• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well?

• WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?! HUH?! CANT HEAR YOU

Votes: 466 43.6%
  • Pretty damn loud

Votes: 305 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 256 24.0%
  • Whisper quiet (I am a big liar)

Votes: 41 3.8%

• Total voters

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Extremely. It's always funny when I am playing a multiplayer game I'll have a teammate also have it kick into overdrive at the same time. It'll be just a random moment in FIFA sometimes, so it doesn't feel like there's a lot of rhyme or reason frankly.

Day 1 Pro for me.

dieter

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Detroit right now and my pro wants to take off every 5 min, it is by far the loudest I've ever heard it.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I've ever heard mine at all was playing the Modern Warfare 2 Remaster. It spun up and sounded like it was ready for liftoff. Dead silent with every other game.

Edit: It's a slim I bought in 2017.

Last edited:

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've had 2 PS4s, the original one was from 2014. It was quiet for the first year or so, then got loud. After opening it up and cleaning dust from the fan/heatsink, it solved the issue. Noise got bad again every 6 months until I cleaned it out again. That PS4 is still working fine, but I've since moved and my brother is still using it.

I got a slim PS4 a year ago. It's been really silent since I've got it, probably quieter than the 2014 model when new.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
og ps4 pro... i didn't think it was too loud before until now. that shit is like a falcon 9 going to orbit. any demanding game sends it to the moon. im hoping the ps5's size will allow for a quieter console.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah my Pro is a noisy beast and I dust and vacuum that sucker at least every month... But these days I mostly game with a headset on (almost essential in TLoU2 due to its awesome sound design), so doesn't bother me too much.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I had an original gen 1 model and a Pro, both were loud as hell. Sold them to pick up the PS5 later this year... really hope it's quieter.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Latest model pro, got super loud after a few months. Nextgen cannot come soon enough.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
It was until I replaced the thermal paste and put in a better internal fan. The real issue is the high pitched whirring of the fan that comes with the stock PS4 pro.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not too bad. By far, the loudest the fan on my Pro has ever gotten was while playing God of War. No other game has come close. That was some "lift-off is imminent" fan noise.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I have a slim and it definitely gets loud with more intensive games, some games play without much noise but as time goes on it gets progressively louder.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
My original PS4 was very loud. Then I got a Pro and it was a lot quieter, but it had a higher pitch and it was easier to notice when the fan changed speed. It was distracting.

That was in the days when the fan changed speed. Now, the fan is quiet while the game boots AND THEN GOES TO 100% AND STAYS THERE.

Except on menu screens, where it goes to 200%.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I have a Slim, it's fine most of the time but it can get pretty loud on occasion, though the noise doesn't usually last all that long. For instance, in Nioh 2 the fan kicks in at the start of a level following a cutscene and then dies down after a bit.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Mine got really bad this weekend with TLOU2, so bad that during the evening when I had to have to volume a bit lower on the stereo I couldn't hear the voices coming from the centre or front speakers. I dragged the PS4 a bit closer to the front of the cabinet and it's improved somewhat. Would like to try and fit some external fan to blow more cold in.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Whisper quiet, never hear unless I TRY to hear it. I posted a video here a while back of me playing God of War and it was making no noise. No matter what I play, no matter what time of day or temp in the room, no matter how long I play for. Silence. The one time it EVER made any noise was when I rented Farcry 5..but I assume that was disc spin I heard since I am 100% digital normally.

Obligatory stats/details

- PS4 Pro
- I have not modified it in any way, nor have I blown out dust or power cleaned it since I bought it (my house has 4 cats, so can be dust/hair)
- Digital play only (other than that ONE time I mentioned above) so disc drive not used really
- Sitting on top of my entertainment center with plenty of air flow around it (and out in the open so if it DID make noises I would hear it
- I sit about 6-8 feet away and play without headphones on usually normal volume levels so as not to annoy my wife ;P
- My house is always quiet when I am playing too, since it is usually when my wife is doing office work

So basically, if it was going to ever make annoying noises, I would have heard it forever ago. I feel bad for anyone that has the issues.

Love the fact that option four says I am a liar, nice "if you don't agree with me you are full of shit" touch ;P ... I lol'ed.

FootieGamer

Nov 3, 2017
Very loud. It has been the loudest whilst playing God of War and The Last of Us 2. I have to wear headphones when playing those games.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. TLOU2 makes the Pro's fans spin up pretty loud but not louder than my sound system or anything.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game but for most demanding Pro enhanced games it is like a jet engine. Playing FFVII Remake the other week and this goddamn console is brrrr'ing over the dialogue. Terrible design, love the games but the cooling solution is not good. I have mine in an open wire rack and it's still loud.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I have the God of War edition Pro, and it's pretty damn quiet.

It produces an audible noise in complete silence, but it's drowned out with any amount of in-game noise. I'm sure it's spiking occasionally, but I can't say I've ever noticed it while playing. The only time I can remember it being distracting was in the menu of God of War lol. That was the noisest it's ever been, but it still wasn't bad.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My OG PS4 was loud. Traded it for a Battlefront 2 PS4 Pro and that was loud too. Here's an example with Days Gone

Only some games seem to do this. Last of Us 2 surprisingly doesn't get as loud

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My Pro is in jet engine mode playing TLoU2 despite reports saying the contrary. It's so loud I can hear it whilst wearing my Golds. It's also got annoying coil whine. Launch unit.

I actually hate playing anything on the damn thing because it's so loud, but not like I have a choice to play anywhere else with Sony's games. TLoU2 sure looks good though, GPU must be in overdrive.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Got a PS4 Pro in February 2017. I won't say it's whisper quiet, but it's quieter than my PC is, and quieter than my PS3 was. The only time I noticed it being louder than normal is when I was playing God of War and The Last of Us Remastered. I expect it will be as loud when I start playing The Last of Us Part II.

I don't doubt it's an issue for a lot of people, but I won the thermal paste lottery with my machine, apparently.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 Pro is making medium "woosh" sound when playing TLoU2 and it's very, very hot here right now. I don't have AC either. I'm amazed. Did Sony fix something with fw updates? My Pro used to sound like a jet in the past but now when playing TLoU2 it's very tame.

Oct 29, 2017
Base ps4, I did change the thermal paste and clean it out and it's been pretty quiet during my last stretches of LoUII. Pretty long stretches too; >4 hours.

Feb 24, 2018
I really wish both console and laptop makers made it way easier to clean the the fan, I don't know why they make it so hard, laptops especially.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Game dependent but it's quite loud. I think it's due for a change of thermal paste and thorough cleaning.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was ridiculous, like unplayable loud with Warzone until a couple of weeks ago when I redid the thermal paste again and it has been quieter than it has ever been since then, honestly I had to take the top off to ensure that the fan was spinning... Played through the Last of Us 2 with no cases of the fan spinning up. Changing the paste again was the last step before buying a new one.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Depends on the game but my PS4 Slim can get pretty loud, though never enough to become annoying. It's easily my loudest console though, aside from my PS3 Phat but that's modded and I purposely chose to make it louder by increasing the fan speed.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My pro is absurdly loud...it is the loudest system I ever owned. I am replaying Last of Us right now and the thing sounds like a jet engine....

Oct 25, 2017
My launch ps4 was outrageously loud, my current slim I wouldn't say is silent or anything but it's totally normal/fine.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Nope, I got a pro about 4 months ago. Quiet(soft hum at most) even with TLOU2. What a champ ;'(

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Mine is louder than a vacuum cleaner when I'm doing anything other than browsing the home menu or PSN store. Internet browsee makes it hum quite loud, but any app or game uts it into annoyingly loud territory, and some games are just obnoxious.
I normally have my TV volume between 8-12 depending on tge game. With the PS4 I need it on 20 just to be able to hear it over the fan.