• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Yoshi's Crafted World a first-party Nintendo game?

• Yes, despite the fact that it was developed by Good-Feel, an external studio.

Votes: 479 69.6%
  • No, it was developed by an external studio so it's a second-party title.

Votes: 175 25.4%
  • I was going to answer yes but wasn't aware it was made by an external studio and am second-guessing.

Votes: 26 3.8%
  • Other (please elaborate in a post)

Votes: 8 1.2%

• Total voters

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
First party IP, developed by a third party studio.

I don't know what second party is.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we need the term second party. If ot is funded/produced/published by Nintendo, it's a first party game imo.

Same with Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, Kirby, Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3, Samus Returns etc.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Again, it seems useful to me to distinguish between "Platform holder has right to the game and developed it" and "platform holder has rights to the game but an external studio developed it."

Or looking at it another way, I don't a reason to lump scenarios both into one category when they're clearly unique.
I'm kind of blown away I need to explain this, but to differentiate games made by different creators. Let's say hypothetically Nintendo hired an outside studio to make the next Mario they way they had Capcom develop the GBC Zelda games. You don't think there's value in distinguishing the Nintendo-developed titles from the externally developed ones? That's all first and second party
If there's value in distinguishing who developed it, then just say who developed it. Nintendo/Not Nintendo is a rather odd and vague classification to make, especially once you consider Nintendo frequently directs and produces externally developed games; their devs are still involved.

It's not like all first party studios are equal, either. You can perceive differences between games developed by EPD and, say, Monolith Soft. Lumping Galaxy with Xenoblade is about as useful as lumping Samus Returns with Smash Ultimate.

As an aside, these are not terms coined by the gaming industry. Second party software is already defined to mean software provided by the user, even though game platforms tend to lock this out.

Edit: reading that last line of your OP, do you consider only internal studios to be first party? In that case, I don't really know why EPD/not EPD wouldn't suffice for you. Personally, I feel this is definition just falls apart when you consider Sony's model.
As long as it is fully published and funded by a platform holder (Nintendo, SIE or Microsoft), it is the only distinction that exist and that is officially recognized, whether it is made internally or by an external partner.
That distinction doesn't matter. Bayonetta 2, a Platinum Games-developed title using SEGA-owned IP, is a first party release for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First party and third party are most often used to refer to the publisher, not the developer. Nintendo published the title and owns all the rights to it. While it's correct to make a distinction between it and games developed in-house at Nintendo's own studios it isn't relevant to the whole first party/third party metric. Second party isn't a real term.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I know Second Party isn't supposedly a real term, but it's always made sense to me, so stuff like Crafted World, Luigi's Mansion 2, Fire Emblem, I like to call Second Party in my head. Made by a Nintendo-owned studio, but not by one of Nintendo's in-house studios, like EAD. People are going to hate me for this, but if you were to apply this to Sony, stuff like Puppeteer, Gravity Rush, and Astro Bot would be first party, while games like Last of Us, Horizon, and God of War would be second party. Though it isn't a real term, so not a big deal, but that is basically the idea behind it.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Jun 22, 2018
There really isn't any gray area. Tomb Raider was a third party game because a third party publisher published it. That doesn't change during development. The exclusivity or how many developers MS sent to work on it is irrelevant. Removing that needless complexity (which doesn't really matter anyway) suddenly makes things a lot simpler.

The question you should be asking is "Why do you we need a specific label for a very specific circumstance where a game is published by a third party but also happens to be part of a timed exclusivity agreement but the platform holder also assisted with development in some capacity but the game is also launching on PC"?
Except you're wrong. When it released on Xbox during that exclusivity window it was published by Microsoft, not a third party.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Second party. A first-party IP developed by an outside studio with a close relationship with Nintendo. I mean, I know a lot of people find the second party term confusing and don't like to use it, which is fine, but that's the definition. If you want to call it a first-party game, go ahead, but if you specifically say Yoshi's Crafted World is not a second party game, you are wrong.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Second party. A first-party IP developed by an outside studio with a close relationship with Nintendo. I mean, I know a lot of people find the second party term confusing and don't like to use it, which is fine, but that's the definition. If you say Yoshi's Crafted World is not a second party game, you are wrong.
That's not the definition. I can call an apple a orange too.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
=P

It doesn't look like anyone's saying that.

I was saying that in the thread that originated this one

That being said, Nintendo did kinda owned the videogame rights for Goldeneye for videogames when they made it and Sony partially owned the videogame rights for spider-man when they made it. Not exclusivaly, not trully owning, but they owned in the sense that at the time, they payed to have it and do stuff with it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's fair to call a game first party if the plattaform holder provided more than funding and advertising. It's like star fox zero, myamoto designed, but platinum implemented.

That might not be exactly the case with astral chain or w101, where Nintendo basically just payed for it, even if they own the ip.

Also, guys, we can make up term however we want, ok? There is no jail for using the term second party, so if everyone understood, use it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fair to call a game first party if the plattaform holder provided more than funding and advertising. It's like star fox zero, myamoto designed, but platinum implemented.

That might not be exactly the case with astral chain or w101, where Nintendo basically just payed for it, even if they own the ip.

Also, guys, we can make up term however we want, ok? There is no jail for using the term second party, so if everyone understood, use it.

Wonderful 101 is in a weird place. Nintendo still owns the trademark, which is why all content related to the remaster has to include the word "Remastered" so Platinum can release it.
Though recently Nintendo fully bought up the Astral Chain IP. No idea what that means, possibly a way to let other developers work on the IP.

On-topic: Of course Yoshi's Crafted World is a first party title.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
There's no confusion there because Microsoft owned Bungie back then. They were a first party studio.

Ehhh not true, they split in 2007 before Reach was released, possibly 3 too.

2nd party isn't an actual term in the industry. You use the term 1st and 3rd party for who owns the IP, developer, and publisher.

But 99.9% of the time a first party game is whoever owns the IP.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there is a distinction to be made whether or not a game is made by an internal studio or contracted to an outside studio but I don't have any strong feelings one way or another what the labels should be. Also something to consider is that a game can be developed internally but have components outsourced to other outside entities so it can get more complicated.

MrMiyamoto

Oct 31, 2017
It's as first-party as the Capcom Zelda games, the Bandai Namco Smash Bros / Mario Kart games, the Camelot Mario Sports games or the previously third-party Next Level Games Luigi's Mansion games.

Nov 2, 2017
See, I don't understand this mindset at all. If someone asked "Wow, cool table, did you build that yourself?" I wouldn't think "Why are you asking me to specify this worthless distinction? Either way I own it." I would just tell them whether I built the table or not.

Obviously they're interested in who's responsible for the craftwork of it, not who owns it.

I'm kind of blown away I need to explain this, but to differentiate games made by different creators. Let's say hypothetically Nintendo hired an outside studio to make the next Mario they way they had Capcom develop the GBC Zelda games. You don't think there's value in distinguishing the Nintendo-developed titles from the externally developed ones? That's all first and second party are, shorthand for internally and externally developed.

Why are ther only 1st and 3rd person games?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
2nd party is nonsense. Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Paper Mario, Pokemon, Super Mario RPG, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Resistance: Fall of Man, WaroWare, Golden Sun, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Golf, Luigi's Mansion 2-3, Infamous, etc etc etc are all first party games. You learn absolutely nothing by delineating them as second party, for any worthwhile information to be made about them you have to look at them on a case by case basis.

As for value in distinguishing who made a game, that should be investigated on a game by game basis. Because it's pretty dumb to look at a franchise like Luigi's Mansion where you can say 1 and a future 4 are first party, but 2 and 3 aren't even though they're made by the people who will inevitably make a 4. Or the first two Infamous games weren't first party, but the third one magically was.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Because saying a game is both 1st party and 3rd party to a single platform is a contradiction.

no it isn't. It's just expressing the realities of the publishing situation, which is the entire point of the first/third party distinction in the first place. The reason it sounds weird is because of all of these preconceived and unnecessary complexities people (like many in this thread) have attached to them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People like to make up rules on what makes a game first party or third party, but it just comes down who the publisher is.

If it was published by the console manufacturer, its first party.

If it was published by a different publisher, its third party.

Sometimes you'll see things like Destiny and COD in Japan where Sony and Microsoft will publish them--this is typically just a distribution deal.

And then there are cases like Minecraft Dungeons and the upcoming MLB the Show where Microsoft and Sony will be both a first party and third party publisher.

Second party has never been an official thing.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
You know, I definitely always thought second parties were a real thing, since Rare in the N64 days, and I even voted accordingly on the pool, but reading through this thread has convinced me otherwise. Everyone's made very solid cases for why it should only be first or third parties

Jun 22, 2018
People in here claiming it's based on who owns the IP, others on who owns the developer, others on who published the game.

Lots of games change between 1st and 3rd party depending on which of those you think is right.

It's clear there is no single official accepted definition for the terms. Which is why there's constant confusion and debate about it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Second-party is a thing that was largely made up in the N64 era when Nintendo wanted to take ownership of games as made specifically for their console with oversight from them. Gaming magazines then ran with it and started calling stuff like Shadows of the Empire second-party, despite the fact it was a third-party game.

At some point the gaming community just started using it for any game that was published by a platform holder but not developed by them, even for games where that wasn't true, like Conker's Bad Fur Day.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The first party is the platform holder, which sells its consoles to the second party, which is you, the consumer. The third party is a company outside this relationship that pays the first party to muscle in on it.

The term second-party only exists because people who don't know what they're talking about thought there was a grey area between first- and third-party and therefore that must be the second-party. You really only see it in gaming because people are obsessed with list wars and categorising everything. In reality, there are first-party companies and third-party companies and lots of complicated arrangements between them because that's how business and licensing works.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread feels like it's just a set up to list/console wars

given that "first party/third party" are listed on companies' financial records, I'm sure there's some legal definition to make sure there's a rigid definition

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People in here claiming it's based on who owns the IP, others on who owns the developer, others on who published the game.

Lots of games change between 1st and 3rd party depending on which of those you think is right.

It's clear there is no single official accepted definition for the terms. Which is why there's constant confusion and debate about it.

there is a single official accepted definition, it's just that, like with so many other things, ResetEra is not the place to find it. The confusion is 100% self inflicted.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I don't disagree with Yoshi being first party but "Nintendo owns the IP so it's a first party game" does that apply to Mario + Rabbids too? I've never really thought about the distinction before but that's a Ubisoft game using Nintendo IP (and obviously a fucking ton of Nintendo oversight) so is it a third party game using first party IP? Or is it just a whole hog first party game?
I always thought the discourse surrounded Mario + Rabbids to be very funny.

Many on ERA claimed that the success of the game was proof that 3rd party games would be successful on Switch, lol.

Like what kid is going to truly understand the distinction between a Mario spinoff made by Nintendo vs. a 3rd party?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Who has defined it and where can the definition be found?

its been defined by the businesses that use it and to who it is important. Sony and Nintendo and Microsoft consider any game they publish to be a first party game, regardless of exclusivity or IP ownership or whatever other needless caveats or qualifiers gaming fans have attached to those over the years. Conversely they consider any game published by an outside party on their platform to be third party. That's it. That people have taken something like this and made it more complicated than even the businesses that use it is sort of ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
If the game is (c) Nintendo, it is a first-party game.

972437-yoshi-s-crafted-world-nintendo-switch-screenshot-title-screen.jpg

Note that games like Mario Rabbids or Mario & Sonic are (c) Ubisoft and (c) SEGA, respectively. They are third-party games using a Nintendo IP. I suppose technically Ubisoft could replace every Mario reference to Splinter Cell references in Mario + Rabbids and publish it as Splinter Cell + Rabbids on PS5 (SEGA sorta did it with a "Sonic at the Olympic Games" mobile game).

Of course, a first-party game can be developed:
- mostly internally, by Nintendo EPD itself (e.g. Zelda BotW, Odyssey, Splatoon, Ring Fit);
- mostly externally by another company owned by Nintendo (Monolith) or with a long history of working with Nintendo, to the point it is de facto a "Nintendo team" (HAL, IntSys);
- mostly externally by a third-party partner (Platinum).

Since there is formally nothing setting HAL and IntSys apart from Platinum or Good-Feel, it's hard to tell when a game falls in the second case or in the third case. And you also have games developed by external companies directed by someone from EPD (Star Fox Zero, Samus Returns). But that's the muddy nature of the keiretsu.

And then you have games developed and owned by other companies but published by Nintendo in some regions, like Layton during the DS and Octopath in EU/NA, or Epic Mickey Wii and Rayman Legends Wii U in Japan.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
a game is funded, produced and published by a platform holder ---> it's a first party game

i don't know why people make it so complicated sometimes. being made by a first party studio has never been a requirement for a first party game.
1/5ths of the forum thinks second party is a legit term

lol
'Second party' isn't even a real term.
Who voted second party...
Real talk: "second-party" was an incredibly stupid and meaningless term when it was first coined and has had absolutely no value beyond acting as some kind of gotcha online that a platform holder is somehow not doing enough to support their own platform by hiring third-party companies to bolster their support, as if that money could have been used to get another game from their internal development teams while ignoring the realities that their teams are already working on one project or another. It's a term that's needed to be completely eradicated, yet it persists like some kind of cockroach.
Why is it that people always make these weird exceptions when it comes to Nintendo games? I never see it done for anyone else. Yes, it's a 1st party Nintendo game. It doesn't have to be made internally nor even by a studio that they own. Yes, this would mean stuff like Bayonetta 2, Astral Chain, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 are Nintendo games
Second party is a worthless term. It's a distinction without a difference. It was made by another developer? Ok? So? If I hire someone to build a table for me it's still my table because I paid for it and I own it. I don't have to build it with my own two hands for it to be mine. First and third party are the only distinctions needed.
Yes it is.

"Second party developer" isn't a real thing. It's "third party" because the "first party" is Nintendo, the "second party' is you, the consumer.
"Second Party" is not an official term. It was created to refer and distinguish games not made in-house but stil published by the platform holder.
Second party doesn't really exist.

Someone better alert Sony that they're using totally made up and totally never-actually-used terms in their official press releases.

dzkoQCs.png

Or that Gio Corsi managed to land himself a made-up job in a made-up department.

ofAHZ0t.png

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I always liked to think of it as Second-party even though that isn't the technical term. I think Reggie would consider it that way as well when he was asked why Nintendo struggles with third-party.