• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does your favorite game of all time belong to one of these franchises?

• Yes, my favorite game of all time is a Mario game

Votes: 90 6.1%
  • Yes, my favorite game of all time is a Zelda game

Votes: 359 24.3%
  • Yes, my favorite game of all time is a Pokemon game

Votes: 46 3.1%
  • Yes, my favorite game of all time is a Final Fantasy game

Votes: 173 11.7%
  • No, my favorite game of all time doesn't belong to any of these series

Votes: 811 54.8%

• Total voters

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
No, my favorite game of all time doesn't belong to any of those franchises, but Mario, Zelda and Final Fantasy at least have an entry in my top twenty, if not top ten list. Mario 64 is somewhere in the top five.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Nope.

Its' probably Chrono Trigger.

Even though I do enjoy Legend of Zelda games and some Mario games.
I don't think any games from these series I will put in top 20.
Other than MM and ALBW.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Love all of the franchises listed*, but none are my favorite of all time.

* except for Pokemon. respect it but never played one

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Yup. Final Fantasy VIII

It felt the most magical any game has ever felt for me when I first played it. I felt, lived and breathed the world.
I cried. The soundtrack gave me goosebumps and still does. I get emotional when I think about this game.

But who knows what the future will bring with many highly anticipated games on the horizon with Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and many others.

I guess Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII and Dark Souls are all basically very close seconds for me.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom Hearts II is my favorite game of all time. I have two in my top 5 though.
Pokemon Platinum, Diablo 2, Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy XII round out my top 5.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for everyone in this thread, i know without a shadow of a doubt what my favorite game of all time is (Final Fantasy VII), i don't think this will ever change because the impact it had on me as a child.

BUT, if you asked me what my 2nd favorite game of all time is, i honestly couldn't tell you. I'd give you a list of like 8 games that it could be, anyone else the same way?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Well, that's a very difficult question.. and I never end with a definitive answer, because I get conflicted between my experiences with different genres.. why I'd say that a RPG is better than a fighting game, for example?

but Super Mario Bros. 3 is among my favorite games indeed.. and when I think about video games in general, the primarly genre that comes to mind is platformers, so...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's Metroid Prime. But there are numerous Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon games in my top 10/15/20 or so.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Quick question for everyone in this thread, i know without a shadow of a doubt what my favorite game of all time is (Final Fantasy VII), i don't think this will ever change because the impact it had on me as a child.

BUT, if you asked me what my 2nd favorite game of all time is, i honestly couldn't tell you. I'd give you a list of like 8 games that it could be, anyone else the same way?

I know pretty firmly my second favorite game after Metal Gear Solid is Persona 5. I tend to organize my thoughts on things via ranking though.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope.
Though if I were to make a top 20 or so, I'm sure a good percentage would be made up from Mario and a few Zelda titles, albeit probably not as many as one would expect.
Don't really care much for Pokemon or Final Fantasy, so eh.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Super Mario World is mine

Super Mario Bros. 2 is my favourite NES game
Pokemon gen 1 my fav GB game
Ocarina my top N64
Breath of the Wild is my current game of the generation

Final Fantasy is one of my gaming blind spots. I have yet to play one. Gonna play VI at some point on the SNES classic soon.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Depending on the day, FFVI is my #1 or #2 favorite game of all time. The other is Xenogears.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the profile picture I have kind of gives it away, but yes, Final Fantasy VII is my favourite game of all time.The Last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 2, Persona 4: Golden, REmake are all definitely up there as well though. In general my list of favourites changes around a lot depending on my gaming tastes at the time. FFVII has a special place in my heart because playing it when I was young was the moment I knew I wanted to work in the games industry in some capacity. It also spurred my love of RPGs and especially JRPG games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Could literally live my entire life with no issue playing none of the titles in these series. If I had to stretch and pick one of the it'd be FF.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
No, my favorite game of all time is Super Metroid.

And second is possibly Chrono Trigger, so still no.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
No, it is not.

My favorite game of all time would either have to be the original Doom, or Tetris.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

I could give you a top 3, but from there I would really have to think about it.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what my favourite game of all time is but it's none of those. May not even make my top 20.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I could easily. My 2nd place is Wind Waker, another Zelda game.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
If you had asked before last Christmas my answer would have been yes; Astro Bot is the new king

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden series my favorite games. Can play them without problem. At any time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My top 10 includes games from all those franchises minus pokemon, but they aren't number one. Chrono Trigger is the GOAT, Illusion of Gaia is my personal favorite game ever but it's not the best.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Love each of these series (though FF is maybe more of a strong like than love), but nah. None of their entries would probably even make my top 5.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Link to the Past is still my favorite game of all time.

Mario 3 rounds out top 3, with Sonic 2 included in there as well.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy 6, A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and a couple others are always in flux as to the order of my top 10 or 20. FF6 is on top more than any other so that I guess. The depths of its story and themes is still something today.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's only after the top 5 that things get a bit unclear and only after top 15 where things get really murky/blendy.

MM
TLG
ICO
FFVI
LA

Set in stone top 5 until I play something that can compete with them, none of the rest of my top ten can crack my top 5.