• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the White House be required to hold press briefings?

• Yes. Daily.

Votes: 127 30.8%
  • Yes. Weekly.

Votes: 163 39.6%
  • Yes. Monthly.

Votes: 31 7.5%
  • No. I really like being dumb.

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • No. I don’t think it matters since they frequently lie.

Votes: 84 20.4%

• Total voters

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Monday, March 11th, was the last time the White House held an official press briefing. Stephanie Grisham, since becoming White House Press Secretary in July, has yet to ever hold a briefing. Although she has been regularly appearing on Fox News where the administration enjoys a safe space.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...-trump-will-decide-when-she-holds-first-press
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/11/media/stephanie-grisham-briefings-fox/index.html

The press being able to hold the White House to task during daily briefings is pretty integral for keeping Americans informed of what the government is actually doing and exposing policy holes. Press briefings were apparently another "gentlemen's agreement" that has been exposed when a pseudo-fascist is holding the Oval Office.

Should it be put into law that each White House administration is required to provide daily press briefings? I say, yes.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares its all a farce anyways. The only thing left to do at this point is vote (and then once that fails other stuff)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Who cares its all a farce anyways. The only thing left to do at this point is vote (and then once that fails other stuff)

"other stuff" won't work. The military is all about rank, discipline, following orders for a reason. Armies/militias work better that way.

That's also why police and military are rife with trumpers. The job attracts a certain kind of people. Right wing people are all about that "respect my authoritay" stuff.

Liberals are definitely not into that. That's why we have so few guns. That's why there are so few of us in the military and police.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
White House Press Briefings were a farce at best and blatant propaganda at worst. The one good point of the Trump administration is making everyone turn their back on them.

Also those poll options are really condescending.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Well it's either they hold the briefings and lie to our faces, or don't hold the briefings and lie to our faces

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bad last option. i don't want them because simply just watching the likes Spicer or Huckabee talk for more than four seconds is enough make you dumber

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't care, it would be one thing if they actually answered questions honestly. But the old briefing was basically a daily gaslighting session broadcast to the entire country.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
They're pointless because the white house only wants to talk to the "press" and not the press. Their job is not to circulate bullshit but ask questions...not softball pre-approved questions. Naturally, they cut the press out and the WH press secretary may as well be the hosts of Fox and Friends at this point. No one cares about a briefing where you have to waste precious hours of your day having to listen to a professional bullshitter.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'll take no press briefings over the sanctimonious Huckaliar. It would be nice to get some real back and forth over some questions though, instead of a few minutes here and there in front of a helicopter. And why are we the taxpayers paying $180K for press secretaries to not do the job? Remember when Obama would stand up there in the briefing room and talk with the press for over an hour?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Frankly, can't say I miss them. They stopped being a tool to hold the administration accountable long ago: by the end they were mere punditry "can you believe that happened!? can you believe she said that!?" fodder that didn't really matter, and that nobody cared about until something outrageous enough happened to be made fun of on SNL.

The only unfortunate thing is that press briefings ended because the administration shut them down, and not because the media in our country joined together and collectively refused to be used as propaganda tools which is what should have happened.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Spicer was taking Skype calls from lunatics out of their basement, asking "WHY AIN'T THE GOVERNMENT DESTROYED YET?"

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
If Stephanie Grisham's insufferable written statements are anything to go by, they can fucking keep them. I don't want to hear it verbalized.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
"245

TWO TERMS FOR TRUMP!"

-A MAGA douche, probably

EDIT: In terms of this Presidency I voted for the last option because yeah they just fucking lie, but in general I do think yes it's important and should probably be required. And I can't help but feel like (or maybe have read) part of the whole fascism thing involves wearing people out from all the fact-checking and calling out bullshit to the point where they just let things like this go and in turn it allows more egregious shit to happen since there's no communication with the populace/press.

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
as a j-grad, i understand the traditional importance of the 4th estate in a free democracy. but it's a nonsense waste of time with these morons

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Serial DUI offender and plagiarist gets paid $183k a year and all she does is scurry off to Fox News every morning.

Even though the WH shamelessly lies, press briefings are useful to get statements on record. As the dumpster fire rages, SHS lowered the frequency and eventually stopped holding them because the press started asking better questions and were coordinating follow up questions to predictable lies and evasive answers by SHS.

And for shit like this:

Carol Leonnig @CarolLeonnig

MORE NEWS: WH Counsel and WH Chief of staff at war during impeachment too. Pat Cipollone raised concerns about Mulvaney holding news briefing turned into a disaster, and President is fuming at the screw-up. Me w @ericawerner @jdawsey @rachaelmbadehttps://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2019

7:57 PM - Nov 11, 2019

OP
OP
Mahonay

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Even though the WH shamelessly lies, press briefings are useful to get statements on record. As the dumpster fire rages, SHS lowered the frequency and eventually stopped holding them because the press started asking better questions and were coordinating follow up questions to predictable lies and evasive answers by SHS.
Absolutely this. It has a lot more value than some realize. Getting it on record is important.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Yes they lie. Yes its important. Yes they should have to do it. Yes they should be fact checked in real time

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I, for one, remember the first Trump press briefing was spent trying to call the media liars for not saying he had a HUGE crowd at inauguration event.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I welcome any opportunity for this administration to embarrass itself, but they should not be required to hold briefings.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
as a j-grad, i understand the traditional importance of the 4th estate in a free democracy. but it's a nonsense waste of time with these morons
especially when those j-school grads never fight back, don't push back, and just lean back and let the fascism wash over them.

personally it's a point of responsible governance to have them and for the press to do their fucking jobs during, but with Trump and this current press class, whats teh goddamn point?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
especially when those j-school grads never fight back, don't push back, and just lean back and let the fascism wash over them.

personally it's a point of responsible governance to have them and for the press to do their fucking jobs during, but with Trump and this current class, whats teh goddamn point?
i hear ya. and there are actually a ton of journalists doing great work exposing this administration. the problem is that they're reporting to a country where literally tens of millions of people don't adhere to facts/logic/reality. and those people turn out and vote.

ultimately, it's tough to fight that inertia. they're the ones that would need to hear about this terrible admin, because everyone else doesn't need that convincing, but they don't/won't listen. so what the fuck can you do?

and it's not like people are completely apathetic. there are americans protesting/marching/etc everywhere in opposition to trump. almost every place he goes, from nyc to alabama, there are significant mass protests. but unless impeachment kicks him out, we're stuck waiting till next november to dispose this problem.

OP
OP
Mahonay

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I, for one, remember the first Trump press briefing was spent trying to call the media liars for not saying he had a HUGE crowd at inauguration event.
gettyimages-632322626_wide-4836c43cb29cc4805ec6d46e6bbfabce3d04be68-s800-c85.jpg

Definitely was a sign of things to come

Ayato_Kanzaki

Nov 22, 2017
bad last option. i don't want them because simply just watching the likes Spicer or Huckabee talk for more than four seconds is enough make you dumber

Sure, but the awareness that Spicer and Huckabee dread and hate the press briefings even more that we hate listening to them, and the SNL skits, made it worth it for me.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason they don't have them is because it'll just lead to more exposure. Look at Mulvaney going out and admitting to several crimes. That's each one.