• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yes or no?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Digital is cool but cracking open a fresh game and getting that whiff....magnifique.
GYBhTXB.gif

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yes. Love that smell. Unfortunately with the death of manuels the new game smell went away. Now I'm digital only.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Did this with Zelda the other night, one of the weird but nice, small things about games :)

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Ah yes, cracking open a freshly downloaded game. You can practically smell the fibre that it was downloaded across.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
WTF no?
This topic is highly offensive and should be closed.

It's new car smell and anyone knows that.

EtherealRaz

Nov 1, 2017
Removing that cellophane wrapping and getting a whiff of new game smell is comparable to that of new book smell, both are equally satisfying.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I used to enjoy getting a new game and opening it up for the first time.............but these days there is nothing in the box except the disc so it's pretty underwhelming,lol.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games stopped smelling after they stopped putting them in carboard boxes and stopped adding physical goodies like big instruction manuals. Removing the foil from the dvd case is the only joy now. :/

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It used to be. Back in the cartridge days opening a box for the first time had a very strong and distinctive new cartridge smell that modern games with almost empty blu-ray cases that don't come with instruction manuals anymore lack. Discs just don't smell as much as cartridges used to.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games stopped smelling after they stopped putting them in carboard boxes and stopped adding physical goodies like big instruction manuals. Removing the foil from the dvd case is the only joy now. :/
This but I'd argue it was the cartridge that made them smell the most. Manuals and goodies helped but discs just don't smell like cartridges did. At least SNES and N64 ones smelled a lot. Can't soeak for other cartridge home consoles cause I never owned them. Did Genesis game boxes used to smell?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This but I'd argue it was the cartridge that made them smell the most. Manuals and goodies helped but discs just don't smell like cartridges did. At least SNES and N64 ones smelled a lot. Can't soeak for other cartridge home consoles cause I never owned them. Did Genesis game boxes used to smell?
As strange as it may sound I never owned any console that used cartridges so I can't confirm. ;) (moved on from cassette tapes to floppys and then to CD's).

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
No, of course not. It's exactly the same as "new Bluray" or "new DVD" or "new CD" smell.

The GOOD stuff died when big boxes with extras and books in them died off.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As strange as it may sound I never owned any console that used cartridges so I can't confirm. ;) (moved on from cassette tapes to floppys and then to CD's).
The worst part is nowadays you can buy a new game and it's just a disc in an empty box. Switch game cases are also empty but their cartridges smell bad.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should all have different smells.

Think how exciting opening up Resident Evil 2 would be if it came with a thematically appropriate box smell.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I only buy old carts as everything has been digital for a while. Old cart smell is not good.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember the good old days when game cartridges came in a cardboard tray, wrapped in some tasty cellophane action.
Fresher than any Bluray box for sure.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
New shoes, new car, gasoline, all better. Also better is the smell of not having to change games through a method other than using a controller.