• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've messed with Xenia (which isn't much) you don't need to futz around with a BIOS. Just a dump.
Although I never could figure out how to get my XBLA games working as more than just trials. I'd copy a full game like Simpsons Arcade and it'd just be the trial version in Xenia. Disc dumps were more straight-forward that they just worked after you copied a disc install from a 360 to a USB drive.
You'll need to edit the xenia .ini file (in the xenia folder inside documents) to access the non-trial version of the game.

Edit the config with notepad and change the "license_mask" number from 0 to 1.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be so great to experience this game again with better graphics (not source mod).

I feel Nightfire is the superior bond game though.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I forgot how disappointing that Egyptian level was. Aztec should have been the final one imo.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This still doesn't really explain why they got so far along without the legal issues being long settled. Seems like a really odd choice to spend so much dev time without that confirmation that was going to be obviously hard to get.
Knowing nothing about the actual situation, it's not uncommon to work on a project you're anticipating will go through. I think it's likely that Microsoft gave Rare the go-ahead, thinking it would be a great fit for Xbox Live, and they'd work out the the legal issues in the mean time. It also helps your case if you have something to show, the more substantial the more likely agreements would be made.

Can't say for certain, but I'm betting the rights holders (MGM I would assume) kept giving them a "maybe." When the project was nearly wrapping up, MGM finally decline on it despite the effort put into it. Microsoft's a huge company so they can take the loss on that, and it probably just ended up using those resources to shift focus onto Perfect Dark instead.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
You'll need to edit the xenia .ini file (in the xenia folder inside documents) to access the non-trial version of the game.

Edit the config with notepad and change the "license_mask" number from 0 to 1.
Oh is that it?
Now I feel like a fool.

Something I read at the time I was messing around with that stuff said something about "compiling" something and I was just like "what's been said to me is out of my knowledge base."

Thanks! I might mess around with it some this afternoon/evening, then.
The auto-aim was toned down or even turned off completely depending on how high the difficulty was. So if the gameplay is on 00 Agent, the "twitch" auto aim is probably turned off.
Oh, that makes perfect sense. It seemed like he was getting tipped off by something though, because he was hitting stuff like way far away at times without bringing up the reticle which looked like he was clued in on the auto-aim somehow.
I only really have memories of it from exploiting it in multiplayer to make my friends rage, though (we only played "Pistols Only/1 shot kills" matches).

Yeah, I assume so.

For the record, I've never actually tried messing around with Xenia so I have no idea whether there are requirements for BIOS files etc. but I think if this leaks the majority of people that want to play it will be doing so on PC.

Even if there are glitches in the emulation (although it seems to hold up well in the video), fixing it up is bound to become a major priority for the developers of Xenia.
I guess we don't have to assume anymore, the description appears to have been updated and now blatantly says (I'm almost certain it didn't say this before, or else I would've saw it and brought it up before)

Played on Xenia emulator to achieve a higher resolution

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Edit Never mind, I dumb. I should have just watched the video. It's already running on an emulator.

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Incredible - it was actually finished but held up by copyright. I really hope it does "come out" in 2021 so people can thoroughly dig into it.

I loved playing 007 and Perfect Dark on N64 and the PD remaster on 360. Goldeneye would be a great fit if they got the licensing and made it available on Xbox, Steam and Game Pass!

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
The audio/visual feedback for bullets impacting enemies is still so damn good. Most modern shooters still fail at this, and end up with enemies that just don't feel solid.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Me: "Huh? This looks just like the original, not much of a remake?"
Me, after finding N64 capture on YT: "ohhhh....."
---------
Anywho, ranking the big titles:

Goldeneye > Everything or Nothing > TWINE > Nightfire > Tomorrow Never Dies (PSX) > Agent Under Fire >>> Rogue Agent

I'd love to play Blood Stone or even Quantum of Solace, is there *anywhere* to buy them for PC? I looked in all the usual places and found nothing.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
The only thing missing from this is the original source music and voice/SFX audio; a bummer that it still used the N64 compressed/downsampled audio.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that makes perfect sense. It seemed like he was getting tipped off by something though, because he was hitting stuff like way far away at times without bringing up the reticle which looked like he was clued in on the auto-aim somehow.
I only really have memories of it from exploiting it in multiplayer to make my friends rage, though (we only played "Pistols Only/1 shot kills" matches).
The player seems to be VERY good at Goldeneye, based on this video and other videos on their channel. They've probably memorized enemy placements and all that.

It's kinda interesting, actually. I feel like usually when something rare like this leaks, the footage would be just very basic gameplay from like the first couple of levels because the person that has access isn't like a pro gamer or anything. But this video shows off the entire game at the highest difficulty with skillful play. Pretty cool.

JMC

Oct 27, 2017
Painful to watch as this would be amazing if it was published. Might still get me to finally cave in to xbox, but I hope if this somehow gets released its a joint Nintendo/MS thing and available on both platforms.

Oh, and this game is just amazing, still is.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks pretty great overall, but some levels like Surface look strange with a differently colored skybox and none of the N64 Fog™ and Statue is so dark you can't see anything.

They went from an otherworldly hellscape to a nice vacation resort

gO4FE3e.png

6VaEtJQ.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
smart patrol

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too familiar with Xbox 360 game modding. If modders were able to get their hands on this, would they theoretically be able to "finish" the game (fix a few of those broken/missing textures)?

Chrixter

Oct 29, 2017
So is that what the RC-P90 (the GOAT) was supposed to sound like all along? Every shot is so crisp. It doesn't even sound like that in Perfect Dark XBLA.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to play Goldeneye again, but I'm worried my modern FPS sensibilities will make the experience miserable. I don't want my memories to be tarnished.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man Microsoft and Phil Spencer have been so awesome this gen, I would not be surprised if he found a way to release this game. He just seems like such a genuine nice guy and would definitely put in the work to go to bat for fans and go through the proper channels to get this done.

Dec 2, 2020
Holy Shit, that's amazing.

Still a shame that Acti, Nintendo, MS, and Bond IP Holders couldn't get whatever the agreement was down for this was.

If I could ask Phil one thing it would be "now that you and Nintendo are buddies, how about that Goldeneye remake for Xbox at 4K and on the Switch for handheld?"

This looks far too polished to never be officially released 😞

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
If this ROM's holder(s) are reading this: Hi from Ars Technica. I'd love to talk, either via DM here or via email (my first name at arstechnica dot com). I protect sources.

I've been following this story for years and am keenly interested in telling this next chapter properly, so, yeah. Whew! What a development.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are trippin saying this game doesn't hold up. The way the missions are handled is pretty unique and still a lot of fun IMO.
I'd love to play this version.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
The player seems to be VERY good at Goldeneye, based on this video and other videos on their channel. They've probably memorized enemy placements and all that.

It's kinda interesting, actually. I feel like usually when something rare like this leaks, the footage would be just very basic gameplay from like the first couple of levels because the person that has access isn't like a pro gamer or anything. But this video shows off the entire game at the highest difficulty with skillful play. Pretty cool.
Yeah, that's a good point.

I did notice how good he was at playing the game. It just struck me as weird as they were shooting off into the distance and hitting targets without "fine-aiming." Eh... maybe aiming without the reticle or exploiting the auto-aim is just a skill I never grasped.

It was pretty great watching them play. I dig these kinds of videos (longplays) way more than like a speedrun. Although something with commentary could be great, it all depends on how interesting the person has to say is, I guess.

Can't say for certain, but I'm betting the rights holders (MGM I would assume) kept giving them a "maybe." When the project was nearly wrapping up, MGM finally decline on it despite the effort put into it. Microsoft's a huge company so they can take the loss on that, and it probably just ended up using those resources to shift focus onto Perfect Dark instead.

I was under the impression that the rights for the game was one big giant shit-sandwich (and nobody wanted a bite). Like EON and MGM somehow controlled licensing it out to Nintendo. I guess because EON owns the James Bond brand and MGM was distributing the actual movie? I guess Nintendo has the publishing rights, or at least they did for that specific game (I mean, EA did that "reimagining" all those years later, too) and maybe Rare (now Microsoft) owns the assets and actual code to the game?

I think I've heard something like that before, but it's honestly been a long friggen' time since last I cared about this, so there's some assumptions in there (sorry, Uma Thurman!).

I should probably read through those links the video's publisher put in the description. There's probably good info in thar them links.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I could ask Phil one thing it would be "now that you and Nintendo are buddies, how about that Goldeneye remake for Xbox at 4K and on the Switch for handheld?"

This looks far too polished to never be officially released 😞

Most indications are that the Bond folks held up this release, not Nintendo/Activision/Microsoft. Maybe they are a big looser now, but probably not with IOI having the license.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is my dream game/remaster. I would go buy an Xbox, no questions asked, if this actually officially released. The footage looks amazing, and this would be a blast to play through again via a modern console/pc.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's saying that we should stay tuned and there's a reason this is happening.

Whether by legal or illegal means, I'm thinking this could be the year of the controlled leak!

132938-1024__43453.1551938410.jpg

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I think it looks pretty great overall, but some levels like Surface look strange with a differently colored skybox and none of the N64 Fog™ and Statue is so dark you can't see anything.

They went from an otherworldly hellscape to a nice vacation resort

gO4FE3e.png

6VaEtJQ.png

Oh man, yeah. The mood is totally ruined here. In the original game it always felt like dawn or dusk and things were slightly hard to see and the fog thus made sense.

It's not like Turok where the fog was a little too close to your face.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

It's a shame this was cancelled! Looks nearly finished though.

Maybe one day we'll get an official release.

I really need to play this, as this game was such a massive part of my childhood. It looks downright amazing, and I'm assuming there's split-screen and online multiplayer as well.

A full release could have achievements and everything. It would do amazingly well if released.

Really hoping the rights holders can figure this one out. The gaming community deserves it.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Damn there must be one stubborn party involved if Phil is publicly saying they've given up more than once.

Hopefully things will have changed in the 5 years.

VideoGamer.com: From a gamer's point of view is amazing that it's not available.

NB: It's just what happens legally sometimes. Not necessarily with games, but you see it with music and films. Things get locked in this legal limbo. Even most of the parties involved, probably all the parties involved want to solve it. It's such a complex issue. It amazes me. I sort of sit on the periphery, but I know a few guys in the legal team. Why can't this happen? I want to play it and I want everyone else to play it. And they're like "well, there's this and this and this and that, and you have to have approval from them, and then there's artist approval, all the way up to probably Pierce Brosnan has to say it's all right for this". There's not enough hours in the day.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Well it has been going on six years since Phil tweeted they had given up. The game's 25th anniversary is next year, so hopefully in lieu of that they've been making some more attempts and can be successful.