• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astro as an official PS mascot

• Yes!

Votes: 231 77.5%
  • What about Blasto?!?!

Votes: 67 22.5%

• Total voters

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's a genuinely great design that not only fits PS5 motif but AstroBot is from line of pretty good games. There is Toro and Kuro, but they are JP only pretty much and other Sony characters don't work that well as fluid catch all mascots.

Astro appeals to pretty much all demographics and you have to heartless asshole to hate the design. With the pack in Astro game, the time has come.
IfqiZ2k.gif

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Is having a mascot even "in" right now? I don't know of a company that does have a mascot these days beyond Disney and Mickey, and Nintendo and Mario. It feels like an outdated marketing technique for most companies... Those two examples being the exception rather than the rule.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
He pretty much is (sorry sackboy)

Sony Japan does some really adorable things with him

Oct 27, 2017
Is having a mascot even "in" right now? I don't know of a company that does have a mascot these days beyond Disney and Mickey, and Nintendo and Mario. It feels like an outdated marketing technique for most companies... Those two examples being the exception rather than the rule.

I feel like almost every Japanese company has a mascot and they're very much still a thing there

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Indeed. Mascots don't really need to be a thing anymore. Even Nintendo uses Mario less as their mascot now than they used to, instead using their plethora of IP characters.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Sackboy was my PS mascot but I understand that Sony wanted new and fresh.

Kat from Gravity is awesome but too niche.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

It's still a big deal in Japan (practically everything has a mascot)

But yeah it's not the same on an international level as it was back in the '90s.

Still think they should push Astro Bot though, why not. Make a crossover with Sackboy.

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
I don't think your average consumer would know who Astro is, unlike Mario, Mickey, or Ronald McDonald.

Oct 27, 2017
It could be an iconic character, but Wall-E was a thing back in 2008.

Can't help but see discount EVA or MO (or a mix of those two) every time I see Astrobot.
latest

latest

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since LittleBigPlanet's introduction, I always thought that Sackboy had the makings of a real mainstream breakaway character.

I'm always surpised that he's been used pretty sparingly.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I haven`t played the VR-game but I agree.
And I still hope, Sony is going to develop a "full", non-VR game in that franchise. From what I´ve seen from the pre-installed PS5-demo, I feel like Astrobot could become Sony`s Mario Odyssey.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, trying to push Sackboys and Astro Bots as platform-defining mascottes seems kind of forced to me. They're not really memorable or iconic designs.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
If you have to make a thread explicitly stating it, then you already know it's lacks the broad appeal required.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since LittleBigPlanet's introduction, I always thought that Sackboy had the makings of a real mainstream breakaway character.

I'm always surpised that he's been used pretty sparingly.

I think he unfortunately came about during Sony's biggest slump, at that point they were basically doing everything they could to get people on board with the PS3 so Sackboy didn't really have much of a chance to stand out.

His games also being a little divisive probably didn't help (he was so floaty). I am hoping Big Adventure is successful, at least, it looks like it has the potential to be a very fun and charming game and a nice follow-up to Astro Bot.

We just need more mascots in general IMO

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate the design, but it's not that great. Looks to close to Eve from Wall-E.

nofuckinidea

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Sony did a great job creating Astrobot and the games around him. I wish MS would also have a more creative E-Rated mascot. I'm sure Rare or Double Fine could come up with sth awesome :)

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
People are always on about how Sony doesn't have a Mario or a Master Chief type of mascot, but I've always thought that was strenght in some ways.
That way playstation can mean different things to different people, to some PS is JRPGs, to others its synonymous with FIFA or something else entirely.
It allows playstation a kind of flexibility that the others don't have.