• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Perhaps we need to wait until that 20/20 Event next month...

It's ok, people speculate and wish for things, I don't think anyone is concern trolling here so no need to defend Microsoft's approach - yes, we're all waiting for the event eagerly (I am really curious and hope I like what I see so my decision to buy Series X goes from 'maybe' to 'certainly' :) I think some people would genuinely like to see new stuff.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
okbjrqqwujk31.jpg

Microsoft should get a Japanese developer like PlatinumGames or From Software to reboot this game.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love how Halo is not a Microsoft IP because it was introduced by Steve Jobs and it was an apple exclusive for 1 year

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Xbox going through the ringer now more than ever here on ERA. Woof. Y'all need to chill the fuck out.

Unless you make big cinematic AAA games or Japanese games, you are gonna have a hard time on ERA :p You can see it from MS either getting shit for only doing sequels, or for getting shit for doing new IPs like Grounded and Bleeding Edge.

Jun 22, 2018
Well, good news!

They have lots of new IPs in development!

Whether they turn out to be great or not remains to be seen, but let's not pretend like they aren't making new IPs.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's been time for almost two generations now.

This is the main reason I haven't bought any of their consoles since the original xbox

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
I was observing the trajectory of the great intellectual properties under the umbrella of Microsoft / Xbox Studios and I ended up realizing how most of the IPs that we identified as part of the Xbox were acquired from third parties, either with the purchase of the studio or with the rights of the IP fixed in the production . I cite examples:

- Halo, created by Bungie.
- Gears of War, created by Epic.
- Fable, created by Lionhead.
- Banjo, created by Rare (at the time of the partnership with Nintendo).
- Minecraft, created by Mojang.
- Alan Wake, created by Remedy.
- Crackdown, created by Realtime Worlds.
- Killer Instinct, created by Rare.
- State of Decay, created by Undead Labs.
- Quantum Break, created by Remedy.
- Cuphead, creation of StudioMDHR.
- Hellblade, created by Ninja Theory.
- Sunset overdrive, created by Insomniac.
- Ori, creation of Moon Studios.
- Flight Simulator, acquired in the 80's.
- Age of Empires, creation of Ensemble Studios.

We can mention as new IPs produced by studios already part of the body of Microsoft:

- Sea of Thieves, by Rare.
- Forza, on Turn 10.
- Everwild, by Rare.

I'm possibly forgetting titles on both lists. But I think the point is clear. It seems to me that Microsoft needs to go through the same transformation that Sony went through during the PlayStation 3 era, more than a decade ago and start to trust its studios, produce new ideas at home and give the spotlight.

I am not sure that continuing to chase other people's IPs is a sustainable path.

What do you think?

Isnt this why they bought all those studios. I think they already are betting on new IP from 1st party studios. We just aren't in the know yet.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Xbox going through the ringer now more than ever here on ERA. Woof. Y'all need to chill the fuck out.

I believe this is happening because people are worried MS is going to fuck it up again. This is a crucial time for MS to show us they understand games. Look at their May event, where they promised they would show gameplay and then showed no gameplay. I dont really worry about the games shown per se, Scarlet Nexus looked good to me,

Its just that a platform holder with a huge stake on their new console blatantly lied and misinformed customers. If you say you are going to show gameplay, show it MS. Otherwise say 'no gameplay' this time, sorry. But then they turned around and blamed players for having the wrong expectations. Do they think we are stupid?

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Unless you make big cinematic AAA games or Japanese games, you are gonna have a hard time on ERA :p You can see it from MS either getting shit for only doing sequels, or for getting shit for doing new IPs like Grounded and Bleeding Edge.

Do you always mention Bleeding Edge and Grounded, these games were produced in 20 months already under order from Microsoft or were other projects that came as a gift with NT and Obisidian ?? Because if so, it would still be the same case that I've been raising. Purchased and not created projects.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Let's ignore all the new IPs this gen cause reasons. This site sometimes....

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
So unless it's a studio that Microsoft founded those IPs are what, not worthy somehow? That's some interesting logic...
Yeah, it's beyond ridiculous. Some of those IPs are awesome, and giving them up just because Microsoft didn't invent them is just stupid.

Fable may not be a new IP, but it's the game I'm the most excited for out of all first party games by Sony and Microsoft.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Let's ignore all the new IPs this gen cause reasons. This site sometimes....

I quoted Sea of Thieves. But what other new IP was created by Microsoft's first party studios in this generation? The colleague there mentioned Bleeding Edge and Grounded, a pair of AA games from the studios purchased in 2018. I have my doubts that these games have been created, developed and released under the wings of Microsoft, but I have to give the benefit of the doubt.

However, does that seem enough?

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Yeah, it's beyond ridiculous. Some of those IPs are awesome, and giving them up just because Microsoft didn't invent them is just stupid.

Fable may not be a new IP, but it's the game I'm the most excited for out of all first party games by Sony and Microsoft.

Sorry I am out of the loop, but is there a new Fable game coming out? I thought they cancelled the kinect-only Fable and that was the last I heard about the series?

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
This should all begin to turn around in literally the next few weeks though,they have many studios now.It's a shame their biggest studios are seemingly tied to single franchises though as that means if like me you've no interest in them then they may never make a game that interests me.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
These threads feel so premature before we even see their first party lineup in July. They didn't buy all these studios for nothing, it's obvious some of them will be working on new IP. Especially so Obsidian, Rare and InXile if I had to guess.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But then they turned around and blamed players for having the wrong expectations. Do they think we are stupid?

I mean, that literally just isn't true.
To quote Aaron Greenberg over the couple of days after:

Clearly we set some wrong expectations & that's on us. We appreciate all the feedback & can assure you we will take it all in & learn as a team.

I get the feeling being wrong won't stop you being outraged though.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Do you always mention Bleeding Edge and Grounded, these games were produced in 20 months already under order from Microsoft or were other projects that came as a gift with NT and Obisidian ?? Because if so, it would still be the same case that I've been raising. Purchased and not created projects.

No offense, but I honestly think you have a very limited and flawed understanding of the highly collaborative and iterative process that is game development. You seem to think someone has an idea on day 1, and that is where the creative aspect of game design ends.

Games change constantly during development, and the publisher is deeply involved in that. If you are somehow trying to tell yourself that Halo is not really a Microsoft IP because Bungie showed a very different game once at MAc World, then I don't know what to tell you...

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sorry I am out of the loop, but is there a new Fable game coming out? I thought they cancelled the kinect-only Fable and that was the last I heard about the series?

Very heavily implied Playground Games is working on a new proper Fable. They hired a bunch of industry talent for a new project and there's a lot of smoke, almost a clearly visible fire, that team is gonna do Fable. As in the Forza Horizon devs.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're making a lot of new IP it just hasn't been announced yet.

And a lot of the games being brought back will be the IP in name but that's it,

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I mean, that literally just isn't true.
To quote Aaron Greenberg over the couple of days after:

I get the feeling being wrong won't stop you being outraged though.

Hey as I said I enjoyed what they showed us, I liked Scarlet Nexus and am looking forward to play it on my XOX soon,

That does not mean they didnt fuck it up. I would have watched it regardless, no need to make shit up.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They hit the brakes sometime early this gen, butseem to have started publishing again. I Theyre working on it im sure. I also think this is part of the reaso why they are going to have no next gen exclusives for awhile. They started a little late and im sure theyll break that policy as soon as they have something ready.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Naughty Dog begs to differ at the height of Uncharted popularity they made TLOU which couldn't have been a bigger shift in direction for the studio.

They traded an over the shoulder linear action game where you shoot and occasionally stealth/punch for an over the shoulder linear action game where you stealth/punch and occasionally shoot. Honestly, I can imagine bigger shifts.

Also they immediately went back and made two more Uncharted games.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's wait for their next-gen showcase before telling them what they should or should not do, shall we?

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was observing the trajectory of the great intellectual properties under the umbrella of Microsoft / Xbox Studios and I ended up realizing how most of the IPs that we identified as part of the Xbox were acquired from third parties, either with the purchase of the studio or with the rights of the IP fixed in the production . I cite examples:

- Halo, created by Bungie.
- Gears of War, created by Epic.
- Fable, created by Lionhead.
- Banjo, created by Rare (at the time of the partnership with Nintendo).
- Minecraft, created by Mojang.
- Alan Wake, created by Remedy.
- Crackdown, created by Realtime Worlds.
- Killer Instinct, created by Rare.
- State of Decay, created by Undead Labs.
- Quantum Break, created by Remedy.
- Cuphead, creation of StudioMDHR.
- Hellblade, created by Ninja Theory.
- Sunset overdrive, created by Insomniac.
- Ori, creation of Moon Studios.
- Flight Simulator, acquired in the 80's.
- Age of Empires, creation of Ensemble Studios.

We can mention as new IPs produced by studios already part of the body of Microsoft:

- Sea of Thieves, by Rare.
- Forza, on Turn 10.
- Everwild, by Rare.

I'm possibly forgetting titles on both lists. But I think the point is clear. It seems to me that Microsoft needs to go through the same transformation that Sony went through during the PlayStation 3 era, more than a decade ago and start to trust its studios, produce new ideas at home and give the spotlight.

I am not sure that continuing to chase other people's IPs is a sustainable path.

What do you think?

This thread makes no sense. All those games were financially pushed by Microsoft. Who cares if they worked through 2nd party relationships to do it? All you're doing here is shitting on Microsoft for having a business approach where they take chances with 2nd party developers. It makes no sense...

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
How many more concern trolling threads are we gonna get before the July event?

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That does not mean they didnt fuck it up. I would have watched it regardless, no need to make shit up.

It was a fuck-up, I found that event a huge misreading of the room and massively disappointing, but to say they tried to blame their mistakes on the viewers and that they treated them like they're stupid was a lil bit of fiction. That's all.

Jun 22, 2018
The kinect Fable game came out in 2012. The weird co-op mashup game Fable Legends (not Kinect based) was cancelled this gen.

It is believed that Playground's new RPG is Fable.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
No offense, but I honestly think you have a very limited and flawed understanding of the highly collaborative and iterative process that is game development. You seem to think someone has an idea on day 1, and that is where the creative aspect of game design ends.

Games change constantly during development, and the publisher is deeply involved in that. If you are somehow trying to tell yourself that Halo is not really a Microsoft IP because Bungie showed a very different game once at MAc World, then I don't know what to tell you...

You're trying to put words on me that I didn't write.

I am saying from the beginning that Microsoft relies more on the purchase of IPs and studios than it invests in the organic composition of Xbox Games Studios and new ideas.

Your answer does not change my argument. Halo is a Microsoft IP because the company bought it from Bungie. But is this a creation of Microsoft itself as is, for example, Zelda for Nintendo or Uncharted for Sony? Do not.

Bleeding Edge and Grounded are games that started your creative process within Microsoft? I don't know, and you also don't seem to know or don't want to say. I give the benefit of the doubt that yes. Then there would be two AAs that come from Microsoft funding, joining the Sea of Thives and Forza team.

I never touched on the discussion of who owns the IP. I am arguing about Microsoft's business approach compared to its peers.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The Kinect only fable came out in like 2012 or 13. You are thinking of fable legends I guess. New fable game is rumored to be done by playground.

I get it tho, a mainline fable hasn't released in 10 years, but them announcing fable in 2020 would get eyerolls as "another fable" lol

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
I think with all the rumours circling about the Xbox July event, we better wait until after that before throwing this question out there.

I for one will buy Xbox as long as they keep making Halo, but I agree with your main point that along with mainstays, fresh new ideas are welcome. I believe we will get those in July.

(But if they announce a new Fable I will lose my shit)

Oct 25, 2017
Your answer does not change my argument. Halo is a Microsoft IP because the company bought it from Bungie. But is this a creation of Microsoft itself as is, for example, Zelda for Nintendo or Uncharted for Sony? Do not.
There is no fundamental difference between these two things because at the end of the day, they are all exclusive IP managed by the publisher used to define their hardware.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a thread that would make a lot more sense to make AFTER their July showcase, no?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
My point was never that Microsoft should abandon franchises. My point is very clear: Microsoft has always invested in the purchase of IPs, not in the construction of them. And I'm asking if the MS should.
Prior to the latter stages of this generation, Microsoft had a skewed approach where they worked with third party developers to bring exclusives to their consoles more than they had internal development. Has this somewhat stopped them from having their own IP? No, they own a lot of IP, a lot of quality IP that they have not revisited. This is construction. It does not matter that it was done by an outside party or whether it was in house; it is something you can always go back to if you get a right partner.

This could be games like Blinx, Fable, Conker, Brute Force, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Mech Assualt, Rallisport Challenge. It is all those IP that they got in the 360 era like Lost Odyssey, Alan Wake, Kameo or games that come with the studios that they have just bought. This is a big portfolio to work with, and something that will be built upon by not only third party developers, but their internal studios over time.

As we speak, we see Flight Simulator coming back, Age of Empires is coming back and there are rumors that Playground is working on Fable while The Initiative may be working on Perfect Dark. All games that fans have wanted.
I didn't say they should abandon existing IPs but at least some of the 1st party studios should - in my opinion - be working on new IPs that people will associate with Xbox (just like people associate Kratos, Aloy, Ellie with Playstation).

For example, Hellblade is a great game and I can't wait to play Hellblade 2 - but my first association is not Xbox when I think about it. That will probably change when 2 is out, but I still think Microsoft could use a couple of new, unique IPs that were born under their umbrella. I could be wrong, ofc, it's just my opinion (and I'd love to see new IPs so maybe I'm not objective. Give me Gears 6, though.)
And you have Master Chief, Marcus Phoenix and now Kait Diaz, going forward if Hellblade is big it will be Senua. Still have to see whether we are getting Joanna Dark back. But this should not be the worry that many make it out to be.

No! Halo was first introduced by Apple!

And Halo was a real time strategy game that morphed into a third person shooter before it became a first person shooter. Do you think that Microsoft bought Bungie without knowing what this game was? It was a launch title for the original console.

Microsoft has been there with this game from day one i.e. when it launched. After all, were they not the publisher?