• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To add on to your point, Playstation 5 (and 4) support only up to 4 controllers.

Whereas XBox One, XBox Series X|S, PC and Switch all support 8 controllers. This is glaring in multi-player games like Super Bomberman R.

Capture.jpg

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm not the biggest multiplayer fan out there, but Sony absolutely can do better with multiplayer. They have a lot of games that could benefit from it. I do feel like they're trying at least, with Sackboy, Destruction All Stars, Ghost of Tsushima and (maybe) TLOU2 Factions.

I miss Warhawk/Starhawk so bad though. One of the few multiplayer games I got into.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I don't understand this kind of thinking at all. A company's main goal is to make profits or care about your "type of consumer"?

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Those games all failed commercially and while I wouldn't mind another stab at one of them, Sony knows its customer base. Third party easily fills that void, but there is a huge graveyard of multplayer focused games that had big plans. That type pf game is risky and in the end you'll have to give it away on Plus to ensure a chance at a good start at least. And even then, most of those games fail...

Uncharted, The Last of Us and Resistance failed commercially? That's not true.

Heck, even some of the smaller titles like Warhawk and Fat Princess didn't fail commercially. Starhawk did, but not Warhawk. Their sequels just seemed to misunderstand their identity, for whatever reason, which seems like a management issue rather than an issue with the success of multiplayer games.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I read it, the OP wants stuff on PS platforms that other platforms already offer. We must accept that every company has a different strategy and this strategies can change anytime.

The OP also wants those specific PlayStation games to return. Pretty sure they're not on Xbox unless you're talking about baseball.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I love the PS single player, story-driven exclusives but I would really like if they threw in more of the games you mentioned in the mix. Particularly MP shooters.
I'll probably pick up a XSS when Halo Infinite releases and in case the multiplayer is as good as it used to be.
Guess we'll have to wait for the next battlefield or something from Guerilla at this point though.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and it will probably flop like the long list of games the OP posted.

It's developed by a third party who previously made an equally mediocre game (Switch Blade). What were Sony expecting here? In any case, I'm asking for first party support from Sony's internal studios.

FTLMantis

Oct 28, 2017
It's even worse than that: if you aren't into cinematic action games sony doesn't care about you. Basically the only Sony game I liked last gen was gravity rush and they just fired that studio. Sony is perhaps the most vanilla AAA developer in the history of videogames at this point and it's very sad when you think about the games they used to make.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
A polished up Warhawk with some new maps should be incredibly popular. Love that game.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Someone's loss is someone's gain.

I prefer singleplayer games so Im all for Sonys focus in this direction.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is how I feel but for Japanese games. I want a fancy, new consoles with better graphics & super-fast load times, but Sony doesn't make JRPGs like they did in the PS1 & PS2 era or the kind of quirky games that they made during the PS1-3 era like Parappa & Tokyo Jungle. My favorite developer at Sony, Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Rush), left and started his own company. And more and more 3rd party games are going multiplatform. So part of me wants to buy a PS5, but I'm probably better off just sticking with my laptop & Switch.
All that plus Ueda's output.

That said, Toyama and Ueda's next projects are probably going to be multiplat, so that'll probably be good for everyone.

May 12, 2020
Didn't they literally release a social multiplayer game for free on PS+ just this month?

This and Ghost MP is pretty good. Obviously, Sony is focused on SP games which is what has been working great for them. I think most people play COD Warzone and Fortnite; that's why you see Sony partnering with them because they can't compete. I, for one, would rather Sony focus on SP games because that's their strength.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
The OP also wants those specific PlayStation games to return. Pretty sure they're not on Xbox unless you're talking about baseball.
Well, they won't return. I do miss the more quirky mp experiences of the PS3 era but we must accept it wasn't profitable for most companies that tried it, that's just a reality.

Oct 27, 2017
Someone's loss is someone's gain.

I prefer singleplayer games so Im all for Sonys focus in this direction.

Same. Sure, it sucks for those who love MP games, but I only play story-driven SP games and ignore anything related to MP/online gaming, so I'm pleased as punch that Sony's giving me more of what I like. You win some, lose some.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Ghost of Tsushima Legends
Sackboy online co-op
Destruction All-Stars

All in the past 5 months. Sony sure has abandoned multiplayer.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Never thought I would see somebody being nostalgic about Uncharted's multiplayer modes.

Things don't happen for free and if missing multiplayer and "social play", whatever this is, means better singleplayer games, I'm all for it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this kind of thinking at all. A company's main goal is to make profits or care about your "type of consumer"?

The main goal is to make profits, but losing fans hurts profits in the long run. It's very beneficial to a platform to have a wide variety of games. That's why Nintendo is so successful - they've got such a huge variety of games (most of which are all-ages to boot) that a wide variety of people can find games that they'll enjoy there. Whereas Sony is becoming more and more focused on a specific demographic so their games are selling exceptionally well among that demographic, but it's alienating people who aren't in that demographic.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Well I mean, Ghost of Tsushima got a really amazing MP expansion. Factions is definitely coming. Guerilla is working on a MP title too. I think the UI bit is super valid but will probably be reworked over time

That's true, I did like Ghost of Tsushima. I think Horizon will get multiplayer too, and then there's a multiplayer game in the works at Guerilla (likely Killzone).

It's likely that we'll see some of these titles return, but still it's disappointing that it's been so long, and I feel that, Sony aren't especially transparent about this stuff. Everything they do with their multiplayer titles feels like a mystery. With Uncharted 4 (probably the last mp game from Sony I spent over 100 hours on), no one ever knew how long the game would be supported, or what was happening next, etc.

Personally I'd really like to see Sony invest in proper service model stuff for their most popular franchises.

The main goal is to make profits, but losing fans hurts profits in the long run. It's very beneficial to a platform to have a wide variety of games. That's why Nintendo is so successful - they've got such a huge variety of games (most of which are all-ages to boot) that a wide variety of people can find games that they'll enjoy there. Whereas Sony is becoming more and more focused on a specific demographic so their games are selling exceptionally well among that demographic, but it's alienating people who aren't in that demographic.

Yeah this, I'll band with the JRPG lovers to complain if I have to. :P

White Knight Chronicles was a cool game, and combined both JRPG and social gameplay elements. Sony aren't funding stuff like that anymore, which I think is a shame.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I also miss the diversity found on the previous Playstations, especially the PS2. Sony has found their new tempo, however, with the big focus on SP 3rd-person games, so I doubt things will change. They still make good/great games, but I miss many of the older IPs that no longer exist.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I should highlight that some of my issues in the OP don't require huge investments from Sony either. Like Sony, if you don't want to cater to multiplayer consumers directly, at least make an effort to make your platform the best place to play third party multiplayer offerings. If you don't want to compete with Call of Duty and Fortnite, then make your platform the best place to play Call of Duty and Fortnite. I don't think many people can deny the logic there.

What I mean by that, is fix the freaking UI so that playing with friends is more fluid, and give us a pro controller. Also, support 1440p so that players can play their competitive stuff on 120/1440p.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I feel the same, for different reasons.

As a main PlayStation player since the PS1 I'm really disappointed with them since last year.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Sony have tried to make multiplayer offerings they just can't seem to make something that has the sort of long lasting appeal they'd like.

Even the PS3 examples you listed weren't mega successes like Splatoon or Halo's multi were.

All-Stars Destruction was also another attempt but feels like it's fizzled out.

Hopefully they make a popular multiplayer game one day though.
Halo was a product of time and place, its still relevant but not nearly the multiplayer juggernaut it was early on.

Splatoon is a uniquely Nintendo product for their audience, which they know and service very well.

Why would Sony put major effort into online multiplayer products when major third parties are sinking nine figure budgets into those spaces at shocking rates that include a non-trivial number of them failing?

Where is the window to find space between CoD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Fortnite, Apex, etc. etc.?

It looks like Sony's strategy is to use PS+ to platform more differentiation in online multiplayer, by putting things like Rocket League, Fall Guys, and Destruction All-Stars on the service to juice early player bases. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. They platformed Knockout City with the most recent State of Play.

Also, rumor was that Santa Monica's game after Ascension was going to have a big multiplayer focus and it crashed and burned in-development before they rebuild the entire studio into the team that made GoW 2018. Supposedly >$100M down the drain there.

Its just a bad money bet for where they stand, getting 30% of ALL the big online games' MTX transactions on the platform. Better off letting the third parties battle it out while Sony counts their cut of the lot of them and platforms the winners and newcomers alike.

To clarify, I don't mean me specifically, I mean, as a type of consumer that tends to be interested in social and multiplayer experiences. Over the past few years, we've seen Sony shift away from this style of game, with their studios focus on singleplayer and open world games instead.
They tried twice with Warhawk/Starhawk and it never got off the ground.

Zipper had success with SOCOM then moved away to make MAG which blew up massively in their face as it was a concept too far ahead of the hardware it was on.

Naughty Dog is still planning to put out a multiplayer mode, but they obviously have time priorities to hit and games take more work than ever to make now.

Insomniac chose to try going away from Sony after Resistance 3, only to return now with Spider-Man and the ever present Ratchet.

But for multiplayer in general, see above. There is plenty of genre diversity and competition for your multiplayer time, so why would Sony sending a few products out to die be worth the investment on their part vs. servicing genres that do have some breathing room?

Personally I'd love to see it from them. Namely an R6 inspired Killzone reboot and bringing SOCOM back as their platform equivalent to Counter-Strike, a opening the platform does actually have. But its a highly saturated genre in general so that can be a tough sell.

The Lack of Pro Controller Hardware on PS5 and PS4

They did a whole partnership with SCUF in 2018, the company that MS licenses the backpaddle patent from. Steam just lost a lawsuit to them, so seems likely that Sony and MS' lawyers both agreed that SCUF's patent held up and they just chose different paths to offer the product in partnership. SCUF's PS branded products are a good bit cheaper than Elite controllers too.

The PS5 UI does not feel as though it was designed with the 'social player' in mind

I'd argue that they should just stop trying to be so goddamn cute. XMB is/was great. Why keep fucking with it? Build on it, refine it, but keep that core.

A UI shouldn't be focused on a specific type of player, it should be focused on being easy to read and navigate, letting all kinds of players get where they want quickly. XMB did that. Everything since then is a decline in user experience. Unfortunately the same is true for MS, so I suspect that a lot of this is driven by both of them seeing ad revenue via homepage platforming as a really viable revenue stream.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I expected a completely different sort of thread when I clicked in.

Anyway, Sony is still making multiplayer games as evidenced recently by Predator Hunting Grounds and Destruction All-Stars. I don't care for them like 95% of the Playstation current core base but they are here for you at least.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do so many people find the UI hard to navigate on era? Like is everyone here just completely unwelcoming of change or did nobody just sit down and go through the UI when they got a PS5?

Joining a party is easily accessible from the cards, the bottom bar in notifications or from the notification you get when the party invite is sent...this isn't an issue so I don't get the complaint at all.

Pro controllers are a niche of a niche, I have both Xbox elite controllers and apart from being heavier they don't feel any more premium and the first one was quite notorious for breaking (mainly from pressing L3).

Multiplayer games are in the vast majority are multiplatform because that's how they make money, they need the sales for a player base - no player base, no game. So covering all platforms (and now a days, cross play) means you give your game more chance of success.

PlayStation has always been about single player titles for me though. The vast, vast majority of PS exclusives that are memorable are primarily single player whether that be MGS or TLOU (which does have good MP as you point out in the OP). The Xbox on the otherhand has always been multiplayer focussed from day 1 though and the big IPs Microsoft have made have had huge multiplayer components (Halo, Gears, Forza).

This just isn't the case at all though, is it?

Destruction All-stars just came out as an exclusive multiplayer game and there's studios working on other multiplayer games and adding it to TLOU2.

They even had timed exclusive on Fall Guys.

What you seem to want is a couple of specific games that bombed so are bad business to even consider bringing back.

Oct 27, 2017
True, there aren't the social/multiplayer hooks like, say, what Stadia was originally hyping up. And over the years the Sony-driven large multplayer war-arena stuff never got super-popular. But they did give out got legends, rocket league, fall guys, destruction all stars.

Pretty much everyone agrees on the 1440p and the UI, regardless of type of player.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To clarify, I don't mean me specifically, I mean, as a type of consumer that tends to be interested in social and multiplayer experiences. Over the past few years, we've seen Sony shift away from this style of game, with their studios focus on singleplayer and open world games instead.

You might argue that Playstation has never been known for their multiplayer titles, but I would argue that this is isn't true. On the original Playstation, most of my time spent was playing games like Crash Team Racing and Twisted Metal , and the platform was flooded with exclusive multiplayer games, like Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha. Moving on, with the Playstation 2, I felt like Sony really started to focus on this audience with games like Socom and Killzone. Killzone was the first online multiplayer game that I ever played on a video game console, and I had a really good time with it.

It felt like the Playstation 3 was Sony's golden era of this style of game. With a tonne of experimental multiplayer titles released by Sony and their studios. At the time I had an XBOX 360 initially, and I shifted to Sony's hardware again to play games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted multiplayer. Honestly, the number of high quality online multiplayer experiences released by Sony on that hardware was astounding. I'm going to spotlight a few of these briefly below.

Warhawk

Warhawk always had a strong following on the PS3, I think its highlight was the high skill ceiling on its flight controls. Interestingly, Warhawk also featured split screen multiplayer, catering to both players who wanted to play online, or with friends locally.

71QdszM02%2BL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Starhawk
Starhawk was a sequel to Warhawk which shifted things up with some interesting building mechanics. I really enjoyed it personally, though again the learning curve was quite steep. I loved the fast past dogfights once again on this one. Shame the base building wasn't as appreciated.

starhawk-box-art.jpg

MAG

Mag was one of the most interesting multiplayer titles on the Playstation 3. Supporting 256 player engagements, MAG put me in gameplay scenarios that I wasn't able to see in any other game. The game certainly had its flaws, it didn't look all that fantastic visually, and the game became a little repetitive over time, but it was a unique and interesting multiplayer experience.

Motorstorm

This one's a little different because it's not a shooting game, but on the PS3 this was a title where I spent many of my online gameplay hours. Motorstorm offered stunning off road races that could be played online, and I found the diversity in racing lines afforded by the sprawling tracks and distinct vehicle classes made online competition really interesting.

Uncharted Multiplayer

Honestly this was one of the premier multiplayer experiences that really drew me in to playing on the PS3. Uncharted multiplayer was one of my favourite titles. I loved how the flexible climbing system created new gameplay opportunities for a third person shooter.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is one of the few franchises in this list that could be considered still supported, as Uncharted multiplayer still exists on the PS4 version of the game. With that said, the PS4 version of Uncharted 4 multiplayer feels quite content-bare compared to some of the multiplayer offerings in Uncharted 2 and 3, featuring far fewer maps and game modes.

Fat Princess

Often forgotten, I think Fat Princess was a really phenominal multiplayer title. It was a sort of stepping stone into multiplayer and social gaming, a game that everyone could easily pick up and play, but one that had enough depth (through team coordination and strategy) for you to invest 100s of hours into with a group of friends. I had a tonne of fun with this one, and Sony really squandered this franchise.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Last of Us Factions

Factions was a huge surprise for many people, offering a tight tactical third person experience in Naughty Dogs 'the last of us' world. The mechanics from its singleplayer experience gelled perfectly with the slower paced multiplayer setting, with elements like resource gathering and crafting making every decision meaningful.

Last-of-Us-Factions-a.jpg

Resistance

Resistance was an interesting multiplayer franchise because Insomniac did something very different with each installment. Personally I enjoyed the multiplayer in Resistance 2 the most, as it felt great to play and the 64 player battles were really action packed compared to the smaller scale stuff in Resistance 1 and 3.

Resistance 2 also featured 8 player co-operative style missions, which felt like a pre-cursor to things like strikes in Destiny.

Killzone 2

Perhaps my favourite multiplayer title on the PS3, Killzone 2 was everything I wanted from an online first person shooter. Unlike games like Call of Duty at the time, it placed emphasis on team coordination and tactical abilities. Almost like a sci-fi battlefield, or something of that ilk. For its time, the games graphics were incredible too.

You can still play Killzone multiplayer in some form, by playing Shadowfall on the PS4. Despite that, it's a pretty old game so you'll rarely find anyone playing anymore. The last time I logged in I declared myself the world champion, as I was the top scorer of the only lobby available.

Other titles

There were many other, cool and experimental titles that Sony released during this era too. Games like Twisted Metal, Playstation All Stars and Socom 4. I haven't listed these in detail because I think these games had quite a few flaws, nevertheless it was clear that Sony was trying to cater to the type of experiences that I was interested in, and I was always keen to try their new multiplayer titles.

On the PS4 and PS5, very few of these titles exist. You can still play Factions with TLOU remaster, and you can still play Uncharted multiplayer in Uncharted 4, but these experiences don't feel as though they ever received the support they deserve. Both of these games feature peer to peer networking and low tick rates, which makes them very rough in 2020, where most games have much better networking provisions. Beyond that, I guess we do have games like Destruction Allstars, but that game is pretty darn terrible, and the work was outsourced to an external studio (Lucid games).

But this sense that Sony aren't interested in this type of experience anymore, is more than just games. It's the hardware and system level software too.

The Lack of Pro Controller Hardware on PS5 and PS4

While Microsoft boasted their XBOX One Elite controller, Sony waited over a year before announcing that they would be supporting third parties that wanted to produce their own Pro controllers for the PS4. Most of these third party controls were crap, for one reason or another. Sony's backpaddle attachment was released in small shipments worldwide, and still neglects many of the benefits of more premium hardware.

Competitive players across the board, play with controllers that feature paddles on the back, and typically not just two paddles, but four. So why Sony chooses to ignore this audience is honestly beyond me. Again, this goes back to the feeling that Sony do not care about this type of consumer anymore. They are not making the effort to provide them with the best experience with their hardware. Sony have doubled down on this, by making all PS4 hardware obsolete on the PS5. Those expensive pro controllers that people bought for the PS4, do not work on a PS5 outside of PS4 backward compatibility, meanwhile, Sony is offering no alternative.

The PS5 UI does not feel as though it was designed with the 'social player' in mind

The revised party, friends and message system on the PS5 feels as though it was designed by someone that does not use these features. Finding your messages is a pain in the ass, finding your friends list is a pain in the ass, even simply joining a party is a pain in the ass. Hot swapping between the party menu and the game is no longer possible with a double tap of the PS button either, making it difficult to quickly switch between the game and party interface. On the whole, I would argue that everything about social play is worse on the PS5 as compared to the PS4.

Summary and points for discussion

On the whole, I just feel like Sony isn't offering, or planning to offer the types of experiences that I'm interested in, anymore. It doesn't feel like these multiplayer titles are simply missing at the moment, it feels as though Sony have no plans or interest in supporting this type of experience. I understand why Sony may have wound down some of their studios like Zipper Interactive, but it feels as though Sony aren't investing in multiplayer or even broadly, social gaming experiences anymore.

As well as my own personal discontentent with Sony's offerings, I think this is really a story of missed opportunities for Sony. Using Fat Princess as an example, the sequel felt so tone-deaf as to what the community actually wanted from that franchise. Instead of offering a competitive multiplayer experience that built on the mechanics of the first game, the PS4 Fat Princess title is a co-operative adventure game that feels like it's designed for children under 10 years old. The adult humour is stripped out, and it's a simplified (and overall bad) Diablo-esque experience. And that's not the first time this has happened. Socom 4 was released with the most basic of design errors. For instance in Socom 4, a third person shooter game designed for hardcore competitive play, you cannot switch the side that the camera sits over your characters shoulder. That alone meant that the game was fundamentally broken as you would always be severely disadvantaged whenever as opponent approached you from the left hand side of a piece of cover. Like, what? How does this pass a 5 year development process?

Most of my game time is spent on PS5 but I also have a capable PC and I have XBOX Gamepass, and it speaks volumes that some of the most fun I've had over the past year has been with titles like Sea of Thieves and Grounded via game pass. I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I'm happy with Sony's singleplayer offering, games like Horizon Zero Dawn are cool, and I can appreciate them as better games than games like Killzone Shadow Fall, but I miss having all of those novel multiplayer experiences with my friends.

What I'd really like to see is

1) a pro controller
2) a redesign of the PS5 UI with emphasis on social play
3) a new multiplayer IP from Sony's first party studios
4) on-going multiplayer support for Sony's flagship franchises (let's say, The Last of Us Factions and Killzone get a 'service model' instalment)

Also I know Sony will never undo this mistake so I won't ask for it but Sony should have enabled all PS4 hardware to be enabled in-game on PS5 games, at the developers leisure. Yes the DualSense features are cool, but we also know that almost all PS5 games so far can be played without them, and yet none of the old controllers work. Sure, Sony want people to buy new controllers, but those with expensive controllers will just be waiting for adaptors and whatnot anyway. It would be a cleaner solution to simply, natively support these devices. It's a more accessible approach too, as it enables bespoke setups required for accessibility use cases to be used on the PS5 hardware.

End of complaining.

Vote with your wallet.
Go there were the games are that you like. The less ecosystems to support, the better.

Oct 31, 2017
On the original Playstation, most of my time spent was playing games like Crash Team Racing and Twisted Metal , and the platform was flooded with exclusive multiplayer games, like Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha.

Most of your focus was on first party development, but I want to touch on this first: I don't think it matters what Playstation used to have for 3rd party exclusives. None of the consoles, nor PC, really have as many exclusives compared to the 90s because it's easier to port and with cost of development, it makes sense financially to be available on more systems. Tekken, Street Fighter, they're all still on Playstation, and Sony certainly didn't create the Tekken or Street Fighter IPs. So there's no shortage of third party multiplayer on the system.

I think there was a bigger focus on first party single-player during the PS4, and that remains, but many multiplayer games they tried either didn't get big (Killzone), or just failed entirely (Killstrain, Drawn to Death). Gran Turismo Sport ended up doing well long-run, though, and MLB The Show was a hot seller each year.

I've been seeing much more multiplayer recently, whether it's the "shared" multiplayer of Death Stranding (a very unique experience but obviously not the same as a fighting game or FPS), or Ghost of Tsushima Legends, or the recent Destruction AllStars, or Sackboy: A Big Adventure (perfect couch co-op, as well), or remaking Demon's Souls. Plus they released Predator just last year, Dreams has multiplayer, and they worked with devs to launch with Godfall. And I believe Guerrilla is also working on a multiplayer game, as well as Gran Turismo 7 from Polyphony.

Is that true, though? Because every other platform aside Sony's seems to be having a tonne of success with multiplayer. Look at Steam, look at Microsoft and Game pass.

I don't see what differentiates Steam? There's plenty of multiplayer on PSN as well, and PS Now, and multiplayer games sell extremely well on Playstation. Game Pass isn't multiplayer; it's everything. Yet despite that, PS4 and Sony were far more successful the entire generation over the Xbox One and MS, so it's clearly been a successful strategy.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
NGL from the title I thought this would be about niche Japanese games
Sony will still get the vast majority of those without even trying.

From a business perspective I don't see the point in first party trying to compete with third parties. Thy have the benefit of being on multiple platforms and with cross play friends don't have to own the same console. Also it seems extremely fickle and almost blind luck for which multiplayer games explode and stick around and which die a quick death.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel similarly, but for different reasons. The lack of arcade racing and the overabundance of open world have been a disappointment during the past few years. And the only active horror franchise they have was ruined with the 2nd entry. So much so, that I most likely won't be buying a possible DLC or the 3rd one.

The past three years' only highlights have been Demon's Souls and Astro's Playroom.
What active horror franchise was ruined with the 2nd entry? If you're talking about The Last of Us Part II, well...That's certainly a take.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The market is flooded with social/multiplayer titles.

It is not flooded with AAA single-player.

So Sony provides more of one than the other. I don't understand why anyone feels left behind in social gaming just because a specific publisher isn't providing what you like - when many, many others are.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the controller(which i would never buy anyway but it doesn't affect me) i hope you never get what you wish for.Seriously i am not trying to offend you but everything you list is the exact opposite of what i want from Sony.

I hope they continue to be as they are and even better.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They did a whole partnership with SCUF in 2018, the company that MS licenses the backpaddle patent from. Steam just lost a lawsuit to them, so seems likely that Sony and MS' lawyers both agreed that SCUF's patent held up and they just chose different paths to offer the product in partnership. SCUF's PS branded products are a good bit cheaper than Elite controllers too.

I get what you're saying here, but Sony created this issue on the PS5 specifically. I was happy with the third party provisions on PS4, and Sony's own back button attachment, but these can't be used with PS5 games on PS5.

Their competitor allows older controllers to function on their new hardware. Sony deliberately disable older controllers, even if a game has no explicit DualSense support.

People should be able to use any controller they like, on any hardware they like. Fuck, I can use a brook adaptor to use a DualSense on an XBOX Series X, if I wanted to, but because of how the PS5 is designed, you cannot (at present) do the reverse.

This isn't just an issue for consumers, forcing them to buy new hardware, it's also a problem for accessibility. Sony, like Microsoft, should be supporting as many controllers as possible, to make their platform as accessible as possible.

Also, there are many ways to design controllers around scuff patents. They could either license the patent, or design their controllers in a different way (with a back button attachment). Sony have made no comment on either for the PS5, which is a shame. If this is in the works, why not provide a bit more transparency? People want to know that the platform their investing in is worthwhile for competitive play in the long-term.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same but for slightly different reasons. I've felt quite strongly this way since the beginning of the PS4 generation, when I felt slightly short changed by the extent to which Sony leaned on their history and nostalgia, then delivered the most isolated PlayStation they've ever released in terms of playing their back catalogue.

Specifically Sony has an established track record of not just abandoning IP I like, but also shutting down their studio's. There's a bunch of understandable factors behind that that I completely understand, but it still sucks.

Your list of games in the OP also heavily leans into the PS3 generation. I don't think it's a coincidence that there's a link between you feeling abandoned by Sony, and that a lot of your favourite Sony experiences were on PS3.

I own a PS5, primarily for Gran Turismo 7, the God of War sequel and because it currently has the most complete library of Soulsborne games. Those are my only reasons to own a PlayStation at this point, and I wish there were more.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not nostalgic for a lot of ps3's multiplayer experiments but I am still in shock MAG saw release. And regret never trying it because I didn't see it as "interesting" then, it was just kind of another ps3 era shot in the dark from Sony.

Also these kind of emotional thread titles are so off putting. Like I need a shower even if you aren't being serious lol

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
The free Legends multiplayer mode recently released for Ghost of Tsushima is phenomenal, so it hurts your argument quite a bit.

The revised party, friends and message system on the PS5 feels as though it was designed by someone that does not use these features. Finding your messages is a pain in the ass, finding your friends list is a pain in the ass, even simply joining a party is a pain in the ass. Hot swapping between the party menu and the game is no longer possible with a double tap of the PS button either, making it difficult to quickly switch between the game and party interface. On the whole, I would argue that everything about social play is worse on the PS5 as compared to the PS4.
You're spot on with this criticism of the PS5 UI. It's a backwards step from PS4 in nearly every single way.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Besides the controller(which i would never buy anyway but it doesn't affect me) i hope you never get what you wish for.Seriously i am not trying to offend you but everything you list is the exact opposite of what i want from Sony.

I hope they continue to be as they are and even better.

You don't want a better UI either? :P

For clarity, I'm not asking for anything that you have now go missing. It's worth noting that Sony actively shuttered many European studios that could have been making multiplayer titles. For instance, Guerilla Cambridge made a great Killzone game for the Vita, and then they were closed. Evolution Studios did great work on the Motorstorm and Driveclub games, and I think Driveclub was them finally hitting their stride, and yet, that's when Sony chose to close them.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I agree with you OP. I have also felt left out by Sony first party games strategy. I feel the entire roster of Sony's first party games have been in a way Naughtyfied. The success of the Last of Us was both a blessing and a curse for them I feel. Did I love the Last of Us? Yes I adored it. Did I want every Sony first party studio to be influenced by them? No I definitely did not. Gone are the Japanese games, the first person shooters, the hack and slash games, they have all been replaced by cinematic action adventure third person games with a focus on very high production values. More and more it feels Sony's non Naughty Dog studios, have lost heir unique identity and try to copy Naughty Dog, which for me is a mistake since diversity suffers. I love Naughty Dog, but I never wanted every Sony game to try to be like it. Where are the killzones, the resistances, the infamous, the god of war hack and slashes? Gone, they have been replaced by the same mold of games. I know many people will disagree and love this new Sony approach, but I am just sad of all this lost diversity.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you OP. I have also felt left out by Sony first party games strategy. I feel the entire roster of Sony's first party games have been in a way Naughtyfied. The success of the Last of Us was both a blessing and a curse for them I feel. Did I love the Last of Us? Yes I adored it. Did I want every Sony first party studio to be influenced by them? No I definitely did not. Gone are the Japanese games, the first person shooters, the hack and slash games, they have all been replaced by cinematic action adventure third person games with a focus on very high production values. More and more it feels Sony's non Naughty Dog studios, have lost heir unique identity and try to copy Naughty Dog, which for me is a mistake since diversity suffers. I love Naughty Dog, but I never wanted every Sony game to try to be like it. Where are the killzones, the resistances, the infamous, the god of war hack and slashes? Gone, they have been replaced by the same mold of games. I know many people will disagree and love this new Sony approach, but I am just sad of all this lost diversity.
As much as I want the diversity and originality back, that didn't make money. Their current approach has em swimming in it. Unfortunately, this is a business, so they gotta do what they gotta do.