• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Israel blocked Covid vaccines from entering Gaza, say Palestinians

Sputnik V doses were intended for ICU staff, says Palestinian Authority. Israeli security source says decision is pending

Palestinian officials have accused Israel of preventing a vital first shipment of 2,000 coronavirus vaccines intended for frontline health workers from entering the blockaded Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian Authority said a planned transfer of Russian Sputnik V vaccine doses to the coastal enclave, which is geographically disconnected from the West Bank where the authority is headquartered, was blocked on Monday at an Israeli checkpoint.

"[T]he occupation authorities prevented their entry," the authority's health minister, Mai al-Kaila, said in a statement. "These doses were intended for medical staff working in intensive care rooms designated for Covid-19 patients, and for staff working in emergency departments."

The source said representatives from the authority had turned up at a West Bank crossing south of Ramallah with the vaccines on Monday but were not allowed to pass as the "request is still being processed".

The source said: "This is still being reviewed. It's not that there was a rejection by Israel. The claim that we denied the vaccines [to Gaza] is not true."

The Guardian has contacted the Israeli prime minister's office for comment.

Israel captured the West Bank from Jordanian troops in a 1967 war and its forces have remained there since. It took the Gaza Strip in the same conflict, although its military pulled out in 2005.

In coordination with Egypt, Israel maintains a strict blockade on Gaza, where the Islamist militant group Hamas rules over roughly 2 million people. Hamas seized control of Gaza from the Palestinian Authority in 2007, but they cooperate on several issues, including healthcare.

Debating on Monday, some Israeli lawmakers said the government should only allow vaccines into Gaza in return for concessions from Hamas. The foreign affairs and defence committee chairman, Zvi Hauser, said he wanted to know if Israel would demand the release of two captive Israelis and retrieve the remains of two Israeli soldiers being held by Hamas, "or at least ask for information about them".

Wow at the demanding concessions from hamas in return for vaccines.

Oct 27, 2017
"Palestinians are responsible for their own vaccines!!!"

"Not like that!!"

For real though, this is predictable. Israel controls everything going in and out and you'd be a fool not to expect fuckery there.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking inhumane...

What's worse is people are just desensitized to shit like this now involving israel and palestine.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Frankly, I'm surprised Israel didn't wantonly and willfully infect the entire Palestinian population with COVID-19. Or other viruses/plagues, for that matter.

Oct 27, 2017
Frankly, I'm surprised Israel didn't wantonly and willfully infect the entire Palestinian population with COVID-19. Or other viruses/plagues, for that matter.
They kinda did. When the pandemic started they opened the borders and anybody who wanted to visit Israel could do that with ease. Usually you needed to be accepted into Israel and that was really hard.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Debating on Monday, some Israeli lawmakers said the government should only allow vaccines into Gaza in return for concessions from Hamas. The foreign affairs and defence committee chairman, Zvi Hauser, said he wanted to know if Israel would demand the release of two captive Israelis and retrieve the remains of two Israeli soldiers being held by Hamas, "or at least ask for information about them".

This is grotesque.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank god, I almost feared we would try and stop Covid. Thank god facist governments are still to be trusted to fuck up.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Cool story, but it's false. Israel got a request from the PLO to transport vaccines from the West Bank to Gaza on Monday, it was approved this morning. Families of Israeli citizens which Hamas is holding captive (without allowing human rights groups to visit and against international law) had petitioned to put a hold on it unless Hamas releases them as leverage. It took 48 hours but the request was approved and vaccines were transported to Gaza today.

In addition, there are discussions this week regarding sending the PLO and Hamas vaccines from the Israeli stock.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Cool story, but it's false. Israel got a request from the PLO to transport vaccines from the West Bank to Gaza on Monday, it was approved this morning. Families of Israeli citizens which Hamas is holding captive (without allowing human rights groups to visit and against international law) had petitioned to put a hold on it unless Hamas releases them as leverage. It took 48 hours but the request was approved and vaccines were transported to Gaza today.
Holding off vaccines for 48 hours could cause innocents to die. Using this kind of leverage on Hamas is inhumane. I mean, our government is also holding captives - We just call it administrative detention. Essentially, IDF can straight up kidnap Palestinians off the street and arrest them without telling them what they're charged with or why they there, torture them or not allow them to talk to loved ones or a lawyer for MONTHS. They don't even have to prove anything to the court to do it.
But I'm guessing you would be shocked and disgusted if say, Pfizer said they wouldn't deliver any vaccines to Israel until IDF ceases to arrest people without rights?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Holding off vaccines for 48 hours could cause innocents to die. Using this kind of leverage on Hamas is inhumane. I mean, our government is also holding captives - We just call it administrative detention. Essentially, IDF can straight up kidnap Palestinians off the street and arrest them without telling them what they're charged with or why they there, torture them or not allow them to talk to loved ones or a lawyer for MONTHS. They don't even have to prove anything to the court to do it.
But I'm guessing you would be shocked and disgusted if say, Pfizer said they wouldn't deliver any vaccines to Israel until IDF ceases to arrest people without rights?
But no one held vaccines from Gaza and it wasn't used for leverage so.. what's even your point?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
But no one held vaccines from Gaza and it wasn't used for leverage so.. what's even your point?
I mean, IMO, the vaccines should have been expedited and allowed to leave ASAP to help save lives. Instead, they were approved after 48 hours, after deliberations by officials (and the public) on whether we should allow life saving medicine in to one of the densest places in the world during a pandemic. My point was that it's inhumane to not allow medicine in to save innocents.
I don't even think it even matters whether Israel would have approved it anyway, as can be claimed - if that was the case, why wait 48 hours? Why not give permission in advance? It's either a power move, actual deliberations on wether medicine should be used for leverage or just indifference - All of which are bad and illustrate in different ways how horrible the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza is...

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Israel would have committed mass genocide against Palestinians and other neighboring Arab nations by now if it wasn't for US holding them back. It boggles my mind how much this regime gets away with.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I mean, IMO, the vaccines should have been expedited and allowed to leave ASAP to help save lives. Instead, they were approved after 48 hours, after deliberations by officials (and the public) on whether we should allow life saving medicine in to one of the densest places in the world during a pandemic. My point was that it's inhumane to not allow medicine in to save innocents.
I don't even think it even matters whether Israel would have approved it anyway, as can be claimed - if that was the case, why wait 48 hours? Why not give permission in advance? It's either a power move, actual deliberations on wether medicine should be used for leverage or just indifference - All of which are bad and illustrate in different ways how horrible the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza is...
It wasn't used as leverage, it wasn't even considered to be used as one. Just because some idiot Knesset members talk some nonsense, well, politicians, you know. Israel didn't even hold these vaccines; it's not like it was a shipment that was confiscated by Israel and held for 48 hours. It was a request, the PLO has some Russian vaccines and had asked Israel if it would transport some of them to Gaza and Israel said yes. The process took ~48 hours and in the meantime families of victims asked for them to be used as leverage and so did some idiot members of the Knesset.

There was a request, the request was approved and executed within 48 hours. What is this discussion about? The nature of bureaucracy? Withholding vaccines from a population is horrible, but this is not the case.

Wanna talk about how Israel had donated 5000 vaccines to the PLO two weeks ago for the west bank Palestinian medical teams and the PLO had used some of them to vaccinate Palestinian politicians and their families and friends instead of giving all of them to essential workers?

Last edited:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It wasn't used as leverage, it wasn't even considered to be used as one. Just because some idiot Knesset members talk some nonsense, well, politicians, you know. Israel didn't even hold these vaccines; it's not like it was a shipment that was confiscated by Israel and held for 48 hours. It was a request, the PLO has some Russian vaccines and had asked Israel if it would transport some of them to Gaza and Israel said yes. The process took ~48 hours and in the meantime families of victims asked for them to be used as leverage and so did some idiot members of the Knesset.

There was a request, the request was approved and executed within 48 hours. What is this discussion about? The nature of bureaucracy? Withholding vaccines from a population is horrible, but this is not the case.
Nothing to see here folks. The Israeli government, known for war crimes, inhumane treatment of Palestinians, countless violations of human rights, only delayed vaccines for bureaucracy.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

I mean, that's not entirely true. In the length of these 48 hours, the PLO's health minister has said Israel has been holding these vaccines, and similarly people started pointing finger at Israel not allowing the vaccines - That's because military officials couldn't reach a conclusion (likely not wanting to anger anyone from the right wing nuts who run this country) so they moved the decision to the executive to decide. it was at this point where the PLO's health minister said that Israel is not allowing the vaccines in - Quite understandable IMO, since you'd assume or at least hope no one would have to specially approve life saving medicine. (Link in Heb to the where I get the info. )
It WAS held, not held in like some Israeli storage unit, but the owners wanted to move it from the WB to Gaza and they couldn't do it because Israel wouldn't allow it. I'd say at this point that it was held in place by Israel, even if they didn't confiscate it.
It was ultimately allowed, but not too soon - Why? Is it indifference, malice, incompetence?
Even reading this situation in the most favourable possible light, as you're trying to, towards Israel's intentions, it doesn't come away looking very good to say the least. Even if it's just "bureaucracy" as you argue - when we're occupying another nation, and we hold off vaccines through bureaucracy, yeah there is going to be discussions on how Israel's beaurcracy is lethal to Palestinians. Because it is.
Why die on this hill?

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I mean, that's not entirely true. In the length of these 48 hours, the PLO's health minister has said Israel has been holding these vaccines, and similarly people started pointing finger at Israel not allowing the vaccines - That's because military officials couldn't reach a conclusion (likely not wanting to anger anyone from the right wing nuts who run this country) so they moved the decision to the executive to decide. it was at this point where the PLO's health minister said that Israel is not allowing the vaccines in - Quite understandable IMO, since you'd assume or at least hope no one would have to specially approve life saving medicine. (Link in Heb to the where I get the info. )
It WAS held, not held in like some Israeli storage unit, but the owners wanted to move it from the WB to Gaza and they couldn't do it because Israel wouldn't allow it. I'd say at this point that it was held in place by Israel, even if they didn't confiscate it.
It was ultimately allowed, but not too soon - Why? Is it indifference, malice, incompetence?
I agree.

Even reading this situation in the most favourable possible light, as you're trying to, towards Israel's intentions, it doesn't come away looking very good to say the least. Even if it's just "bureaucracy" as you argue - when we're occupying another nation, and we hold off vaccines through bureaucracy, yeah there is going to be discussions on how Israel's beaurcracy is lethal to Palestinians. Because it is.
Why die on this hill?
I totally agree.

It's been 5 days since Hamas has received the vaccines and it's still unknown what they've done with the vaccines. 20K more vaccines had arrived yesterday to Gaza and I wouldn't be surprised if Hamas will make them disappear too. So just like any other problem Gaza has, Hamas is one of the main couses that no one likes talking about.

Last edited: