• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
MS tried something similar (but much more basic) with their game generator and while some people did produce some fantastic stuff, even that was too complicated and time consuming for people to invest time into.

They need to get to Minecraft ease of use for it be a real success.
A minecraft-esque mode would be brilliant to be honest. Keep all the creation tools, but generate a world you can sculpt to your hearts content.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there's merit to OP line of thought of restricting Dreams as a 3d platformer. Establish a tight base of 3d control physics and let user focus on creating levels.

Basically the mario maker approach. All level made in mario maker will control well since it use the mario physics. The same can't be said with dreams where user had to create the control feel and animation from scratch if they didnt want to use the janky puppet system

That said, I do like that Dreams is capable of so much more.

Looking at LBP, restricting it to just 3D platformers means that creators will just find a way to do something else with it, and those would be the most interesting creations.

The point of Dreams is that it could be anything you could dream up.

The game is too open and too complex. It's to the point that the people investing as much time as they are/need to to make a good game should have just made an actual game instead and sold it.

What makes Little Big Planet or Mario Maker work well is that it isn't just a "make your own" game. It's a "make your own mix of creative levels in a well known and popular concept/game". The difference is a ratio of how much energy and effort needs to be put into making something worth actually playing and what does the developer get out of it/how many people will play it. No one wants to spend months making a game when they could have just made it in Unity or something and actually sell it and get popular enough to become a business or brand.

Honestly this thread baffles me.
Dreams allows you to remix any creation and make it your own, whilst crediting the original creators.

And this whole 'make it in UNITY so you could sell it' crap is the worst take of the year.

Last edited:

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Don't worry I understand why it's not. I wish they would make an exception for a game that could clearly benefit from the PC environment. Put it on its own launcher, require a PSN subscription to play, you don't even have to go third party for it. I get that it won't happen though. I just think it's limiting itself that way. When I see the Renpy community making bank on patreon by making shitty games just because it's easy and on PC, I wonder if Dreams could ever come close if it sticks to a closed environement.
I was already advocating putting Dreams on PC to increase the user base, so don't need to convince me on this point.

But your posts seem to imply that it will work better on PC which I really fail to see how. Is it about using mouse and keyboard? Because that does not sound like an improvement over a DS4 for this game, let alone a pair of moves.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I was already advocating putting Dreams on PC to increase the user base, so don't need to convince me on this point.

But your posts seem to imply that it will work better on PC which I really fail to see how. Is it about using mouse and keyboard? Because that does not sound like an improvement over a DS4 for this game, let alone a pair of moves.
It's also about the ease of sharing and the proximity with sites that can provide income for the creators. As I said, most of Patreon deliver content that can be shared on PC, be it games, mods, art, music... And nowadays Patreon is key to nurture big communities. It basically revived the Sims 4 community for instance, the emulation community, the VN fan games... You really need something like that.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
You literally needed to be a programmer to make (good) Warcraft 3 user made maps, and that community made a custom map bigger than the actual game, DOTA.
I wouldn't worry about Dreams.
I feel like being a programmer could even hamper your progression in Dreams sometimes. Some simple things you'd use all the time in a programming language like arrays and if/else functions are not available to you and you'd have to find a workaround. Which sometimes means you have to set things up in a whole different way from the start.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why? Making a halfway decent game is a lot of work and quite complicated in Dreams too. I don't see why someone would put in so much work without getting paid. Some enthusiasts might like with Skyrim mods etc but I don't think there will be more than a handful actual good games made in Dreams

Play Dreams, Give Unity a shot. And then share your judgement. They are vastly different beasts.

They are also not mutually exclusive. Dreams will be a stepping stone for people new to creating, and for experienced developers it can be used as a quick prototyping tool.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
There's fun in just creating stuff. I made a crapton of stuff in LBP with my brother that we never published online but it was some of the most fun we've had, more than actually playing the campaign or community levels.

Would it be great if you could publish your Dreams creations elsewhere? Yes. Do I have to make money to enjoy something? Nah.

The difference between Media Molecule's approach and other attempts like Project Spark is that they make the creation process really fun and satisfying in itself. The idea that someone would put in time creating something for nothing other than personal gratification being unbelievable feels cynical to the core to me.

To address the thread itself though, it does seem there's way better art content right now than playable experiences. I feel like the campaign MM is building will go a long way towards helping players build a mental image of what a good level is like and how to construct them (given that the campaign is made with the same tools).

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
That's pretty much what I said. For basic things and prototypes Dreams is good, but actual good games are still complicated enough and will probably be very rare.
Good games don't have to be complicated though and Dreams actually puts you on the path of actually designing your game instead of setting up the basics.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
It's also about the ease of sharing and the proximity with sites that can provide income for the creators. As I said, most of Patreon deliver content that can be shared on PC, be it games, mods, art, music... And nowadays Patreon is key to nurture big communities. It basically revived the Sims 4 community for instance, the emulation community, the VN fan games... You really need something like that.
So you're saying that the PC community would better embrace this kind of games, perhaps because of its modding culture and such? That very well could be.

I mean you buy a console because it's plug and play and you don't want to tweak or fiddle with settings and such. I hope at least the players come en masse when they game releases because having an outreach of max 100k players ain't gonna cut it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who put a lot of time into creation on LBP (iirc I had a full campaign almost finished on lbp3) this game is a REALLY hard sell. Lbp managed to ride a fine line for creativity where it's just simplified enough to knock stuff out quick but also has the depth to experiment. Dreams goes quite a lot deeper, to the extent that as someone else already pointed out, it makes much more sense for me to do whatever that idea is on Unity instead as I could at least try sell it after and have further developed skills that are useful outside of a game.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I REALLY want dreams to succeed. MM has done right now the best/bigger "game-making" game ever. These types of games are amazing for the industry as it helps kids learn the basics of game design or programming logic (just like Minecraft).

The problem with these games is that if they don't have a "big-seller", most of the times they are just flops. Project Spark tried to have that with Conker and just plain failed. Garry's Mod had some and succeeded like crazy. So unless something crazy happens I think Dreams is doomed to fail. No creator wants to invest time into something that is "dead", and no consumer wants to play something that doesn't have creations.
This happened to Little Big Planet for PS Vita. Great game, but almost nobody wanted to invest time in it.

Maybe streamers could help the game. I think many people would appreciate it if their favorite streamer is playing their creation live on Twitch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think all of the "Dreams should've focused only on platforming" are missing the point. The fun part of Dreams is that you can pretty much create anything and share it with others, not that it's a glorified Little Big Planet. The game has been out for 2 months and there's already some amazing creations, by the time the game comes out the community will be much more mature in terms of how they create stuff.

Can't say I see the "they should be allowed to sell stuff to be motivated" posts either. The thing about creating games in Dreams is that it's fun. If you don't feel motivated to create anything... then just play whatever the community has made.

Yeah I think Dreams would fare better if it had a controllable 3D mascot other than the cursor. Something like sackboy that is a very customizable default that you can maybe tweak while having the piece of mind that it will control well. I wanted to build massive levels and puzzlers like I do in Fortnite Creative but needing to make a controllable character is a huge turn off.
You have a couple of premade characters available, and you can search for characters that the community has made.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who put a lot of time into creation on LBP (iirc I had a full campaign almost finished on lbp3) this game is a REALLY hard sell. Lbp managed to ride a fine line for creativity where it's just simplified enough to knock stuff out quick but also has the depth to experiment. Dreams goes quite a lot deeper, to the extent that as someone else already pointed out, it makes much more sense for me to do whatever that idea is on Unity instead as I could at least try sell it after and have further developed skills that are useful outside of a game.

Eh... I really don't agree.

Dreams is a complex tool but it's nowhere near as complicated as learning all the things you'd have to do to build a game in Unity. Getting a decent result between animation, art, audio and logic in Dreams is far more achievable than it is on Unity. The other point is that, while you can't sell things in Dreams, being able to publish to an engaged audience of people is a major positive. It's all very well to think that you could 'at least try to sell it' after building something in Unity, but there is a gigantic gap between making a game and being in a position to publish it and an even bigger one between publishing it and making even a remotely meaningful amount of money.

If your intention is to get into the games industry, then yes, I would suggest Unity over Dreams (though I'm not sure I'd actually suggest Unity over other options...) If you want to make a game? I'd suggest Dreams over Unity.

(I'm a professional game developer with some unity experience, and I love Dreams)

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
To address the thread itself though, it does seem there's way better art content right now than playable experiences. I feel like the campaign MM is building will go a long way towards helping players build a mental image of what a good level is like and how to construct them (given that the campaign is made with the same tools).
Completely agree with this, there's right now much better art than video games. I think part of it is of course that it's harder to make games. Another aspect is an artist has a much larger audience. Make some beautiful landscape and publish a photo or time lapse on Twitter and get immediate feedback. With games you are limited to the 100k players that have the game.

Another thing is that their sculpting tools are simply amazing. I'm not am expert but they look state of the art. Had so much fun using them. In comparison, my impression was that the animation tools are the weakest. Logic tools seem fine, but debugging can be a bit tedious and from what I understand they took away some features from the beta that would help with debugging. All in all, it is such a fantastic tool. Hopefully, Mm is making a stellar game with it and significantly more people bite into it.

The community aspect is very important because the more assets, levels, contraptions, logic elements etc. are out there the easier it'll get to make good games.

And good games will come with Dreams. Proof: Mm is making a game with it.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
It's a valid point OP, and I hope by launch MM have made it easier to remix.

But give them time goddamn. The purpose of the early access was to get creators messing around with the tools, providing feedback so MM could optimise those tools for a larger audience. Getting a variety of user created content by launch is just a byproduct of that.

If in 12 months this particular aspect hasn't been improved then I think it should be brought up again.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Why always trying to bring the money excuses as a motivator to create good stuffs in Dreams?
You can spend a lot of effort and trying to make a good game so you can feel a sense of accomplishement from others, share designs and iterate on good stuffs instead.
It's just that most of the time, if you want to iterate on already made levels from others, those are not remixable. For example, I would like to take that PT demo and use the level design to make something else completely, but the creation is not remixable... it's up to the users to let their level be remixable so we can improve upon them and make good level design.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm making specific critiques about the game after having played through hundreds of creations. Media Molecule needs to somehow encourage more iteration and more complex level design.

Time is what people need to make more complex things - you think after a month or two you're going to have some full game at a AAA level or something? Dreams is an easy to use tool for all kinds of creations - not some kind of game dev black magic for goodness sake.

People do not need to be told what they should or shouldn't be doing in dreams - people are free to do what they want from sculpting to making full games. Maybe if you leave it more than a few months you'll see something that in your opinion is worth your time........

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I mean, Dreams is an amazing tool, but it won't make anyone a good level designer automatically, certain things comes with experience.
It's a game maker tool, not an automatic good game generator, and fortunately i might add.

Play my game Little Jumps it has ok level design!

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... I really don't agree.

Dreams is a complex tool but it's nowhere near as complicated as learning all the things you'd have to do to build a game in Unity. Getting a decent result between animation, art, audio and logic in Dreams is far more achievable than it is on Unity. The other point is that, while you can't sell things in Dreams, being able to publish to an engaged audience of people is a major positive. It's all very well to think that you could 'at least try to sell it' after building something in Unity, but there is a gigantic gap between making a game and being in a position to publish it and an even bigger one between publishing it and making even a remotely meaningful amount of money.

If your intention is to get into the games industry, then yes, I would suggest Unity over Dreams (though I'm not sure I'd actually suggest Unity over other options...) If you want to make a game? I'd suggest Dreams over Unity.

(I'm a professional game developer with some unity experience, and I love Dreams)

Oh yeah for sure you'd still have quicker results in Dreams. It's definitely still a world of difference between it and actually making a game. And I cant deny how much work there is to learn each individual aspect of making a game from scratch (humanoid animation is a bane on my life) in comparison to the tools provided in Dreams.

But I guess to me theres a natural progression from these games, which is perhaps their greatest aspect. For me I started on lbp, then went onto modding for KSP via Blender/Unity, then sculpting etc as a hobby for pure fun and eventually converting/modifying models for VRchat, which got me to try Maya and now I kind of just experiment with both that and Unity.

So in a sense it was MM games that led me down this path anyway (I actually tried UE3 and CryEngine during the lbp days but I was out of my depth at the time) as they were a window into a field that interested me but was beyond my understanding. Eventually it gave me the confidence to take a step through the door instead, but I've never felt the need to look back through the window as much.

Dreams is amazing, but the freedom it provides does make me feel I should be looking at industry tools instead. Perhaps more so as I don't have the skills to be a part of the industry so I see each project as a step closer. Whereas in contrast if I was already well versed enough to land a job with it I might feel less like I'm burning time I could be investing into industry tools instead.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Level designing is super really hard, even a few professional studio can make astonishing ones.
So it's no surprise user made levels in those sort of games mostly end up being trash or stolen from popular ones. Basically you need to find a follow good content creators.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you have to put way to much in to dreams for what you get out.
i'd rather spend the time learning a programing language and do a proper game that i own.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm not a fan of MM's designs, lbp was one of the worst mechanically playing platformers I've ever tried.

Lets be honest, Dreams probably needs 2-3 years of people working on content before we start to see real, meaningful stuff come from it. I understand OP's concerns, but that's probably why the game is in super early access. A full retail release probably shouldn't come out until fall 2020, and even that might be early.

HiHowAreYou

May 31, 2019
Using my second ever ResetEra post to say: Lots of real dumb takes in this thread from people that are clearly not part of and experiencing the Early Access.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a pretty depressing thread. I've been interested in making my own game for a long time now but I'm bad at coding and it bores me to hell so I have no interest in even trying to learn it. I've not played dreams yet but the idea of the tools being powerful enough to make any kind of game is exciting. Hearing people want that limited just because the games made won't technically be "good" is just sad.

I'm confident the people who care to create will learn and make some really high quality stuff that the people who care to play will be able to find and enjoy.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the scope of the game but I still feel its a mistake not having a central character and story. LBP appealed to many people and children because of it

Dreams just look dark and dreary in comparison.

I like the levels Ive seen but they always feel basic to me. Outside the wow factor of "how did u do this" I dont see reasons to play through these games as if its a serious, polished creation.

I also think they should be opening up creating on PC. Why cant this be a thing?

And I 100% think there should be a built in way to donate to content creators. This generation pays ppl to watch others play video games and do Irl streams

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I love Dreams to death and I'm trying to piece a game together but right now I feel limited (especially by the 1 GB local save). For what it's worth OP, right now it will feel like a bunch of demos and basic prototypes and that's ok. Developing bigger projects in Dreams will take time. I'm currently doing all assets by myself and it'll take me a year before I've created enough for 5-6 levels. Then I have to think about characer models, animation, gameplay. It's rough and thus we can't expect anything cool unless dedicated groups work together.

I'm also convinced this game will get a PS5 release without annoying current limits like save data storage and amount of allowed assets in a scene. That's when I'll start creating more stuff again.

Right now I have to make tons of compromises, very creative use of modular assets which I need to reuse over and over again and even then it won't be enough from what I can see. Right now a simple wood shack need to be a background house, a wooden floor, a wood roof or a wooden fence / wall. I practically have to think about every fence or lamp post and how to make it multi purpose which can become quite annoying at the moment. Otherwise I won't be able to make a ~6 hour experience. The potential of this game is huge though and it's not even properly out yet, so I'm optimistic.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I love Dreams to death and I'm trying to piece a game together but right now I feel limited (especially by the 1 GB local save). For what it's worth OP, right now it will feel like a bunch of demos and basic prototypes and that's ok. Developing bigger projects in Dreams will take time. I'm currently doing all assets by myself and it'll take me a year before I've created enough for 5-6 levels. Then I have to think about characer models, animation, gameplay. It's rough and thus we can't expect anything cool unless dedicated groups work together.

I'm also convinced this game will get a PS5 release without annoying current limits like save data storage and amount of allowed assets in a scene. That's when I'll start creating more stuff again.

Right now I have to make tons of compromises, very creative use of modular assets which I need to reuse over and over again and even then it won't be enough from what I can see. Right now a simple wood shack need to be a background house, a wooden floor, a wood roof or a wooden fence / wall. I practically have to think about every fence or lamp post and how to make it multi purpose which can become quite annoying at the moment. Otherwise I won't be able to make a ~6 hour experience. The potential of this game is huge though and it's not even properly out yet, so I'm optimistic.

I'm sure the game will leave early access when the PS5 launches and that the game will be much better on PS5, yeah. The PS4 is a little too weak to run a lot of levels well without creators having to try to reduce detail and stuff and that's... kind of lame to do.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand ppls complaints but don't agree with them. Mind you this is MM here which spawned tons of games from other developers feeding off of the success and template of Lbp ala Spark, Mario Maker etc and thy know what they are doing. There is no right or wrong way to get into Dreams. The point is to give you a tutorial and drop you in and see what you can create. Naturally some will be better than others but the point is for you to invest your time and see what you come out with. If you are not good at it do what I love to do and that's enjoy the hundreds eventually thousands of user created content.

This game will be successful if the marketing is on point. Reviews will be high meta as oar the course with Media Molecules great games.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really hope this game succeeds, I love everything I've seen. As content creation matures I think it will hit its full potential. People are still in early days, figuring this thing out.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a creator, but I still check into the newest levels every week or two and stuff just keeps getting bigger, more complicated, and more polished. Very interested to see the future with these tools.

I have a feeling that visiting Spencer Mansion or Shadow Moses in VR is only going to happen in Dreams because big pubs dont seem to give a shit about VR tourism experiences

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My brother literally said this would be the potential issue, I still bought it. Just want to support creatives but I can understand a skilled dev would just think...."I'm going to actually make a real game and charge for it"
if you're a skilled dev you would have a job developing games. Obviously this is for amateurs.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I love Dreams and I've been working on a first person adventure game slowly but surely for a couple months now but I'll admit, when I load up dreamsurfing and like 25% of what I get is stuff that I've played before from the beta, it's not confidence inspiring

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I don't underestimate the amount of time "some" people will put into the game. The point is "some" great user-created content made by "some" dedicated players won't make this a success. It will be a clusterfuck with tons of shit to wade through and even you seem to agree that Sony will lose money over it, so I'm not sure where we disagree.

It's more an if thing at this point. We simply haven't seen what MM is doing for THEIR campaign at this point.

How much did Sony lose with PD dev'ing GTS for years? I think Sony needs to calm the tiddies on this one. Dreams will be fine.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love Dreams and I've been working on a first person adventure game slowly but surely for a couple months now but I'll admit, when I load up dreamsurfing and like 25% of what I get is stuff that I've played before from the beta, it's not confidence inspiring

I still say that they need better filtering tools for dreamsurfing. It's tough to find stuff that isn't most popular or simply marked as recommended by MM.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not asking anything, it's like Mario Maker 2, some people have fun doing stuff and others just playing other people levels.
Mario Maker is a much simpler game, and as a result it's easier to build a level in Mario Maker than it is to create a game in dreams. If you want people to spend time making amazing things for free the process has to be simple and fun. Minecraft is another good example of this. People like building things in Minecraft because it's simple. It's basically legos.

Dreams requires a ton of effort. That's not to say there won't be amazing creations, but the barrier to entry is far higher than a game like Mario Maker. It's not crazy to say that the end result may not be worth all the effort. I hope I'm wrong because dreams is an amazing creative tool, but there comes a point where something is maybe too good. At what point would it be better to just work with actual game making tools? That's the biggest issue I see Dreams facing. It's so good that the limitations might be more annoying than they would be in a far more simplistic game.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
if you're a skilled dev you would have a job developing games. Obviously this is for amateurs.

The number of people with the talent, time and willpower to build and publish game that is able to gain any kind of meaningful audience, even for free, is extremely minimal. It's far easier to do that in Dreams than elsewhere. I have a job developing games, and I still make stuff in Dreams.

Dreams is for amateurs, but in the latin literal sense: Dreams is for people that love making audio, visual and interactive content.

Mario Maker is a much simpler game, and as a result it's easier to build a level in Mario Maker than it is to create a game in dreams. If you want people to spend time making amazing things for free the process has to be simple and fun. Minecraft is another good example of this. People like building things in Minecraft because it's simple. It's basically legos.

It's far easier to make something not-bad in Mario Maker than it is in Dreams, but no easier to make something great in Mario Maker than in Dreams.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Early access is like 2 months old. Many people still need to grasp the mechanics let alone make a game. Also many people who have it dont want to make games and want to make assets, animations, etc. You guys are expecting a lot for something that has barely been out and is fairly complex. I am having fun when I get the time to play with it

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The feeling you get of things being in super infancy is because things are in super infancy. Towards the beginning, characters made from scratch for exceedingly rare. one of the first things I did in the game was start making a character from scratch and it was actually going pretty good. At least my keyframe animations. I didn't get much farther than that as it takes a long time.

A few months later, the frequency of that has increase dramatically. I was surfing on it the other day and I think I played three games each with a fully custom characters. that was probably among the 15 I played in that session. Towards the beginning, that number would be often more like zero with practically every game using the dummy as a base.

As far as the remix function goes, I like it. I've seen some really good projects with remixed stuff, although those may have been from active collaborators. Time will tell if the community embraces this. I've used it a couple times and it's a really easy way to make something. Like, you can have something going in 3 or 4 hours between shmearching for your assets and sticking them together. You just type tree and you pick from a million trees. It's sweet.

Your observation from the beginning of the early access here is valid but the actual severity of these things is negligible at this point.