• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

During an LBC phone-in session this morning, the Labour leader discussed the Black Lives Matter protests over the weekend, which saw protesters throw the statue in the harbour in Bristol.

Referring to the actions of protesters, he said that "nobody should condone lawlessness" and that the statue should have been removed "properly with consent" and placed in a museum.

labourlist.org

It was "completely wrong" for protesters to pull down Colston statue, says Starmer - LabourList

Keir Starmer has said that it was “completely wrong” for protesters to pull down the statue of 17th-century…

The memorial to Edward Colston was toppled and thrown into the harbour during yesterday's anti-racism demonstrations.

But in the first edition of his monthly phone-in, Call Keir, the Labour leader said the statue should've been removed by consent long ago and placed in a museum.

He said: "It shouldn't have been done in that way. Completely wrong to pull a statue down like that.

"But that statue should have been taken down a long, long time ago.

"You can't in 21st century Britain have a slaver on a statue. Statues are there to honour people. It should have been brought down properly with consent and put in a museum.

www.lbc.co.uk

Keir Starmer: Protesters were wrong, but Colston statue should have been removed long ago

Sir Keir Starmer has told LBC it was "completely wrong" for protesters in Bristol to rip down a statue of a 17th century slave trader.

These calls of the right way are always funny because 90% of the time the so called right way is never going to happen.

Also it's just an old statue.... Not some actually significant historical piece..

On some level a discussion about the whole everything belongs in a museum needs to be had, it's the same logic used about Confederate Statues in the US which were commissioned by White Supremacist groups like Daughter's of the Confederation being of historical value because they're old.

Edit: Full video for people who don't click links

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, even the Major of Bristol has said as much.

"It's an incredible decision for us now to decide what should go on the plinth in the city to tell us who we are or not just who we are but who we want to be and to use that as a place to celebrate something about ourselves. What I look forward to is having that city discussion.

"In the meantime it is highly likely that the Colston statue will end up in one of our museums."

www.bristolpost.co.uk

Mayor gives update on future of Edward Colston statue

It was thrown in the water during a Black Lives Matter protest

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
how long did you have before now to put it in a museum

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

"It's an incredible decision for us now to decide what should go on the plinth in the city to tell us who we are or not just who we are but who we want to be and to use that as a place to celebrate something about ourselves. What I look forward to is having that city discussion.

"In the meantime it is highly likely that the Colston statue will end up in one of our museums."

www.bristolpost.co.uk

So?

Of course it's going to end up there, lots of people love fetish worthless racist shit. Doesn't mean it should.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I agree the thing should have been taken down, and the protest was a historically vital moment in which to do it.

But

Also it's just an old statue.... Not some actually significant historical piece..

Think about what you are saying here, hah.

Also, yeah, Starmer's gonna be canned by Era for not being on the barricades. That doesn't mean I wouldn't rather have him in power than Johnson (and no doubt it'll add to the cult of martyred Corbyn).

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Um. The reason the statue was torn down in the first place is because people are refusing to condone lawlessness.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Not an amazing response, but I respect that he's in the tough position of having to go straight down the middle in these situations, given you have a load of people decrying the 'vandalism' and calling for arrests, he can't be seen to be supporting 'undemocratic' procedure. Nonetheless I'd hope to see him lean further left in future.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I mean, he's trying to win an election. Albeit in 2024 or whatever.

He's hardly going to come out and say 'I bloody love destroying public monuments, me'. Even if we all took joy in it ourselves.

This is politics in Britain, sadly.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you expecting a senior politician to condone people breaking the law - even if it's a morally justified action?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Where was he when the tories destroyed the Windrush landing cards: Extremely significant historical artefacts?

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Think about what you are saying here, hah.

It's literally just a totem in tribute to a Slave Trader.... That's it.

Literally if it was built yesterday no one would be wanting it in a museum.

It's not special, it's not important, it's racist junk. It has no historical value other than it was built a long time ago.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Where was he when the tories destroyed the Windrush landing cards: Extremely significant historical artefacts?

International Court of Justice.
European Court of Human Rights.
Inter-American Court of Human Rights.
Caribbean Court of Justice.
African Commission on Human and People's Rights.

Where he has been at any given time has been a matter of public record for over three decades.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
So?

Of course it's going to end up there, lots of people love fetish worthless racist shit. Doesn't mean it should.
The sad fact is that Starmer has to play the game if Labour are to have a chance of toppling the Tories in 4 years. If he went all out in favour of the actions of the protesters yesterday, he'd be castigated by the right wing press who pretty much control the mindset of the vast majority of the general public in the UK, and especially in England.

Oct 25, 2017
So?

Counterpoint, it getting thrown in the river adds new history to the statue. Include it in a museum now in a context of how the wealth of the country is linked to intense slavery, death, and suffering, which ripples into impacts felt today, it serves a useful purpose.

I understand why Starmer's getting heat on Era for how he's approached his reponse, but he's saying anyone should be punished for this, or doing any name calling, nor is he calling for the city to keep things how they were. There more important things about the protests and the rest of the current UK shitshow that need oxygen rather than the next week being "UK LABOUR LEADER CONGRATULATES INCITEMENT OF RIOT", because that's all it would do.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
First off, let me be clear: I am personally delighted with what happened with the statue and support it completely.

With regards to Starmer, he's the leader of the opposition and a lawyer by trade. It is fantasy to assume he ever would, or indeed should, come out in unequivocal support of a breach of the law, however morally justifiable it is. It's not what most of us want to hear, but he cannot come out and directly condone it, not least because the Tories and right wing gutter press will tear him to pieces over it.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprised to be honest. Can't be seen to support this else it opens the doors for people toppling the rest of the racist crap we've got around the country. Please ask permission first.

www.bristolpost.co.uk

I think this part is more interesting to be honest

"We do live in a country where some people feel like they are losing their grip on their history and identity, many people believe Colston represented their sense of Bristol.
"So we as a city need to now have that kind of discussion with ourselves about what we are as a city and how we all make sure we have a sense of place and ownership."

Wonder if these people fully acknowledge his role in the slave trade.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

It's not special, it's not important, it's racist junk. It has no historical value other than it was built a long time ago.

Yes, and thus it has significant historical meaning. If it had no meaning it wouldn't have been torn down. It wouldn't have existed in the first place, and thus couldn't have been rejected.

I thought it was simply a rather ironic thing to say about the very statue that's become the centre of a furore.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't the definition of "historical value" precisely that something was built a long time ago?

I absolutely agree that the statue should not be on public display except in a museum where the context of the statue can be interrogated, the same way that Nazi propaganda is on display in certain museums.

But I don't think we should rush to destroy material culture if it can be preserved in some other fashion, the same way that I don't think it should be impossible to view a copy of Mein Kampf somewhere (which I say as a Jew whose grandparents escaped the Holocaust, although I don't think I should need to qualify that thought). I can't help but feel that there is a slight bit of hubris in the thought that "it's just a Victorian statue; there are tons others just like it" in assuming that all of those will be maintained sufficiently and last for the next 100, 200 or even 1,000 years.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint, it getting thrown in the river adds new history to the statue. Include it in a museum now in a context of how the wealth of the country is linked to intense slavery, death, and suffering, which ripples into impacts felt today, it serves a useful purpose.

I understand why Starmer's getting heat on Era for how he's approached his reponse, but he's saying anyone should be punished for this, or doing any name calling, nor is he calling for the city to keep things how they were. There more important things about the protests and the rest of the current UK shitshow that need oxygen rather than the next week being "UK LABOUR LEADER CONGRATULATES INCITEMENT OF RIOT", because that's all it would do.

Then you go and collect pieces of materials from the people who destroyed the statue, put that shit in the museum with photos. There's no reason to spend tax money to remove the statue from the water and secure it somewhere.... if anything, if your goal is to memorialize this moment in history, it cheapens the moment to take it out of the water.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The sad fact is that Starmer has to play the game if Labour are to have a chance of toppling the Tories in 4 years. If he went all out in favour of the actions of the protesters yesterday, he'd be castigated by the right wing press who pretty much control the mindset of the vast majority of the general public in the UK, and especially in England.

This is it. He can't get on the bad side of the press or Johnson will get away with murder again.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Concern Trolling and Dismissing Racism Over Multiple Posts
so because it's not a significant historical piece gives people the right to go destroy it?

I don't even understand why these protests are allowed to go on in such groups, even less so when there are groups of absolute thugs that pull down statues, throw bottles at police and throw bikes at police horses causing the officer on the horse to end up with collapsed lung, broken ribs and all sorts of other problems. While at the same time we're being told to keep away from family and friends 2 metres apart, can't visit dying loved ones in hospital, can't have a proper funeral, can't get married, can't have more than a handful of people in a shop at one time, have to queue for hours outside 2 metres apart to get into a shop, yet people are allowed to go around destroying the city in the thousands with absolutely no repercussions despite advice from the government not to go.

Not to mention vandalising the statue of Winston Churchill.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Starmer was never going to justify tearing down the statue in that way. Even if he personally agrees with it, he's a politician and former lawyer so he isn't going to encourage law breaking. And he's on LBC to appeal to people who wouldn't currently vote Labour so it's a weird tightrope.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the definition of "historical value" precisely that something was built a long time ago?

I absolutely agree that the statue should not be on public display except in a museum where the context of the statue can be interrogated, the same way that Nazi propaganda is on display in certain museums.

But I don't think we should rush to destroy material culture if it can be preserved in some other fashion, the same way that I don't think it should be impossible to view a copy of Mein Kampf somewhere. I can't help but feel that there is a slight bit of hubris in the thought that "it's just a Victorian statue; there are tons others just like it" in assuming that all of those will be maintained sufficiently and last for the next 100, 200 or even 1,000 years.

Yes, and thus it has significant historical meaning. If it had no meaning it wouldn't have been torn down. It wouldn't have existed in the first place, and thus couldn't have been rejected.

I thought it was simply a rather ironic thing to say about the very statue that's become the centre of a furore.

You are applying the identical logic to every single one of those junk statues commissioned by The United Daughters of the Confederacy in the US. They're junk statues.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
so because it's not a significant historical piece gives people the right to go destroy it?

I don't even understand why these protests are allowed to go on in such groups, even less so when there are groups of absolute thugs that pull down statues, throw bottles at police and throw bikes at police horses causing the officer on the horse to end up with collapsed lung, broken ribs and all sorts of other problems. While at the same time we're being told to keep away from family and friends 2 metres apart, can't visit dying loved ones in hospital, can't have a proper funeral, can't get married, can't have more than a handful of people in a shop at one time, have to queue for hours outside 2 metres apart to get into a shop, yet people are allowed to go around destroying the city in the thousands with absolutely no repercussions despite advice from the government not to go.

Not to mention vandalising the statue of Winston Churchill.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
There's always a "but" and a "good way" with white liberals / centrists.

This is the game. He's not a revolutionary. He's better than the opposition, though.

Yes, it's shit. No, it's not changing tomorrow.

You are applying the identical logic to every single one of those junk statues commissioned by The United Daughters of the Confederacy in the US. They're junk statues.

Yes. Because they have meaning too. I think they're junk, and thus they have meaning. Others don't think they're junk, and thus they have meaning. Saying 'it's just an old statue, it's not particularly important' is massively ironic.

If you were to put it in a hierarchy of 'what would people who don't normally think of this stuff normally lose their shit about?', it's way down. But at the same time for people in Bristol, it's way up.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

Yes. I'm not passing an aesthetic judgment on the work - I'm sure the Colston statue is a relatively middling piece of Victorian sculpture, although by definition most work from any period would also be middling.

I kind of think we're quite lucky that we have access to as much "junk" from other eras as we do.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also Keir starmer in that same conversation within a minute or two "It should have been removed a long time ago and had no place in 21st century Britain".

It seems pretty obvious he agrees with the morals of taking the statue down. A professional lawyer isn't going to come out saying "yeah just break the laws whenever, I'm down with that". But era loves it's hyperbolic thread titles.

Pookmunki

Oct 27, 2017
Glossing over the fact that he said it should have come down a long time ago loads the OP a bit too much for me.

He agrees with the sentiment, just not the means - that the council should have removed it.

Oct 25, 2017
Then you go and collect pieces of materials from the people who destroyed the statue, put that shit in the museum with photos. There's no reason to spend tax money to remove the statue from the water and secure it somewhere.... if anything, if your goal is to memorialize this moment in history, it cheapens the moment to take it out of the water.

That's a nice idea! It should be up for to the city to decide at any rate regardless of all the national attention. Might just be they wouldn't want large debris on the riverbed for whatever reason.

I did defend Starmer in my earlier post, but he should go a step further by making some kind of pledge to having a more open and empowered conversation about imperialist/colonial relics from that past that can only be related to trauma. Maybe some scheme to give activist groups more power to remove things. It's completely wrong that the debate to remove had been going on for years without any power for the community to do anything.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Glossing over the fact that he said it should have come down a long time ago loads the OP a bit too much for me.

He agrees with the sentiment, just not the means - that the council should have removed it.

Except that's been tried for years, it was not happening, it was never going to happen.

So it's really easy, and lame, to say do it the "right" way, when the "right" way was never going to happen

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The problem is that the statue was still there, which is unacceptable and what happened is justified.

But yeah, these things should be at museums.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Not everything old belongs in a museum.

Didn't say it did.

My point is this: history is given meaning by people. Thus if a statue is built it is given meaning. If it is torn down, it is given meaning. Just because it's not aesthetically amazing, or holds a famous place in collective memory does not mean it is not meaningful, as evidenced by the very protests you refer to.

None of this is to say I disagree with it being taken down. I don't. The point is simply that to say 'it's just an old statue' is ironic given what has literally just happened.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say it did.

My point is this: history is given meaning by people. Thus if a statue is built it is given meaning. If it is torn down, it is given meaning. Just because it's not aesthetically amazing, or holds a famous place in collective memory does not mean it is not meaningful, as evidenced by the very protests you refer to.

None of this is to say I disagree with it being taken down. I don't. The point is simply that to say 'it's just an old statue' is ironic given what has literally just happened.

Yes.... but the reasoning for why it belongs in a museum being forwarded by Starmer has nothing to do with how it got removed, so I'm addressing that claim to it having some sort of valuable meaning before it got taken down.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019

David thinks the statue should be placed in a Museum, a place where history is taught.

www.bristolpost.co.uk

David Olusoga defends pulling down of Colston statue

"Statues are not the mechanisms by which we understand history"

The fact that statues are used as a symbol of adoration is a historical/social/cultural discussion In its own right and is relevant to how we view history and how society viewed these people over time.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Except that's been tried for years, it was not happening, it was never going to happen.

So it's really easy, and lame, to say do it the "right" way, when the "right" way was never going to happen

Would you prefer he'd taken the harder path, publicly condoning an act which was a breach of the law, and being torn to shreds over it by the Tories and the right wing press? You do understand the need to get a Labour government into power, and the need to appeal to, rather than alienate, a large bloc of wavering voters, right?

This has shades of post-election Corbynites proclaiming "we won the argument" - good for you, but you also secured a whopping Tory majority for 5 more years. Starmer has to be savvy and play the game with caution. I don't know why more people cannot see this.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Didn't say it did.

At this point it feels like you are more interested in simply arguing semantics and in turn shitting up the point people are making.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Are you seriously stating that statue isn't historically important? Especially now that it as torn down by protesters in dramatic fashion. Museums don't exist purely to glory the past they're a tangible record of the past.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yes.... but the reasoning for why it belongs in a museum being forwarded by Starmer has nothing to do with how it got removed, so I'm addressing that claim to it having some sort of valuable meaning before it got taken down.

Now, on that, I have nothing more to add! Indeed: why this statue? 'It belongs in a museum' is a rhetorical device, I think.

Ironically, it could now be this statue because it was this statue. Though of course others would now say it belongs in the river. And so the argument shifts, and the meanings develop... I love being a historian.

At this point it feels like you are more interested in simply arguing semantics and in turn shitting up the point people are making.

I can see how it seems like that, but this isn't semantics. I don't think I am, because what is this all about if not history and our responses to it, and our honest understanding of what we are doing with and within history? Sure, it started as an ironic observation, but I flatter myself to say I think this stuff is genuinely significant. Just look at other posts in this thread and how they play with ideas of historical significance, and how those plays have political and moral and thus rhetorical weight. I am arguing the point and nothing but the point.

Edit: I'll shut up. I realise this probably is me being too finicky, and whilst I do think it important, I know it can be tiresome.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I hope this brings other places to remove these kind of statues from towns. But who am I kidding...

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything old belongs in a museum.

Most museums don't have the majority of their collections on display. It doesn't mean that they don't take the care and attention to preserve whatever in their archive isn't on show at any one point. (This is a vague statistic, admittedly, but IIRC the Science Museum has something like only 10% of its archive on display.)

I think this might be a source of some discrepancy between how people respond to instances like this. When I say that this belongs in a museum I don't mean that it should be on display in perpetuity forever, just in a room in a building instead of outside on some busy thoroughfare - there may be more culturally significant or aesthetically beautiful objects that have a greater justification to be on display. But I do believe that it should be preserved in some archive, and, if it is uneconomical to preserve it instead of some other object, it should be extensively catalogued before being destroyed.