• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Man I would still absolutely play through this again if it were officially released. The level/mission design is still so cool.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
What aspect of the rights on this are tied up with Nintendo? If Microsoft is able to rerelease all of Rare's stuff that was published by Nintendo without issue what makes Goldeneye different, they should be able to rerelease this if they secure the rights to Bond correct?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
What aspect of the rights on this are tied up with Nintendo? If Microsoft is able to rerelease all of Rare's stuff that was published by Nintendo without issue what makes Goldeneye different, they should be able to rerelease this if they secure the rights to Bond correct?
Nintendo isn't the major hangup with the rights; it's MGM that's the issue.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft and Nintendo are much closer now. They should reevaluate releasing the game and perhaps both the Xbox and switch could get a release. There's certainly a cult following out there of this game still.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where does this stand legally then? None of us can play it right since we don't own it? Or does that not matter since it was never sold in the first place?

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Microsoft and Nintendo are much closer now. They should reevaluate releasing the game and perhaps both the Xbox and switch could get a release. There's certainly a cult following out there of this game still.

They have both always been on board. That's why Banjo is on Xbox, for example. The issue is with MGM and, I think, whoever holds the game rights to Bond (which is IOI as of pretty recently). If I remember correctly, back when they tried to release this nobody currently held the game rights to Bond which may have made it even more challenging.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition, Zelda 64 and now this all in just over a month...

hqdefault.jpg

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Xenia doesn't allow remapping. Any other emu that might run this?

BTW, what controller should I get?

No other emulator would run this right now. I used an Xbox One controller.

Does it? I've watched playthrough of the 1st level on yt and there were some lighting related glitches.
I have access to both the emulator and modded xbox, I would rather play the more stable version.

I intend to try this on my RGH box and my devkit box today just to see how it goes.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have both always been on board. That's why Banjo is on Xbox, for example. The issue is with MGM and, I think, whoever holds the game rights to Bond (which is IOI as of pretty recently). If I remember correctly, back when they tried to release this nobody currently held the game rights to Bond which may have made it even more challenging.

Well the Banjo thing is just two years or so ago so I wouldn't say always. Microsoft and Nintendo have been friendly in the past with things like viva piñata on the DS and almost releasing Halo on it but they have been closer than ever as of late.

But your point still stands. It looks like it was a nightmare to clear all the rights with everyone that had a stake in the game. Not even to mention the actors used in it. We will probably never see it again.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well the Banjo thing is just two years or so ago so I wouldn't say always. Microsoft and Nintendo have been friendly in the past with things like viva piñata on the DS and almost releasing Halo on it but they have been closer than ever as of late.

But your point still stands. It looks like it was a nightmare to clear all the rights with everyone that had a stake in the game. Not even to mention the actors used in it. We will probably never see it again.

That's fair - things are quite a bit different than they were back then in terms of their relationship. Regardless, I think we definitely would have had it in Rare Replay if it weren't for someone else being stubborn, and it seems like all signs point to MGM unfortunately.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Where does this stand legally then? None of us can play it right since we don't own it? Or does that not matter since it was never sold in the first place?
Imma go with the latter, if it ever sees the light of day officially, then it might be a problem. I saw Robert Bowling was even playing it yesterday lol

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
Got it running on my modded 360. It took forever to load and I thought it crashed at first. The levels themselves take awhile to load too. You can change between the low original textures and newer ones by pressing the RB button (I kept thinking it was glitching until I noticed this.)

So this will run on actual RGH/JTAG modded hardware?

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Because Nintendo doesn't have a say what Microsoft does with Rare owned IPs. I thought that would be common sense, no offense to you though.

I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded. Banjo is on Xbox because Microsoft owns the IP. It has nothing to do with Nintendo.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Because Nintendo doesn't have a say what Microsoft does with Rare owned IPs. I thought that would be common sense, no offense to you though.

totslly understand that, I just thought word on the street with this actually releasing was Nintendo backed out late and it caused the whole thing to sour. Was it just an MGM or potentially Activision decision then? That'd make a lot more sense.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
totslly understand that, I just thought word on the street with this actually releasing was Nintendo backed out late and it caused the whole thing to sour. Was it just an MGM or potentially Activision decision then? That'd make a lot more sense.

Purely the James Bond rights holders. They don't get video games

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Does it? I've watched playthrough of the 1st level on yt and there were some lighting related glitches.
I have access to both the emulator and modded xbox, I would rather play the more stable version.

I am an idiot. Those were not glitches, the guy was switching between the old and new mode :).
Game works nicely in Xenia, with some stutters from time to time.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fair enough. I was always told it was the fault of Nintendo also, that is until the recent interview.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not sure what you mean with the bolded. Banjo is on Xbox because Microsoft owns the IP. It has nothing to do with Nintendo.

My point is that Nintendo published the Banjo games and Goldeneye. Whatever influence they have on Goldeneye's release is the exact same influence they have on a Banjo re-release. I agree with you that it's very little, but it also proves Nintendo isn't the holdout here.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My point is that Nintendo published the Banjo games and Goldeneye. Whatever influence they have on Goldeneye's release is the exact same influence they have on a Banjo re-release. I agree with you that it's very little, but it also proves Nintendo isn't the holdout here.
Except Nintendo has absolutely no influence on a Banjo re-released. When MS bought Rare, they bought the rights to every aspect of Rare owned IPs at the time. Once Nintendo sold their shares of Rare, they lost any input into what happens with those IPs. Golden Eye on the other hand is a different story.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
I had a hunch y'all might've stumbled upon it while I was testing it and typing this up:

Runs great. 21:9 support in this version, which surprised Graslu00.
You mentioned the 21:9 support. Is there anything you had to do to get that to work? The option in the game just squishes the image for me, but doesn't actually display in ultrawide, and there's no video options in xenia that I can see to force the ultrawide ratio.

EDIT: Think I figured it out below - Link

Last edited:

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
The NFO makes it seem like we can alter the 16:10 ratio at address 82003D40, I'm guessing it means memory address, can we do that on xenia? I wanna change it to 32:9.

You mentioned the 21:9 support. Is there anything you had to do to get that to work? The option in the game just squishes the image for me, but doesn't actually display in ultrawide, and there's no video options in xenia that I can see to force the ultrawide ratio.
I would guess it's anamorphic, so you could probably set your monitor to a 16:9 resolution. Then in the nVidia control panel, select 'adjust desktop size and position' and change scaling mode to fullscreen.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Here's a fun new video from Graslu00 (the Spanish streamer who first showed the world a full playthrough). Easter eggs in the intro "007 gun barrel" sequence start to appear once you've beaten the 360 version. Big head mode, swatting flies, Natalya dancing... check it out:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Runs perfect on Xenia. Man this is incredible.

The ultimate dream would be for a PC build with KB+M support to leak, but I'll definitely settle for this lol

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
The NFO makes it seem like we can alter the 16:10 ratio at address 82003D40, I'm guessing it means memory address, can we do that on xenia? I wanna change it to 32:9.

I would guess it's anamorphic, so you could probably set your monitor to a 16:9 resolution. Then in the nVidia control panel, select 'adjust desktop size and position' and change scaling mode to fullscreen.
So I think I figured it out. You need to open the Xenia settings (via a config file called xenia.config.toml in Documents>Xenia) and set present_letterbox = false. It defaults to true. Then, set the aspect ratio in game to 21:9, and you should be good. As far as altering it further, the Xenia wiki has a section on ultrawide stuff that explains how to change the default.xex, maybe that would work? No idea though.

FsI3fTM.jpg

Haven't got system link to work so far though. Just gives me an error (Lost Connection to Match) when I try to create a match. Not sure if Xenia even supports system link, now that I think about it. **EDIT: Confirmed no system link support yet in the discord.

Last edited:

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance anyone who has access to this wants to PM me a link? I'm kind of amazed it seems hard to find in all the big spots you'd expect...

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this leak hurts the chances of this ever seeing an official release?

If MGM are the holdup and difficult to work with on the IP then they're probably pretty furious about it leaking

I'd give anything for this to release on xbox or switch. I'm not really interested in online play and there hasn't been a decent console split screen shooter since timesplitters imo

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this leak hurts the chances of this ever seeing an official release?

If MGM are the holdup and difficult to work with on the IP then they're probably pretty furious about it leaking

I'd give anything for this to release on xbox or switch. I'm not really interested in online play and there hasn't been a decent console split screen shooter since timesplitters imo

Man if they end up being upset about the leak they should've given Xbox the OK to release this back in 2007

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's pretty clear that changing to a twin stick control scheme fundamentally breaks the entire SP campaign, lol. While it looks "finished" it would definitely need a good amount of polish when it comes to AI & enemy reaction speeds. Looks comically easy.

xXJonoXx

Jun 17, 2018
Goldeneye still holds up extremely well after all these years, I love it!

Last edited: