• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yes, most people don't care about such aesthetics in the first place and it's probably not a problem in real life.

I haven't given this any thought myself until I got an iPhone XS. I got so used to this nice symmetrical screen that every time there is a new expensive Android flagship release I look at it and think "Yea, but you still weren't able to remove the chin".

iPhone X released in 2017, no chin:

iphonexdesign-800x669.jpg

Samsung phones still have a chin:

Samsung-Galaxy-S10-Prism-White-1-3x.jpg

As far as the internet explains, this has to do with the iPhone's OLED screen, which allows it to be curved at the bottom of the phone, so Apple doesn't need a chin to make room for the motherboard like other companies do.

main-qimg-e2828a26725bb22997175ef8f532599a

Plus, Apple seems to have patented this screen curving technology?

So removing the chin generally seems expensive and not profitable enough for other companies.

But still, one would think that after two years, developers would have come up with ways of their own to get rid of the chin.

It's a picky observation, but interesting nevertheless.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the 2017 iPhone just has fat edges, and the fucking notch.

Give me an extra milimeter on the bottom in exchange of the thick borders all around.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmfaaoooooo OMG that tiny little bit at the bottom is what you're talking about and not the massive notch at that top on the iPhone , idek fam

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this because of a patent that Apple filed that allows them exclusive rights to how they fold the OLED at the bottom of the device?
I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Edit: Just read in the OP, yeah. Ah well, doesn't make much difference, hope they work around the notch soon.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been so confused by a technology topic as by this one.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Notch plus pretty obvious bezel all around? At least Samsung achieved no bezel on two sides. The iPhone still has a bezel on all four plus the huge notch (even on the newest iteration).

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go again. So Apple invented and patented oled screen now ? Do OP even know who first use oled screen on a phone and who supply oled to Apple to use on the Iphone?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Talks about how symmetrical the iPhone is, doesnt realize the Galaxy S and Note are the ones that are actually symmetrical and dont have a big notch on the top.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I don't see how this is baffling. The chins on these other phones are so insanely small already and maybe only a few millimeters larger than the bottom bezel of the iPhone, if that. Also, most of these other phones have higher screen to body ratios.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Here we go again. So Apple invented and patented oled screen now ? Do OP even know who first use oled screen on a phone and who supply oled to Apple to use on the Iphone?
No I don't know. I just notice that almost every smartphone on the market today still has a chin. That is all. Not trying to offend anyone.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It makes more sense to keep a small chin at the bottom than a massive notch on top. A chin at the bottom pushes the keyboard up to your fingers more but the notch does nothing ergonomically.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
No I don't know. I just notice that almost every smartphone on the market today still has a chin. That is all. Not trying to offend anyone.
Probably no reason to remove it. If I had to find a problem with the two phones in your OP, I'd take issue with the weird thing at the top of the iphone. Why is that there?

the new green bubble
Never understood that, probably because barely anyone in Europe uses that app over Whatsapp. Weird artificial creation of borders between groups.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
imagine complaining about phones that have a single thin black line at the bottom but ignoring the fat notch right in the screen

arit

Oct 29, 2017
0hpBE2o.png

Did I fix it?

Or would the iphone also be broken, if if would have samsung's edge screen?
9WuAgPx.png

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh...the iphone X series isn't the epitome of design. If we're talking about tension, symmetry, positive/negative pace, and ergonomics, it's actually pretty mediocre to poor.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Note 10+ vs XS Max - chins look virtually the same size to me
144-samsung-galaxy-note-10-note-10-plus.jpg

OnePlus 7 Pro vs Galaxy S10+ vs iPhone XS Max - barely a difference in chin size
maxresdefault.jpg

I just don't see what's baffling about these. It's a sliver of bezel at the bottom on all of them.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
imagine complaining about phones that have a single thin black line at the bottom but ignoring the fat notch right in the screen
This OP was meant to discuss why developers haven't removed the chin yet. Because this is seriously surprising to me.

I would love to see someone with proper technical knowledge posting here instead of people making this a phone war.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
Current phones are all trash. Give me back my top bezel for the camera, and a chin for hardware button(s) (and no, the iPhone haptic "button" doesn't count).

I couldn't care less about the look, I want the functionality and non-ridiculous screen back. No notches, no cutouts, no pop up or slider cameras...just a bloody phone that works.

Oct 27, 2017
fat edges? My iPhone 8 Plus has fat edges, that is not fat

The thickness of that iPhone edges is the same as the Samsung's chin. In this case, you have the chin all the way around the screen instead of top/bottom only. The side-by-side picture makes it clear.

If you prefer that even-edge design, good, but I think the advantage of slimmer edges is simple: the phone maximizes the screen-space.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: driveby posting
This OP was meant to discuss why developers haven't removed the chin yet. Because this is seriously surprising to me.

I would love to see someone with proper technical knowledge posting here instead of people making this a phone war.
Because nobody gives a shit is why

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017

You're being fooled by the fact iPhone has fat edges on every side (edge to edge screen on the sides of the Samsung makes bottom more noticeable). You're also using what is probably a rendered photo and not an actual photo of a note10+. To me it doesn't look any bigger than the iPhone one in person.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe the edge-to-edge design requires the amount of engineering knowledge that nobody in ERA has. If someone knew how to make the perfect edge-to-edge design without compromising quality/price/durability, you would patent it and sell it to the phone companies.

What is edge-to-edge about it? As shown earlier in the thread the iPhone has the same "chin" the current Note has but all around the phone and with a big fat notch at the top.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not a development choice, it's a visual design choice. The bezels around the edge create an optical illusion to make the notch appear smaller.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Note 10+ vs XS Max - chins look virtually the same size to me
144-samsung-galaxy-note-10-note-10-plus.jpg

OnePlus 7 Pro vs Galaxy S10+ vs iPhone XS Max - barely a difference in chin size
maxresdefault.jpg

I just don't see what's baffling about these. It's a sliver of bezel at the bottom on all of them.

Yep, exactly. The iphone's pebble design already gives the screen thick bezels all around, so that nice touch of a "symmetrical" three sides doesn't really mean much.

On the other hand, samsung's invention of the curved sides enables it to hide its left/right bezels, and coupled with a hole punch camera, makes it appear like the more modern phone.

However I'm sure the massive blingy tri-camera setup on the rear will make sure people know that I can afford an expensive phone. And I'm a pro...