• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is your attention span getting longer or shorter as you grow older?

• Shorter

Votes: 186 67.6%
  • Longer

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • It’s always been short, no signs of change

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • It’s always been long, no signs of change

Votes: 19 6.9%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mine is getting shorter. I get bored fast at work now, I used to watch movies like There Will Be Blood and such and love the slowness but now can't even bother with movies because I'd rather check my phone and the web.

I don't want to watch long TV dramas that are super involved (took me ages to get through certain dramas on Hulu and Netflix).

I haven't been to a movie theater in over a year as a result of my attention span dying out.

Rest In Peace attention span

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Definitely shorter. I have much less patience for things I find bad or annoying. Honestly, it's tough for me to even get through writing out a post before I lose inte

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
shorter, i didn't even read the whole OP lol

In reality it's shorter, I feel I'm constantly watching the phone or something during game cinematics or TV shows. It's weird, because I remember I wasn't like this.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My attention span doesn't seem to have changed, but my tolerance for stuff I'm not interested in has gone down.

For example, if I run into boring shit in a show, I'll drop it pretty quickly. When I was younger, I may have tolerated it for longer to see if it would get better later, but these days I just have way less patience for it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Much shorter. I personally think the internet and smart phones in particular were the major reason for the change.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I find that it is a muscle, and the more I use it, the better it gets. I struggle hard with ADD, and with getting so overwhelmed that I can't focus on anything. I've been trying really hard to train myself to just do one thing at a time over the last few weeks and I'm getting a lot more done and am a lot more effective at my job now.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Longer. I couldn't focus in school. As an adult I'm much better at learning and retaining information.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
It depends?

I'm more inclined to slow down and listen to things that interest me and my curiosity has grown with my age. If someone is genuine in their attempts at work or help involving me I won't rush them and will wait because they mean well and are trying their best hopefully.

But on the flip side, I have no patience for bullshit so in that sense shorter., much shorter.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'd say it's the same but I consume movies and televisions in a different way than say 10 years ago, I often watch a show or movie while playing a game or read a book while watching while watching a stream.

I can still watch 3 hour movies in theatres though so I'm not a lost cause yet. ;p

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I would actually say much longer.
At 44 years old I have much more patience than I did when I was younger, and I do believe attention is tied to patience. At least my own.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Shorter. I think part of that is the whole smartphone generation thing and the other is having so many entertainment/lifestyle options available to me that it's hard to stick to one thing.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Shorter, no question. I don't know if it is exclusively because I'm aging, or the fact that I am constantly exhausted having two young children crashing into every goddamn thing in my house NO PUT THE ROKU STICK DOWN sorry what were we talking about?

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Shorter for sure. I've been playing Control and I started reading all the documentation collectibles at first, but quickly started ignoring them completely. I feel like I'm most certainly missing out on part of the game, but I just can't force myself to stop and read every single one. Don't have the patience.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to love watching movies and TV shows. I can't even be bothered to watch TV and I get bored watching movies really quickly.

Similarly for games. I used to play any and every game regardless of genre or quality. Now I can count on one hand the number of games that hold my interest and I actually finish.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shorter for me. I'm still able to watch long movies or to read long books but I'm now much more inclined to check my phone though.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Both shorter and longer.

I used to be pretty susceptible to sticking with things (books, shows, games) even though I didn't like them all that much in hopes they'd get better later on. Nowadays I'm way quicker at dropping stuff, but whateverI end up do liking, I stay with to the end.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Shorter, partly caused by medical stuff but mostly just don't have the patience for lots of things these days.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
I find that it is a muscle, and the more I use it, the better it gets. I struggle hard with ADD, and with getting so overwhelmed that I can't focus on anything. I've been trying really hard to train myself to just do one thing at a time over the last few weeks and I'm getting a lot more done and am a lot more effective at my job now.

What are some things you're doing to help with your focus?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
My attention span doesn't seem to have changed, but my tolerance for stuff I'm not interested in has gone down.

For example, if I run into boring shit in a show, I'll drop it pretty quickly. When I was younger, I may have tolerated it for longer to see if it would get better later, but these days I just have way less patience for it.

I said shorter in the poll, but this is actually a good way to put it. I have no patience for stuff that bores me and will definitely now alt tab and refresh Era or or pull out my phone, or something, if I'm waiting even a minute or two on something or someone, where in the past I would've had the patience not to distract myself, but if it's something I'm really interested in and enjoying I can still stay focused on it for hours.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Longer for things I care about. Shorter for things that don't grab my attention. Just don't want to waste my time on things I don't enjoy.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
What are some things you're doing to help with your focus?
Some of it won't apply to everyone. I oversee production and design work at my shop, and I've basically instituted a rule that you can only come into my office with one problem at a time, so that I can actually focus on that problem and fix it. It also allows me to basically have a to-do list that is only 1-3 projects long, which is way more solvable than when I was just letting people come in and tell me everything that they needed done, and every day I'd get a new to-do list of a dozen things or more. That would get so daunting that I'd let it all stack up and then try to get things done in bursts either after hours, or in the morning before everyone else gets to work.

I've also made a point of listening to headphones when I'm in a really productive zone. That has a few benefits for me in that it provides a low level distraction that is enough that it keeps me from checking Era and reddit every five minutes, and it cuts down on the amount of small talk that I get from my shop foreman and our salesperson, because they know if the headphones are on, I'm working.

I'm finding that tackling one task at a time provides something akin to a runner's high once you get going. I'll get a design done, and I'm hungry for what's next, rather than being so overwhelmed by the twenty sticky notes on my desk, all of which are equally important projects, that I struggle to pick the next thing to do. By making a point of figuring out the things that distract me, and trying to control them more, we're back in a much more productive state, I'm working harder, and enjoying the job more.

Apr 10, 2018
I feel like it's a combination of both. I'm definitely guilty of picking up my phone and checking IG or whatever if there's a MOMENT of downtime. At the same time I think about how much youtube I watch that will be two dudes talking about guitar pedals for an hour, or a guy walking through the controls of a synth for 30 minutes, or a 30 minute vid about knife skills for cooking, etc.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Playing Fifa on the TV, while watching NFL on the Tablet, while listening to a podcast on the phone does stuff to you, you know?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is a lot shorter simply because entertainment is just so cheap and abundant.

It's likely due to smart phones or that I just have far too many video games in my backlog or that instant streaming services just have so much damn content.

Feels like this really started in the early 2010s when all three of these things really blew up.

So entertainment itself seems disposable in a way that it didn't use to before. I was talking with a friend about how we were nostalgic for CDs back in the day because the act of putting a CD on felt like more of an event that demanded more attention. Now you can switch songs on Apple Music every second if you want. I still feel like I'm living in the future because of it but at the same time I'm often mentally queuing up the next 4 songs and want the current song to hurry up and get over with.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Shorter. I am actively trying to counter this though, a LOT is lost with a shorter attention span.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Shorter, much much shorter. As a kid I could focus on one thing for hours. Now I want to multi-task no matter what I'm doing. My job reinforces this, I move between short tasks and have to be monitoring my mailbox and service queue all the time.

Kounce

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Not sure if it's changed because of my age, but my phone distracts the fuck out of me. I can still watch long ass movies, can still sit my ass down and read for hours, don't play games as much, but my phone does take me away from just solely focusing on one thing. Feel like smashing my phone at times, yeah yeah do not disturb, but that just puts off the disturbance.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Yes and no. Intellectually, I've come to enjoy absorbing enormous chunks of artistic or documentary expression in a single sitting. For instance, I count Reitz's Heimat I (15.5 hours), Kobayashi's The Human Condition (9.5 hours), Tarr's Sátántangó (7.5 hours), and Bondarchuk's War and Peace (7 hours) among my very favorite films, and have happily absorbed at least the latter two in a single sitting before. Same for music, I can take in an hour-long symphony or other musical work, no problem.

Reading seems to be a challenge at times, though. When I was kid, I could read for hours and hours without respite as easily as breathing. This despite having teachers and school principals certain that I had ADD. As I've gotten older, and this condition has remained untreated (for complicated reasons), it's become harder to "lock in" for very long during a session of reading, particularly for fiction. I've read 1,000+ page fiction works many times in my life (currently working on Rolland's Jean-Christophe), but it's been years since I've found this task remotely easy.

Non-fiction seems a bit easier, perhaps because I don't need to be quite as immersed in order to absorb what I need. Still, I have my struggles there too and I hope I can stick with my current read all the way through (which happens to be another massive tome). I have too many books in my ever-growing collection lying uncompleted.

One of these days, I really need to get this ADD treated. Sigh

Edit: Oh, another thing that's changed: as a kid, my ability to concentrate was so intense, I could block out the distraction of a tornado descending around me without breaking my focus. In fact, I used to much prefer playing or humming or whistling music while reading, as it only seemed to enhance my concentration. These days though, I get easily distracted by ambient noise, unfortunately. If I don't have a quiet environment in which to read, I cannot maintain for very long.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise

This is exactly my situation. I can pay attention to the stuff I like just fine, I just have no tolerance for bullshit.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Noticeably shorter. Now, I sometimes have a hard time sitting through slow films without multitasking.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Definitely shorter. I have much less patience for things I find bad or annoying. Honestly, it's tough for me to even get through writing out a post before I lose inte

giphy.gif

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Longer baby! I've been working on focusing and completing tasks in recent years and have made improvments.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
My attention span is apparently so short now that I didn't even fully read all the responses to the poll and had to change my vote.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Longer when I'm stoned.

Shorter when I'm sober. It's why I smoke when I play video games or read a book. I focus more and my mind wanders less.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I am on the internet, I have a pretty low attention span. I can't stand videos where people just stare at the camera and talk without ever getting to the point. The ReportoftheWeek guy absolutely drives me up a wall in that regard.

I have trouble reading long articles on the web as well -- something about it just feels excruciating. When I click "PageDown" once or twice and realize that I'm not even 1/3 of the way through a story I get very antsy. I think there's something about the act of having to manually scroll through that adds to the anxiousness.

If you give me a book or a magazine though, I'm fine. I have no real problem with slow-paced films except for the ones that are aggressively padding their run time.

Oct 25, 2017
Longer but in a bad way.
I tunnel vision more and forget about other stuff but I can stay concentrated on one task better.

Is that longer?
I don't know man.