• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
smart patrol

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like there's something weird going on with different leaks of this game.

The version everyone is playing right now has some issues (audio lag, menu music not playing, no fast-paced level music, glass not breaking) that the longplay in the OP doesn't have.

There was some talk about the current leak being altered to remove broken features like Xbox Live. Maybe this broke the other stuff too?

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to point out that this, Doom 64 and a few others games that managed to make their way off the N64 kinda showed how that controller aged some games like milk. They play so much better with proper controls

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like there's something weird going on with different leaks of this game.

The version everyone is playing right now has some issues (audio lag, menu music not playing, no fast-paced level music, glass not breaking) that the longplay in the OP doesn't have.

There was some talk about the current leak being altered to remove broken features like Xbox Live. Maybe this broke the other stuff too?

Graslu's version doesn't have Xbox Live features, either.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to load it via Xenia. IT keeps crashing. any tips on getting it to run?

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I haven't tried this game but Xenia seems to have a problem with audio lag in all games, not just this one.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt look like Xenia likes my AMD card (5700XT). Either black screen when loading a level or it just crashes.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt look like Xenia likes my AMD card (5700XT). Either black screen when loading a level or it just crashes.

I have played as far as the jungle level with a Radeon HD 7850, the "master xenia" crashed, "xenia canary" worked well, only major glitch so far was some corruption at the top part of the screen on the tank level, which I played on the old graphics to avoid it, rest was fine... well, performance is not great (not 60 but always over 30) but it feels ok... far better than it ever felt on any n64 emulator that I've tried for the past 20 years, that's for sure.... and better than on the real n64.

for your 5700xt, perhaps try forcing "no ROV" (my ancient GCN1 card doesn't support it and runs with it disabled, but I heard somewhere that with other newer radeons that do it might be worth disabling it for compatibility)

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
I have played as far as the jungle level with a Radeon HD 7850, the "master xenia" crashed, "xenia canary" worked well, only major glitch so far was some corruption at the top part of the screen on the tank level, which I played on the old graphics to avoid it, rest was fine... well, performance is not great (not 60 but always over 30) but it feels ok... far better than it ever felt on any n64 emulator that I've tried for the past 20 years, that's for sure.... and better than on the real n64.

for your 5700xt, perhaps try forcing "no ROV" (my ancient GCN1 card doesn't support it and runs with it disabled, but I heard somewhere that with other newer radeons that do it might be worth disabling it for compatibility)

I tried setting d3d12_edram_rov to false, but the same thing. Oh well, guess it was not meant to be.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I just gave it a shoot and it's pretty good so far. My only complaint is that i think Natalya looks worse on the remaster LOL
DyAXX3w.jpg
Probably a placeholder / unfinished model. I don't think they'd ship it like that. Remember, you're playing a beta, not the final product

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting a the guest has crashed error when I attempt to load the game.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Game seems to run fine on my RX480. Frigate level dropped to 45, but flipped to 60 when I switched to the n64 graphics. Weird.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I too would love a genuine GE remake, but if it is not possible I would be more than happy to settle for something else.

Most of the enemies are based on Rare employees – there are a comparatively small amount of interactions with other characters, who could just as easily be swapped out, IMO. The level design is based extremely loosely around the GE film sets, so could probably be left virtually untouched. A lot of music is original, too.

I agree that it wouldn't quite be the same, but the meat of it is there. The itch would be scratched. But would it be possible in terms of the license? How much stripping down would it need?

The game as published was GoldenEye 007, which the IP holders own the rights to, entirely. The music, the enemies, the levels, everything contained within the game is part of the intellectual property. You'd have to replace everything (e.g., a spiritual successor in the vein of Perfect Dark) to do a release that did not infringe on the copyright of the original.

Where does this stand legally then? None of us can play it right since we don't own it? Or does that not matter since it was never sold in the first place?

This is a good question. I also wonder where it falls in regards to the forums rules. This is what I found there:

Copyrighted Material and Piracy

Encouraging piracy, admitting to piracy, threatening to commit piracy, and linking to piracy websites is strictly prohibited. This policy also applies to links to torrents, direct downloads, pirated reproduction cartridges, streams of pirated content, and unauthorized releases of any kind.

I think everyone can agree that it's not an authorized release. The not-so-subtle PMs asking for links suggests people know that it's not okay to post a link directly on the forum, though I have no idea if a PM loophole is okay. People are admitting to having it, which seems like it could be interpreted as against the rules as written.

I haven't seen any moderators comment on this discussion to clarify a stance since the leak, unless I missed something. It would be helpful to know what's permissible and what's not with this leak in relation to the forum rules.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This plays pretty well on xenia, only done the first three missions but seems like it should be my "definitive" way to replay the game if/when I get the itch for it. I love it when remasters like this have the ability to switch to old graphics on the fly, too.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Online is working via XLink Kai.....not sure if it's emulated or real hacked 360.

Xenia doesn't support system-link online play (that I know of). If you use Xlink Kai, you'll see people in its chat lobbies talk about using debug 360 hardware to get it working online (which Xlink Kai then creates a tunnel for).

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I kept getting random hitches when I would shoot or something would explode. But, it was playable at least on my 3900X and 3080. Pretty cool to see.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to point out that this, Doom 64 and a few others games that managed to make their way off the N64 kinda showed how that controller aged some games like milk. They play so much better with proper controls
This is revisionist history. Turok released very early in the N64's lifespan with the control scheme that eventually evolved in the modern shooter standard with all the important aspects in terms of layout already there from the start. Pretty much every shooter that followed had "Turok controls" as an option, though usually not as the default, including Goldeneye.

Oct 27, 2017
There are some missing effects when playing on Xenia. There is missing water on Frigate. How the heck do I get my hands on a modded xbox 360?

Would like to do some perfect dark XBLA as well, lol.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This is revisionist history. Turok released very early in the N64's lifespan with the control scheme that eventually evolved in the modern shooter standard with all the important aspects in terms of layout already there from the start. Pretty much every shooter that followed had "Turok controls" as an option, though usually not as the default, including Goldeneye.
okay, but the controller was still not kind to the games I listed was the point. Loved Turok too, but also still think that even plays better on modern controllers.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
My CPU is too old to run the emulator. So basically, my PC can play Battlefield 5 at high settings but I can't run Goldeneye.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
It black screens on my 5700 XT, but I just hear music. I can't get it to even load..
I have a AMD Ryzen 3600 and a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT and was able to get to the first Severnaya bunker level with no issue. I originally got the loading crashes, but solved it by switching to an earlier build. The one that worked for me was the 2020.05.18 (D3D12) build. You will also need to change 'd3d12_edram_rov = true' to 'd3d12_edram_rov = false' in your 'xenia.config.toml' file. This file is located in your Documents > Xenia folder.

You can find previous versions of Xenia here: https://xenia.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Taking the time to play through this again and wow I'm rusty. I forgot most of the objectives and I'm getting destroyed a lot (stuck on the second bunker now).
Still every bit as fun as when I played it back in the 90s or even moreso with the better controls. The "slap" sound when bullets hit someone is so satisfying.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I have a AMD Ryzen 3600 and a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT and was able to get to the first Severnaya bunker level with no issue. I originally got the loading crashes, but solved it by switching to an earlier build. The one that worked for me was the 2020.05.18 (D3D12) build. You will also need to change 'd3d12_edram_rov = true' to 'd3d12_edram_rov = false' in your 'xenia.config.toml' file. This file is located in your Documents > Xenia folder.

You can find previous versions of Xenia here: https://xenia.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions
Yep. Figured it out earlier. Thanks anyway though. 3700X and my 5700 XT run it flawlessly, pretty much.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are some missing effects when playing on Xenia. There is missing water on Frigate. How the heck do I get my hands on a modded xbox 360?

Would like to do some perfect dark XBLA as well, lol.

Water is missing on the Xbox 360 as well. I beat it the other day on Xbox and that was one of the random things I noticed

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Taking the time to play through this again and wow I'm rusty. I forgot most of the objectives and I'm getting destroyed a lot (stuck on the second bunker now).
Still every bit as fun as when I played it back in the 90s or even moreso with the better controls. The "slap" sound when bullets hit someone is so satisfying.
I made it up to statue park on Secret Agent when I was just lost on where I was supposed to be going, lol.

Yeah, this game (just going from memory, haven't tried playing Goldeneye for like... 4 or 5 years now on an n64) feels so much better to play with a "modern" controller. I'm guessing there might be tweaks in the game to make it feel better too, but I'm not sure. I never tried it on an n64 with the dual-analog setup with two controllers or anything.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Stupid question. . . What rights are in play these days? Nintendo, MGM/EON, and Microsoft, anyone else? I assume Nintendo was the holdout.

Activision and EA are no longer in play, . .

Nov 8, 2017
Stupid question. . . What rights are in play these days? Nintendo, MGM/EON, and Microsoft, anyone else? I assume Nintendo was the holdout.

Activision and EA are no longer in play, . .

It's not fully clear, but it seems like EON/Danjaq might have been the primary problem. Or at least, the combination of EON/Danjaq and MGM being unable to agree on things.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not fully clear, but it seems like EON/Danjaq might have been the primary problem. Or at least, the combination of EON/Danjaq and MGM being unable to agree on things.
How odd. . .

Though the remake included Daniel Craig. . . Maybe the hang up is perception that this would hamper marketing for the current films.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Now that it's already out there, maybe the 'powers that be' would approve it's official release. I mean, people are already playing it anyway, so might as well make some money, right?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I wonder if this is a "controlled" leak to help push the reality of the interest of this game and get all the parties on board to sign up so they can make some 💰💰💰 while people are stuck in doors and the nostalgia would take full effect

No.

Modifying a compiled game without knowing EXACTLY what you're doing is going to break stuff.

It's one reason why actual archivists always preserve the original, as-is. A hacked up leak does -zero- for preservation efforts.

The game as published was GoldenEye 007, which the IP holders own the rights to, entirely. The music, the enemies, the levels, everything contained within the game is part of the intellectual property. You'd have to replace everything (e.g., a spiritual successor in the vein of Perfect Dark) to do a release that did not infringe on the copyright of the original.

This is a good question. I also wonder where it falls in regards to the forums rules. This is what I found there:

I think everyone can agree that it's not an authorized release. The not-so-subtle PMs asking for links suggests people know that it's not okay to post a link directly on the forum, though I have no idea if a PM loophole is okay. People are admitting to having it, which seems like it could be interpreted as against the rules as written.

I haven't seen any moderators comment on this discussion to clarify a stance since the leak, unless I missed something. It would be helpful to know what's permissible and what's not with this leak in relation to the forum rules.

The forum forbids direct piracy, but not talking about things.

Basically, you can talk about the game, but if you link to a download site, ask for a download site, or distribute the game, expect a piracy ban.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

Rare own the in game music apart from the obvious title theme.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to try this on Xenia. It's amazing, stuff of dreams. However I'm having a hard time with the sensitivity of my Series X controller being too high, I can't aim very well at all.

I wonder if an authentic N64 controller through Mayflash adapter would make it feel perfect since it's xinput. I suppose that would come down to how the C buttons being mapped to the right analog stick feels.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Rare own the in game music apart from the obvious title theme.

I don't see how this is possible for like 90% of the soundtrack given that most of the music in the game samples & is built around Monty Norman's James Bond Theme. The soundtrack also borrows a few key melodies from Eric Serra's GoldenEye movie score.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I wish Microsoft would just license this, happy to pay for it and have it in my library with Perfect Dark.