• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Poster is definitley a ripoff with a clear intent to trick people into thinking it's a TLoU film. Otherwise the film doesn't seem like it.
5064ff7e-8489-4e2c-b95f-38342cfbb3e7.png
I don't think Neil is in any position to laugh about this when Uncharted 4 stole concept art.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I know I'm always spot on. šŸ˜

You started off this thread with a lame gotcha attempt, then you whined about me not reading your post without actually responding to anything I wrote, then you asked about my ethnicity for some hilarious reason that probably sounded a lot smarter in your head, but once again failed to actually respond properly to anything that was written.

I think at this point you are incapable of forming anything resembling a coherent argument and I can't believe I wasted so much time responding to you.

We're done, or at least, I'm done. Feel free to keep going and maybe one day you'll actually make a point

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Poster is definitley a ripoff with a clear intent to trick people into thinking it's a TLoU film. Otherwise the film doesn't seem like it.

I don't think Neil is in any position to laugh about this when Uncharted 4 stole concept art.

Well, that was not Naughty Dog as a company purposefully ripping off Assassin's Creed. It was a tiny piece of art on the wall in the background of a single scene in the trailer for Uncharted.

This poster is a blatant and purposeful attempt at misleading less informed consumers.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's play a game.

Since you like being reductive, what's your favorite fictional IP.

I'll go with my favourite game, Hollow Knight, which is about a dying kingdom beset by a magical plague that turns its inhabitants into shambling zombies ruled by a divine king with a quartet of powerful knights. Also it's set in an interconnected world with a peaceful hub and when you die you have return to the place of your death to get all your money back.

Hollow Knight, a game built off the successes of other games, is not particularly original. Hollow Knight would not exist without Dark Souls, Super Metroid, and Symphony of the NIght. It has gripping gameplay, a compelling story, and other nice words, but it's as good as it is because other people have put in the work to create a foundation by which the game can exist in the first place.

TLOU wouldn't exist without, well, every zombie and Dadass work of fiction ever made. I just don't cry blood whenever someone brings the same point about Hollow Knight.

LMAO the salt Naughty Dog makes some people sweat is legendary and ridiculous at the same time.

Look I'm just going to ask you because you're here and responding: Why does any dislike of TLOU inevitably bring out nonsense like this post?

I've seen Hollow Knight gets criticized on this forum over its lack of guidance and high difficulty but I don't post like this in response. What's wrong with hating it?

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
What's special about 28 Days Later? Lol, they're just zombies (that run!). What's special about Dawn of the Dead? They're just zombies (that speak to the braindead nature of consumerism!). What's special about Train to Busan? They're just zombies (on a train!).

Everything is alike if you're that reductive. Most stories would kill for that one 'x, but...' element.

You can also throw up a billion similar surface-level works for just about anything. 28 Days Later? It's just Day of the Triffids lol! Blah blah, etc.
the one thing you brought up was the chance to a cure for a zombie like infection (the difference is its a fungus :O )...which what im saying is something we have seen a dozen times in zombie related media.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Yes, but it was quickly replaced before release and it wasn't going to be used as game promotion. Kind of a big difference there.
How was it not used for game promotion? It was litterally in one of the trailers. They took it out after people called it out and presumably due to Ubisoft's lawyers knocking on their door.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How was it not used for game promotion? It was litterally in one of the trailers. They took it out after people called it out and presumably due to Ubisoft's lawyers knocking on their door.

It was an artist that used an Ass Creed shot as a placeholder and forgot to remove it or probably didn't give a shit. Either way, I think it's pretty obvious how both situations differ considerably.

I don't see Neil getting too serious about it anyway.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Sorry, I meant it wasn't used for the sole purpose of promoting the game. The fact that it appeared in the trailer was the result of a careless dev who didn't check their assets properly before adding it to the game. It was then fixed and ND acknowledged their mistake.

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I watched What Still Remains the other day on Netflix and the background of that poster has nothing to do with the movie, and the movie is nothing like The Last of Us

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Well, that was not Naughty Dog as a company purposefully ripping off Assassin's Creed. It was a tiny piece of art on the wall in the background of a single scene in the trailer for Uncharted.

This poster is a blatant and purposeful attempt at misleading less informed consumers.
You say that like this poster was a group desicion by the people who made the film when realisticly it was probably soley on an investor/producer. Nobody involved in the film likely wants to be looked at as being in a knock off.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
You started off this thread with a lame gotcha attempt, then you whined about me not reading your post without actually responding to anything I wrote, then you asked about my ethnicity for some hilarious reason that probably sounded a lot smarter in your head, but once again failed to actually respond properly to anything that was written.

I think at this point you are incapable of forming anything resembling a coherent argument and I can't believe I wasted so much time responding to you.

We're done, or at least, I'm done. Feel free to keep going and maybe one day you'll actually make a point

This makes my point.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Now I just kinda want more movies to rip-off iconic game box art, like the one for Doom 1993.

I mean, this cover itself is a ripoff (not really, a reference) to movie posters from before. See Star Wars 1979, Army of Darkness, Moonraker, even national lampoon's vacation has this format.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Sorry, I meant it wasn't used for the sole purpose of promoting the game. The fact that it appeared in the trailer was the result of a careless dev who didn't check their assets properly before adding it to the game. It was then fixed and ND acknowledged their mistake.
Sorry, that was my bad. I reread it after and you worded it fine, I'm just tired and misunderstood you.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
WOAH IT HAS LULU ANTARIKSA AND COLIN O'DONOGHUE in it?! šŸ˜±

That's awesome!

I mean they were also in
SPOILER
and
SPOILER

I like how the names basically mean the same thing too.

Also not the first time TLoU was ripped off, the fungus monster in Maze Runner was straight out of TloU, even sounded the same.

The Road and some fungus documentary.

Planet Earth is
now "some fungus documentary" šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The poster is a blatant copy yes

Also the name cant be coincidental at all. It is just TOO similar.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The movie's name and title are obviously aping The Last Of Us, regardless of whether the plot itself does. You'd have to be willfully ignorant to see otherwise.

It has nothing to do with how original TLoU is itself.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The movie's name and title are obviously aping The Last Of Us, regardless of whether the plot itself does. You'd have to be willfully ignorant to see otherwise.

Exactly. Also, it's not like they're providing proof to the claim that people are calling TLOU a 100% original idea. It's so obvious what they actually mean by that.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all don't seem to understand the difference between a work being inspired by other works, and blatanlty copying. Just because a work isn't wholly original in concept itself doesn't mean it ripped off something that inspired it.

Wheras here, that poster is pretty fucking blatantly a ripoff, even if the plot isn't and just sounds like another generic virus movie.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with the topic but this thread went off the rails a while ago. Does anyone else have a problem with youtube videos linked on this site where you click on them to play and it just says "video unavailable"? It's driving me crazy.
Videos that have been monetized by music rights holders tend to also disable being able to play them while embedded.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People ITT acting like The Last of Us plot is peak originality.

Actually, the people you're refering to are agreeing with a movie poster looking like an obvious TLOU cover rip-off. It's actually other people bringing that narrative you mentioned up that hasn't even been suggested.

I'm sure the majority of TLOU fans are aware of all the inspirations ND took and there's no group of people in this thread suggesting otherwise.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

The title seems like a very generic one. Especially for the genre.

Edit: And after poking around the Facebook and Twitter for the film it looks like the poster in the OP is not the poster for the film. The one I see the account posting is the more sepiatone one that's been posted in this thread.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that poster is most definitely a blatant rip off but the movie doesn't seem to have much in common with TLOU aside from purely surface level set up stuff. The Wikipedia summary for it sure is... something alright.

lmao at the same tired shitposts about TLOU getting another airing though. Any excuse.

Xomon

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
User Warned: Drive-by Off-Topic Post
TLOU is such a terrible game. Horrible controls, overwrought emotionally manipulative storytelling... I would rather watch this supposed rip-off movie than play that overrated crap game again.