• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LONDON (AP) — Imagine a world where you move around in your own personal sound bubble. You listen to your favorite tunes, play loud computer games, watch a movie or get navigation directions in your car — all without disturbing those around you.

That's the possibility presented by "sound beaming," a new futuristic audio technology from Noveto Systems, an Israeli company. On Friday it will debut a desktop device that beams sound directly to a listener without the need for headphones.

The company provided The Associated Press with an exclusive demo of the desktop prototype of its SoundBeamer 1.0 before its launch Friday.

Noveto expects the device will have plenty of practical uses, from allowing office workers to listen to music or conference calls without interrupting colleagues to letting someone play a game, movie or music without disturbing their significant others.

The lack of headphones means it's possible to hear other sounds in the room clearly.

The technology uses a 3-D sensing module and locates and tracks the ear position sending audio via ultrasonic waves to create sound pockets by the user's ears. Sound can be heard in stereo or a spatial 3-D mode that creates 360 degree sound around the listener, the company said.

More at:
apnews.com

New device puts music in your head — no headphones required

LONDON (AP) — Imagine a world where you move around in your own personal sound bubble. You listen to your favorite tunes, play loud computer games, watch a movie or get navigation directions in your car — all without disturbing those around you.

Watch some videos without waking up your sister if old

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
BetterDisgustingGlobefish-max-1mb.gif

Oct 31, 2017

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Surely no one will use this for bad reasons, none at all. The NSA has their dirty spying hands everywhere, so I could see them using this.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Cool. Can't wait to hear exactly what it sounds like in a store. I assume the quality would be "meh" and much worse than quality headphones. The article says the AP thought it was scifi so that's somewhat encouraging.

We shall see.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
I thought this was a thing for a long time now? The directed sound beams vibrate your skull hence you are able to hear things while no one else does?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Why? This is a known phenomenon of sound. It's similar to the idea of whispering across a room due to acoustics. The difference being that the "acoustics" in this scenario is just technological wizardry instead. Same or very similar technology to existing noise cancellation just in reverse from the typical method.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I thought this was a thing for a long time now? The directed sound beams vibrate your skull hence you are able to hear things while no one else does?
Actually, this appears to be a version of noise cancellation rather than a direct interface like that. Those methods (unless I've missed something) still require a set of "headphones". This is a device that is attached to the computer and not the person listening...which means this isn't effective with a handheld device.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Might be a stupid question, but would this work with people who are deaf or hard of hearing..?
No, this is still sound waves, just cancelled out for everyone put the listener.
I wonder if you could use these to listen to music under earplugs in a work setting.
No, the ear is still required. You would need to look at a bone transmission system for that. I've seen sunglasses with that functionality.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine using this to fuck with people making them hear noises and think they are going crazy/look crazy.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to prank the kid with this

"Little girl, this is Santa...you'd better shape up or you're getting coal this year!"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait until this is weaponized by right-wingers to spread their ideology to people who don't want to hear it.

Oh wait, did I say I can't wait? I mean I'm fucking dreading it.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Was it? It's the first time I read anything about it
This is probably the last time I heard of this.

A Voice Only You Can Hear: DARPA's Sonic Projector

Imagine a weapon that creates sound that only you can hear. Science fiction? No, this is one area that has a very solid basis in reality. The Air Force has experimented with microwaves that create sounds in people’s head (which they’ve called a possible psychological warfare tool), and American...

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
Immediately after reading the thread title, I thought of the brain vision news from the Bart to the Future episode. Somehow the catchy phrase from Kent Brockman got stuck in my head:

Kent Brockman said:
From around the globe to your frontal lobe. This is BrainVision news.