• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
GranularWarmBumblebee-small.gif
Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring Ring. Bananaphone!

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding the sound that is being put near your ears is being reconstructed only in those areas, everything else is just a bunch of nothin which is why others wouldn't be able to hear it.
Does this mean that if you stand between the device and the intended target, you can intercept the sound?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Remember that one U.S. Cuban embassy incident where everyone working there practically had their brains melted from a far distance from a device that works similar to this?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Does this mean that if you stand between the device and the intended target, you can intercept the sound?

It's ultrasound in transit, meaning it won't be audible if you mean "intercept" in that sense, though you can generally block ultrasound with solid objects, yes.

So, just some basic acoustics for everyone's benefit:

When sound waves overlap one another in space, there's three things that can happen based on their amplitude, frequency, and phase:

1. They pass through each other with little to no contact, existing in the same space simultaneously.
2. They collide with each other in a way that distorts and generally weakens both waves (destructive interference).
3. They combine with each other in a way that amplifies the sound wave in question (constructive interference).

Ultrasound is normally inaudible to humans but by projecting multiple sources of ultrasound into the same point in space, you can cause the sound waves to overlap and create an audible sound through interference patterns in the waves. This isn't really a "beam" (ultrasound is still a soundwave, it's just a much smaller wave due to its extremely high frequency), it's just a soundwave that only becomes audible to humans at a point in space other than where the sound was originally generated.

This entire system is also probably very obnoxious to dogs.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
www.nytimes.com

Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of U.S. Embassy Workers (Published 2018)

Doctors and scientists say microwave strikes may have caused sonic delusions and very real brain damage among embassy staff and family members.

There's been dozens of reports and research teams that debunked the use of "weaponry" and another team in China that deduced that it was caused by the accidental placement of both an ultrasonic emitter and ultrasonic jammer in the same area. But there's also a few scientists that think foul play was involved but I'm not about to start googling conspiracy theories for source links.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I would love this. I like listening to music during quiet hours in my apartment, but the wireless sennheiser phones I'm using sometimes just lose the signal for a second or so, very annoying. These sound like they wouldn't really have the same problem

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks fam, the last thing I need is someone hacking never gonna give you up in my brain at 4am.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
but it's not going INTO your head, just bubbles next to your hears. I mean if you could make 2 high pressure giant bubbles you could probably do it, but we are a LONG ways away from that
Again, it's not actually making the sound "inside your head", it's not generating pressure waves inside of your skull. That's just terrible reporting.

As far as I'm aware, it's just bouncing ultrasonic waves (which you can't hear) off each other and using the constructive interference to combine them into an audible soundwave, but only in the specific point in 3D space where the waves overlap exactly. The sound it generates is, at that point, a completely normal soundwave that you hear with your normal human ears.

You won't be able to hear it if your ears don't work. It won't bypass earplugs. It's not special at all. At the point where it's converted from ultrasound to audible soundwaves, it's literally just normal sound. The only thing that makes it in any way novel is that the constructive interference can be limited to only occur in a limited area of 3D space.
I mean, you don't need to, right? Even with just regular sound, you can hurt someone by just cranking the volume up past a certain dB threshold. So imagine the same thing, but focused on a single target.

Oct 25, 2017
Might be cool, but audio transplant is too scary. When audio blasts too loud just because of inevitable software bugs I instinctively takes the headphones off. even Apple can't get lose of all the bugs with AirPods

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean for positional audio? I hate music mixed in 5.1. Stereo is the way to go.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
American evangelicals just invested billions.

"If you pray hard, you can hear the voice of God speaking just to you!!!!"
".... give them more money..."

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I'm being flippant, I don't fully understand the tech behind it. But what would be preventing anyone from sending a noise directly to your ears? Beaming, audio pockets, or otherwise?
Facial recognition mostly, if you turned sideways even you'd only get 1 ear off audio.

Like I'm not saying this tech can't be used for bad thing, because it already has, this is using the tech in a cool way that doesn't involve war tactics

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Facial recognition mostly, if you turned sideways even you'd only get 1 ear off audio.

Like I'm not saying this tech can't be used for bad thing, because it already has, this is using the tech in a cool way that doesn't involve war tactics
Ok. In that case, I stand by my point. Like, oh don't worry, you can just turn sideways and only hear it in one ear? Yeah, I hope that this is not utilized by advertisers or other more nefarious users.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
If this bypasses the eardrum I wonder if it will be useful for people who are partially deaf. Would make a nice alternative to cochlea implants.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If this could eventually get to the point where it can be done by a smartphone with no extra hardware that would be a pretty neat replacement for headphones.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Now I can have "IIIITTTSSSS CCCHHHRRRIIISSSTTTMMMAAASSS!!!!!" Beamed directly into my head as soon as I enter the supermarket. Headphones be damned.