• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In medieval times, your 30s probably was pretty old. Maybe they're doing it for suspension of disbelief?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People in their 30s are definitely old
giphy.gif

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a teacher in Japan, 30, unmarried, and my students tell me all the time that it's going to be impossible to find someone now.

High school life is romanticized because the adult world in Japan is the greyest, most boring, most rote, soul sucking place to exist in a first world country. It's just work, work, work, not to mention all the little rules you have to follow, both at work and in everyday life.

I'm making Japan sound like a hellhole - it's not - but high school feels like paradise by comparison to the working world to a lot of people, I think. Which is funny, because high school here is a lot more rigid than in the west, too. But there's an overwhelming sense of community and place in the kid's assigned classes, their clubs, their circles of friends. Meanwhile, adult society is all about being a faceless cog.

Also, I KNEW this thread was going to be about Raven. I'm also playing Vesperia, and seeing how they treat this guy so dangerously close to my age is frightening. I even noticed how weird it was when I played the game for the first time ten years ago, but I really feel it now.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Recovery of An MMO Junky sorta clued me in on work culture, but I didn't want to make baseless assumptions about a culture I'm not knowledgeable about. I guess its not uncommon to sleep at the office for like half the work week.

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I like to imagine jrpg characters as 10 years older most of the time, which makes a lot more sense in most cases. Except actual children or if the game is set on a high school like Persona or Cold Steel.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
In medieval times, your 30s probably was pretty old. Maybe they're doing it for suspension of disbelief?
The medieval average life span was mostly due to children dying during birth or shortly after. If anyone got past early childhood they generally had a good chance of making it to their 50s.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
They have a derogatory term for women over 25. "Christmas cakes" because you throw them out on the 26th.

It wouldn't be as annoying if the starring cast of JRPGs were more diverse. I cant even remember the last time I had a main playable MC on a JRPG that had any facial hair. The closest was Noctis (who looked cool as shit) but you barely get to play as him for an hour in a 80 hour game.

Definitely, it was an absolute breath of fresh air, because not only did he have a shitty summerstache after the skip, it wasn't even shitty. He was straight Rocking what he had, and it was an awesome physical metaphor for his maturity as a character at that point. You'll NEVER see that in stuff again, Man!

I can't even remember the last shirtless man in a video game with even Mild chest hair either, like are we supposed to expect none of these guys are old enough for a little fuzz anywhere? Not even on the freaking arms?! Like, what's up with these magic hairless people in their magical hairless dimensions?! No I am not joking!

I like to imagine jrpg characters as 10 years older most of the time, which makes a lot more sense in most cases. Except actual children or if the game is set on a high school like Persona or Cold Steel.

Honestly, that's how I believe a majority of these characters are made, and the decade-downgrade is a mix of being marketing and culturally enforced.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
It's accurate in Japan. High school is when you can be an individual but after that ya gotta become a cog in the machine and get 4 hours of sleep. Japan's work environment is fucked up.
IIRC a study somewhere showed that Japan isnt much more fucked up in that regard than America is, but America abuses the hell out of salaried workers so that isnt really an accomplishment.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, it was an absolute breath of fresh air, because not only did he have a shitty summerstache after the skip, it wasn't even shitty. He was straight Rocking what he had, and it was an awesome physical metaphor for his maturity as a character at that point. You'll NEVER see that in stuff again, Man!

I can't even remember the last shirtless man in a video game with even Mild chest hair either, like are we supposed to expect none of these guys are old enough for a little fuzz anywhere? Not even on the freaking arms?! Like, what's up with these magic hairless people in their magical hairless dimensions?! No I am not joking!
Bearded Noctis is my #1 pick for the hottest male protagonist of any videogame I've ever played, and I'm straight but I call it like I see it. He looked fiiiiine!

Remember how the internet imploded when Capcom accidentally struck gold by giving shirtless Ryu a beard? I know that's not a JRPG protagonist but still it's like "Japanese companies wake up, we don't want every goddamn JRPG to star a baby faced clean shaven anime boy in his teens!"

It's not even a sexism problem per se. It's just that their choice is so specific that even white men older than 29 who have a 5 o clock shadow are not represented by JRPG protagonists! I don't know how they don't get bored!

Oct 28, 2017
IIRC a study somewhere showed that Japan isnt much more fucked up in that regard than America is, but America abuses the hell out of salaried workers so that isnt really an accomplishment.

Japan has one of the highest amount of overtime hours worked I heard last year. It's so bad, ppl have died. Prime minister Abe finally lowered the amount of overtime but not by much if I recall. I'll find the article.

Edit. Found. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/01/jap...-hours-in-the-world-its-trying-to-change.html

https://www.fisherphillips.com/Cross-Border-Employer/japan-enacts-new-overtime-rules-to-prevent

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

No, it wasn't. The low life expectancy was due to infant and childhood mortality, which pulls down the average. If you survived adolescence you had a fine chance of living to your 50s or 60s, unless you were a woman who gave birth, which was pretty risky. Point is, people over 30 were not unusual in medieval times.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just "J"RPGs though?

"OH YES!"

OLD MEN...ARE THE FUTURE!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely overplayed in anime/games but I just came back from a group travel trip and ages ranged from 19 to 36. Me being 30 I found out that 19-22 year olds really are still just kids and compared to them I kinda am old. Talking about movies, TV shows, music, etc. really showed how much of a difference there is. It was an interesting experience.

Fuck Auron being 35. I thought he was 40-50...

quistis trepe is 18! oldest looking teenager in the history of forever
The fucking teacher? 18? SE, HOW?

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The intended audience are teenagers. People in their 30s are going to be old compared to them.

Auron is only 35? I thought he was 50.

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Your body generally does start experiencing age related problems when you get to your 30s in my and my friends' experiences. Auron being 35 is pretty ridiculous, though. The dude looks like he's in his mid 40s at least.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How did I know it was gonna be Raven? With all the "old man" character archetypes, it makes me wish there were more "old lady" characters kickin' butt.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are actually story reasons for Raven but I generally agree with you op
I was gonna mention this. Raven
actually does have a "heart condition" and when he mentions stuff like that himself he's referring to said condition.

Not that that explains the party treating him that way, and while I think Auron is a bad example (nobody I can remember treats him like he's old) this trope definitely does exist.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, most JRPGs have demons and monsters roaming the countryside so I expect life expectancy isn't the best!

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, it wasn't. The low life expectancy was due to infant and childhood mortality, which pulls down the average. If you survived adolescence you had a fine chance of living to your 50s or 60s, unless you were a woman who gave birth, which was pretty risky. Point is, people over 30 were not unusual in medieval times.
I stand corrected.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they look like this at 13
6b7cbe501236df7296376fc4514c029b--jaco-art-manga.jpg
it's not surprising, this have been a thing in anime and games since forever.

Yeah, I remember than even when I was kid, the characters in Saint Seiya looked waaaaay older than they supposedly were. Most of them look like they are in their mid-twenties when they're supposed to be young teenagers.

If I recall correctly they're older in the anime than in the manga (and also not brothers)

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
I wouldn't mind more main characters in jrpgs to be older than 17, a 25, or 30 year old man would be pretty cool, I agree with OP that's why I haven't played many jrpgs as of late need to mix it up but people still buy it so yeah lol

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Setting aside the "lol OP" comments, you're not wrong that Japanese genre media is weirdly skewed towards very young casts. When you median age is around 14, 30 is old.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just pretend that in JRPGs it really is like medieval times and you're probably a grandparent by the time you hit 40

Edit: Having just played XC2 Torna expansion it was nice to see that Lora (the main character) was 27 and that the other characters were surprised as she looked younger. No jokes about being old, just complimented for looking so youthful. Was a nice change. No idea how old Addam is in the game but probably late 20s/early 30s. Again not presented as old just as normal.
Yeah Torna's protagonist owns.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I will concede the likes of Spiderman, Batman, Superman, etc. are Western creations, Superheros (the big ones) in general are popular worldwide. Japanese developers, especially if they aim for an international audience, aren't going to be automatically shooting themselves in the foot if they feature older protags.

If you want to use shonen more specifically, Dragon Ball Z (and newer) features almost an entirely adult cast. For a more modern example, One Punch Man took off like a rocket and its cast is basically all adults. These are the minority of casts but I'm just trying to demonstrate it can be done and succeed. This isn't some impossible task :P

One Punch Man is a seinen manga. It has nothing to do with shounen. This is why using shonen as a genre is a complete mess as when people are talking about the real mean, it add this confusion.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Can't think of any older playable ladies off the top of my head though? Lulu in FFX is relatively 'mature', but she's... 24.

Labyrinthia in Wild Arms XF, she's late 30s and kinda has the personality of a kindergarten teacher, but she's unsurprisingly super adept at magic. She's a bit self deprecating about her age...

Good ol rpgs. It's funny how the fanbase is both Japanese teens and westerners in their 30s :p When I was little I used to think Cecil from FF4 was much older, especially with the white hair he has as a paladin. Shocked when he turned out to be early 20s.

Last edited: