• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I'm from BC, I've lived in Vancouver, and I've never heard that comparison before. Ever.

Vancouver is a lot of things, but Paris? Vancouver could only wish to have those urban bones. Paris, in my opinion, is the world's most beautiful city from an urban and architectural standpoint. It's pure bliss. Vancouver is stunning no doubt, but that's mostly because of the natural landscape it exists in. It still has a loooooooong way to go before becoming a truly great city.

I do think it's on the right path to become something special in the next 20 years or so though. The metro region just really needs to address the cost of living.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Montreal is also awesome. Very pretty terraced restaurants, multi floor hip hop clubs. Legal strip clubs full of gorgeous strippers. Fantastic food. Me and a friend used to drive there from NYC every summer.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not gonna add to the dogpile because yeah it's pretty clear that it's not, but Soapbox Killer this thread might be relevant to your interests!

www.resetera.com

Going to Montreal and Quebec City in a month

My girlfriend and I are driving up from Boston to Montreal first week in April to hang out. Wanna eat good food and see some cool stuff. Aside from getting free healthcare, what should we do as first time visitors?

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Paris? Lol no. We're like a smaller and newer Seattle. We do have some french speakers but you don't hear it everywhere.

Jun 7, 2018
If you can drive to Montreal, I'd say go for it. I'm from the UK and having spent most of my childhood vacations in France, I would say there's definitely a French feel to Montreal at least, if not always specifically "Paris".

As mentioned by others, Quebec City even more so; it really doesn't feel or look like any other North American city... if someone blindfolded you and put you there, I reckon you'd almost certainly think you were in Europe (well, until you saw a Tim Hortons!)

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Vancouver is a very nice North American city but it's wholly different and not comparable to anything in Europe.

In fact, comparing European to American to Asian cities is such an exercise in futility. They all stand on their own and are too different from one another to really compare. European cities have gorgeous Old World architecture but are mostly nothing special in terms of landscapes compared to American cities that are separated by vast tracts of land and Asian cities which are far more dense and teeming with people and buzz and even more ancient beautiful architecture.

Nov 11, 2017
They are... complete opposites? Paris is a great city but filthy. Go there for the culture.

Vancouver is a bad city but clean and beautiful. Go there for what is next to the city.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
In fact, comparing European to American to Asian cities is such an exercise in futility. They all stand on their own and are too different from one another to really compare. European cities have gorgeous Old World architecture but are mostly nothing special in terms of landscapes compared to American cities that are separated by vast tracts of land and Asian cities which are far more dense and teeming with people and buzz and even more ancient beautiful architecture.

This.

We need to stop being lazy with city comparisons. All it does is patronize other cities and asserts superiority to other places. Let the cities stand out on their own!

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Photos make this place look awesome! It's on the edge of my driving limit but It looks like something me and the wife would love, don't know about the kids however.

As someone who lives there, and as others mentioned, if you want something that make you think "I'm in Paris" but still being in North America, Quebec City is the best option. You'll come across more french too, since Montreal is like 50% French and English and Quebec is like 95% French. :P

It isn't however a big city(a little over 500k population) compared to Montreal. The european part is just a small part of the city, so you might be done with it after a day or two(if you don't rush and explore every corners/museums). It's up to you if that's worth 10 hours of driving.

The best times to visit Quebec City is during Christmas(there's a lot of pretty views with the Christmas lights and decorations)
Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2016-10-27-a%CC%80-03.26.11.png

There's also during the Carnaval, which is usually near the end of January or early February, where you can see ice sculptures and parades. Which could be nice for your kids.

728caaa4-4219-4785-ab27-0e8c90a3ef43

Another thing (if snow and cold isn't your thing) is the New France gestival which is around August, which celebrate the old Quebec from 300-400 years ago, where you can often come across people like the old times, plus some other cool activities. Could be interesting too!

les-fetes-de-la-nouvelle-france-td-personnages-depoque-2.jpg

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the time you have, you could easily visit both Montreal and Quebec City in one trip, since Montreal is on the way to Quebec City.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver is a very beautiful city. The modern city + mountains combination is unlike pretty much anywhere else in the world.

o3ndnxrd69c41.jpg

It is nothing like Paris though. And literally no one speaks French.

wait a minute that looks EXACTLY like New York City. I've never been personally but I've watched Rumble In the Bronx maybe two dozen times. That's NYC!

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
UPDATE:

He said "not" like Vancouver and I completely misheard him. He was talking about Montreal and he said like Paris up north since it's almost directly north of Philadelphia. In my defense I was working and wasn't completely listening.

My bad however, I will be going to Montreal later this year so that's a plus.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
He left for the day. So maybe I heard him wrong. He was talking about people speaking only French and and being kinda snooty about it.

In Montreal, you can live and get by without speaking a single word of french, as soon as you drive 30min+ away from the island, english will be scarce. Quebec city is around 2.5hours away from Montreal and as far as I remember, not many people speak english there.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
If you are going to take a visit to the Paris of the North don't forget to take a visit to the Paris of the South (Buenos Aires) for comparison.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
What? No. I live outside Vancouver were very much a west coast city. Were the Seattle / SanFran of the North more than anything

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Well I feel I have to defend my country's honor here Tromsø in Norway is the only Paris of the north

Northern_Lights_over_Tromso_Norway_Credit_Truls_Tiller_32481.jpg

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In Montreal, you can live and get by without speaking a single word of french, as soon as you drive 30min+ away from the island, english will be scarce. Quebec city is around 2.5hours away from Montreal and as far as I remember, not many people speak english there.

I hear more English than I would have first thought when walking in the old parts of Quebec city(which is a few times every year), but that's probably because it's filled with tourists all year long. So yeah, even if you don't speak a word of French, as long as you stick to that part of town, you should be fine. Going to the grocery store in the more modern parts of town would be another story. :P

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
I hear more English than I would have first thought when walking in the old parts of Quebec city(which is a few times every year), but that's probably because it's filled with tourists all year long. So yeah, even if you don't speak a word of French, as long as you stick to that part of town, you should be fine. Going to the grocery store in the more modern parts of town would be another story. :P

I'm from Montreal myself and some of my good friends have been born and raised in Montreal and can't make 2 french sentences in a row but they manage just fine being in the city as people from all over the world live here but my father is from a town 6 hours away from Montreal and almost no one speaks english there and I suspect a some of them have never been in presence or someone from another race than caucasian.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
If by Paris you mean "dirty and full of homeless and tourists".