• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really don't have the time if they're focusing on fixing the campaign.

Forget a beta anytime soon as well.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's kind of my point. They delayed the game because they didn't realize the state the game was in until they showed it to people and got feedback. That feedback served as the impetus for the delay. It woke them up a bit to what they were doing and made them realize it wasn't ready.

Multiplayer right now is in the same boat. We have no idea what kind of decisions and design goals they've made for Infinite's multiplayer. It could be great, but it could be awful. No one will know until we can see it. If they show people what they're working on, they can start getting feedback now, which gives them more time to work on changes or make major shifts in design if needed.
You do realize you are asking them to make the same mistake they made with the campaign

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Considering the state and love 343 has given Halo 5 MP, I am inclined to disagree that 343 NEED to show it now, especially with the delay. I hope the delay might lead them to consider a beta however with the extra time they have bought themselves.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Is this like the "Sony needs to show the PS5 now or risk doing damage to its long term success!" arguments we saw months ago? They'll show it when it's ready and anyone who is interested will play it.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Imagine some guy on a forum telling a multi bilion dollar company when to show off their game. Amazing.

OP
OP
Maple

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize you are asking them to make the same mistake they made with the campaign

The mistake they made with the campaign was not showing it off sooner. I remember reading through the various Halo and Microsoft Game Studios threads all year - we were all wondering where the hell this game was and why it hadn't been shown off yet. If they had shown this game off at a prior E3, or earlier this year, they would have had that much more time to respond and fix what needed to be fixed - and maybe if they had done so the game would still be coming out in November. But they genuinely didn't know. They waited until a few months before release and were obviously quite surprised by the negative response.

I just don't want the same thing to happen with the multiplayer. I don't want them to wait and show off the multiplayer a few months before the game releases only to have the community respond negatively to some of the decisions they've made. I want it to be the best it can be, and if they detail their intentions now, they can have plenty of time to respond and make corrections to any negative feedback.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
If anything, last months reveal shows that presenting a game in a bad state can do more harm than no presentation at all. Show it when it's ready, it's ok

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The mistake they made with the campaign was not showing it off sooner. I remember reading through the various Halo and Microsoft Game Studios threads all year - we were all wondering where the hell this game was and why it hadn't been shown off yet. If they had shown this game off at a prior E3, or earlier this year, they would have had that much more time to respond and fix what needed to be fixed - and maybe if they had done so the game would still be coming out in November. But they genuinely didn't know. They waited until a few months before release and were obviously quite surprised by the negative response.

I just don't want the same thing to happen with the multiplayer. I don't want them to wait and show off the multiplayer a few months before the game releases only to have the community respond negatively to some of the decisions they've made. I want it to be the best it can be, and if they detail their intentions now, they can have plenty of time to respond and make corrections to any negative feedback.

I think you are mistaken if you think they only went like "oh shit guess this isn't ready" after showing gameplay of it. At most that was the weight the devs needed to get more time, not the sole deciding factor. They very likely knew before showing it what state it was in. Just that marketing doesnt always align with developers insight.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I just don't think 343 is cut out for this anymore, they need major restructuring to be put on the right track, and the workflow they've got seems to be pretty poor, and if rumors of how it is to work at 343 are to be taken with any grain of salt. It really seems like a shitty place to work at.

I wish they could be trusted, but we're 3 games in and it's still difficult to consider buying Infinite this far in. Hopefully they can prove themselves but they seriously need to pick up the slack. This was supposed to be the launch title for the Series X. Extremely wary of the state it could release in.

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

They have been pretty open on halo way point and explained their struggles with the beta and Covid. They can't rush a statement on multiplayer right now and risk further damage.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Halo 5's multiplayer was the best part of Halo 5 the whole time it was released yes.

But it was also pretty garbage for the first few months... But it was competing against the Halo 5 story that didn't make any sense to the promotional material, so it looked better. I'd rather play 4's multiplayer than Halo 5 launch Multiplayer.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I don't think HALO Infinite is going to bring in any new fans to the series, this is aimed at the established, hardcore fanbase and those that perhaps fell away after the 4th or 5th instalment.

If you have a core fanbase like HALO does I don't think that delaying the Infinite multiplayer really makes that much difference. The HALO faithful want it and are prepared to wait.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
"It is absolutely imperative that 343 show fans actual gameplay of Halo Infinite. Keeping it hidden away from the world will damage it long term."

I feel like this would have been the thread title a month ago when we were still living in BC (Before Craig).

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I don't think HALO Infinite is going to bring in any new fans to the series, this is aimed at the established, hardcore fanbase and those that perhaps fell away after the 4th or 5th instalment.

If you have a core fanbase like HALO does I don't think that delaying the Infinite multiplayer really makes that much difference. The HALO faithful want it and are prepared to wait.

The mp is going F2P and will no doubt have loads of cool new sandbox modes similar to BRs.

Of course it's going to try and attract new fans. But it can also wait. Kids these days don't care so much about next gen etc. It's not such a big deal these days.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 MP was the best they've ever made, so I have faith in them that they'll get it right.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I guess trying to do a large scale multiplayer beta for Series X is hard when series X isn't available to buy

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Seems like a pretty entitled take. I don't see why they need to show things so far in advance. You know you don't have to buy the game day 1 yeah?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's no use for that right now, they can't afford another bad showing. It's better to take some time and show it again when they have something that can enthusiasm people.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The delay seems focused on how the game looks. How the game plays seemed to not be a big concern? And Halo 5 MP is also well regarded.

So how Halo Infinite's MP will play I'm not seeing where this over the top demand/concern is coming from.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The mp is going F2P and will no doubt have loads of cool new sandbox modes similar to BRs.

Of course it's going to try and attract new fans. But it can also wait. Kids these days don't care so much about next gen etc. It's not such a big deal these days.

It can try.

I just think HALO is now too established to suddenly have some second life that attracts a whole new sway of fans.

We shall see.

Last edited:

vypermajik

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I have much love for Halo. But 343 has trashed this franchise in many many ways. I can't support them or the product. It's crap. Let's not pretend it isn't.

its time for Xbox to take a long hard look at this studio and to make proper moves

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
they'll show it when it's ready. I think it's better to show when it's ready than to show it too early.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is some pretty flowery language to describe the lack of multiplayer footage of a delayed game. We'll get info prior to its actual launch. Just chill.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
They just delayed the game.... Halo 5's multiplayer wast great, soI don't think we have anything to worry about.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoint: no they don't. Companies owe you jack shit, and folk will still jump on it when it's ready all the same.

It's been a day since they pushed it back, chill out.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point in time, immediately after delaying the game... I don't consider this a problem at all. They can wait until it's more ready to show. Look what happened when they showed off campaign before it was ready. Their only imperative right now is to make the game good. They don't need to show anything.

But as we approach actual release, sure. At that point they should start making with the goods, having a demo, etc.
That could still be a ways off, though.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly given how prolific the rumors were about Infinite launching without MP, and the names behind those rumors being fairly respected, I wouldn't be surprised if "Launch without MP" was on the table until very recently, and the reason the game got delayed into 2021 is specifically because of the Multiplayer, and not the reaction to the game's art direction.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Show it when its ready.
The games already delayed until who knows when.

tenor.gif

Thought the same thing when I saw that wall of text

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
The game is probably years from finished. If they truely want to have a technichal showcase title it will take another 2-3 years. It's obvious that they are hiding some truely unpleasant development problems.

Dec 11, 2017
MP beta at or near the Series X launch could provide valuable feedback and potentially restore confidence in the game.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The game is probably years from finished. If they truely want to have a technichal showcase title it will take another 2-3 years. It's obvious that they are hiding some truely unpleasant development problems.
If it was going to launch in November until the call was just recently made, it is not 2-3 for dev to be completed. Not saying there weren't dev troubles but nah on it taking another 2-3 years

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think you did it. When I read the thread title I was like "no way this will push 343 to reveal the Halo Infinite MP way ahead of schedule amid a delay!"...but then I read your post, and now I'm confident we'll see it within the next 72 hours. Mark my words!

(They'll show it when its ready and it won't do any damage to the game or its sales)