• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Hmmm... it would've been:

- Banjo-Kazooie
- Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout
- Ghostbusters on Sega Genesis
- Final Fantasy II

My brother would buy the big games for N64 and PSX so I would rent either the ones he wasn't interested in or rent games for the 16-bit systems. Either that or I would rent a horror movie or an anime.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I remember me and my dad driving around my town looking for a copy of Mortal Kombat 3 to rent on Mega Drive around then.

We must have signed up for a dozen rental stores that day, apart from one where the owner inexplicably demanded to see my dad's gas bill before he'd let us join (he wouldn't accept a driving licence as proof of ID).

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Can we get a list of games op? Im Too lazy to search. Not sure what I'd rent. Something that looked good. RPG, or ninjas.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
1998 I had traded my 64 for a ps1, I remember renting and playing the shit out of this

Tenchu_Stealth_Assassins.jpg

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Resident Evil 2.

The Blockbuster I used to go to had a setup with the Pizza place next door on Fridays and Saturdays where if you rented at least three games, you got 50% off a large pie at the pizza place if you brought your receipt over. I pretty much associate RE2 with Friday nights and pizza because of that, lol.

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I made horrible picks when I got to rent games - Quest 64, Reboot, and Glover were ones I remember I didn't like around that time. I did end up renting Timesplitters 2 once though, so they weren't all bad picks.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
In 98 I was 16 so it would be a sports game. This time of year it would've been Madden or a wrestling game.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Me and my friends would throwing down with some WCW vs NWO Revenge. Some of the best local multiplayer ever. Arguments were had, controllers were thrown and legends were made.

515KMDFPWDL._AC_.jpg

NimbleFailingGander-small.gif
Preach.

This game rivaled Goldeneye for 4 player goodness, just beating people down over and over with inanimate objects that refuse to submit.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Probably Jupiter Strike, Fighting Force, or some other terrible PS1 game...

Or just Metal Gear Solid for the tenth time.

This topic takes me back, man. The smell of blockbuster hit you in the face. You knew it was the weekend...

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I remember renting Broken Sword loads of times!

Looking back now at games released in 1997/1998 is absolutely insane. We had Final Fantasy 7, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Half-Life, Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid... the list is endless!

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Grandia. I used to rent it almost every Friday to the point the workers would hold the copy for me lol It's not like our local had much choice anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
Not quite 98, but in 2000 I rented Majora's mask so that I could get the expansion pak to play my own copy of DK64 at home (I did not currently have the expansion pak). Must have done it at least 3 weekends before I actually got MM and a pak of my own!

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Grim Fandango baby!
(Although it took me months to finish due to the difficult puzzles back in the day lol)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't rent that many games but the games I do remember renting Southpark, Southpark Rally, Rayman and Pandamonium for the computer.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I envy folks who had good opportunities for game rentals.

Growing up I had a local, independent video store in walking distance from my house. Their game section was pretty small. I rented Super Smash Bros over and over and only ever gave it back when someone was on the wait list. Eventually I rented Paper Mario, which I loved, but couldn't finish in time before I had to return it. By the time I was able to rent it again, my save was deleted. I remember another time when both of these games were spoken for I rented Yoshi's Story. I remember thinking it was very weird and offputting. Eventually the business closed and sold all their movies and games for $1 and I didn't get any of them in time.

When we moved, there was a regional chain in town with the worst selection imaginable. Video stores were already on the downturn and this chain routinely ran sales where you could buy their inventory outright, but they didn't have a system to make sure they had at least one of something left over. So if you wanted to rent The Lord of the Rings the only DVD they had left was The Two Towers. If you wanted Pirates of the Caribbean, too bad. They only had the third one. Their game section was pitiful and was almost exclusively sports games.

Jun 20, 2018
How hypothetical is this? After a couple of years of owning that Saturn and being very jealous of the Playstation library, I'd got a PC for Christmas 97, and a 3D graphics card for Christmas 98 so was all in on PC and rentals were not a thing.

In a reality where I'd picked the Playstation and stuck with consoles (and I was in the US), then I'd have been all over Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Seeing as I worked at a Blockbuster that was just 2 blocks away from the house I lived in with friends and another friends house in 1998, whenever I wasn't working there we'd take advantage of the tiny employee discount I had to rent a pile of movies and a game every three days and flip between watching those movies and playing that game at our place or the other house.

We watched a HELL of a lot of movies and played a hell of a lot of N64 games that way - in 1998, we were probably playing Banjo Kazooie, F-Zero X, Iggy's Wreckin' Balls and Rogue Squadron.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
If you're walking in on Friday night, you aren't renting anything... all the games that are worth a damn have been rented already. Thursday night/Friday morning was the move.

Probably some PSX game like RE1/RE2.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
9NCNdkJ.jpg

It's a year late, but I guess this was my pick when I was a kid.
No idea how I got this. Honestly, I have no idea where half the games I played as a kid came from, don't remember getting them from my parents or anything, they were just there.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I was 18 and I'd moved away from consoles on to PC gaming at that point. Brilliant year for PC gaming though.

Half-Life
Star Craft
Baldurs Gate
Unreal
Sin
Rainbow six
Motocross Madness!

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018

It's 1998. It's Friday night and you just walked into Blockbuster to rent a game for the weekend. What game catches your eye?

shia labeouf

On topic?
Uh, I didn't really rent games, the last game I rented was Yoshi's Cookie, so we'll go with that one.

Last edited:

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I rarely got to rent games from blockbuster as it was just a pain in the arse for my mum to return them. BUT one of the only games I ever rented was in 1998/99 and it was Resident Evil 2.

My 10/11 year old played it for 1 hour, shit his pants and had nightmares for the rest of the week.

Pretty soon after that I got my PS1 chipped and just bought games from the guy down the street for £5 each! Thank you Council Pirate!

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The good games were always gone, so I always ended up with Superman 64. I don't really miss this aspect of 90s gaming.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
iu

Fell head-over-heels for cooperative gaming with this one. Saw the packaging, Dad says, "Oh yeah, mom has read some of this guy's books."

Raven Shield was peak R6 though.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for the second time.

Because the first time you rented it last year... you beat it in 2 hours and thought it was lame. Only later, from friends on the school bus, did you learn about the inverted castle.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Shining Force III, but I need a tone of time. And I would've had the best time of my life.

220px-Shining_Force_III_cover.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be 3 years old, confused why I'm in a foreign country and probably would cry for my mom. lol
To be on topic: probably Spyro the dragon or Disney's Hercules on the Playstation.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like I'm renting motor toon racing again for ps1. First I gotta look at all the cool n64 games I can't play. N64 box art always looked so much fun at blockbuster compared to my ps1 boxes. 8 year old me actually wanted n64, idk why I went with ps1

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
All those Disney Saturday Morning Cartoon games: Chip n Dale, DArkwing Duck etc. Final Fantasy II for the SNES. Comix Zone for Genesis. Tom and Jerry for the SNES.

So many awesome memories.

sladeums

Jun 12, 2019
Omaha, NE
I rent an old copy of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals and end up being unable to ever rent at that store again because my wife won't let us return it until she completes the Ancient Cave

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid. I'm in 6th grade and my Gym teacher told me all about it. It's CRAZY that it's available to rent, so I can't pass this up.. But I don't even own a Playstation, so I'm renting it and then begging my older cousin to borrow his. He'll finally say yes, but he's not much of a gamer and doesn't even own a memory card. So I'll have to play through MGS without saving. Also, I'll get stuck at the Sniper Wolf part and have to look my Gym teacher up in the phone book and call him at 9PM for the tip on how to proceed.

True story.. lol

He was pissed, but he told me what to do.

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Stadium, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Yoshi's Story, and Diddy Kong Racing. I rented those frequently in 1998.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Pokemon Stadium, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 64, Yoshi's Story, and Diddy Kong Racing. I rented those frequently in 1998.
Yikes. You want to know something very sad? I owned a lot of those games and know exactly what you're talking about. This is a retro thread and somehow I'm the target audience ;(