• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If not for disk 2 it would be the best Squaresoft game ever made. I'm a huge fan of the whole xeno series and hope monolith can recover the IP or licence it back for remakes someday.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Xenogears is one of my top RPGs of ALL time. The story(especially the story), music, and characterss are all soo damn goood. Tried Xenosaga and was never hooked. I always dream of a remake. Just make it the similar like the xenoblade series.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I played Xenogears when it first came out, but was busy with an MMORPG at the time and didn't devote enough attention to it, so got lost in the story about 40 hours in and gave up. Finally went back to it for a proper play-through three years ago and hated it. It's got a terrible translation (for god's sake, they couldn't even have been bothered to look up the proper spelling of siebzehn), behind only Wild Arms 2 and Legend of Dragoon. I found the soundtrack really repetitive. It was good, but the same songs were used over and over and over again, which became grating over 80+ hours. I didn't like the sprite work; they were too low-res, and the pixelated scaling looked terrible. The second disc was awful: an hour or two of reading a poorly-translated wall of text, and then no chance to prepare for some major battles. Can't say the story was all that memorable, since I can't even remember what it was about anymore. Not something I have a desire to go back to ever again.

I thought Xenosaga was unique, but nothing all that special to me. I hated the combat in the second game. It required so much planning and prep-work, that it was taking me 15-20 minutes each for random battles in the final dungeon. I was much more attached to the characters in the series, which made it easier to devote my attention to and follow along. I enjoyed the series overall.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

we stan this young god

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I didn't fall asleep playing Xenogears, that's for sure.

Xenosaga has some of the slowest paced cutscenes I've ever seen.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Gears has a plot that's better for the most part IMO, but Xenosaga 3 has much better gameplay and combat. The combat system in Gears is kinda simplistic and not great and only becomes somewhat interesting during Gears fights since you can't just spam deathblows every round.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The story of Xenogears is probably the best I've ever experienced in a videogame ever. I truly wish the game would be remade so that the major story points left in text for disc to could become actual gameplay.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
I love both, but the truth is, Xenogears manages to do in one game more than Xenosaga does in three. That's what it comes down to, Xenogears is the whole package, even if the compromises to make it happen weren't pretty.

Still, I think Xenosaga has more refined worldbuilding and vastly better gameplay compared to Xenogears (except maybe for the most tedious battles of 2), and Shion is an extremely interesting, if polarizing protagonist. The rest of the main cast is, on the whole, more developed than the one in Xenogears, at least on paper.

Ultimately, I think a Xenosaga remake could rival a Xenogears remake: both have truly great concepts, it's all about the execution. Hopefully I'll get to play at least one of the two in my lifetime...

Last edited:

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Xenogears is my favourite game of all time.

Xenosaga on the other hand, I couldn't even finish the first game. Lacked all the magic of XG.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people really oversell how much Gears cast is better than Saga. Outside of Fei and Elly, most characters in the party are really just there once you are done with their arcs and even Citan mostly just serves as exposition central. Bart is fine. Ironically Margie is way better developed than characters like Rico or Emeralda. The game does have two fantastic leads and a great cast of villains, but that's a series' stable except maybe XB1.

In comparison even Jin (Who is in the series for 2 games) and Ziggy who are Saga two least developed characters are way ahead in development compared to pretty much anyone in the cast of Gears except Fei and Elly. The party members in general interact with each other way more in Saga than in Gears too and Shion/KOS-MOS relationship is pretty unique as far JRPG go.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I feel like people really oversell how much Gears cast is better than Saga. Outside of Fei and Elly, most characters are really just there once you are done with their arcs and even Citan mostly just serves as exposition central. Bart is fine. Ironically Margie is way better developed than characters like Rico or Emeralda. The game does have two fantastic leads and a great cast of villains, but that's a series stable except maybe XB1.

In comparison even Jin (Who is in the series for 2 games) and Ziggy who are Saga two least developed characters are way ahead in development compared to pretty much anyone in the cast of Gears except Fei and Elly.
Yeah, I've got to agree with this. If there's one thing Saga did better than Gears it was treating its cast more equally. Ziggy and Jin atleast had some closure and were relevant in Saga 3, Rico pretty much has no arc once Kislev is done in Gears. The whole plot point with him being the Kaiser's son is never even mentioned again.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I love Xenogears. I love the Xenosaga trilogy. I prefer the Xenosaga trilogy and its characters overall.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Characters, character development, story, soundtrack, artstyle, etc. The list is long. Xenogears is way better.

And don't forget gameplay. I don't think I have enjoyed any saga combat system as much as the gears system. Saga felt weaker in all regards. I some how ended up disliking characters and designs (which fluctuated each entry). Finally story wise I prefer gears over all three saga entries. Again imo Saga is decent on its own but fails when put in comparison to gears. I know saga has its fans, but I feel so strongly about this I am not sure if we could agree on any game if you seriously think saga is better than gears.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears at the time of release was incredible and no Xeno game since has come close to giving me the same feelings. Music, story, setting, characters .... just awesome and unique, it felt powerful and cohesive

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
unpopular opinion/hot take but xenogears was a hot mess of a game. though narrow expectations through a 16/32 bit jrpg mindset it ranges from decent to brilliant

game reminds me of when i took a script writing class when i was 18 and had some epic multi-trilogy space opera in my head and condensed it to 50 pages and teacher was all wtf are you high or something

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
If I was dying, one of my dying wishes would be to see Xenogears get the FFVII treatement (but not episodic) or at the very least disk 2 with the same care put into as disk 1. I'm not dying however, and it's still a wish of mine. Xenogears is in my top 5 RPGs of all time.

I do think Xenosaga has the best character in the Xeno series of games (KOS-MOS). Xenosaga as a whole I also enjoyed a lot, but it doesn't reach Xenogears heights.

Nov 1, 2017
I wish I had played Xenogears when it came out. I gave the game 5 tries but just couldn't get into it. :(

Hearing that Saga is regarded as lesser than Gears is really disappointing.

Playing and loving Xenoblade 2 had got me interested in Xenosaga but I dunno now...

Ender

Oct 29, 2017
Gears is way better in story, battle mechanics and scope. One of my favorite games even with all its faults.

Saga was to clunky and lacked the touch that Gears had. And I was under the impression that it would be more of a setup to Gears but it didn't happen as I remember it but I have not played them since they released.

Can't say, idiots never bothered releasing either in Europe...

Seriously, I want to have them so badly, but fuck me is Saga III crazy expensive :( [/spoilers]

Thanks for info, I did not know about that. Need to make sure I still got my copy in the basement :)

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I wish I had played Xenogears when it came out. I gave the game 5 tries but just couldn't get into it. :(

Playing and loving Xenoblade 2 had got me interested in Xenosaga but I dunno now...
Xenosaga is one of my favorite RPG trilogies. Definitely give it a go if you're interested

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Xenogears is certainly better than Xenosaga Episode I and especially II, but Episode III was one of the PS2's best JRPGs and I think the argument could go either way there.

Getting full enjoyment of Xenosaga Episode III is definitely dependent on having played and been really invested in the story throughout the first two games, though, so either way Xenogears is still the best standalone title of them all. I don't think some aspects of Xenogears have aged particularly well, but it's a must-play either way. Excellent, one-of-a-kind game.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Having never played Xenogears - but interested in doing so on my VITA - is this about where it should be ranked?

ADZmJWt.png

(GameFaqs user scores)

EDIT: ok, wow, I'm sorry if that image is huge on your displays. It is on mine and I don't know why.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
gears is equal to vp,ct and ff7 as all time greats despite being half a game
it fills an unique spot in the jrpg pantheon for the overall tones it covers which is hard to say about its successors for whatever reason

saga exists so they can put kos mos in project x zone

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
One day, I'll finish gears. I always get a decent portion in then get distracted and never finish. Eventhough I enjoyed much of what i played.

I think if you want a space opera like story, saga is something to check out. I will fully admit that it has it's weaknesses, but I think as a whole it's a pretty great series. Honestly, looking at some of the things said in the thread in regards to saga, feels like a bunch of hot takes.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
I feel like people really oversell how much Gears cast is better than Saga. Outside of Fei and Elly, most characters in the party are really just there once you are done with their arcs and even Citan mostly just serves as exposition central. Bart is fine. Ironically Margie is way better developed than characters like Rico or Emeralda. The game does have two fantastic leads and a great cast of villains, but that's a series' stable except maybe XB1.

In comparison even Jin (Who is in the series for 2 games) and Ziggy who are Saga two least developed characters are way ahead in development compared to pretty much anyone in the cast of Gears except Fei and Elly. The party members in general interact with each other way more in Saga than in Gears too and Shion/KOS-MOS relationship is pretty unique as far JRPG go.
This is something I agree with. While Fei, Elly, and Bart are developped throughout the story, the remaining cast members remain go basically untouched after their initial arc. Part of me wonders the degree to which this is due to Disk 2's rough development, but it is undeniably a problem. the great writing for the aforementioned 3 and the villains more than makes up for it, but the blade games (even X) are much more balanced with their characters in this respect imo.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Agree with some posters that Xenogears just downright has the best story of any video game in existence (not cast wise though). Soundtrack is great too.
Combat mechanics though, while should be engaging enough for first timers, it's actually really shallow once you see the full picture, especially foot combat. The deathblows has practically zero depth and while they tried to implement some depth with the Combo mechanics, it ended up not being needed 99.9% if not 100% of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard for me to really say why I think Xenogears is the better game, considering I think the characters/setting/music is better in Saga. Might just be the story and pacing, although I do really like the story in Saga as well. I'm wondering if those saying Gears was better on character development actually played past Saga 1, because even the weakest characters got more development than half the cast in Gears. Although I do think Fei and Elly were significantly better main characters than Shion and Kos-Mos...and Allen.

Last edited:

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Yes, it is. Xenogear's plot is far more entertaining making it the better experience, despite the fact that I think saga did characters and worldbuilding better. Xenosaga is also more incomplete than gears which is incomplete itself

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Disc 2 is basically a visual book. You can't say the game is better than others when half of it is just not an actual full game.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears at the time of release was incredible and no Xeno game since has come close to giving me the same feelings. Music, story, setting, characters .... just awesome and unique, it felt powerful and cohesive
Yup, still one of the most memorable games of all time for me.
I've loved all the games (least favorite would probably be Saga II and even then I still enjoyed it)

If I was dying, one of my dying wishes would be to see Xenogears get the FFVII treatement (but not episodic) or at the very least disk 2 with the same care put into as disk 1. I'm not dying however, and it's still a wish of mine. Xenogears is in my top 5 RPGs of all time.

I do think Xenosaga has the best character in the Xeno series of games (KOS-MOS). Xenosaga as a whole I also enjoyed a lot, but it doesn't reach Xenogears heights.
Pretty much this.
She's my favorite too. Also Xenosaga I and III still have that magic and at times get rather close to getting back to those heights, at least to me, and I loved them a ton for that, with XS III being the whole package again where they really nailed everything, but not quite as packed Xenogears, but it was big in its own way thanks to the series being an awesome space epic. Saga II was the worst to me and I remember being hard on it also due to not being ready for the art style shift especially at the time and battles that I didn't like very much at all but it still had a very good smaller piece of the Xenosaga story in it.

Last edited:

Mokujin

Oct 31, 2017
Xenogears is one of my three favourite games ever, the thing is that the game has a terrible flaw but even then still remains a master piece for me.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The Xenosaga games always felt like a giant consolation prize to me. Xenogears is, in my opinion, on an entirely different level.

unpopular opinion/hot take but xenogears was a hot mess of a game. though narrow expectations through a 16/32 bit jrpg mindset it ranges from decent to brilliant.

Oh, it is a hot mess. I think it is a great game, but it is definitely all over the place. I am pretty sure even the biggest fans will agree with you on that point.

Xenogears is mostly liked by old people that just can't let go.

I always enjoy reading a salty, hot take.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How much do you like 70 minute cut scenes?

Xenogears & Xenosaga are both terrible about this. Xenosaga is more blatant about it, but Xenogears has plenty of instances where you watch several minutes of cutscene, then play a barely interactive sequence for a minute or two, then watch more cutscenes, repeat.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
At the time I was watching my friend play a lot of JRPGs on PS1, but I recall enjoying the style of the game a ton. This song is etched in my memory:

'

He picked up Xenosaga on PS2 and I spent a good chunk of time watching that as well, and it felt nothing alike.

I'm curious for those that have played them all where Xenoblade (1 or 2) fits into the rankings.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My preference for Xenogears makes me wonder what kind of process existed at Square at the time, maybe they were able to edit and condense some of these ideas into a better product that Monolith no longer had once they became their own entity? Being surrounded by other JRPG legends in other dev teams that you could leverage or having experienced genre EPs that could give better high level guidance ... I dunno. Back them there was something about the Squaresoft brand that gave all their games a certain base quality

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I love Xenosaga to death(even II which is something hahah) one of my favorite series.
Xenogears is awesome too so go and play it!!

Peerless

Sep 10, 2018
For those who have played both, how would you compare Xenosaga III to Xenogears? I remember thinking Xenosaga 1 was ok, skipped Xenosaga II, but I loved Xenosaga III. Are they on the same level or is Xenogears much better than it?

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
For those who have played both, how would you compare Xenosaga III to Xenogears? I remember thinking Xenosaga 1 was ok, skipped Xenosaga II, but I loved Xenosaga III. Are they on the same level or is Xenogears much better than it?
Honestly if you loved Saga there is no reason you shouldn't love Gears. It's more, to quote Takahashi himself, "pastoral", it's also more "shounen 90 mecha anime" compared to Saga (Which isn't a criticism, it's just the atmosphere I feel like it has going on) but it's pretty much features all the tropes Takahashi loved and later re-inserted and expanded into the other games (Which is why I think that or XB1 are good starting points for the Xeno-series).

Xenosaga ep. III also has a lot of Gear references and playing Xenogears will give you a new insight on the ending.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears is one of my favorite games of all time and still is the best Takahashi work imo.

Xenogears > Xenosaga Ep3 > XBC1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> other Xeno games

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Xenosaga III did an honestly amazing job of turning the series around and finishing it up as best as it could. There was a noticeable attempt to align the two series as much as they could without Square suing I guess.

I rate it very close to Gears, but Gears wins for the sheer scope of the story.