• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
What game catches your eye? Is it the cover that sells it? Or did something on the back of the box convince you? Or perhaps you knew about beforehand, arriving in pursuit of a specific game...

I was ten in 98. I should have rented Metal Gear Solid but I was high on JRPG fumes back then and didn't think that "army game" looked cool.

My answer is Parasite Eve. My best friend at the time had been talking about it at school nonstop, so, naturally, I was curious. Still one of my favorite games to this day, and also still a wholly unique game in my opinion. A survival horror RPG hybrid, that's a sequel to a Japanese sci-fi novel, that's also made by Squaresoft in its prime. Now that's a killer cocktail.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Drive-by thread derailment; long history of similar behaviour
There were barely any good games made before 2000, so probably nothing. Maybe some crappy N64 game.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident-Evil-2-Nintendo-64-N64-Cleaned.jpg

I'll rent this so I have access to all of the content already.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I was pretty obsessed with game magazines in the 90s, so I had a good sense of what was reviewing well, and which ones were garbage to avoid.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I was getting most of my gaming news from magazines by then, so covers weren't really making me pick up games at that point. I think the big think back then was hoping that whatever you rented actually played since it seemed damn near impossible to rent a game that didn't looking like someone intentionally scratched the back of the disc severely.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
In 1998 we were in a true golden era of gaming. Tekken 3 or Xenogears probably. Toppest top tier.

Nov 4, 2017
Metal Gear Solid. Then having to bruteforce through every codex frequency to be able to save, because the assholes at VideoEzy didn't copy the back of the CD case.

Edit: no it was Meryl on the CD case, not Mei Ling.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 27. I'm reading NextGen and EGM. Maybe... Play? GMR? My kids are babies and my brothers-in-laws ask me for game recommendations lol

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
In '98? That'd probably be N64 with Mario64 and/or Banjo Kazooie. Good times.

I remember renting Yoshis Story as well. Times.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Who grabbed all the quarters in your home to RUN down the street to rent a game in 1988?

That's right, you young whippersnappers. 1988.

The game could have been anything. It didn't matter.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
1998 I didn't have my N64 until Christmas that year, so I guess I'd be playing on SNES and Genesis still... hell I don't even know what I would've picked up.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Well, assuming its January 1998 as its January now, I'd only be able to rent ps1 games as I didn't have an N64 at this point. Probably would have rented something like NFS 2, Resident Evil, Jumping Flash 2, Jet Moto 2, or something like that.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Crash Bandicoot. But I didn't play it in 1998, more like in 2003. In 1998 I was 6 and we were too poor for videogames, there wasn't even a blockbuster in my town lol

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I looked at the big games that released in 97 and 98 and I remember owning more of these games. I guess my brother and I really cleaned up with odd jobs to buy what we wanted.
I do remember renting a few at that time like Diddy Kong racing and Bushido Blade

Oct 28, 2017
In 1998 I distinctly remember renting the original Tomb Raider from Blockbuster. It was the very first 3D game I ever played that wasn't Bubsy 3D. I got up to Lost Valley in the rental period then made sure the full game was bought as it was incredible.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
Also a new avid magazine reader at the time and early internet. Wasn't it n64.com? The one that later became IGN? I also remember a fan site about Symphony of the Night that sold me on a PS1. I lived in an ultra rural area so Blockbuster came about 20 minutes away and around 2000 so at this point it was West Coast Video. I rented more PS1 games than any console in my life due to the uh...backuppable nature of the format. So yes, magazines and internet let me know what all was what before going to a rental place.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Would have been Final Fantasy VIII. Game rentals in the 90s were awesome, particularly in cartridge days when games were much more expensive. I only owned a couple games that I got from birthdays or Christmas back then. I played any number of games I never would have otherwise thanks to rentals.