• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Graslu00 was gracious enough to answer a bunch of my questions, lots here:

arstechnica.com

Goldeneye 007’s lost Xbox 360 remaster has leaked—as a full-game speedrun

Speedrunner talks to Ars, claims the remake is (mostly) on par with N64 original.

Plus, we got the achievement list, if you're into that sorta thing.
Thanks for being able to get with him and talk about it.

If you play the remake on the easiest "Agent" difficulty, brand-new visual waypoints will pop up if players get lost.

This is really interesting. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it, but I think it's a great addition (maybe a separate toggle would be best?). I m sure people will browbeat this or whatever though, which I feel would be wrong since you'd still have to figure out the higher-difficulty objectives on your own.

also
Graslu00 makes clear that he disables auto-aim in his playthroughs.
well that settles that, lol.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Considering how well-regarded the game is, I can see Microsoft, Nintendo, Rare, and IOI making some sort of deal to get a remaster out there. The nostalgia is just too high.

Shit, just release the multiplayer w/online. That'd be enough.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

arstechnica.com

Speedrunner talks to Ars, claims the remake is (mostly) on par with N64 original.

Good info. Been following Graslu00 on YouTube for years. Dude loves GoldenEye😅

Also thank you for getting clarification at the end on the "release" part. That wording made me unsure if the leakers were going to release it or that the Bond rights holders got their shit together and were gonna allow Microsoft to finally release the game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how well-regarded the game is, I can see Microsoft, Nintendo, Rare, and IOI making some sort of deal to get a remaster out there. The nostalgia is just too high.

Shit, just release the multiplayer w/online. That'd be enough.
they tried before. could work out better now that everyone's hardware is overpowered for the game. still probably too many people with their hands out for it to happen. maybe if they did things like genericize Bond and remodel everything with new low poly assets (which I think this remaster did?)

Jul 1, 2020
I think at this point we will have to live with Perfect Dark XBLA with the reskinned Goldeneye maps and classic weapons sets for a suitable stand in.

Jun 19, 2020
This game in 60 FPS is looking so smooth. They will probably never release it because of the licensing issues. Maybe the new owners of MGM (they are looking for someone to buy them) see games in a new light and rethink the issue.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
was his comment posted already?

I'm getting many comments saying I got the "Nintendo wasn't the reason this got cancelled" wrong, that I oversimplified and misunderstood. I did not. Let me explain more, and how I've been in this community and legal mess for long before probably many people here:
Nintendo doesn't own the Bond IP at all. It's not their property, it was a licensed game, such license expired after the deal was over and EA got it on a bid. The game was published by Nintendo yes, just like Banjo Kazooie was, and where is that game? Xbox.

Now, in the description I clearly mention: "As you can see, even if Nintendo was an issue, they'd have to censor the game heavily for it to adapt to their view and see a potential release." - What does this mean? Well, that's explained in the second link which most people seem to outright just ignore. I obviously address Nintendo as a potential roadblock, but even if they reached an agreement, then they'd have issues with MGM/EON about what the game contains. It's all explained in the second link, after GE64 released and was a big success, they didn't like how the game "represented" Bond and started adding fees and guidelines to it. No blood, no Bond dying, no civilian kills, no good vs good characters in multiplayer, no cheats, no use of Bond theme, Bond model has to be the current Bond actor (This was recently changed when Barbara said Bond won't appear on any game anymore), etc.
So, what does this mean? It means that even if Nintendo had a role at blocking this release, it wasn't their biggest concern. The IP holders always are, and those are who decide what happens with this.

In 2014, Rare tried to push this again for release with Rare Replay, even went ahead to record interviews as "Rare Revealed", you can watch it here: https://youtu.be/tESaI06fOJY
Once again, this obviously got declined. Why? At the time all the licenses expired, nobody owned the gaming rights like Activision back in 2008, so why? Oh guess what, same reasons as before! MGM/EON doesn't like videogames and they blocked the release! It's not that hard to understand and I'm honestly baffled by the people calling me out on this, when it's clear they didn't stop one second to think of all the other issues. I've had contact with GE and XBLA devs about this for years, I heard all stories and versions, some were told it was Nintendo by the higher ups, other knew it was deeper than that. Nintedo is, and never was the main issue of this.

Thank you for reading, and seriously, re-read the two links in the description with the interviews. It's clearly explained there that Nintendo isn't the only issue here and never was. They don't own the IP, they don't own the assets, they don't own anything anymore. All of that expired.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This would be amazing if they kept the low-poly style and then ADDED raytracing like they did with Quake 2

Man, I love this game. Was deep into it when they were doing the source remaster but it died pretty quickly unfortunately (the multiplayer). It's also a game made to be played in local or with actual friends, so many shenanigans.

Jan 4, 2018
was his comment posted already?

Nightmare.

arstechnica.com

The online split-screen feature confirmed ! Such a cool feature.

Too bad it wasn't included in the Perfect Dark XBLA version (and other multiplayer games).

it comes with a really trippy feature: online split-screen. This can be enabled or disabled, should you and your friends want to play in separate homes but still screen cheat off of each other. This is a pretty rare feature for an online shooter, and one you arguably wouldn't want in modern, competitive shooters, but anybody eager to relive, say, the college-dorm Goldeneye experience will be charmed.

Great article.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and if you are watching the video and getting the itch to play, Graslu00 posted a video about a month ago that shows you how to get GoldenEye and Perfect Dark running at higher resolution, 60fps, and with KB/M support. Took me all of 5 minutes to do, super simple and runs perfectly.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It's all explained in the second link, after GE64 released and was a big success, they didn't like how the game "represented" Bond and started adding fees and guidelines to it. No blood, no Bond dying, no civilian kills, no good vs good characters in multiplayer, no cheats, no use of Bond theme, Bond model has to be the current Bond actor (This was recently changed when Barbara said Bond won't appear on any game anymore), etc.

Makes sense, it's all stuff that was easy to assume just from the way Goldeneye: Rogue Agent turned out. What a shame, but at least we got Goldeneye 007 for the classic that it is.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got it running on my modded 360. It took forever to load and I thought it crashed at first. The levels themselves take awhile to load too. You can change between the low original textures and newer ones by pressing the RB button (I kept thinking it was glitching until I noticed this.)

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Worth mentioning the Bond license holders canned the singleplayer GE Source project in the past couple years.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the 360 had a nice and easy softmod, ala PS3 and Wii. It's 2021 for gods sake. ;(

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I need this. Probably can't emulate it since I sold my graphics card, fuckk

GoldenEye 25 looked really good too, faithful yet a bit more modern

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Curious why people always blamed Nintendo, when basically every other Rare game got re-released (outside of games that are Nintendo IP). It seemed pretty obvious the outside factor in this particular one would be the actual IP holders.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I never thought we'd ever be able to play this version of the game, but the day has finally come!

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Curious why people always blamed Nintendo, when basically every other Rare game got re-released (outside of games that are Nintendo IP). It seemed pretty obvious the outside factor in this particular one would be the actual IP holders.
The rights issues with the game is a complete mess; there's not simply a singular owner. The rumour that was making rounds was that Nintendo wanted to get GoldenEye on the Wii, but they didn't want there to be a better version of the game on a rival platform, the Xbox 360, which is why a deal could not be reached.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Would it be possible for Rare/MS to release this if they were to swap out the Bond characters/references and tweak the story line/sets?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and if you are watching the video and getting the itch to play, Graslu00 posted a video about a month ago that shows you how to get GoldenEye and Perfect Dark running at higher resolution, 60fps, and with KB/M support. Took me all of 5 minutes to do, super simple and runs perfectly.

If it could automatically detect controller and kb/m, I'd do it. Otherwise, I'll stick to my janky dual analog controller setup for both.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Would it be possible for Rare/MS to release this if they were to swap out the Bond characters/references and tweak the story line/sets?

So... Perfect Dark?

But seriously, if you're stripping away the intellectual property baked into the characters, the sets, the music, and the story, what exactly is left, and what would be the appeal? It would become a different game. People are really interested in GoldenEye 007 here, not a new, off-brand SilverEar 101.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So... Perfect Dark?

But seriously, if you're stripping away the intellectual property baked into the characters, the sets, the music, and the story, what exactly is left, and what would be the appeal? It would become a different game. People are really interested in GoldenEye 007 here, not a new, off-brand SilverEar 101.
I too would love a genuine GE remake, but if it is not possible I would be more than happy to settle for something else.

Most of the enemies are based on Rare employees – there are a comparatively small amount of interactions with other characters, who could just as easily be swapped out, IMO. The level design is based extremely loosely around the GE film sets, so could probably be left virtually untouched. A lot of music is original, too.

I agree that it wouldn't quite be the same, but the meat of it is there. The itch would be scratched. But would it be possible in terms of the license? How much stripping down would it need?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
All this talk about MGM/EON is making me worried what kind of limitations ioi have to adhere to in their Project 007...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, it's all stuff that was easy to assume just from the way Goldeneye: Rogue Agent turned out. What a shame, but at least we got Goldeneye 007 for the classic that it is.
Let's hope they opened up to video games a bit more in recent years, because otherwise I pity IOI for having to work with that spiderweb of limitations and apparent disinterest for the gaming market.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone's Xenia window say 'Direct3D 12 - no ROV, inaccurate'? Is that a this release thing or a my PC thing?

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
The rights issues with the game is a complete mess; there's not simply a singular owner. The rumour that was making rounds was that Nintendo wanted to get GoldenEye on the Wii, but they didn't want there to be a better version of the game on a rival platform, the Xbox 360, which is why a deal could not be reached.

Yup, came here to post this -- I don't know whether this was actually true or not, but it was reported widely enough and seemed plausible enough that most people (myself included!) believed it.

Also, let's be honest, it's a far more interesting turn of events than legal squabbling over rights, so I can definitely see why the "it's Nintendo's fault!" story spread wider.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were huge parts of my teenage years. I must have more than am entire month of hours clocked on PD multiplayer. I really wanted to play the remakes.

But I don't have a 360, nor a PC that meets Xenia's minimum requirements. Guess I'll play this via YouTube…