• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like we're pretending Lone Wolf and Cub by way of The Road is some kind of bastion of originality.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Now I just kinda want more movies to rip-off iconic game box art, like the one for Doom 1993.
doomcover.jpg

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
It's completely different, Ellie and Joel are walking away from the camera while the movie poster they're moving towards the poster. It's completely different.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
But the question that uh... remains: Is the movie any good? Anyone watched it? Now I'm curious. :)

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
ITT people rushing to shit on a game before understanding the issue, so SOP I guess.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First, those two things combined would be pretty original.

Two... What?

So many bad takes in this thread.

What do you mean 'what?'

Last of Us doesn't have a single original bone in its body. If it were a movie it'd be a bargain bin stocking filler and star Christian Slater.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And I'm laughing at the irony of The Last of Us having a claim over anything that's unique.
Who is saying TLOU was doing something unique or completely original? Man, people just love to come out of the woodwork to shit on ND at every opportunity.

I mean, there's some logic to the OP's question even: he saw a movie poster that very closely resembles TLOU's box art and wondered if the movie also closely resembled TLOU's plot, to which it has already been concluded that apart from the general setting, the plot is quite different.

Just because TLOU is a hodgepodge of references itself, it doesn't mean it's specific combination of references can't be copied as well.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who is saying TLOU was doing something unique or completely original? Man, people just love to come out of the woodwork to shit on ND at every opportunity.

I mean, there's some logic to the OP's question even: he saw a movie poster that very closely resembles TLOU's box art and wondered if the movie also closely resembled TLOU's plot, to which it has already been concluded that apart from the general setting, the plot is quite different.

Just because TLOU is a hodgepodge of references itself, it doesn't mean it's specific combination of references can't be copied as well.

I see a movie a poster too.

268x0w.jpg

Buildings on either side, man and young child on their own, big nice bold white font in capital letters, flooded streets, looking off into the distance because something is coming.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
poster is pretty much the same lol, the movie? i have no idea. tbh TLOU isnt this unique story with a special setting so calling it a blatant rip off is like calling it a blatant rip off of the entire genre.

Never watched the movie tho and probably never will

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Its like you only read the title

No

Not really

that no one read the OP

I didn't say no one read the title

when in fact its you who didn't read lmao.

And that's just not true

OP pointing out a poster that's a very blatant ripoff and then asking if the movie is a ripoff too leading to some people just reading the title and going "lol tlou original lol" isn't the gotcha you think it is. Unless you think that being inspired by something and plagiarizing something are the same thing

Lunatious

Dec 18, 2018
The poster is already pretty bad but the name being pretty much the same thing is hillarious. The movie itself doesn't seem to ape TLoU in any way looking at the premise, but someone in that marketing team must've felt "inspired", at the very least.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
so like zombies? not like we havent had the hopes for cures before in traditional zombie material.
What's special about 28 Days Later? Lol, they're just zombies (that run!). What's special about Dawn of the Dead? They're just zombies (that speak to the braindead nature of consumerism!). What's special about Train to Busan? They're just zombies (on a train!).

Everything is alike if you're that reductive. Most stories would kill for that one 'x, but...' element.

You can also throw up a billion similar surface-level works for just about anything. 28 Days Later? It's just Day of the Triffids lol! Blah blah, etc.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why do you get to decide what is a rip off and what is inspiration?
I don't, but even you can see one is more different than the other.

Naughty Dog at least made more effort to differentiate itself from The Road's poster than whoever made the What Still Remains poster to differentiate itself from TLOU's box art.

Look, I'm not trying to say one company has more of a right to lift stylistic elements from a source than others but you can make a work that is supposed to remind people of something and still make it different enough that no one can go and say "it's a rip-off" right away at first glance.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
No

Not really

I didn't say no one read the title

And that's just not true

OP pointing out a poster that's a very blatant ripoff and then asking if the movie is a ripoff too leading to some people just reading the title and going "lol tlou original lol" isn't the gotcha you think it is. Unless you think that being inspired by something and plagiarizing something are the same thing

You broke up a sentence and still lack proper reading comprehension I see.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"TLOU is just The Road" has to be one of the most reductionist takes ever.

It's also super weird that they usually say that just before shitting on TLOU. Like something being original or not has anything to do with its own merits and quality. TLOU and the Road have a similar premise but do VERY DIFFERENT THINGS with it.

And let's all pause for moment from reading all of those posts that point out The Road as an inspiration (using this fact to shit on TLOU) to then consider that The Road itself didn't invent its setting, tone, or concept.

Whether your talking the movie or the original story, neither are like TLOU at all.

Right?

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling over a series of posts; previous related infractions
I don't, but even you can see one is more different than the other.

Naughty Dog at least made more effort to differentiate itself from The Road's poster than whoever made the What Still Remains poster.

Look, I'm not trying to say one company has more of a right to lift stylistic elements from a source than others but you can make a work that is supposed to remind people of something and still make it different enough that no one can go and say "it's a rip-off" right away at first glance.

All jokes aside I agree actually. However in this case it's just too easy to make fun of The Last of Us because it's famous for its liberal use of inspiration.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Kind of cringing at the edgy disingenuous posters, pretending that they don't know the thread is about a specific movie poster so that they can shit on The Last of Us.

We get it, guys. You don't like one of the most beloved games of the past two generations of consoles. It's okay.