• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay, so Batman & Robin isn't a good Batman film, or a good film in general. It's still one of my least favorite superhero movies. It's hokey, campy, immature, poorly-acted, poorly-directed... but when I look back at every single live-action movie incarnation of Batman, it still boggles my mind that, at its core, it's the most faithful adaptation of comic Batman's core values and morality.

Unlike every single other live-action Batman portrayal, George Clooney's Batman is the only one that actually doesn't kill. Like, that's incredibly important to who Batman is as a character and what separates him from countless other dark vigilante heroes like The Punisher. No matter how bad it gets, no matter how much he may want to take a life, he isn't a killer.
main-qimg-9319f3f7885ae6c8f83abf87c7dceaaf

When it comes to movies, it feels like the Batman we get is more often like All-Star Batman and Robin's rampaging nutcase with a violence-boner.
KMEBs-5KXG28PAzvgpI3OOBQHPqHTz76P5BRnuZiynLLv0tLtjk_XCZ9qJ6XXLRXnA-_9mMyadBi9JgVdPbW5tnp0ZmTkvPBmjhrXSOvIk60CxbZWDI

While Tim Burton's Batman will always hold a special place in my heart, he's kind of a murderous psychopath. When one of his lines is literally "I'm going to kill you" followed by said Batman killing you, that's a pretty kill-happy Batman. By the sequel, he's blowing people up with a deranged smile on his face.
FlamboyantTotalHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif

Again, I like the movies, and I like Tim Burton's utterly weird, time-displaced take on Gothic Gotham, but it's a pretty inauthentic take on Batman.

Joel Schumacher was brought in to lighten things up a bit, but even Batman Forever has Batman directly causing the death of one of the villains (and a former friend).

("vengeance won't make the pain go away, Dick. But here, let me do it for you anyway")

The Dark Knight Trilogy successfully revamped Batman away from the camp, and even made it a huge part of Batman's character that he "doesn't kill". The only problem? He's a big damn hypocrite who kills a lot of people in that trilogy. One big pivotal scene that was THE moment I gave up hope of this finally being a story that understood Batman was Bruce refusing to save Ra's Al Ghul.
Nz9CwKU.gif

While it may seem like some kind of loophole, the whole point of Batman is that he'll always try and save people - even his enemies - because at heart he's a character who values life. They kind of did an entire 90s Knightfall storyline about a guy (avatar quote) who becomes Batman and utterly fails at the job because... he refused to save a criminal from certain death. Like, the very thing that proved Jean-Paul Valley was the wrong guy for the job is the very excuse used in the Nolan movies for why it's okay for Batman to let Ra's die (among other casualties).
batkill.jpg

And then, of course, we have Snyder's Batman...
BatwingKiller.gif

(no, you see, it was the bullets and explosions that killed them; not Batman)

That means the only live-action movie Batman who values life, doesn't kill, and goes out of his way to save even his enemies is... George Clooney's Batman.
vengeance-isnt-power.jpg

It's also the only live-action Batman movie to truly even attempt to do the Bat-family justice, as someone here mentioned before.

I hate this.

While there are elements of what makes Batman interesting in all the other Batman movies (and better execution that makes them infinitely better movies), Batman & Robin is the closest one to actually getting what makes Batman the best hero of all time - the fact that he's NOT defined as a quintessential lone-wolf hero, but a mentor and father to a whole family of next-generation crime fighters.
ifwdy6zge2.jpg

That he's not just a dark, brooding, violent depressed guy who beats villains into the hospital, but a guy who has the empathy and kindness to reach out to his worst enemies and seek to bring them into the light.
harleyholiday4.jpg

That he's someone who is defined by his compassion, understanding of trauma, and quiet value of the dignity of life.
tumblr_n0uu1zqJ9g1rpuwpro7_500.gif

EQlDPme.jpg

Obviously, some of the comics and TV shows have done it better, but Hollywood has habitually gotten one of the greatest and most popular heroes of all time wrong time and time and time again. I'm baffled it just keeps happening, and it makes me very curious to see if the upcoming Robert Pattinson portrayal will change that.

Do you agree with my hot take, or is a "kill if necessary" Batman acceptable for you? Do you think we'll ever get a Batman movie that actually understands Batman as a character beyond the superficial trauma, darkness, and "cool" factor?

Or can we just accept that Mask of the Phantasm got it right and we put too much stock in live-action movies?
5eYcBGd.gif

(oh, look at that; another story about a vigilante killing criminals that shows why Batman is different and necessary)

Edit: And special shout-outs to Lego Batman.
RewardingHarmoniousHind-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Lego Batman is prob most accurate tbh balanced by how dickish Bruce is in it.

Mask of the Phantasm doesn't count because it's too good of a movie.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
This is the only compelling argument for Batman & Robin I've ever read.

Does Batman kill in the Dark Knight?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Batman sitting and just talking with Ace is still one of his best moments. Such a touching scene that humanizes not only Ace but Batman as well.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Batman Begins, I ended up deciding I prefer a Batman movie that has a no kill rule but Batman terrible at adhering to it than a movie that thinks the rule is dumb and wants to make Batman kill as much as possible which is what BvS did. This even has potential to be turned into an interesting plot point. I know that Batman kills in older movies but BvS came after Batman became established as having a no kill rule in the movies so it felt like a huge step backward.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Interesting analysis OP. I find it hard to argue with it.

Though admittedly I've not read the comics so just give me the best cinematic experience possible, faithfulness to the comics be damned.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
To quote myself

The story of Batman is the story of a boy who lost his family, swore it would never happen to anyone else if he could stop it, and dedicated his life to that goal. In the process he assembled a family of his own that, despite spending their nights on rooftops, act as a family.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Batman 66 is the actual one true batman
Adam West isn't Batman now?
Adam West's Batman punched criminals so hard in the 60s movie that they literally disintegrated. I bet he didn't even send their mothers a card.

Let's ask Harvey Dent.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is precisely why i liked Gotham so much i know many Batman Fans hated it but it was cheesy and campy which was great it had its serious moments but overall was pretty great.

I loved Gotham too. But I do think there is a difference between the dark, gothic camp of Batman Returns and Gotham versus the colorful cheesy camp of B&R and Adam West. The first I like, the second not so much tbh.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
BTAS was just too good. They hit the bullseye on everything they did. Design, scripts, voice cast, soundtrack. Just goddamn.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
That moment in Batman Begins is so infuriating because it could've been so easily avoided. They should've had Batman do what he could to extract and save Ra's but simply run out of time due to Ra's trying to martyr himself and bring Batman down with him. Give Batman no choice but to bail or die alongside Ra's.

I've always assumed that's kind of what they were going for, but Batman's "I'm not killing you but I'm not saving you either, LOL" line kills it. So dumb.

Oct 30, 2017
The thing with Batman & Robin is that both villains serve as an impersonal enemy for Batman. He has no particular reason or motivation to kill because neither villain have a direct tie to his development as Batman or his childhood trauma. So their presence never elicits that vengeful side that is common in other Batman films. And really, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze are very sad characters--one whose sole purpose was to save his wife from a terminal illness and the other whose mission at preservation was often overlooked and her abilities shunned and undervalued.

I'm probably reading way too much into a Schumacher film though.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I loved Gotham too. But I do think there is a difference between the dark, gothic camp of Batman Returns and Gotham versus the colorful cheesy camp of B&R and Adam West. The first I like, the second not so much tbh.
The latter felt like a Saturday morning cartoon show. Where as the former felt like a comic book from that era.

Oct 26, 2017
Do you agree with my hot take, or is a "kill if necessary" Batman acceptable for you
First off, not a comic fan or a batman fan. Though I loved the live action tv show from the early 90's i watched as a young kid and the Burton movies, dressed up as batman as a kid, i only remember from pictures. But i thought bvs was fine and like it more than the nolan films because it's much easier to imagine a batman that kills than to buy into the idea of the secret ninja camp and rhas' plan in begins, or anything about two-face or the skip situation in dk, or anything at all in dkr. While i appreciate a lot about Nolan's movies, they are more unbelievable than superman and time travel flash and batman killing in bvs. given suspension of disbelief, i can buy snyder's vision. i don't buy Nolan's at all. as for batman and Robin, i saw it as a kid when everyone was turning on it big time and remember a family friend telling me it was okay to like it. it might be more true to the character, can't comment there, but that isn't what made it likeable to me as a kid. it was fun. i should rewatch it but I don't mind the camp either. what makes a batman movie good all other things considered are how much i can believe what happens in the universe it has.

i could believe snyder's universe. as a kid, i could believe batman and Robin. if that's the truest one, seems fine. I'm fine as long as it seems reasonable all things considered and the no kill thing is something that doesn't factor strongly in one way or the other

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I have felt that once you include Robin and the Bat Family, you do include a vital part of the Batman mythos that many of the live action films seem to be ashamed of or attempt to downplay. I don't know if I'd say it's the most true to the character, but it touches on something all the other films seem to avoid. I sort of like Batman Forever more of Schumacher's films since it didn't go too over the top. In fact, I find that true with Burton's films (Batman 89 didn't go too over the top and turned out the best of the 2) and with Nolan's films (Batman Begins was the most understated and is my favorite in terms of "Batman films" of the trilogy, while the other 2 started being a bit extra in ways that didn't quite work as well, even if it tries it's hardest to frame it all as "realistic" and believable).

Batman TAS still stands as the pinnacle of Batman to me in terms of tone and everything about the character.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, I'm mostly here because I want to know about this Batman animated episode where he apparently takes Harley Quinn shopping at the mall?

(also I agree that the OP has made the first convincing argument for Batman & Robin that I've ever seen, and possibly the ONLY convincing argument.)

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason why Mask of the Phantasm is widely regarded as the best Batman movie. As for me, I actually like Batman Forever because it felt more like a update from the 60s Batman instead of going full blown camp like Batman and Robin did. I was a little disappointed at his causing of Two-Face's death. However, I expected it then based on his actions in the Tim Burton films. Ra's death in Batman Begins should have been easily avoidable since Batman had already subdued him and had plenty of time to get them both off the train.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Good thread.

Baleman let Ra's die but saved the frickin' Joker. Because principles.

The less said about Rises, the better.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
1966 Batman's weird monologue on the value of life is kinda good also for sure, his no-kill rule is more aptly justified in that than it is in every other Batman movie... Apart from Batman & Robin. Cheesy as they may be as examples, I wish there were more instances of Batman showing that he values life more than he hates criminals.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That episode of JLU with Batman and Ace is one of my favorite batman moments ever.

That show is amazing.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman needs a Robin.

I hope to see him done better on the big screen someday.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
These Characters have been written by so many people over so many years that it's wild to me that people still try and say that the comic book characters like Batman are one specific thing. There is no heart of the character. People like different things from different portrayals. The way a singular character can be different, appeal to different people and say different things over time, that's the magic of comic book characters like this. These characters are like statues that look different depending on what shade of the light shines on them. The core concept can be the same, but where it is taken can be so different. That's awesome. Whenever we pretend that there is a "heart of the character" we pigeonhole them in a way that makes them less interesting.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hi, I'm mostly here because I want to know about this Batman animated episode where he apparently takes Harley Quinn shopping at the mall?

(also I agree that the OP has made the first convincing argument for Batman & Robin that I've ever seen, and possibly the ONLY convincing argument.)
latest

One of my favorite episodes ever and probably THE episode that made me go "okay, this Harley Quin character is pretty great".

Harley... makes it. She serves her time. She's liberated herself from the Joker. She's declared SANE by Arkham.
76b2d00621aeaf8dbfcd6728946f4153ab7e808e.gif

And she tries hard - REALLY hard - to fit back into Gotham society. She's PROUD to be sane and normal again. She's overjoyed to go shopping and pay for a dress with her own money. Until a misunderstand happens with the dress, things spiral out of control, and her shopping spree somehow ends with her accidentally kidnapping a military general's daughter, putting back on the old costume, and going on the run from the police, the military, and Batman on her heels trying to stop her/save her before the misunderstanding gets her killed.
tumblr_pbt70jNXli1xpn75ho2_250.gifv

original.gif

25fcb56ac4de7c54db70aa604abe9718.gif

It's well worth checking out. And it shows precisely why Batman is FAR more interested in rehabilitating his adversaries than just killing them or locking them up. He's ON THEIR SIDE. He KNOWS what a bad day is. And that's why he's rooting for them to turn it around.

... Season 4 may have undid a lot of good of Season 3 (I personally view it as an alternate universe), but I like to think that most of the villains of the Animated Series ultimately got the peace and recovery that Bruce fought so hard for.
SparklingBouncyFairyfly-size_restricted.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I've read a decent amount of Batman runs, though not as much as you I imagine. I still don't lament the lack of batfamily though tbh. I think its the type of idea that comes across as a bit creepy if adapted as is.

Wealthy single man, adopting some youth as his wards, and then putting them to work in life threatening situations alongside himself. Maybe this is me being cynical but that would just make Batman look gross to the masses.

I do think the films need to do a better job of making him more sympathetic though and charitable as well.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that you can have violence without killing is dumb and I'm glad they minimize it in the movies. People die from getting punched, people die from falling to the ground, it's a childish fantasy that you could draw a line and never cross it

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
These Characters have been written by so many people over so many years that it's wild to me that people still try and say that the comic book characters like Batman are one specific thing. There is no heart of the character. People like different things from different portrayals. The way a singular character can be different, appeal to different people and say different things over time, that's the magic of comic book characters like this. These characters are like statues that look different depending on what shade of the light shines on them. The core concept can be the same, but where it is taken can be so different. That's awesome. Whenever we pretend that there is a "heart of the character" we pigeonhole them in a way that makes them less interesting.

The idea that you can have violence without killing is dumb and I'm glad they minimize it in the movies. People die from getting punched, people die from falling to the ground, it's a childish fantasy that you could draw a line and never cross it

FORREAL

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This post demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of comicbooks, their characters, and how they are written. Characters are written differently by different people, yes, but elements of those characters are created, developed, excised or honed over years and become core to who these characters are.

In his 80-ish years of existence, Batman has been without a Batfamily in the main books for exactly 1 year. His very first. His occasional bouts of lonerism are consistently shown as negatives, usually in the very storylines where they happen and always in the follow ups.

Likewise, Batman deliberately killed people for exactly one year of his existence, his first. And his moments of more severe brutality usually occur during those periods when he's pushed the family away.

The finer details of these (why he doesn't kill, for example) are often in flux, but the broader points stand firm.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've read a decent amount of Batman runs, though not as much as you I imagine. I still don't lament the lack of batfamily though tbh. I think its the type of idea that comes across as a bit creepy if adapted as is.

Wealthy single man, adopting some youth as his wards, and then putting them to work in life threatening situations alongside himself. Maybe this is me being cynical but that would just make Batman look gross to the masses.

I do think the films need to do a better job of making him more sympathetic though and charitable as well.
I like the way Young Justice framed it.

Dick Grayson was another cycle of the violence that created Batman. A youth whose parents were murdered by criminals. It was shown that, like Bruce, Dick was consumed with vengeance and pain, willing to risk life and limb to get retribution. Batman saw a reflection of the same angry, damaged kid, knowing that with or without him, Dick would seek to get even.
CatK20QW0AAoV2b.jpg

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
This is my kinda thread.

I'll take my campy Batman movies any day over the Nolan movies.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Or can we just accept that Mask of the Phantasm got it right and we put too much stock in live-action movies?
5eYcBGd.gif

(oh, look at that; another story about a vigilante killing criminals that shows why Batman is different and necessary)
Alfred sums it up pretty well at the end

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. He killed Two Face.

Although in fairness to Bruce, I think the realism angle they were going for meant he wouldn't survive much longer with that level of injury.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I can't really bring myself to endorse B&R even after all this time.

I do believe Bats to be a compassionate character (which many on this site utterly dismiss) and I always enjoy when media plays up this aspect (rarely) but B&R is just not a good showcase for the character because it's like easy mode Gotham. This Batman is a local hero universally adored by the populace and totally relied upon by the police. It's easy to be brave and noble when there is no challenge and dilemma just bop a couple cartoon villains with your crazy overpowered gadgets and then off to a party with your latest supermodel girlfriend. It's a world without physics and edge; might as well be a Mad Hatter fantasy.

That to me is not Batman; his compassion should come through out of extreme adversity.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Okay, so Batman & Robin isn't a good Batman film, or a good film in general. It's still one of my least favorite superhero movies. It's hokey, campy, immature, poorly-acted, poorly-directed... but when I look back at every single live-action movie incarnation of Batman, it still boggles my mind that, at its core, it's the most faithful adaptation of comic Batman's core values and morality.

Unlike every single other live-action Batman portrayal, George Clooney's Batman is the only one that actually doesn't kill. Like, that's incredibly important to who Batman is as a character and what separates him from countless other dark vigilante heroes like The Punisher. No matter how bad it gets, no matter how much he may want to take a life, he isn't a killer.
main-qimg-9319f3f7885ae6c8f83abf87c7dceaaf

When it comes to movies, it feels like the Batman we get is more often like All-Star Batman and Robin's rampaging nutcase with a violence-boner.
2AGJ_c7RalgCwPC4_fd7mDgKzkiSrhdrwAp9Kpe32hGMAh434fLkMskShkTbxn0ZrPOO5039yolJQrgeZTs0IYI7kegWcVih6ztHT1byXpSP6vneE51_ACrY1OVFqmozT7tIrCzRHw

While Tim Burton's Batman will always hold a special place in my heart, he's kind of a murderous psychopath. When one of his lines is literally "I'm going to kill you" followed by said Batman killing you, that's a pretty kill-happy Batman. By the sequel, he's blowing people up with a deranged smile on his face.
FlamboyantTotalHarvestmen-size_restricted.gif

Again, I like the movies, and I like Tim Burton's utterly weird, time-displaced take on Gothic Gotham, but it's a pretty inauthentic take on Batman.

Joel Schumacher was brought in to lighten things up a bit, but even Batman Forever has Batman directly causing the death of one of the villains (and a former friend).

("vengeance won't make the pain go away, Dick. But here, let me do it for you anyway")

The Dark Knight Trilogy successfully revamped Batman away from the camp, and even made it a huge part of Batman's character that he "doesn't kill". The only problem? He's a big damn hypocrite who kills a lot of people in that trilogy. One big pivotal scene that was THE moment I gave up hope of this finally being a story that understood Batman was Bruce refusing to save Ra's Al Ghul.
Nz9CwKU.gif

While it may seem like some kind of loophole, the whole point of Batman is that he'll always try and save people - even his enemies - because at heart he's a character who values life. They kind of did an entire 90s Knightfall storyline about a guy (avatar quote) who becomes Batman and utterly fails at the job because... he refused to save a criminal from certain death. Like, the very thing that proved Jean-Paul Valley was the wrong guy for the job is the very excuse used in the Nolan movies for why it's okay for Batman to let Ra's die (among other casualties).
batkill.jpg

And then, of course, we have Snyder's Batman...
BatwingKiller.gif

(no, you see, it was the bullets and explosions that killed them; not Batman)

That means the only live-action movie Batman who values life, doesn't kill, and goes out of his way to save even his enemies is... George Clooney's Batman.
vengeance-isnt-power.jpg

It's also the only live-action Batman movie to truly even attempt to do the Bat-family justice, as someone here mentioned before.

I hate this.

While there are elements of what makes Batman interesting in all the other Batman movies (and better execution that makes them infinitely better movies), Batman & Robin is the closest one to actually getting what makes Batman the best hero of all time - the fact that he's NOT defined as a quintessential lone-wolf hero, but a mentor and father to a whole family of next-generation crime fighters.
ifwdy6zge2.jpg

That he's not just a dark, brooding, violent depressed guy who beats villains into the hospital, but a guy who has the empathy and kindness to reach out to his worst enemies and seek to bring them into the light.
harleyholiday4.jpg

That he's someone who is defined by his compassion, understanding of trauma, and quiet value of the dignity of life.
tumblr_n0uu1zqJ9g1rpuwpro7_500.gif

EQlDPme.jpg

Obviously, some of the comics and TV shows have done it better, but Hollywood has habitually gotten one of the greatest and most popular heroes of all time wrong time and time and time again. I'm baffled it just keeps happening, and it makes me very curious to see if the upcoming Robert Pattinson portrayal will change that.

Do you agree with my hot take, or is a "kill if necessary" Batman acceptable for you? Do you think we'll ever get a Batman movie that actually understands Batman as a character beyond the superficial trauma, darkness, and "cool" factor?

5eYcBGd.gif

Edit: And special shout-outs to Lego Batman.
RewardingHarmoniousHind-size_restricted.gif
This is the best defense of Batman & Robin that I've ever read, using an argument that I don't think I've ever seen anyone use. Fantastic job.

I grew up with '60s Batman on re-runs, and Batman '89 hit when I was in high school so...yeah, I was the stereotypical teenage boy going for the dark and gritty shit and clowning on Adam West's Batman ('89 was dark for the time, considering what had been the definitive Batman in the popular imagination. It's pretty campy in its own right now). I didn't really read the comics at the time Make Mine Marvel, but I really liked Neal Adams' version of the character and that's the one I always drew in school.

But now that I'm old, I appreciate the campy, lighter elements more. And takes on the character that aren't so relentlessly grimdark. Maybe that has more to do with my own cringing embarrassment of a misspent youth liking that kind of shit, or living in a reality that's got quite enough darkness going for it as it is, but I've come full circle on Batman and ended-up where I started.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
This post demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of comicbooks, their characters, and how they are written. Characters are written differently by different people, yes, but elements of those characters are created, developed, excised or honed over years and become core to who these characters are.

In his 80-ish years of existence, Batman has been without a Batfamily in the main books for exactly 1 year. His very first. His occasional bouts of lonerism are consistently shown as negatives, usually in the very storylines where they happen and always in the follow ups.

Likewise, Batman deliberately killed people for exactly one year of his existence, his first. And his moments of more severe brutality usually occur during those periods when he's pushed the family away.

The finer details of these (why he doesn't kill, for example) are often in flux, but the broader points stand firm.

And I feel like your post is you taking your personal preferences and expectations acting like that's some of storytelling fact here. Of course, over time character characteristics that people like become used frequently and are seen as core to the character. But, these are fan expectations, nothing more nothing less. These characters can still exist without having these expected characteristics, and that can often be when they're most interesting. I feel like you're ignoring the fact that some of the most successful comic books of all time function by taking these expectations and subverting them in interesting ways. I'm glad that shit like Batman: White Knight can exist.