• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
interestingly, OP, I find that the inability to discuss calmly is because we're at the fringes of the enthusiast forum. People care very passionately about what could be considered very minor things, which is a double-edged sword, of positive hype and outrage threads about basically nothing. This passion is what makes an enthusiast forum an interesting place, rather than where people just agree.

The Sekiro hard mode thread was something I nope'd out of because I was not interested in counter-arguing "git gud".

I personally do not see many false attributions of harassment here, mostly a lot of people who don't think that much about what they're posting (like "I don't want politics in my videogames"). I don't see why people shouldn't be called out for it. they sure as hell aren't on gamefaqs, reddit or any of the chans, let alone the other place.

What we need is more people actually engaging with other, instead of just talking across each other then dismissing the other as mental. In the spirit of the Internet being a microcosm of life we could also do with it irl, to be honest.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It's okay, I'm sorry I rushed to defend myself. Our little exchange is another reason I don't like to discuss heavy things on random online forums, without nuance and context I took your genuinely curious question too personally and responded a little too aggressively.
Don't worry about it, that's why we can talk it out :) that's also why discussions often end in negativity online to begin with - it's impossible to tell if something was geniune, sarcasm or straight up trolling.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I don't quite agree. If I see how discussions were 15 years ago, then I prefer the discussions of today much more.

Yes there are many times where I literally could scream at the screen for what I read here or the ignorancy of some users. And the back and forth fights are really tiresome or I can get angry when users imply things. But I don't try to let me affect too much, and if I feel it's too much, I just leave the thread.

I also feel a bit sorry for the mods here after reading this thread. I actually probably don't share 8 of 10 times the same opinion as the mods and I feel that they very often react and act completely wrong and unfair and would like to scream at them. But I can see that they really try to make it a good place.

And if I think about that of 100 threads I personally feel that 80 of them are good and 20 are horrible, then I think it's totally worth to visit this board.

I think I get you OP, but I think the majority of the time it is possible to have calm discussions here. It's just that the negative ones stand out the most.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Agree totally OP. Some threads pushed people out for any dissagrement but with a poll showed opposite results. Certain groups push people out and try to be the loudest. Polls showed me the majority does not agree.

The gotcha threads pushed me away from this place. My opinion, this place is worse than the old one. Only a certain type of poster is welcome here. They push this as the mainstream.

Topic comes up agree or ban. Agree or dog pile.
Sekiro hard mode thread turning into people hating others with Dissabilities was the end of taking this place seriously.

First thread had pole that backfired on the fake outrage. Then when it died new thread same thing no pole worded differently pops up.

Same posters shout and push point as fact but with no poll to show true forum concensis. It's a joke.

Actually yes. The sekiro thing. No easy mode meant you wanted to exclude disabled gamers. That did give me pause.

We've been seeing things like that for a long time now and it has to go further and further all the time. As more posters learn how to edit themselves or what to say to fit in, it evolves. Too bad for normal people who read this place and have no idea whats going on.

Jun 4, 2018
This segment of the gaming community in particular. It's just a continuation of NeoGAF, but somehow - and I do mean somehow, because my lord, it was bad there - people want to force things down your throat to an even greater degree here. Personally, the bigger problem, for me, is that discussing anything related to Kojima is an impossibility. Not even "You have to work around some bad takes," but rather "Why even say anything as it pertains to him, because we know how this ends."

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
We always welcome good faith criticism and feedback, and read every post and listen to every concern. However, this thread has since run its course and is closed to further replies. We recommend everyone read our FAQ for our posting guidelines and site policies, as well as the thoughtful posts made by staff in this very thread:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/23680370
https://www.resetera.com/posts/23731262
https://www.resetera.com/posts/23675572

Please contact a moderator captain if you have any further feedback to provide for the team. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.