• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
www.axios.com

Internet providers promise FCC they won't shut off service during pandemic

Nearly 70 companies say they won't terminate internet service to customers who can't pay.

Companies that adhere to Pai's "Keep Americans Connected Pledge" commit for the next 60 days to:

• Not terminate service to any residential or small business customer because of an inability to pay bills due to coronavirus disruptions.
  • Waive late fees that customers incur because of changes in their economic circumstances related to the pandemic.
  • Open Wi-Fi hotspots to those in need.
"I don't want any American consumers experiencing hardships because of the pandemic to lose connectivity," Chairman Pai said in a statement.

Nearly 70 companies already have taken the pledge, according an FCC spokesperson, including AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, Comcast and Charter.

Background: The pledge follows phone calls Pai made with providers and their trade groups Thursday to discuss the coronavirus.

• Pai has called on providers to relax data limits and urged companies with low-income broadband programs to expand and improve them, though those policies weren't part of the pledge.
  • Pai has also talked with providers about ensuring their network performance doesn't suffer as a result of heavier daytime usage of home broadband connections, the FCC said.
Context: Lawmakers have urged internet service providers to step up this week to help Americans through the coronavirus.

• Rep. Jerry McNerney and 11 other House Energy and Commerce Democrats in a letter Thursday asked providers for details on how they're ensuring students, low-income people and others can access the internet during the crisis.
  • Sen. Mark Warner led other members of the Senate Democratic Caucus in asking major ISPs to suspend data caps during the crisis and do more to help students get broadband at home.
What's happening: AT&T, Comcast and Charter already have announced changes to their services in response to coronavirus.

Hmmmm.....

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
A good argument that all this shit should be *free to begin with.

*taxpayer subsidized

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A good argument that all this shit should be *free to begin with.

*taxpayer subsidized
Well, that escalated quickly. But fuck bandwidth caps, it's bullshit.

Hate Pai, but I guess this is a good thing and I have to .. give him credit for it? He's still a monumental piece of shit.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to soon realize just much these corporations gouge us on things like this.

I think we all know; the net neutrality push was almost universally agreed upon and pushed along these sentiments. ISPs frequently rank top of most disliked companies in America surveys.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
How is this similar at all?

Because these much larger corporations are willing to take some huge hits so people don't lose their services during all of this while Wal-mart will let people get tested in their parking lot.

Wal-Mart could pay their employees and give them time off work so they don't have to worry about their bills but are doing this instead.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Because these much larger corporations are willing to take some huge hits so people don't lose their services during all of this while Wal-mart will let people get tested in their parking lot.

Wal-Mart could pay their employees and give them time off work so they don't have to worry about their bills but are doing this instead.
So not similar situations at all.
WM and Target are paying their employees..

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still can't believe this stupid chuckle fuck is leading the FCC. we need a dem admin asafp. this bastard needs to be selling used cars and meth under an overpass. fuck you pai

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How can Walmart let their employees go home when people need the food their stores provide. Goes for any grocery store. It sucks but I don't know how else it can work?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
How can Walmart let their employees go home when people need the food their stores provide. Goes for any grocery store. It sucks but I don't know how else it can work?

I believe they're saying if someone gets sick they should have paid sick leave, but if we're being real. If 1 person gets it there is a high chance others will have it. Unfortunately, we cannot just shut everything down for 2 weeks. It's not feasible. People will need things.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I believe they're saying if someone gets sick they should have paid sick leave, but if we're being real. If 1 person gets it there is a high chance others will have it. Unfortunately, we cannot just shut everything down for 2 weeks. It's not feasible. People will need things.

This, there is absolutely no safety net in place for hourly minimum wage workers if they come down with the illness. We're closing down schools for a month and everyone is getting to work from home but these retail employees are still forced to deal with the public and if they get sick they either miss work and don't get a paycheck or they go to work and possibly get others infected.

All this fellating Trump did to these CEOs today means fuckall if they can't be bothered to devise a strategy for their own workforce.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
This, there is absolutely no safety net in place for hourly minimum wage workers if they come down with the illness. We're closing down schools for a month and everyone is getting to work from home but these retail employees are still forced to deal with the public and if they get sick they either miss work and don't get a paycheck or they go to work and possibly get others infected.

All this fellating Trump did to these CEOs today means fuckall if they can't be bothered to devise a strategy for their own workforce.

I agree. Unfortunately retail workers do not have the luxury to work from home. Something should be in place for them and those that can work from home should be allowed to do so.