• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Been going back through some old games as a bit of a palate cleanser and decided to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom; and wow, this game is still amazing.

The diverse roster having representatives coming from numerous series, the Baroque and Cross Combination system, the (for the most part) balanced gameplay, the unique and colorful stage design, and the catchy music, with its opening being my favorite in all of Capcom's titles:

And yet, it is such a shame that this game is still only on the Wii. This really is a game that needs to be experienced by many, as I think it is one of the best fighting games ever. Not just in terms of gameplay either, but in terms of what it offers too, as it has so much content, from unique endings in story mode, to gallery art and colors to unlock, to a secret gameplay mode that is offered as well.

Anyways, just wanted to share my love for this game with y'all. Here's to hoping the IP won't be left in the late 2000s for the rest of eternity.

What are your thoughts on this game, Era?

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Man the OST was something in this game. Daigo Temple Moonlight was one of my favorites while the Mall stage was fun just for the sake of having all the zombies break out their cameras at the end of a match.

It did seem though that this game did run into a few complications such as the one character that apparently couldn't be in the US version. Overall, it does seem like an underrated treasure and it did serve almost as a leaping off point for what we would get later with MvC3.

I think Phoenix Wright deserved to be in this game .

You are thinking of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Wright was never in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Man the OST was something in this game. Daigo Temple Moonlight was one of my favorites while the Mall stage was fun just for the sake of having all the zombies break out their cameras at the end of a match.

It did seem though that this game did run into a few complications such as the one character that apparently couldn't be in the US version. Overall, it does seem like an underrated treasure and it did serve almost as a leaping off point for what we would get later with MvC3.

You are thinking of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Wright was never in Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

I corrected my post to clarify, I know he wasn't in it but he should have been.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I was dead certain it would get a port onto the 360/PS3 back in the day. But I guess the sales just weren't there to back it. The US release in-itself was nothing short of a miracle

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That this game was released outside of Japan at all is still something that amazes me. I imagine it was a licensing nightmare, and the potential sales of a remake or sequel just aren't seen as viable.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It'll never leave the Wii because, if you remember, it was a miracle to get it localized already due to all the licensing involved. And it didn't pay off. They're never gonna dig into all that again for a re-release.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
yeah TvC is a licensing miracle. Be content that it was localized in the first place

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
That song is the main thing I remember about this game.

Hot damn.

hirDqxJ.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we lived in a just world then Capcom would make Capcom Fighting All-Stars that played just like this.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Been going back through some old games as a bit of a palate cleanser and decided to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom; and wow, this game is still amazing.

The diverse roster having representatives coming from numerous series, the Baroque and Cross Combination system, the (for the most part) balanced gameplay, the unique and colorful stage design, and the catchy music, with its opening being my favorite in all of Capcom's titles:

And yet, it is such a shame that this game is still only on the Wii. This really is a game that needs to be experienced by many, as I think it is one of the best fighting games ever. Not just in terms of gameplay either, but in terms of what it offers too, as it has so much content, from unique endings in story mode, to gallery art and colors to unlock, to a secret gameplay mode that is offered as well.

Anyways, just wanted to share my love for this game with y'all. Here's to hoping the IP won't be left in the late 2000s for the rest of eternity.

What are your thoughts on this game, Era?

It sounds like this game was a licensing nightmare to begin with.

I doubt we'll ever see it again.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Still have it (those times with full color booklets) and still inside my Wii U. XD

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Such a fun game. Probably my favorite in the VS series. Shame we never got a sequel with an expanded roster. The existing roster is amazing though. So many more "out there" choices than UMvC3 and Infinite had, like Saki and PTX-40A, and, well, all of the Tatsunoko characters.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more hyped for a Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom 2 with the same type of character choices than just about any versus game.

I desperately want to play Rathalos as a giant, too.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'd be more hyped for a Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom 2 with the same type of character choices than just about any versus game.

I desperately want to play Rathalos as a giant, too.
Y'know, especially in light of Monster Hunter Tri, it's even weirder that a Monster Hunter monster didn't show up, even if the attitude at the time was they didn't want a Hunter on a roster.

Even if they wanted to stick with someone more bipedal, someone like Rajang was right there!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/17/these-characters-didnt-make-the-tatsunoko-vs-capcom-cut/

Representing Tatsunoko:

1. Joe the Condor (Gatchaman)
2. Yatterman #2
3. Shurato (from Shurato)
4. Soul Taker
5. Nakahara Komugi
6. Daikyojin (mecha of Yattodetaman, another Time Bokan series anime)
7. Berg Katse (enemy of Gatchaman)
8. Tekkaman Evil
9. Braiking Boss (enemy of Casshern)
10. JJ (Zillion)

Representing Capcom:

1. Leon
2. Nash (Charlie)
3. Date Masamune
4. Arthur
5. Ibuki
6. M. Bison
7. Lei-Lei/Hsein-Ko (from Darkstalkers)
8. Zero Gouki (Cyberbots mecha… who acts like Gouki)
9. Tiara Hime (from Gaia Masters, another Japan only, obscure Capcom game)
10. Nero
11. June
12. Rouge
13. Tyrant
14. Hinata Wakaba

Excuse me, I seem to have slobbered all over myself.

I like how instead of Akuma, they would have given us giant robot Akuma. That's a spin on a shoto right there.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a miracle this even got released in the US the first time around.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for reminding me. I own this and I think it's about time to dust it off and play a little.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
It was awesome. Preferred it to MvC3.
Also, shame only Japan got the best opening::

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Baroque kicks the ever loving shit out of X Factor and this is the best Mega Man move set in a VS title. Baffling that the slowest action Mega Man series, Legends, gave the fastest Mega Man moveset while one of the fastest series, X, gave one of the slowest in Infinite.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Man I miss this game so much, will always appreciate it introducing me to Yatterman and Doronjo series. Game also played with a unique giant character mechanic which was always amazing to me.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/17/these-characters-didnt-make-the-tatsunoko-vs-capcom-cut/

I like how instead of Akuma, they would have given us giant robot Akuma. That's a spin on a shoto right there.

This makes the lack of a sequel sting all the more.

It's also interesting that Nero was considered before Dante. But then, as giant mech Akuma being considered also shows, TvC did feel like it wanted to go for some less obvious choices.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
The licensing nightmare would be too much to handle to even think of rereleasing this gem. Hell we were lucky TvC even came out West at all.

It's probably best to make a spiritual successor with TvC's if Capcom wanted to revisit the game at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I actually did my part and bought this game back in the day which is funny since I'm not particularly into fighting games but I loved to support Wii exclusives.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work outta data on mobile right now but I have done a lot of research on this game. It's not just licensing holding back a port. Engine was a Frankenstein of tweaked and odd things that essentially meaning it ain't o the Wii it wouldnt run right. It would essentially need a rebuild.

Somewhere on here is a cut paste quote fro. My notes on it.

Also things that were considered but didnt make it include Nero, Phoenix Wright behind a desk, Mute king, and I think some girl but I can't remember who. I dont think Ingrid. I think it was a tatsunoko character. There's a Japanese magazine with images on it on Google somewhere if anyone here wants to search and paste it.

Game has been at Frosty faustings for several years as well as fan side tournies at evo for awhile. Dolphin is the standard fare these days and a ton of crazy teams exist now at high tourney play level. Joe the condors, ippatsumen, roll teams...you name it.

I dream of its return. It deserves more life.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work outta data on mobile right now but I have done a lot of research on this game. It's not just licensing holding back a port. Engine was a Frankenstein of tweaked and odd things that essentially meaning it ain't o the Wii it wouldnt run right. It would essentially need a rebuild.

Somewhere on here is a cut paste quote fro. My notes on it.

Also things that were considered but didnt make it include Nero, Phoenix Wright behind a desk, Mute king, and I think some girl but I can't remember who. I dont think Ingrid. I think it was a tatsunoko character. There's a Japanese magazine with images on it on Google somewhere if anyone here wants to search and paste it.

Game has been at Frosty faustings for several years as well as fan side tournies at evo for awhile. Dolphin is the standard fare these days and a ton of crazy teams exist now at high tourney play level. Joe the condors, ippatsumen, roll teams...you name it.

I dream of its return. It deserves more life.

Is it this post you're talking about?

As a long time player and someone who did some diggin on TVC I gotta tell you that outside of it being emulated for the port it is highly unlikely.

The main reason isn't the licensing which unto itself is a HUGE thing given how the licenses for the cast are even more spreadout and valuable than ever now thanks to things like VIZ, Netflix, and others grabbing an rebooting many of the Tasunoko franchises. The big thing is that this game was developed on a FRANKENSTEIN ENGINE. You see TVC came out at a time when "next gen" engines weren't done yet and online was a very new concept. The reason it happened was that 8ing had an engine already for the wii...one that was used for licensed titles for Kamen Rider fighting games and games like Bleach. The climax heroes series of games however couldn't DO what they needed things to do for this fighter so they started to mod the engine a piece at a time for every new thing they needed. You see those Kamen Rider fighting games had few hit sparks and basic animations and were LARGELY getting by by doin a trick where many attacks would go to a "cut scene" to save on memory at runtime. To handle all the lighting and effects, and speed and extra models for fireballs and Friender + an assist vs potentially another Casshern with a friender out and their tag or a bunch of fireballs which are more 3d models since particle effects weren't a thing yet and then suddenly someone hits a lvl 3 with all its crazy stuff to render all in a tag game at the same time was gonna tax the Wii and this engine far beyond what it was originally designed to handle considering it was only used for fighters that just said fuck it and went to FMV till now.

In fact it was so modded that to get the 3d models to render well (since 3d for fighters was also fairly new territory bein perfected at that level) they needed to save on memory. To do this they didn't actually use maps...they only used shaders. Thats right...stuff like blinn or phong or lambert shaders that are just hex values that dictate a color and a few values that dictate light interaction. This bit made things being ported particularly tricky as it means you can't just lift and port the models unless you perfectly recreated the lighting engine itself but thanks to new specs this could result in the game speeding up or slowing down at random. On Dolphin many folks have to "shader cache" to cache all the possible shader values their characters have by first goin into training and performing all the moves a character has first so they wont lag later on when performed. Games like Metroid Prime were notorious for this issue and only recently have dolphin folks started using something that tries to pregenerate shader values into the cache at load time instead of at runtime to alleviate much of the load.

Its a clusterfuck honestly. TVC was built on an engine completely not designed to handle it and was modded a piece at a time till it worked. Didn't help it was originally setup for arcade as well and that factor of limitations also impacted the structuring of the modifications done to the engine on the home console's engine. I don't have a ton more specifics but from all developer accounts every piece of that engine is so damned unique to itself and setup to "work within that engine's logic only" that you would pretty well be better off just rebuilding all the models and consequentially the rigs/animations over again to place in another engine because the way rigs and such worked were hinted at being impacted by the engine rules as well in how the animation files were made for models in that game.

Your only hope if they did have an easy ok on the license bein used for a port would be for someone to have developed a perfect emulator for it. It was possible with the Wii U as it had the Wii as a partitioned OS running on it like a Virtual Machine for legacy titles but I'm not certain if Nintendo has gotten it on the switch. I wouldn't even begin to hold out for it to go to other consoles than Nintendo though if the route being taken is Wii emulation to play the same game as that would add a whole new layer of legalities involving Nintendo's folks.

TVC is still my favorite all time fighter and I am a lover of Hurricane Polymar due to it, but I don't hold out hope for it returning. I'm just glad the discord group is active, runs weekly tournies on dolphin, streams, has a youtube, and still shows up at Frosty Faustings every year for a tourney thats growing.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This

Representing Tatsunoko:

1. Joe the Condor (Gatchaman)
2. Yatterman #2
3. Shurato (from Shurato)
4. Soul Taker
5. Nakahara Komugi
6. Daikyojin (mecha of Yattodetaman, another Time Bokan series anime)
7. Berg Katse (enemy of Gatchaman)
8. Tekkaman Evil
9. Braiking Boss (enemy of Casshern)
10. JJ (Zillion)

Representing Capcom:

1. Leon
2. Nash (Charlie)
3. Date Masamune
4. Arthur
5. Ibuki
6. M. Bison
7. Lei-Lei/Hsein-Ko (from Darkstalkers)
8. Zero Gouki (Cyberbots mecha… who acts like Gouki)
9. Tiara Hime (from Gaia Masters, another Japan only, obscure Capcom game)
10. Nero
11. June
12. Rouge
13. Tyrant
14. Hinata Wakaba

plus

Capcom actually tried to get Speed Racer and Samurai Pizza Cats, apparently.
https://www.destructoid.com/samurai...er-almost-in-tatsunoko-vs-capcom-161208.phtml

this really hurts.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

Huh, first time seeing this.

Capcom side looks like a third boring choices and a third folks that ended up in Marvel 3. Nero, Rouge, and Hinata would've all been great though.

Tatsunoko side is really interesting, but it also brings up the question? How come Joe, Yatterman-2, and another Tekkaman character (not the exact one on the list, but same series) got taken off of the cut characters list and added into the revision, but none of the cut Capcom characters were?

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Still the only Capcom Versus game I've ever managed to get into. And I have zero familiarity with the Tatsunoko characters.
But that game looked so damn good... I just had to try it.

And it had a pretty great progression system, although it was probably by accident.
I tried so hard to get into the MvC games but never quite managed to get a decent understanding of how they worked. But with Tatsunoko... I started with the basic wiimote two buttons control setup. Then moved on to wiimote + nunchuck setup. And ultimately to the gamecube / classic controller setup. It was such a great way to learn the game.