• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
So this movie just showed up on TV and I decided to watch it for what must be my 4th time now and was spurred on to make this topic after it ended.

As someone who was excited for Godzilla 2014 before it's arrival I don't think I was alone in being eager to see Bryan Cranston play a major role in the human-side of the film. The flashback moments and early on in the present with him are great with the only spoiling coming from the inclusion of the son character played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Dude just doesn't match up to what Cranston brings to the table not even really only acting wise but in regards to the script. The entire movie is further soiled once Cranston dies. The bland character that Taylor-Johnson plays is forced into a lead role and there seemingly is nothing to this dude on the page amplified by Taylor-Johnson's sandpaper dry performance. Hell it's possible to make a strong silent type character that is interesting but the character is given none of that depth.

It doesn't help that he genuinely feels so "inactive" during the film. He makes a conscious effort to help out the young boy and join the Anti-Muto forces but afterwards he essentially blends into the darkly lit mass of soldiers save to the end. To the point where they might as well have just made a Kaiju version of Battle LA

I know some will say "Why complain about the humans in a monster movie?" But my rebuttal would be that they shouldn't include a significant human cast if they don't want me to care about them.The film does succeed at giving some life to everyone around the MC but spared none for the MC himself.

Last edited:

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know some will say "Why complain about the humans in a monster movie?" But my rebuttal would be that they shouldn't include a significant human cast if they don't want me to care about them.The film does succeed at giving some life to everyone around the MC but spared none for the MC himself.

I hear this a lot as a defense for KotM, but the humans there are so much worse. They made me appreciate the MC of 2014 in retrospect.

But yeah so far the most interesting character in both Godzilla films I feel is Dr. Serizawa and he was never really given room to be more than a secondary character either time really and it sucks.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue with the second act of Godzilla 2014 is that there aren't enough monster fights to carry the movie, and once Cranston's character dies, the remaining human cast can't carry the movie either. The human characters don't really get much better into the third and final act, but the monster fights carry the movie from that point onward so...

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
The new protagonist after Cranston died was horrible. He was just cliche young white military guy with nurse wife and baby.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's astounding how much one choice makes a movie go from good/great to mediocre/bad. And it's not even hard to imagine how much better it would be if Cranston's character lived. Here's a quick plot I thought up just now:
  • Cranston and ATJ get separated when he otherwise would have died, both now think the other is dead.
  • ATJ continues as he does in the original film, only now he doesn't hog the running time because you can cut back to Cranston.
  • Cranston is hanging out with Ken Watanabe and the other Monarch goons (make up something about how he's studied this radiation more than anyone else to give him an excuse to stick around) so all of them get more screentime as well
  • Cranston is adamant that Godzilla needs to die because he thinks the Kaiju killed his wife and son, but Watanabe keeps arguing that Godzilla is the only way that humans get out of this alive, which would lead to some pretty good dramatic scenes as they argue at each other.
  • Everyone gets reunited in the end and Cranston can go on to improve KOTM if he wants the paycheck
Done. I thought that up in 1 min tops. Add some better monster fights and you're looking at movie that's at the very least more interesting than what we got.

OP
OP
EdibleKnife

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I hear this a lot as a defense for KotM, but the humans there are so much worse. They made me appreciate the MC of 2014 in retrospect.

But yeah so far the most interesting character in both Godzilla films I feel is Dr. Serizawa and he was never really given room to be more than a secondary character either time really and it sucks.
The biggest issue with the second act of Godzilla 2014 is that there aren't enough monster fights to carry the movie, and once Cranston's character dies, the remaining human cast can't carry the movie either. The human characters don't really get much better into the third and final act, but the monster fights carry the movie from that point onward so...
To me Kong Skull Island succeeds so much where Godzilla 2014 fails by having so many more characters that really pop. The monster fights were great in it, often even better than some of those we got in Godzilla. But little in those moments between felt slow or mind numbingly dull because of better ensemble character writing. None are perfect but that extra effort to make the audience care about the things happening when Kong wasn't on screen went a long way.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's astounding how much one choice makes a movie go from good/great to mediocre/bad. And it's not even hard to imagine how much better it would be if Cranston's character lived. Here's a quick plot I thought up just now:
  • Cranston and ATJ get separated when he otherwise would have died, both now think the other is dead.
  • ATJ continues as he does in the original film, only now he doesn't hog the running time because you can cut back to Cranston.
  • Cranston is hanging out with Ken Watanabe and the other Monarch goons (make up something about how he's studied this radiation more than anyone else to give him an excuse to stick around) so all of them get more screentime as well
  • Cranston is adamant that Godzilla needs to die because he thinks the Kaiju killed his wife and son, but Watanabe keeps arguing that Godzilla is the only way that humans get out of this alive, which would lead to some pretty good dramatic scenes as they argue at each other.
  • Everyone gets reunited in the end and Cranston can go on to improve KOTM if he wants the paycheck
Done. I thought that up in 1 min tops. Add some better monster fights and you're looking at movie that's at the very least more interesting than what we got.

I think the monster fights in 2014 were done well enough. They were paced in a way that it built up tension and had an amazing finale as a result. But yeah thats a better plot. Hell, kill off ATJ and just have Cranston take the lead with Watanabe.

To me Kong Skull Island succeeds so much where Godzilla 2014 fails by having so many more characters that really pop. The monster fights were great in it, often even better than some of those we got in Godzilla. But little in those moments between felt slow or mind numbingly dull because of better ensemble character writing. None are perfect but that extra effort to make the audience care about the things happening when Kong wasn't on screen went a long way.

I agree. The only thing I wasn't sold on in Kong was the skull cracker (eater?) whatever its called. Its a kind of lame design and I wished we had gotten something a little more interesting. Same with the MUTOs too. Theyre not that interesting to look at overall.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf he was pretty jacked OP

In all seriousness, I'd take him a thousand times over Tom Hiddleston trying really hard and failing to be an action star in Kong, or any human in KOTM

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf he was pretty jacked OP

In all seriousness, I'd take him a thousand times over Tom Hiddleston trying really hard and failing to be an action star in Kong, or any human in KOTM

Are you telling me you didn't like Tom Hiddleston with a katana slicing up little dagger pterodactyls? How dare you sir.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Because it's always like 70% of the movie and usually horrible. I hate this defense.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I kid lol

But yeah, there were some issues in that film but I feel like it was definitely pretty solid overall. The cast as a whole I feel was stronger than either Godzilla film.
I know ahah

and I do agree, the supporting cast was solid in Kong, wish Kebbell got more screen time though. Both films casts are well ahead of KoTM

OP
OP
EdibleKnife

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Because it's always like 70% of the movie and usually horrible. I hate this defense.
Thinking on it, I genuinely think it's possible to create an entertaining bit of Kaiju fiction with the monsters being the sole perspective characters. It'd be challenging but not impossible and a good excercise for creators like the peeps behind Godzilla 2014 who can't seem to help but rely on milquetoast human characters for the sake of padding out their work.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on it, I genuinely think it's possible to create an entertaining bit of Kaiju fiction with the monsters being the sole perspective characters. It'd be challenging but not impossible and a good excercise for creators like the peeps behind Godzilla 2014 who can't seem to help but rely on milquetoast human characters for the sake of padding out their work.

Have you seen KotM yet OP?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

this would be my dream Kaiju movie.

I need to rewatch Cloverfield, but I remember loving the claustrophobic perspective of humans trying to navigate around a city during an attack. I would like the total opposite of that in every sense.

It could work with the right director.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really not a fan of that actor along with the Olsen girl, was super unhappy about both of them appearing only a year later in Avengers: Age of Ultron also after almost ruining Godzilla.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't actually with peoples' harsh critiques of everything involving the humans holding me back from pulling the trigger on watching it lol

If you can watch it for free, I say watch it. You will retroactively consider ATJ a much better character. Its like they took him and then made 4-5 characters that were so much worse than him. And then as a huge Godzilla fan (I dont know if you are, and even if you are you might not feel the same)it has this hugely added trash bonus of them just shoving in references and fan service with no regard to the narrative or the origin of the reference. At times it reminded me of kids arguing about which character is better and just pulling out obscure bullshit to bolster their argument.

OP
OP
EdibleKnife

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm really not a fan of that actor along with the Olsen girl, was super unhappy about both of them appearing only a year later in Avengers: Age of Ultron also after almost ruining Godzilla.
Funnily enough, Ultron was the only recent thing I've liked ATJ in and still would say killing him off was one of the Top 5 mistakes of the MCU. I genuinely liked him as Quicksilver and his dynamic with Olsen in the movie.

If you can watch it for free, I say watch it. You will retroactively consider ATJ a much better character. Its like they took him and then made 4-5 characters that were so much worse than him. And then as a huge Godzilla fan (I dont know if you are, and even if you are you might not feel the same)it has this hugely added trash bonus of them just shoving in references and fan service with no regard to the narrative or the origin of the reference. At times it reminded me of kids arguing about which character is better and just pulling out obscure bullshit to bolster their argument.
Oh I've heard as much. I'm only a recently minted Kaiju fan but a fan nonetheless. Actually choose to watch Shin Godzilla instead of KotM around that release just because of how badly the non-monster stuff was recieved. I'll definitely give it a watch this week to see the fights if nothing else.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, Ultron was the only recent thing I've liked ATJ in and still would say killing him off was one of the Top 5 mistakes of the MCU. I genuinely liked him as Quicksilver and his dynamic with Olsen in the movie.

Oh I've heard as much. I'm only a recently minted Kaiju fan but a fan nonetheless. Actually choose to watch Shin Godzilla instead of KotM around that release just because of how badly the non-monster stuff was recieved. I'll definitely give it a watch this week to see the fights if nothing else.

Welcome to the club and good choice! Shin is probably my favorite Godzilla related thing to come about in recent years. Oh also stay away from the Godzilla anime series on Netflix, its not worth it. I promise.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA

Why we didn't get an airport fight scene I'll never understand.

freshVeggie

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't hear good things about Godzilla 2014, so I never watched it.
On a whim I watched the sequel and really enjoyed. Even if it was a bit uninspired characters-wise.
So I watched GZ14 afterwards and wow! It's awesome. Pacing, characters, more grounded and the action. Even better than king if monsters.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really enjoyed 2014 and am not surprised Edwards went on to direct the best Star Wars film since Empire. The halo sequence alone signalled the arrival of a new talent:

godzilla-trailer-7.png

... but yeah ATJ was a piece of wood. And though I haven't seen it in a while I recall him being much better in Kick Ass, so that would suggest Edwards has a ways to go in extracting performances from actors. I'm sure Cranston just serves it up on a plate at this point (though Elizabeth Olsen is really compelling in this as well... hmmm)

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would love that

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think Gareth Edwards might just be bad with actors. Rogue One and Godzilla both had awful human characters and some surprisingly bad performances.

Aaron Taylor Johnson was incredible in Nocturnal Animals.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not every woman needs to have big boobs, that's not how we value women anymore! Shameful OP

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
once i realized Kickass and the Olsen not-twin were carrying the movie i was like "oh fuck, they're really going there aren't they"

Nov 1, 2017
Cranston's character dying was such a waste, he was actually someone the viewer could invest in and did. The soldier guy we got stuck with despite the connection was such a black hole. Definitely miscast or maybe the entire role was shit to begin with.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You are only supposed to look at the amazing artwork. There is hardly anything to read. That is why I immediately imagined the David Attenborough voice describing everything.
That's fair. I think that's why I was over it so quickly. Especially after rulers of the earth had just finished up.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Kotm was so bad. While I was super excited about Godzilla, great trailers, and awesome poster, the film was ok.

might actually like the characters in Godzilla, more than the ones in kotm aside from Watanabe, and Sally Hawkins. Straitharn didn't get much screen time iirc.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The director made Monsters before that, and even though everyone praised the movie for how expensive it looked for its budget I thought the 2 main characters were paper thin. It's the only Scoot Mcnairy performance I've seen that I didn't like.