• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
To clarify, I don't mean me specifically, I mean, as a type of consumer that tends to be interested in social and multiplayer experiences. Over the past few years, we've seen Sony shift away from this style of game, with their studios focus on singleplayer and open world games instead.

You might argue that Playstation has never been known for their multiplayer titles, but I would argue that this is isn't true. On the original Playstation, most of my time spent was playing games like Crash Team Racing and Twisted Metal , and the platform was flooded with exclusive multiplayer games, like Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha. Moving on, with the Playstation 2, I felt like Sony really started to focus on this audience with games like Socom and Killzone. Killzone was the first online multiplayer game that I ever played on a video game console, and I had a really good time with it.

It felt like the Playstation 3 was Sony's golden era of this style of game. With a tonne of experimental multiplayer titles released by Sony and their studios. At the time I had an XBOX 360 initially, and I shifted to Sony's hardware again to play games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted multiplayer. Honestly, the number of high quality online multiplayer experiences released by Sony on that hardware was astounding. I'm going to spotlight a few of these briefly below.

Warhawk

Warhawk always had a strong following on the PS3, I think its highlight was the high skill ceiling on its flight controls. Interestingly, Warhawk also featured split screen multiplayer, catering to both players who wanted to play online, or with friends locally.

71QdszM02%2BL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Starhawk
Starhawk was a sequel to Warhawk which shifted things up with some interesting building mechanics. I really enjoyed it personally, though again the learning curve was quite steep. I loved the fast past dogfights once again on this one. Shame the base building wasn't as appreciated.

starhawk-box-art.jpg

MAG

Mag was one of the most interesting multiplayer titles on the Playstation 3. Supporting 256 player engagements, MAG put me in gameplay scenarios that I wasn't able to see in any other game. The game certainly had its flaws, it didn't look all that fantastic visually, and the game became a little repetitive over time, but it was a unique and interesting multiplayer experience.

Motorstorm

This one's a little different because it's not a shooting game, but on the PS3 this was a title where I spent many of my online gameplay hours. Motorstorm offered stunning off road races that could be played online, and I found the diversity in racing lines afforded by the sprawling tracks and distinct vehicle classes made online competition really interesting.

Uncharted Multiplayer

Honestly this was one of the premier multiplayer experiences that really drew me in to playing on the PS3. Uncharted multiplayer was one of my favourite titles. I loved how the flexible climbing system created new gameplay opportunities for a third person shooter.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is one of the few franchises in this list that could be considered still supported, as Uncharted multiplayer still exists on the PS4 version of the game. With that said, the PS4 version of Uncharted 4 multiplayer feels quite content-bare compared to some of the multiplayer offerings in Uncharted 2 and 3, featuring far fewer maps and game modes.

Fat Princess

Often forgotten, I think Fat Princess was a really phenominal multiplayer title. It was a sort of stepping stone into multiplayer and social gaming, a game that everyone could easily pick up and play, but one that had enough depth (through team coordination and strategy) for you to invest 100s of hours into with a group of friends. I had a tonne of fun with this one, and Sony really squandered this franchise.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Last of Us Factions

Factions was a huge surprise for many people, offering a tight tactical third person experience in Naughty Dogs 'the last of us' world. The mechanics from its singleplayer experience gelled perfectly with the slower paced multiplayer setting, with elements like resource gathering and crafting making every decision meaningful.

Last-of-Us-Factions-a.jpg

Resistance

Resistance was an interesting multiplayer franchise because Insomniac did something very different with each installment. Personally I enjoyed the multiplayer in Resistance 2 the most, as it felt great to play and the 64 player battles were really action packed compared to the smaller scale stuff in Resistance 1 and 3.

Resistance 2 also featured 8 player co-operative style missions, which felt like a pre-cursor to things like strikes in Destiny.

Killzone 2

Perhaps my favourite multiplayer title on the PS3, Killzone 2 was everything I wanted from an online first person shooter. Unlike games like Call of Duty at the time, it placed emphasis on team coordination and tactical abilities. Almost like a sci-fi battlefield, or something of that ilk. For its time, the games graphics were incredible too.

You can still play Killzone multiplayer in some form, by playing Shadowfall on the PS4. Despite that, it's a pretty old game so you'll rarely find anyone playing anymore. The last time I logged in I declared myself the world champion, as I was the top scorer of the only lobby available.

Other titles

There were many other, cool and experimental titles that Sony released during this era too. Games like Twisted Metal, Playstation All Stars and Socom 4. I haven't listed these in detail because I think these games had quite a few flaws, nevertheless it was clear that Sony was trying to cater to the type of experiences that I was interested in, and I was always keen to try their new multiplayer titles.

On the PS4 and PS5, very few of these titles exist. You can still play Factions with TLOU remaster, and you can still play Uncharted multiplayer in Uncharted 4, but these experiences don't feel as though they ever received the support they deserve. Both of these games feature peer to peer networking and low tick rates, which makes them very rough in 2020, where most games have much better networking provisions. Beyond that, I guess we do have games like Destruction Allstars, but that game is pretty darn terrible, and the work was outsourced to an external studio (Lucid games).

But this sense that Sony aren't interested in this type of experience anymore, is more than just games. It's the hardware and system level software too.

The Lack of Pro Controller Hardware on PS5 and PS4

While Microsoft boasted their XBOX One Elite controller, Sony waited over a year before announcing that they would be supporting third parties that wanted to produce their own Pro controllers for the PS4. Most of these third party controls were crap, for one reason or another. Sony's backpaddle attachment was released in small shipments worldwide, and still neglects many of the benefits of more premium hardware.

Competitive players across the board, play with controllers that feature paddles on the back, and typically not just two paddles, but four. So why Sony chooses to ignore this audience is honestly beyond me. Again, this goes back to the feeling that Sony do not care about this type of consumer anymore. They are not making the effort to provide them with the best experience with their hardware. Sony have doubled down on this, by making all PS4 hardware obsolete on the PS5. Those expensive pro controllers that people bought for the PS4, do not work on a PS5 outside of PS4 backward compatibility, meanwhile, Sony is offering no alternative.

The PS5 UI does not feel as though it was designed with the 'social player' in mind

The revised party, friends and message system on the PS5 feels as though it was designed by someone that does not use these features. Finding your messages is a pain in the ass, finding your friends list is a pain in the ass, even simply joining a party is a pain in the ass. Hot swapping between the party menu and the game is no longer possible with a double tap of the PS button either, making it difficult to quickly switch between the game and party interface. On the whole, I would argue that everything about social play is worse on the PS5 as compared to the PS4.

Summary and points for discussion

On the whole, I just feel like Sony isn't offering, or planning to offer the types of experiences that I'm interested in, anymore. It doesn't feel like these multiplayer titles are simply missing at the moment, it feels as though Sony have no plans or interest in supporting this type of experience. I understand why Sony may have wound down some of their studios like Zipper Interactive, but it feels as though Sony aren't investing in multiplayer or even broadly, social gaming experiences anymore.

As well as my own personal discontentent with Sony's offerings, I think this is really a story of missed opportunities for Sony. Using Fat Princess as an example, the sequel felt so tone-deaf as to what the community actually wanted from that franchise. Instead of offering a competitive multiplayer experience that built on the mechanics of the first game, the PS4 Fat Princess title is a co-operative adventure game that feels like it's designed for children under 10 years old. The adult humour is stripped out, and it's a simplified (and overall bad) Diablo-esque experience. And that's not the first time this has happened. Socom 4 was released with the most basic of design errors. For instance in Socom 4, a third person shooter game designed for hardcore competitive play, you cannot switch the side that the camera sits over your characters shoulder. That alone meant that the game was fundamentally broken as you would always be severely disadvantaged whenever as opponent approached you from the left hand side of a piece of cover. Like, what? How does this pass a 5 year development process?

Most of my game time is spent on PS5 but I also have a capable PC and I have XBOX Gamepass, and it speaks volumes that some of the most fun I've had over the past year has been with titles like Sea of Thieves and Grounded via game pass. I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I'm happy with Sony's singleplayer offering, games like Horizon Zero Dawn are cool, and I can appreciate them as better games than games like Killzone Shadow Fall, but I miss having all of those novel multiplayer experiences with my friends.

What I'd really like to see is

1) a pro controller
2) a redesign of the PS5 UI with emphasis on social play
3) a new multiplayer IP from Sony's first party studios
4) on-going multiplayer support for Sony's flagship franchises (let's say, The Last of Us Factions and Killzone get a 'service model' instalment)

Also I know Sony will never undo this mistake so I won't ask for it but Sony should have enabled all PS4 hardware to be enabled in-game on PS5 games, at the developers leisure. Yes the DualSense features are cool, but we also know that almost all PS5 games so far can be played without them, and yet none of the old controllers work. Sure, Sony want people to buy new controllers, but those with expensive controllers will just be waiting for adaptors and whatnot anyway. It would be a cleaner solution to simply, natively support these devices. It's a more accessible approach too, as it enables bespoke setups required for accessibility use cases to be used on the PS5 hardware.

End of complaining.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if you like games like Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, Puppeteer or Gravity Rush. Only Ratchet and maybe LBP survives.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you're going to get Factions and a new MP game from Guerrilla at least, made by people who workend on R6 Siege.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't most of those MP-focused Sony games do rather poorly compared to their SP-driven games though? Eventually a company will have to stop throwing good money after bad (see the situation with Japan Studio), so if their MP games did poorly it's no wonder they doubled down on what made them money.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Probably should invest in a PC or Xbox. They look like they would satisfy your gaming wants.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
game consoles aren't a gym membership, you can shift around as you please

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
None of their online titles ever stuck. They pivoted accordingly. Third party dominates the space you are interested in. You can still play that other stuff or go to other platforms.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Its valid to feel left behind OP, tho a majority of consumers have made clear that they are not particularly interested in the kind of experiences you are looking for. I do miss the abundance of (partially) very different multiplayer experiences too, though.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Spoiler: all these corporations only care about you because of the contents of your wallet. Don't tell anyone.

Or spend more on the games you like, if you want more of what you like.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean, Ghost of Tsushima got a really amazing MP expansion. Factions is definitely coming. Guerilla is working on a MP title too. I think the UI bit is super valid but will probably be reworked over time

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I loved all of those games, OP. You, me, maybe a few other people. I think that was the problem.

Jun 17, 2018
I understand where you're coming from but it has been known for many years that Sony's main focus are single player games.

If you want multiplayer titles, Xbox and PC have you covered there. Although I do miss Killzone and Starhawk, such good games!

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you, OP. I'm not a big multiplayer guy but I put so many hours into of all the games you listed, with Warhawk and Starhawk being my two biggest addictions.

People here are right that it's best to just shift to other platforms to get the MP fix like I have, but it's still a damn shame how all these MP games/modes are dead.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
the thing about being a consumer and consumerism in general is you have a choice. if you don't like the direction that a company is heading in, you can just opt to not support them with your wallet.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep.

Better to become open minded about games rather than sticking to a few genres or series.

I play everything. I have over 1000 games on my PS4 + PS5, I'm not closed minded to the other types of games. My favourite games are often singleplayer, but they only last so long. For instance my favourite game of last generation is probably What Remains of Edith Finch, it's a 6 hour game. Whereas on Apex Legends, I have over 2000 hours played across 2 years.

I play everything, but day to day I'm a social player. I play with friends. I jump into a party and we play something together. We like to check out new stuff. But lately, we've been using our PCs more and more to do that because there's not much to do on PS4/PS5.

Imagine if you like games like Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, Puppeteer or Gravity Rush. Only Ratchet and maybe LBP survives.

I think those genres are surprisingly well catered for, though. Astrobot is a cool new platforming franchise, Ratchet and Clank has a new title coming up, and I loved Sackboy's Big Adventure personally. It's a shame about the mainline LBP games, but that actually falls into the same category here. On PS3 I used to play LBP1 and 2 daily with friends. We'd check out new levels, it was a hugely social experience. Dreams isn't like that, you can't jump in with another friend and mess about as easily.

It's definitely a shame that there's nothing quite like Sly Cooper, but I think Ghost of Tsushima is a natural evolution of that franchise. It's still open world stealth/combat, just with a different lens. I don't have an issue if Sony's multiplayer titles were simply evolving, but they're not, they've just disappeared.

Its valid to feel left behind OP, tho a majority of consumers have made clear that they are not particularly interested in the kind of experiences you are looking for. I do miss the abundance of (partially) very different multiplayer experiences too, though.

Is that true, though? Because every other platform aside Sony's seems to be having a tonne of success with multiplayer. Look at Steam, look at Microsoft and Game pass.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony have tried to make multiplayer offerings they just can't seem to make something that has the sort of long lasting appeal they'd like.

Even the PS3 examples you listed weren't mega successes like Splatoon or Halo's multi were.

All-Stars Destruction was also another attempt but feels like it's fizzled out.

Hopefully they make a popular multiplayer game one day though.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How do you compete with fortnite, apex, rainbow six siege, overwatch and every other GAAS title that has huge dev teams constantly pushing out new content all the time.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer is still going, TLOU factions is coming back in a big way, Guerilla hired the rainbow six siege lead last time I heard.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Fat princess on the ps3, always wised for it to come to the ps4.

Didn't like the Ps4sequel at all

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Those games all failed commercially and while I wouldn't mind another stab at one of them, Sony knows its customer base. Third party easily fills that void, but there is a huge graveyard of multplayer focused games that had big plans. That type pf game is risky and in the end you'll have to give it away on Plus to ensure a chance at a good start at least. And even then, most of those games fail...

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
No one bought a lot of those games OP, that's why Sony canned those and Japan Studio.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yep.

Better to become open minded about games rather than sticking to a few genres or series.
But it doesn't work like this. I've spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours trying to be "open-minded" for almost a decade, and the only conclusion I've come to is that I just like what I like. I will never like JRPGs in general. I will never be that person who enjoys every game genre and type out there. I like a few specific types of games and I want to play those specific games for hundreds of hours. There are all different types of people out there. I'm open-minded in that I think having a lot of different types of games out there is good for everyone, but they're not all for me and they may not be for OP either.
To answer the actual question, I would honestly save up for a PC. The free online is very nice and there are tons of multiplayer focused games on the platform

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard to find traction in the MP space. Designing a good game isn't sufficient.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NGL from the title I thought this would be about niche Japanese games

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are dozen alternatives for each games you've mentioned, and the same for third-party controllers. They aren't supposed to feed every genre where standards and titles are already high and established just to fuel nostalgia. But your post illustrates well how gamers can see the industry from their own demographic.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I am with you in hoping the next Uncharted gets a more substantial multiplayer, UC4 is great but ND does not seem to have a fully dedicated team for it. Still play it occasionally.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
To clarify, I don't mean me specifically, I mean, as a type of consumer that tends to be interested in social and multiplayer experiences. Over the past few years, we've seen Sony shift away from this style of game, with their studios focus on singleplayer and open world games instead.

You might argue that Playstation has never been known for their multiplayer titles, but I would argue that this is isn't true. On the original Playstation, most of my time spent was playing games like Crash Team Racing and Twisted Metal , and the platform was flooded with exclusive multiplayer games, like Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha. Moving on, with the Playstation 2, I felt like Sony really started to focus on this audience with games like Socom and Killzone. Killzone was the first online multiplayer game that I ever played on a video game console, and I had a really good time with it.

It felt like the Playstation 3 was Sony's golden era of this style of game. With a tonne of experimental multiplayer titles released by Sony and their studios. At the time I had an XBOX 360 initially, and I shifted to Sony's hardware again to play games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted multiplayer. Honestly, the number of high quality online multiplayer experiences released by Sony on that hardware was astounding. I'm going to spotlight a few of these briefly below.

Warhawk

Warhawk always had a strong following on the PS3, I think its highlight was the high skill ceiling on its flight controls. Interestingly, Warhawk also featured split screen multiplayer, catering to both players who wanted to play online, or with friends locally.

71QdszM02%2BL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Starhawk
Starhawk was a sequel to Warhawk which shifted things up with some interesting building mechanics. I really enjoyed it personally, though again the learning curve was quite steep. I loved the fast past dogfights once again on this one. Shame the base building wasn't as appreciated.

starhawk-box-art.jpg

MAG

Mag was one of the most interesting multiplayer titles on the Playstation 3. Supporting 256 player engagements, MAG put me in gameplay scenarios that I wasn't able to see in any other game. The game certainly had its flaws, it didn't look all that fantastic visually, and the game became a little repetitive over time, but it was a unique and interesting multiplayer experience.

Motorstorm

This one's a little different because it's not a shooting game, but on the PS3 this was a title where I spent many of my online gameplay hours. Motorstorm offered stunning off road races that could be played online, and I found the diversity in racing lines afforded by the sprawling tracks and distinct vehicle classes made online competition really interesting.

Uncharted Multiplayer

Honestly this was one of the premier multiplayer experiences that really drew me in to playing on the PS3. Uncharted multiplayer was one of my favourite titles. I loved how the flexible climbing system created new gameplay opportunities for a third person shooter.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is one of the few franchises in this list that could be considered still supported, as Uncharted multiplayer still exists on the PS4 version of the game. With that said, the PS4 version of Uncharted 4 multiplayer feels quite content-bare compared to some of the multiplayer offerings in Uncharted 2 and 3, featuring far fewer maps and game modes.

Fat Princess

Often forgotten, I think Fat Princess was a really phenominal multiplayer title. It was a sort of stepping stone into multiplayer and social gaming, a game that everyone could easily pick up and play, but one that had enough depth (through team coordination and strategy) for you to invest 100s of hours into with a group of friends. I had a tonne of fun with this one, and Sony really squandered this franchise.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Last of Us Factions

Factions was a huge surprise for many people, offering a tight tactical third person experience in Naughty Dogs 'the last of us' world. The mechanics from its singleplayer experience gelled perfectly with the slower paced multiplayer setting, with elements like resource gathering and crafting making every decision meaningful.

Last-of-Us-Factions-a.jpg

Resistance

Resistance was an interesting multiplayer franchise because Insomniac did something very different with each installment. Personally I enjoyed the multiplayer in Resistance 2 the most, as it felt great to play and the 64 player battles were really action packed compared to the smaller scale stuff in Resistance 1 and 3.

Resistance 2 also featured 8 player co-operative style missions, which felt like a pre-cursor to things like strikes in Destiny.

Killzone 2

Perhaps my favourite multiplayer title on the PS3, Killzone 2 was everything I wanted from an online first person shooter. Unlike games like Call of Duty at the time, it placed emphasis on team coordination and tactical abilities. Almost like a sci-fi battlefield, or something of that ilk. For its time, the games graphics were incredible too.

You can still play Killzone multiplayer in some form, by playing Shadowfall on the PS4. Despite that, it's a pretty old game so you'll rarely find anyone playing anymore. The last time I logged in I declared myself the world champion, as I was the top scorer of the only lobby available.

Other titles

There were many other, cool and experimental titles that Sony released during this era too. Games like Twisted Metal, Playstation All Stars and Socom 4. I haven't listed these in detail because I think these games had quite a few flaws, nevertheless it was clear that Sony was trying to cater to the type of experiences that I was interested in, and I was always keen to try their new multiplayer titles.

On the PS4 and PS5, very few of these titles exist. You can still play Factions with TLOU remaster, and you can still play Uncharted multiplayer in Uncharted 4, but these experiences don't feel as though they ever received the support they deserve. Both of these games feature peer to peer networking and low tick rates, which makes them very rough in 2020, where most games have much better networking provisions. Beyond that, I guess we do have games like Destruction Allstars, but that game is pretty darn terrible, and the work was outsourced to an external studio (Lucid games).

But this sense that Sony aren't interested in this type of experience anymore, is more than just games. It's the hardware and system level software too.

The Lack of Pro Controller Hardware on PS5 and PS4

While Microsoft boasted their XBOX One Elite controller, Sony waited over a year before announcing that they would be supporting third parties that wanted to produce their own Pro controllers for the PS4. Most of these third party controls were crap, for one reason or another. Sony's backpaddle attachment was released in small shipments worldwide, and still neglects many of the benefits of more premium hardware.

Competitive players across the board, play with controllers that feature paddles on the back, and typically not just two paddles, but four. So why Sony chooses to ignore this audience is honestly beyond me. Again, this goes back to the feeling that Sony do not care about this type of consumer anymore. They are not making the effort to provide them with the best experience with their hardware. Sony have doubled down on this, by making all PS4 hardware obsolete on the PS5. Those expensive pro controllers that people bought for the PS4, do not work on a PS5 outside of PS4 backward compatibility, meanwhile, Sony is offering no alternative.

The PS5 UI does not feel as though it was designed with the 'social player' in mind

The revised party, friends and message system on the PS5 feels as though it was designed by someone that does not use these features. Finding your messages is a pain in the ass, finding your friends list is a pain in the ass, even simply joining a party is a pain in the ass. Hot swapping between the party menu and the game is no longer possible with a double tap of the PS button either, making it difficult to quickly switch between the game and party interface. On the whole, I would argue that everything about social play is worse on the PS5 as compared to the PS4.

Summary and points for discussion

On the whole, I just feel like Sony isn't offering, or planning to offer the types of experiences that I'm interested in, anymore. It doesn't feel like these multiplayer titles are simply missing at the moment, it feels as though Sony have no plans or interest in supporting this type of experience. I understand why Sony may have wound down some of their studios like Zipper Interactive, but it feels as though Sony aren't investing in multiplayer or even broadly, social gaming experiences anymore.

As well as my own personal discontentent with Sony's offerings, I think this is really a story of missed opportunities for Sony. Using Fat Princess as an example, the sequel felt so tone-deaf as to what the community actually wanted from that franchise. Instead of offering a competitive multiplayer experience that built on the mechanics of the first game, the PS4 Fat Princess title is a co-operative adventure game that feels like it's designed for children under 10 years old. The adult humour is stripped out, and it's a simplified (and overall bad) Diablo-esque experience. And that's not the first time this has happened. Socom 4 was released with the most basic of design errors. For instance in Socom 4, a third person shooter game designed for hardcore competitive play, you cannot switch the side that the camera sits over your characters shoulder. That alone meant that the game was fundamentally broken as you would always be severely disadvantaged whenever as opponent approached you from the left hand side of a piece of cover. Like, what? How does this pass a 5 year development process?

Most of my game time is spent on PS5 but I also have a capable PC and I have XBOX Gamepass, and it speaks volumes that some of the most fun I've had over the past year has been with titles like Sea of Thieves and Grounded via game pass. I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way? I'm happy with Sony's singleplayer offering, games like Horizon Zero Dawn are cool, and I can appreciate them as better games than games like Killzone Shadow Fall, but I miss having all of those novel multiplayer experiences with my friends.

What I'd really like to see is

1) a pro controller
2) a redesign of the PS5 UI with emphasis on social play
3) a new multiplayer IP from Sony's first party studios
4) on-going multiplayer support for Sony's flagship franchises (let's say, The Last of Us Factions and Killzone get a 'service model' instalment)

Also I know Sony will never undo this mistake so I won't ask for it but Sony should have enabled all PS4 hardware to be enabled in-game on PS5 games, at the developers leisure. Yes the DualSense features are cool, but we also know that almost all PS5 games so far can be played without them, and yet none of the old controllers work. Sure, Sony want people to buy new controllers, but those with expensive controllers will just be waiting for adaptors and whatnot anyway. It would be a cleaner solution to simply, natively support these devices. It's a more accessible approach too, as it enables bespoke setups required for accessibility use cases to be used on the PS5 hardware.

End of complaining.

The problem is just like jaoan studios people do not buy those games. Only and handfull of those where successes. With the hight cost of games and maitaining online servers they are taking less chances.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
ND is working on a separate factions title.
There have been rumors of a new MP game from GG.
Ghost of Tsushima has some kind of multiplayer mode now.

There's a lot of anxiety about Sony's direction, for good reason. But at the same time, it's early days for PS5. We don't have a clue what half of Sony is doing, and it feels way too early to start worrying.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I feel similarly, but for different reasons. The lack of arcade racing and the overabundance of open world have been a disappointment during the past few years. And the only active horror franchise they have was ruined with the 2nd entry. So much so, that I most likely won't be buying a possible DLC or the 3rd one.

The past three years' only highlights have been Demon's Souls and Astro's Playroom.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% in agreement. You can't imagine my disappointment when I heard TLOU2 wouldn't have any multiplayer. I went from totally hyped to not giving a single shit about that game.

It's a shame Sony has largely ignored the multiplayer side of things.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
My favorite Sony franchises were SOCOM/Syphon Filter/Twisted Metal to name a few. How do you think I feel?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Time for you to switch consoles friend. Get a PC or a Xbox until Sony releases the type of titles you want. They won't ride the single player train forever. They will go back to more variety soon enough. These things go in cycles.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a recognition of the reality that the major multiplayer titles are multiplatform, and have to be in order to be a major multiplayer title. Crossplay has only cemented this further. There's little value to the platform-holder in trying to compete with Fortnite, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Apex Legends etc. when they are available and goliath on the platform and making money for the platform-holder.

I say that as someone who thinks that Warhawk remains the finest multiplayer game ever made. Any studios PlayStation owns or contracts to make a game are best off making something that differentiates from what the market is providing. Otherwise they invest in things like Destruction All-Stars that don't appear to make an impact.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is how I feel but for Japanese games. I want a fancy, new consoles with better graphics & super-fast load times, but Sony doesn't make JRPGs like they did in the PS1 & PS2 era or the kind of quirky games that they made during the PS1-3 era like Parappa & Tokyo Jungle. My favorite developer at Sony, Keiichiro Toyama (Silent Hill, Siren, Gravity Rush), left and started his own company. And more and more 3rd party games are going multiplatform. So part of me wants to buy a PS5, but I'm probably better off just sticking with my laptop & Switch.