in advance for online play.
Any dip in revenue from people who are month to month and end up delaying would be offset by the increase of people coming in to play and buying microtransactions for fortnite or whatnot

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Free for a month wouldn't impact revenue. They already have the funds from people who paid in advance for online play.
Any dip in revenue from people who are month to month and end up delaying would be offset by the increase of people coming in to play and buying microtransactions for fortnite or whatnot

Dont need PS+ to play Fortnite

I think it'd make sense but making PS Now free for the next month would make more sense. They should be as aggressive as MS when it comes to free / really really cheap months to get subscribers up

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
How would that work for current subscribers? Give you an extra month for free?
I think instead of Gold or Plus, Giving 1 month free for PS Now & Gamepass makes a bit more sense (and might give users an incentive to stay).

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo online ranges from like $1.70-$4 for a month. You'll probably spend more than that on any single purchase you make tomorrow. It's really only a barrier of entry for people on here

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Dont need PS+ to play Fortnite

I think it'd make sense but making PS Now free for the next month would make more sense. They should be as aggressive as MS when it comes to free / really really cheap months to get subscribers up

I don't play fortnite, no clue how it works. Substitute any game that needs MP and has microtransactions if it suits ya.

But I assumed this isn't really about "making money" or "Getting subscribers up" it's keeping people indoors during the coronavirus nonsense.

Probably good marketing, no idea what you mean by "potentially lifesaving".

At least in the US, any sort of outdoor gathering or activity that consists of a couple hundred people or more is getting shut down to stop the potential transmission of coronavirus.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's an ingenious idea, but I think the companies would look at that as losing a ton of revenue. They'd probably rather give away free copies of new games.
If even a fraction of the people who received free memberships converted into paying memberships it'd be more than worth it.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least in the US, any sort of outdoor gathering or activity that consists of a couple hundred people or more is getting shut down to stop the potential transmission of coronavirus.
Sure, I live in San Francisco where that's the case. Events over 1000 people are banned.
At home playing instead of going out to do whatever.
Don't go out when you're not supposed to?

I don't think giving away free gaming online services is potentially lifesaving.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Sure, I live in San Francisco where that's the case. Events over 1000 people are banned.

Philly announced a ban on 1000+ venues today (or a plan to do so). Many other municipalities, organizations, etc are encouraging shutdown of anything over 250.

I don't think giving away free gaming online services is potentially lifesaving.

Keeping people from spreading an infectious disease by encouraging them to stay indoors very well may be. Or at the very least it's a nice gesture for those who should be in self quarantine.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, this just sounds like an excuse for someone to get a freebie. Frankly, I don't think it'd have an appreciable effect on anyone's gaming habits. Sure, Game Pass, Nintendo Switch Online and PlayStation Now might encourage more people to play more games, but I think the people who prioritize gaming will still prioritize gaming, while people who use gaming as a distraction will still continue to use gaming as a distraction solely when they're unable to get together with others to do something else. It's also worth noting that this is probably gonna be going on for more than a month, and people shouldn't have to be bribed into being responsible as a means of controlling a dangerous situation. If the only thing standing between some people and going outside is not getting a free subscription to a gaming service, then I'm honestly not surprised at how difficult it's been to control this. It's gonna happen, anyway, because people don't care enough about other people to look out for anyone other than themselves and their immediately family/friends.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Don't forget that entertainment companies will be fighting for your time during this quarantine period. With some other subscription-based services going free for a month, people might just decide to enjoy what's free rather than pay up for something else. Remember that today's free costumer is a potential future paying costumer.

If nothing else, it would be great marketing.