• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The last five years have been brutal. I went from laughing at Trumps odds of winning 2016 back in 2015 and thinking "he said Mexicans were criminals and rapists, surely no one Hispanic will vote for him," to grieving his win, to watching in horror as the biggest "I fucking told you so" unraveled over the next 4 years. Every damn day, a dozen Trump tweets and headlines would buzz over what awful thing he's done next. Then he got impeached, and you know everything else that has happened. I had almost become numb to the trauma. Every Trump headline was another laceration to add to the thousands I already had by now. The final trauma was replacing RBG before her body went cold and then starting election fraud nonsense claims.

Now it's over. Congress certified Biden's win. We got the government trifecta and won Georgia. Bernie and Biden and Kamala and the other democrats all survived the pandemic thus far. And then in the span of 24 hours, Trump was so fucking stupid he couldn't help but get excited about starting a coup, and then dismantled his brand and odds of winning again in 2024 pretty spectacularly. He successfully intoxicated any association with MAGA and got himself permabanned off major social media. He is relegated to the outer circle of the internet now, completely unable to spread lies like wildfire without his own website/platform or YouTube channel. And he's probably going to get prosecuted after the 20th.

I just can't believe it all worked out for us (except for the obvious coup and tragedy of the police officer dying). We still have a lot of work to do to fight misinformation and to educate the populace, but 2021 is starting off with Trump completely shamed and crippled for who he is, and it's a total relish to watch him gasp for air in the media. I feel safe from my government again. We will have a president who specifically has called out support for trans people and supported the BLM movement for the first time. What an amazing reality we're in today that's hard to believe after four years of reading headlines here and GAF and just being pummeled with trauma. It's over. We did it

This presidency will spark a million pieces of art, film, and literature, but it will always be remembered in history as the worst modern president, impeached twice, staged a coup, permabanned from social media, and only 4 years in office. Although he's like Voldemort and may appear later in other ways, he will never have the power he did the last 4 years probably ever again. That's powerful.

Anyone else still processing the reality of the last week? Feel free to use this thread to process your thoughts and feelings over this.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to say but it's very far from over. Look at the amount of people who have thrown their lives away for him and his brand. Look at the amount of people currently in Congress who are still supporting him. Look at Parler. Trump is going to be out of office but "Trump" will be a part of politics for a very long time.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
If no politician responsible faces consequences, I expect a successful coup in our lifetimes.

Edit: clarifying who needs to face consequences

Maxximo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still kinda thinking about the nucleare codes...gonna pop a good bottle on the 20th.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It's not even CLOSE to being over. Trump has changed the political game. We'll be dealing with his shit for decades, possibly more.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But...his ideas and shadow still linger. Trump was not a cause but a consequence. Please avoid putting the head back in the sand just because Trump is not around.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to say but it's very far from over. Look at the amount of people who have thrown their lives away for him and his brand. Look at the amount of people currently in Congress who are still supporting him. Look at Parler. Trump is going to be out of office but "Trump" will be a part of politics for a very long time.

Exactly. It is good that Trump is going to dumped out of office but his base still remains and politically active. Someone will replace Trump and cultivate that base, so the war still continues and the left and even if you are a centrist need to still keep up the voting and political activism to keep the far right out.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
Trump's only a symptom of a bigger disease. The root cause of the infection is and still will be there after the 20th

Omoi

May 7, 2019
www.youtube.com

Red Alert 2 intro

war game

it is far from over

(for clarity I do not actually mean to insinuate that russia, or anyone for that matter, is going to invade the US, I was just reminded of this when seeing the thread title)

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not relieved I'm actually quite nervous what the next 11 days will bring. While he's still there.

Then, it may be over for Trump in the White House but his cultists are far from done.

Apr 25, 2020
Disbelief? Not really. The dickhead had 'one term president' written all over him from the start. Relief would be a better term.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Trump isn't going to fall off the face of the earth on the 21st. I'm sure he'll still be around spewing garbage. At least he doesn't have twitter as a platform anymore though.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
If enough people really think this is over, they already won. Have we learning nothing on how to stop underestimating these people?

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

what I'm referring to as over is his presidency and probably his chances to do something like the trauma of his presidency to the American people again. As a private citizen, he's just a broke, old, idiot conman who could barely figure out Twitter. His massive following will always be there but Trump himself is pretty old.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Not even close to over. It is absolutely imperative that Democrats hold and gain seats. If we don't they'll get back in and immediately start laying the ground work to make what happened in georgia this last election cycle impossible in future elections. They haven't learned any lessons other than don't do a coup in an overt fashion.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a souvenir t-shirt in excitement, a "gang saves democracy" shirt. I didn't want to wear it until we were SURE. The goalposts keep moving for when I feel 100% confident in wearing it. At this point I'm waiting until bidens ass is at that desk and trumps is in jail or lago.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't believe it all worked out for us

Yeah that global pandemic, increased police brutality, fracturing of society, and deregulation of the government has really worked out for us... not to mention all of the national security breeches and cyberattacks that have occurred within the past year and week.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
More like the GOP has a real example of how to do what they want for years as long as they avoid the loudmouthed obvious pitfalls of his idiocy.

Some Republican voters can claim disenfranchisement, but his fans still love him

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that global pandemic, increased police brutality, fracturing of society, and deregulation of the government has really worked out for us... not to mention all of the national security breeches and cyberattacks that have occurred within the past year and week.

I didn't dismiss that, I meant those of us who can read this survived all that and won't have to deal with a trump presidency longer than the next 10 days.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
This is step 0.1. This is nowhere over. As happy as I am to see this verbal tumour go, many problems still remains in America.

The Republican party still remains. People who supported him within his cabinet will in many cases walk free and without severe consequence. Biden, while "nicer" than Trump in speech and behaviour still represents the center right with the Democrats on the political scale, still defending the capitalistic system that enabled and wanted Trump to become the leader. Trump lost the election to the most voted for candidate in the history of the US. election, but in that election became the second most voted for candidate in the history.

This isn't over until the day capitalism is crushed to it's core.

Be happy for the progress, but see it for what it is in the end, a very minor step.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Two weeks of pardons left.

And I can see him issuing a blanket pardon for all of Wednesday's terrorists.

Mar 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Jun 10, 2018
Being relieved that Trump has been voted out of office is the equivalent of feeling safe when a lit match is blown out while the ground is still covered with kerosene.

Edit: This also has to be a take coming from a perspective where personal livelihood wasn't constantly challenged and undermined pre-Trump.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
ITT it seems a lot of people thought by "this is over" I meant the fight against fascism/systemic injustice/conspiracy theories is over and not "the Trump presidency is going to be over" celebrating a small victory that's hard to accept after all these years of trauma.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
here's more food for thought: if it weren't for covid, he had a non-trivial chance at reelection.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Sadly more unrest from these Nazis is likely going to linger for at least a decade.

Although yes I am absolutely fucking ecstatic he will be 100 percent out of office and we have a Dem majority now. That part I am absolutely hyped about.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
It's only over in the same way the tea party shit was over. I'm relieved he's out but it's not like all these people that raised the capitol are gonna wake up on the 21st and be like damn that was crazy

Oct 25, 2017
ITT it seems a lot of people thought by "this is over" I meant the fight against fascism/systemic injustice/conspiracy theories is over and not "the Trump presidency is going to be over" celebrating a small victory that's hard to accept after all these years of trauma.

Because your op tries to play it up more than it is. Winning the senate and having the "most progressive president ever" doesn't mean shit if meaningful legislation isn't passed. It's one thing to breath it's another to phrase it as "it all worked out for us"

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't dismiss that, I meant those of us who can read this survived all that and won't have to deal with a trump presidency longer than the next 10 days.
Out of office doesn't mean out of mind, which is what everyone is telling you.

The actual time he was President is irrelevant to the long term harm he's already done that will continue to fester even after he's out.

And it's really not over, there's still 11 days, and as he's still President, and anything can happen, it's not over. Obviously there's some safeguards at least for some of those things, but not for everything. Maybe once he's out after the 20th, then we can possibly have this discussion again, but for now, it's not over.
If you wanted to say it's going to be over, then don't title the thread "It's over", and title it "It's almost over."

You should know better than anybody that making these kinds of statements can be triggering to those who have suffered in these past years, and trying to prematurely claim that, "It's over", more than week before one can even make that argument is just fueling that anger.

Nothing personal, but just feels like you're missing the point of why people are discontent with your framing of the current issues at hand, especially with that title.