• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Which was the party that blocked the release? Was it Nintendo or not?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless things have changed, the speculation in the article I read about it at Ars Technica is that it was the rightsholders of the Bond franchise itself, not Nintendo.
That's doesn't necessarily dismiss that Nintendo didn't have some issues at that time, however it does seem those were minor and likely to be resolved relative to the major issue involving the rights owners of Bond that were and are unlikely to be resolved.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Which was the party that blocked the release? Was it Nintendo or not?

Having played through it and watched the credits, it SEEMS like it was MGM/EON, as there is a plea at the end that reads "BRING BACK GE MGM/EON" after the Old Nintendo credits and "Presented By Microsoft."

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I get random hitches when shooting something, but otherwise it runs perfectly fine. so weird.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
So...how does this "leak", outlets review it, DF does a play through, and so only gamers win?
It appears to be from PartnerNet (allowed devs to test beta builds of XBLA games), which was somewhat easily accessible back in the day. Goldeneye was uploaded there for a very short window way back when and someone was holding onto it.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
It appears to be from PartnerNet (allowed devs to test beta builds of XBLA games), which was somewhat easily accessible back in the day. Goldeneye was uploaded there for a very short window way back when and someone was holding onto it.

Wow! That's really cool.
it is important piece of gaming history, so it's nice to see it preserved like this.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Finally had the time to check this out. And omg, just playing the first mission was a blast from the past. So many happy memories came back rushing.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Finally had the time to check this out. And omg, just playing the first mission was a blast from the past. So many happy memories came back rushing.

Haha yeah! Watching the DF play through was such a joy. After seeing them feature mediocre games the past few weeks (dirt, control, destruction stars, hexen, turrican) it was like "all is forgiven" when that 007 theme played :)

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
If it has been released when originally intended it would have done something, but this is 2021... your Goldeneye nostalgia needs to run pretty deep for bother giving this the time of day.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it has been released when originally intended it would have done something, but this is 2021... your Goldeneye nostalgia needs to run pretty deep for bother giving this the time of day.

Holy grails/unreleased goodness means it is always worth giving the time of day to. Now that time may only be 5 minutes, but it deserves it.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the enemies just fucking keep spawning šŸ˜‚ playing 00 agent and man they just won't stop on some levels.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the enemies just fucking keep spawning šŸ˜‚ playing 00 agent and man they just won't stop on some levels.
The game has a weird/unintuitive stealth system. If an enemy is far enough away that you haven't "activated" them yet but they hear the sound of you firing your gun, they'll spawn a clone of themself to go hunt you down. They'll keep doing this indefinitely until you encounter the "original" or stop making noise.

Some guns are louder than others, so you'll trigger this effect less often if you use eg. the silenced PP7, which has a sound that doesn't carry as far.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game has a weird/unintuitive stealth system. If an enemy is far enough away that you haven't "activated" them yet but they hear the sound of you firing your gun, they'll spawn a clone of themself to go hunt you down. They'll keep doing this indefinitely until you encounter the "original" or stop making noise.

Some guns are louder than others, so you'll trigger this effect less often if you use eg. the silenced PP7, which has a sound that doesn't carry as far.
It's at the library they are just endless at the beginning and it sucks because you start with next to no ammo. But needed a break anyways lol

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Great article by samred featuring some new insights from a couple Rare devs!

arstechnica.com

ā€œ90 bugs leftā€: Rare devs talk about the nearly completed Goldeneye 007 remake [Updated]

Members of the 360 remake's dev team tell allā€”including the reason it was canceled.

Unfortunately, the one thing you quoted was the thing that Ross and Mark have since told me was inaccurate. I've corrected the article; it was SOME executive at Nintendo, but not Yamauchi. But all of the other 2,500 words are accurate! Thanks for linking.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Rare own the in game music apart from the obvious title theme.

It would be highly irregular for the publisher to not retain the rights to music created for a product, so I would doubt this. Ultimately though, it depends on what the original publishing agreement for the game was. Of course, it's a licensed game, so this is even more complicated than a simple publisher arrangement would be, which makes Rare owning the rights outright even less likely. I'd be happy to see any evidence that Rare owns the rights to the in-game music though. Rare has released tracks from plenty of other games on streaming sites, but I'm not aware of them making any tracks from GE available for purchase or streaming, something that would seem like a no-brainer if they did have the rights.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Man this is so much fun. Even if it's never released at least we have this now.

I'm doing all levels on 00 Agent.

As a kid it took me months to do.

I've done the first 6 levels this evening.

Some of those last missions are so bloody tough in my memory...

Nov 8, 2017
Man this is so much fun. Even if it's never released at least we have this now.

I'm doing all levels on 00 Agent.

As a kid it took me months to do.

I've done the first 6 levels this evening.

Some of those last missions are so bloody tough in my memory...

Me and a friend did 00 agent on og hardware in 2019. It was tough as hell. The consists framerate and better controls helps a lot on this version.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Me and a friend did 00 agent on og hardware in 2019. It was tough as hell. The consists framerate and better controls helps a lot on this version.
Yeah the original tech flaws definitely wouldn't have helped.

I think Bunker 2 is where I started to struggle as a kid.

Jungle, Control and Caverns stick out in my memory as the hardest.

Insane I even did it as a 7/8 year old to be honest.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck on the train. Either Natalya dies or there's not enough time to escape. Lost count of how many times I've attempted this level. How the hell did I do this on the n64?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Hypothetically speaking. What would someone need to play this?
A non-potato computer and the technical ability required to double click an .exe

Download the normal version of Xenia if you want to play with an Xbox controller, or this version if you want to play with keyboard+mouse. Open the default.xex file that the game contains with Xenia. The end

Nov 27, 2017
California
When the new bond film comes close to releasing is when we'll see this hit to promote the film
games done and just shove ads for no time to die and bam hype for the movie

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Jungle on 00 Agent has been conquered.

We all know what's next.

Will it be as absolutely infuriating / impossible / shit as I remember it?

I'm so close, yet so far.