• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I was just thinkin about this yday

We pay the amount of like 1 CD a month for access to ANY music we want

We can load super high quality videos from the internet instantly on our PHONES which are super powerful computers

We basically can tell our friends about a tv show we like and by next week they can see every damn episode of it

Tbh that shit is just totally crazy

Imagine what the world is gonna be like 20 years from now

inb4 we're all dead from GW

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
my dad had a palm pilot for work in the 90's

i was so jelly

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was going to be about the state of the world, not tech advancement.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This and snail mail needs to DIE

I actually like getting letters now, they're quaint and old fashion-y and someone has to actually give a fuck to write you one (thanks Mom).

But yes faxing needs to die, or at least just let eFax live if you absolutely need to. Government is horrible about keeping faxing alive as the only ways of submitting some stuff.. and it's horrible.

OP
OP
Ryaaan14

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I too owe Columbia House a lot of money.

LMAO OMG

My dad was a wedding DJ when I was a kid and the pure excitement of him letting me pick like 1-2 CDs on the list was unrivaled. I'll never forget getting Green Day 'Dookie' and Ace of Base as my first CDs from him having no clue what they were beforehand.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
We seem distracted, overstimulated, unfocused, and unprepared for all the things we have access to. Additionally we need focus more than ever with the social challenges facing us, but its incredibly easy to minimize our problems into bitesized punchlines and memes

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
LMAO OMG

My dad was a wedding DJ when I was a kid and the pure excitement of him letting me pick like 1-2 CDs on the list was unrivaled. I'll never forget getting Green Day 'Dookie' and Ace of Base as my first CDs from him having no clue what they were beforehand.
Lol I was in the BMG one. I got to like 9 CDs I wanted and couldn't think of anything else so now I own a Creed cd

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO OMG

My first CD was.. I shit you not.. Billy Ray Cyrus "Some Gave All" back when CDs used to come packaged in those huge rectangle cardboard things for no apparent reason.

Man. Tapes sucked ass.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP. My kid grows up ina a world where if she wants to watch a tv show it's available on demand and she can watch the entire series. When I was a kid if you missed an episode of tv, that was it. You missed it forever.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Being an HVAC tech hearing stories of what guys had to go through to find a certain part or call the office from a pay phone just to know where you were going is wild to me.

Just today I was on a roof doing some routine maintenance and one unit had a problem but the wiring diagram was no where to be found. I googled the model number, pulled up the official site, followed the diagram and discovered what part was need, called a supplier to order the part and I picked it up and did the repair. All that prep work to find a part took me 10 minutes on the phone.

OP
OP
Ryaaan14

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Lol I was in the BMG one. I got to like 9 CDs I wanted and couldn't think of anything else so now I own a Creed cd

Which Creed CD? I loved them back in like 97

My first CD was.. I shit you not.. Billy Ray Cyrus "Some Gave All" back when CDs used to come packaged in those huge rectangle cardboard things for no apparent reason.

Man. Tapes sucked ass.

HAHAHA...just the other day I was listening to Some Gave All on Spotify just to trigger some nostalgia and about 3 hours later I get a Snapchat from my girlfriend and it's a video of my recent Spotify activity on our home computer with question marks by it. Kind of fucking embarrassing tbh

I agree OP. My kid grows up ina a world where if she wants to watch a tv show it's available on demand and she can watch the entire series. When I was a kid if you missed an episode of tv, that was it. You missed it forever.

Not forever. Your mom's coworker may have taped it!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was going to be about the state of the world, not tech advancement.

Yeah pretty much from when Bush took the election in 2000

Then we got 9/11, the Patriot Act, and so on

But there have been bright spots too like Gay Marriage, the Dream Act, and the parts of the ACA that still live.

I don't know if it's just rose colored glasses but the 90s was just so god damn optimistic to what we have going now. The advancement of tech just feels like a distraction really

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Well, you do. I guess I have whatever the amazon prime music thing is. I tend to listen to recordings of live performances more than anything else in general tho, so those are on youtube and cost me rarely more than having to experience an ad

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Meh. We adapt and it ceases to be special. Progress is a hamster wheel
XlkQhba.gif

Thank you Buzz Killington

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's just rose colored glasses but the 90s was just so god damn optimistic to what we have going now. The advancement of tech just feels like a distraction really

I was thinking about this exact same thing a couple of days back. Like in the 90s we had hope. Then Bush and 9/11 happened and the US went collectively fucking insane. Like the West still had unrest and civil rights issues in the 90s (Rodney King) but it felt like people wanted to put in the effort to make things better.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm about to turn 30 and it's a weird existence. It's insipid to say at this point, but I 'member when my mother would take me to the JC Penney catalog store so that she could order things to be shipped to the store that she'd have to go pick up. I remember in the early 2000s getting stranded on the highway with my parents because they didn't have a cell phone yet. I remember needing to keep my mother off the phone so that I could play Phantasy Star Online on GameCube (we didn't adopt broadband until 2005). I remember my flip-phone, remember a computer that struggled to run Sonic R.

It has to be more surreal for my dad, born the year of the Cuban Revolution. He'll reminisce about three TV channels and the fourth you could get if you positioned the antenna just right. To think he'd live to a time when the Soviet Union was retreating further and further into history books.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like man landing on Mars is going to be such a crazy awesome moment.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
20 years ago, every household in my country only have 1 TV which was the only entertainment option for the family.

Today, every member of the family has a smartphone to cater to each one's entertainment needs.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
20 years ago, I was lucky to access the internet if enough people in my area were not on.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shits gonna get worse but also better in many ways too I guess. It depends on when one reaches its limit.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Too bad 40+ hour work weeks are still a thing though. That hasnt changed since the industrial revolution.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinkin about this yday

We can load super high quality videos from the internet instantly on our PHONES which are super powerful computers

We basically can tell our friends about a tv show we like and by next week they can see every damn episode of it

Tbh that shit is just totally crazy

Imagine what the world is gonna be like 20 years from now

inb4 we're all dead from GW
And yet I still have a smaller selection of quality movies on the available digital subscription and rental services than I had at my local rental store in 2005.

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I remember I wanted to download one episode of The Animatrix they put out as a preview in 2003 and it took nearly all day to finish. It was a ten minute video.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
LMAO OMG

Never seen a dude excited to receive shit in the mail. Go you