• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I realize that's a pretty loaded question, because that answer might depend on which artists draws him, or how he's portrayed on film or TV.

But, in GENERAL, is Wolverine considered attractive?

My first exposure to him without his mask, I was surprised he wasn't traditionally handsome but was presented as... well... this dude.
Wolvie1.2.jpg

My friend described his look as "squinty feral goblin troll" and for many years that's kind of how he looked. He had the flowing side-chops, the weird devil-horn hair points, and often a widow's peak that defied logic, physics, and good taste.
xmen98p02.jpg

He had a face of weathered granite, thick bushy eyebrows, often squat proportions, and the hair only got more and more ridiculous with time.
wolverins-hair1.jpg

3978571-wolvhair5.jpg

You can feel the swerve towards making him a bit more traditionally handsome when they cast Hugh "Sexiest Man of the Year" Jackman as the character for the X-men movies... and so many people loved it, loved him, and loved his portrayal.

While Logan's still mostly a hairy, feral loner in the comics, you can see him get a bit more ruggedly handsome.
latest

Regardless, though, Logan has ALWAYS been THE Ladies' Man of the team. He's hooked up with practically more women in the Marvel universe than any other hero. There's just something about the pint-sized grump that is simply irresistible.

Which brings us back to the question... Is Wolverine considered attractive? Either in-universe or out? Do YOU find him attractive?

...This topic brought to you by a long work day and this stupid question being posed around my office.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's suppose to look attractive. Maybe for ppl that like that gruff look

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk though:

Next wolverine actor should be the right height and the right grufness without putting on a silly voice.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Originally he was supposed to be... let's say non-traditional looking as a superhero to say the least. Maybe not outright ugly, but kind of a sawed off little tough guy. And older than everyone else (except Banshee), even among the "all new" X-Men.

But after 40 years he's basically become sameface but with sideburns and stubble. And maybe that happened early-ish on.

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond first couple of initial appearances it was supposed to be more of a rough, roguish charm deal, and then obviously he just kind of got prettier overtime.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's a walking tank, maybe all that machismo and unstoppable-ness wears down his partners like adamantium through anything that isn't adamantium

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listening to his description on the official podcast, no. But hes built and confident, which probably goes a long way.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Didn't Claremont kind of freak out over how Dave Cockrum drew Wolverine for the first time without his mask because he felt Dave made him look twice as old as everyone else on the team, when they were ostensibly supposed to be a bunch of teenagers/indeterminate "young people"?

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Speaking of ultimate wolverine's bullshit, it's weird that they just made him an amoral monster like that was compelling characterization.
My man pushed a teenager down a pit to steal his girlfriend.
What, are you, like, asking for some kind of distinction or something to be drawn between "character who is bad-ass hero" and "complete fucking sociopath"? That's not how Ultimate Marvel rolled.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Squinty feral goblin troll" pic just looks like Daniel Day Lewis with a goofy haircut

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he was meant to be handsome when they first introduced him, but as his popularity grew so did you just had to make him handsome.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
how are you gonna call him the ladies man of the team with Scott on it

i am tired of this disrespect, my man locked Emma Frost down

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's supposed to be ugly but he's usually attractive, assuming you're into the rugged type.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
He's meant to be ugly and short, but instead Hugh Jackman because Hollywood...

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Of course he's attractive. He's in great shape and he's super confident without coming off as arrogant. And he has that whole heart-of-gold thing under the gruff exterior.

Plus he would always take young girls under his wing, mentoring them and just treating them like people, like he would anyone else, without condescending to them or secretly being up to any creeper perve shit. Growing up, he might have been the first example I ever saw of someone like that.