• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You're paying to remove the inconvienience of ads with a forced subscription of Spotify's competitor.

I will quote myself:

"YouTube Music has improved a lot (but people in this forum likes to criticize YouTube Music when they have not used it in years)."

www.resetera.com

Google Play Music shutting down later this year, transfer tool to Youtube Music now online

I hate that repeat doesn't work when casting to devices. This app sucks so hard that I might bail on Android all together.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yes absolutely I've had it a couple years.

My main devices to watch it on are my TV app and iPad, it's awesome never getting ads.

I was also able to cancel our Spotify subscription because everything I want is basically on YouTube music.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't answer your question, but YouTube ads have gotten so annoying that "skip" is one of the first English words my son learned to say. The ad placement and frequency is maddening... but fuck paying for YouTube.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't you just VPN to another country's YT service and register for Premium that way?

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I am absolutely amazed that anyone at all pays for it at that price. Its disgusting they can charge that much to simply remove ads they put in there.
Netflix is £8, they produce their own films and shows, as well as buying 3rd party stuff, and have clearly got huge costs from that.
Amazon prime gives TV content, some of which is original, plus a lot of third party stuff included in the premium, you Also get music, And deliveries included, yet its again only around £8
YouTube is simply a platform for other people's work, and those people are paid by the ad revenue. Its £10 a month.
How can they justify this cost?

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I hate that I have to use it, but it's worth it because of what was done to the free version. I've had it for over a year, and when I've seen people use the free version, the ads are very irritating.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
For YouTube alone? Not for me, no. Too expensive to get rid of some ads.

It would be a good deal for YouTube + Music for the family, if YouTube Music wasn't such a terrible service without 3rd party support. Urgh

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Once they fix their algorithm I might consider subbing. So far if I watch one obscure video about basket weaving my whole frontpage will be basket weaving videos with bright thumbnails. No, thank you.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Also - being able to download videos in the app is nice too.

Last time I had a flight, I downloaded a bunch of videos to my iPad and had more stuff than I could watch, and didn't need WiFi.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Youtube is my primary source of entertainment. I can support the content creators I actually watch and don't have to watch shitty commercials.
Download and offscreen function on mobile is also very nice to have.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
Just subscribe via a VPN and sign up for premium in Russia or India. You get the same features but costs like 2 bucks a month. Definitely worth it just to get rid of ads.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Adblock on PC, YouTube Vanced in Android (sorry iOS users), no need to pay for basic functions like background play.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
No way am I giving a company like Google any more than I already have (inadvertantly). The fact that the features I'm interested in used to be free is also a turn-off.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am absolutely amazed that anyone at all pays for it at that price. Its disgusting they can charge that much to simply remove ads they put in there.
Netflix is £8, they produce their own films and shows, as well as buying 3rd party stuff, and have clearly got huge costs from that.
Amazon prime gives TV content, some of which is original, plus a lot of third party stuff included in the premium, you Also get music, And deliveries included, yet its again only around £8
YouTube is simply a platform for other people's work, and those people are paid by the ad revenue. Its £10 a month.

YouTube is much more expensive to run than Netflix.

And as far is know is barely profitable. And that only happened recently after they pushed to make more money.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I give google $65 a month for YouTube TV; if they let me bundle it together for an additional $5 I would consider it, but I've already got Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, Crunchyroll and Apple TV. I can't justify another monthly subscription service at their asking price.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just use browser and ad block, and pretty sure an add-on for listening while screen off, not that I do.

I'm in a Spotify family plan so I can't justify £12 a month for no ads that an add-on does for free.

I also don't watch much original content on YouTube. Maybe 1-2 videos a day.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
It's because you get youtube music without ads too which itself is a competitor of spotify. Actually it's more the other way around. You subscribe to yt music but get the side effect of not having any ads on youtube too.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You are supposed to compare it with Spotify not with Netflix. I pay for a family plan because we all watch a lot of YouTube.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Use Vanced.

I'd happily pay google £3-£5 just for ad removal since I don't like using third party stuff. But they are stupid.

Anyone recommending using a VPN to subscribe, would I need to keep my subscription to the VPN (Say, Nord)rolling?

Or can I just sub once to the VPN, and my subscription to Youtube will keep running?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
No but they forced my hand when they forced 4x2 blocks of ads in an hour down my throat when watching content on my smart TV. Video's became unwatchable.

I can stand an ad in front of a video but come on.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I've tried to justify cancelling it and just the thought of going back to regular youtube gives me nightmares so it's basically worth it.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
It is the last premium service I would cut due to budget reasons. I get so mad when I see people who still have ads on YouTube. But it's also great for listening to live podcasts with my phone asleep in my pocket. And it comes with YT Music, so I don't need a Spotify account.

This is where I'm at.

I can't stand YouTube ads and I watch it on the WebOS app on an LG TV.

I work from home and basically leave YouTube on TV all day long, I average 70 hours of YouTube a week. So it's definitely worth it for me, I like the background noise and occasionally stop to watch an interesting video.

In comparison, I barely touch Netflix, Prime Video and Disney +, which are the other three subscriptions I pay.

That said, I don't pay 12$ for it. In Brazil I pay what would amount to 4 US dollars.

Xirj

Sep 10, 2019
Best value subscription out there: Youtube Premium + Music for family for $15! Amazing. Grinds my gears so much when I'm at another person's house and see ads on their Youtube and then find out they also have a Spotify subscription.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
It's worth it for me since I listen to a lot of white noise videos while trying to sleep. Years back I kept getting woke up by long/loud ads and said fuck it. I know there are cheaper options available, but I watch enough videos to justify the cost to support the channels I subscribe to.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could just pay to make ads go away. I've got no interest in anything else that Premium offers, and 12€ is just way too much for that one thing.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Premium removes ads from YouTube kids too. That might be worth it if the India vpn thing works on the family plan too.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Nope fuck them and this bullshit of locking off screen play behind a paywall. Will never support removing such a basic feature so you can sell it. They've also clearly made ads a deliberate pain in the ass to push you into that but nah fuck em.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I use adblock, so not it's not worth it. I do notice on my phone that they are spamming ads far more than usual now.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth it but only because they artificially tried their best to make the free version complete shit. It feels wrong to reward them for it. Fuck them.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'm fine with paying for Premium so content creators that I enjoy get paid, opposed to circumventing ad views with a blocker and taking away their revenue.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth it but only because they artificially tried their best to make the free version complete shit. It feels wrong to reward them for it. Fuck them.
no they didnt,
Nope fuck them and this bullshit of locking off screen play behind a paywall. Will never support removing such a basic feature so you can sell it. They've also clearly made ads a deliberate pain in the ass to push you into that but nah fuck em.
they never supported that in the first place before premium

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever i go on vacation (... 😥 ) i always just get YT Premium for a single month so i can download shit to my phone before the trip, or when i'm on WiFi, so i can watch my subs even if the Hotel / AirBnB / whatever WiFi is super spotty.