• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Versus 13 happening?

• Yay, but in a sort of pseudo spiritual successor sort of way

Votes: 321 44.6%
  • Nay, why would it?

Votes: 398 55.4%

• Total voters

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's going to happen but will he connected to the Kingdom Hearts series is my guess.

If Nomura straight up makes a Verum Rex game and have it connected to the Kingdom Hearts universe. I'll lose my shit.

I was thinking that's the only way it could happen. We'll see I guess. I'd be in for it for sure, but doubt it tbh.

Regarding TWEWY ofcourse there is going to be more TWEWY stuff in future Kigndom Hearts games.
Secret ending has had Sora wake up in Shibuya and the DLC has him Fighting in Shibuya in the direct follow-up game to Dream Drop Distance which had TWEWY characters literally tell Sora "See you in Shibuya" before they left.

Regarding VXIIi i don't think there's many people that truiy believe he's gonna do a mainline full Budget Final Fantasy game as VXIII, but as some already mentioned, taking most of his concepts and ideas for that game and implementing them in future Kingdom Hearts title as part of the main narrative.

Nomura did say an interview that it "looks that way" in response to TWEWY appearing but that this Shibuya was different compared to the real Shibuya and TWEWY Shibuya. He makes it seem its Verum Rex's Shibuya. Doesnt rule out TWEWY characters appearing but lessens their likelihood. I was also thinking how they could show. It appears this Shibuya is using a realistic shader as Sora and Yozora both noticeably look different compared to other characters and cant see TWEWY characters appearing in a realistic way, but it's not impossible. I do think/hope we'll see them, just wonder if it's in this Shibuya, it would make the most sense on the surface though.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Man, this post gave me a chuckle. Honestly, I hope that this is their segue into making a more adult-oriented KH series. I really like the OC Square-Enix anime BS and hope that Disney lets them do their own thing with the story away from Disney's classic properties.

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Yozora is nobody of Versus XIII version of Noctis. He was born when Square cancelled Versus XIII. He'll open the door to Versus XIII when he returns to the True King.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nomura will deliver the game no one asked for. And we'll love it

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if you are a KH3 fan that waited 30 years for the conclusion to the saga and you dont care about FFXV, and then what you get is this bullshit because Nomura threw a fit.

Oct 25, 2017
It's 100% happening.

But I'm still not 100% in hype mode because I'm too scared of KH legacy ruining everything about it. And Yozora's design sucks. It's WIP, with the line about that not being his true self or whatever, but it still sucks.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not happening, not in the way we've seen it years ago. I wish it were though.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever Nomura is doing with it, hope it stays in KH and far away from anything Final Fantasy related so that i don't have to care. Overall hope that Nomura will not be involved in Final Fantasy 16 and after (outside of FF7R) in anything other than some Character designs maybe.

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
He definitely can't use any R-Rated story beats from Versus XIII for Kingdom Hearts, that's for sure.

Hell no. He bailed on that game and we got a terrible Kingdom Hearts game instead.

Nomura didn't bail, he was removed from the project by upper management because they wanted him to work on Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at the people voting no.

You would have already looked like fools with Verum Rex and stella but now with a shot for shot recreation you're beyond salvation.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Nomura always gets what he wants. I don't know why people are voting no when he's clearly taking the Kingdom Hearts franchise in this direction.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I think it's worth looking back at the secret endings for KH1FM and KH2FM to get an idea of how much of a focus certain elements in KH3's secret endings might be going forward:

After all these years this is still hype as fuck. Both of em. Retroactively, knowing the story of Kingdom Hearts makes em even better because you have Deep Dive with Roxas speaking to Aqua and Blindfolded Riku as well and then you have Birth By Sleep with Aqua, Ven, and Terra who are all also in Deep Dive, affected by Darkness one way or the other.

And now we have something which is on the same level of Deep Dive but for entirely different reasons, because its a promise of an entirely new chapter of Kingdom Hearts with none of the baggage of the Dark Seeker Saga and the promise of a new branch of lore that could be another level of some sort of multiverse.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
A KH secret ending has always been important to the future of the franchise.
Deep Dive, Birth By Sleep, etc. all set up future installments.

It's not a question of whether or not it will happen, the question is 'when'.

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
At this point, I think we're more likely to get a fan-made interpretation of Versus 13 in dreams than anything official from Square. I feel that this was just meant as a joke and it came across poorly.

Feb 5, 2018
Haha, fucking no.

That is a very very very big question.

I mean if you are willing to completely limit the entire existence of FFv13 to single world in a future KH game which is some sort of meta-commentary on how video games are made, changed and sold and what the characters within said video game think about such things, then use, we'll see Versus 13 again.

But man, what a fucking monkey's paw.
Thats assuming its one world. Lingering Will pointed to Terra being a hugely importanr character for years (he literally IS the Xehanort that split into Ansem and Xemnas).

Yozora is the next big thing for the franchise. I honestly expect a game either revolving entirely around him or a majority of a plot doing the same

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sucks that we're going to have to go through yet another generation with vsxiii hanging over us... PROOF that lightning is the superior protagonist, she had her three games and let the rest of us live!

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I think we're more likely to get a fan-made interpretation of Versus 13 in dreams than anything official from Square. I feel that this was just meant as a joke and it came across poorly.

Yeah they spent millions of dollars in two CGI videos for a joke. Ok.

sucks that we're going to have to go through yet another generation with vsxiii hanging over us... PROOF that lightning is the superior protagonist, she had her three games and let the rest of us live!

Two games. And the one of the trilogy that didn't have her as the main character happened to be the best of the bunch by far.

=)

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if you are a KH3 fan that waited 30 years for the conclusion to the saga and you dont care about FFXV, and then what you get is this bullshit because Nomura threw a fit.

Even if I really dislike the idea of the Versus rehash we are getting, we can not blame it for the arc resolution we got with KH3. Nomura clearly lost interest in the original conflict built upon the spin-off era sometime after Dream Drop Distance released and he became more focused on the foreteller saga.

Whatever he wanted to pull off initially with KH3 ended up being watered down or changed to make way to the Foretellers lore, which he clearly wanted to explore. And now I'm afraid that this Versus thing, which he came up with AFTER introducing the foretellers and all the chi nonsense, is going to leave us with another poorly executed arc. He waits too long to tell the entire picture and by the time he reaches climax, he comes up with another different thing and drops the previous one. You can tell that everytime things "take off" in the Chi series, the 5 protagonists are dropped and replaced with another 5, with not even a character artwork ready. He did it when he replaced the foretellers with the Union leaders without designing 3 of them, and then he is seemingly dropping them for Xehanort, Eraqus and another new 3.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
The secret ending making a big deal out of Yozora's casting and the fact that secret endings are typically indicative of the direction of the series means that Vs. XIII will have some impact on the KH series. Nobody is saying that Vs. XIII will be made or anything, but concepts and ideas from the original vision of Vs will definitely appear in the KH series goin forward.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel this and the foreteller stuff is way more exciting than getting a clear "ending". We still got rid of Xehanort in 3, and we got Luxu (IMO way more interesting than Xehanort). People playing 3 in hopes of it getting the happy ending and be done with KH were mistaken, 4 was already being considered and Nomura talked about how this was just the end of the Xehanort saga.

Some of the union chi revelations have been very, very interesting too. Ven being one.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

I can see him dropping the FF mythology related lore (like Crystals), rewriting some stuff as 'light','darkness' and so on, keep the major plot points he wanted to cover and set it as the evolution of KH.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I hope it's a spin off with no disney characters. I really don't like their worlds or they in general tbh.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's very unlikely Disney is gonna allow a KH game to come out without their properties in it so I don't get this
You don't get that I prefer any and all versus to be outside of kingdom hearts and I'd much rather Sora partying with Disney characters while facing original villains seeking darkness?

I don't like Noctis Yozora, I don't like nameless star, I don't like somnus being in the secret ending.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My personal guess is that the next mainline game will be called something like "Verum Rex: Kingdom Hearts", and it'll feature Yozora going to the worlds of Marvel, Star Wars, and Fox properties as he sleeps, while Tokyo is something of a main hub with its own story going on.

So it'll essentially be a more "mature" Kingdom Hearts (in the sense that the MCU and Star Wars movies are more "mature" than, say, Tangled). This'll let Nomura touch on some of the elements of Versus XIII, but I wouldn't expect things like seeing dead people, Yozora being part of the yakuza, or so much of the heated romance between not-Noct and not-Stella.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
You don't get that I prefer any and all versus to be outside of kingdom hearts and I'd much rather Sora partying with Disney characters while facing original villains seeking darkness?

I don't like Noctis Yozora, I don't like nameless star, I don't like somnus being in the secret ending.
I think the point is that regardless of how they bookend it with Versus style stuff, the next Kingdom Hearts game is still going to feature Sora and Disney worlds. Yozora is silly and might get a spinoff, but if it's a proper Kingdom Hearts game there will be Disney.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I think the point is that regardless of how they bookend it with Versus style stuff, the next Kingdom Hearts game is still going to feature Sora and Disney worlds. Yozora is silly and might get a spinoff, but if it's a proper Kingdom Hearts game there will be Disney.
I know there'll be Disney stuff. I just don't like versus being tossed into kingdom hearts.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
FInal Fantasy xv was great but that leaked info on how ff versus xiii was supposed to be like - all dark and gloomy was fantastic , wish we would have gotten that, hell if they make it still - wouldn't mind buying it