• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would try it. Looks like it uses head tracking and some audio fuckery to create a bubble of audio only you can hear, rather than actually beaming anything into your head.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This will be horrible for humanity if we don't get some laws in place to ban advertisements using this

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
For those of you who did not read the article at all

The technology uses a 3-D sensing module and locates and tracks the ear position sending audio via ultrasonic waves to create sound pockets by the user's ears. Sound can be heard in stereo or a spatial 3-D mode that creates 360 degree sound around the listener, the company said.

It's really just the next gen of speakers, nothing more

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I really don't see how this isn't anything more than isolated speakers.
Everyone seems to think they're going to install a hundred of these things and single out a person at a time for isolated, customized advertisements.

The reality is that the technology probably isn't anywhere close to a level where it could actually track you walking down the street and is frankly more expensive than just playing something over a basic speaker for everyone to hear. Cost/reward just doesn't make this worth it right now if ever.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_norm4sjLoR1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to think they're going to install a hundred of these things and single out a person at a time for isolated, customized advertisements.

The reality is that the technology probably isn't anywhere close to a level where it could actually track you walking down the street and is frankly more expensive than just playing something over a basic speaker for everyone to hear. Cost/reward just doesn't make this worth it right now if ever.
Yup, only thing it will be useful for is home entertainment setups. Would be wild having this kind of thing in a controller or handheld device though too!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely will not be used in the future to torture, brainwash or drive people insane.
It's just really fancy speakers people, it isn't beaming into your head, it's creating audio pockets and using head tracking. It would be like putting headphones on someone, but without the headphones.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
and you can cover your face to stop head tracking. Hell covering your ears would probably prevent the sound bubble.
Based on the description, you can just turn your head instead. Seems easier than headphones actually...
I can see it now. 30 years from now, walking down the street shaking my head left and right over and over again, looking like a mad man because every other store has their own beaming tech lol

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Can't wait to be in a meeting at work and watch half of the room chuckle randomly while the other half go "You're laughing at his wig, aren't you"

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It sends ultrasonic waves to your ears. My question is does this device have to be on you to work? If not you could probably drive someone insane by using this on them.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
This isn't really new technology, just new engineering. It's cool and all, but being wildly overblown, here.

It's not "in your head", it's still normal sound, it's just being created through constructive interference of sound waves in an extremely specific location that makes it nearly inaudible at distance. It's likely to be mostly a novelty since I can't imagine the audio quality is that (consistently) good.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Sound comprises pressure waves.

Again, it's not actually making the sound "inside your head", it's not generating pressure waves inside of your skull. That's just terrible reporting.

As far as I'm aware, it's just bouncing ultrasonic waves (which you can't hear) off each other and using the constructive interference to combine them into an audible soundwave, but only in the specific point in 3D space where the waves overlap exactly. The sound it generates is, at that point, a completely normal soundwave that you hear with your normal human ears.

You won't be able to hear it if your ears don't work. It won't bypass earplugs. It's not special at all. At the point where it's converted from ultrasound to audible soundwaves, it's literally just normal sound. The only thing that makes it in any way novel is that the constructive interference can be limited to only occur in a limited area of 3D space.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be amazing for alarm clocks in the morning. Waking up without disturbing your significant other!

Jun 19, 2020
Walk through city:
Voice in your head SHOP NOW AT S-MART - WE HAVE THE BEST PRICES IN TOWN. 3 meter away: COME TO BURGER KING HAVE IT YOUR WAY.

No thank you.

Oct 29, 2017
Would this work for deaf people? I imagine it would?

Also it sounds like now Project Blue Beam is in full swing!
sarcasm