• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Unity the worst Assassin's Creed?

• Yes it is

Votes: 127 14.5%
  • No it's the best AC game

Votes: 98 11.2%
  • It's not the best, but it's not the worst

Votes: 650 74.3%

• Total voters

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It may be the most dissapointing. The French Revolution should make for an awesome story, but it didn't really work that well for some reason. The city, parkour, the massive crowds are all amazing though. Really hope that they go back to an urban environment sometime in the future.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
If not counting the first game I would probably rank Revelations as the worst one. I honestly can't put my finger on it, but I think the setting was just too boring combined with a lackluster story/end to the Ezio trilogy. 2 and Brotherhood are among my favorites, and Revelations was just a huge let-down after two excellent games.

And unpopular opinion, but I greatly prefer the "old style" AC games over Origins and Odyssey. Those two, especially Odyssey, were fun, but they didn't feel like AC games to me.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
3's my least favorite, but I admit I haven't played much of the AC games past 4.

What little I played of Unity (maybe an hour) it seemed no worse than any of the other games, I was just burnt out of that formula by then.

3 was just such a swing and a miss for me.
  • It added parkour for trees, but didn't do much with it beyond the boring wilderness areas between the cities. 4 made it much more enjoyable.
  • It added ship combat, which was good but barely in the game (I only remember doing it 2-3 times in the game).
  • It had a potentially good setting, moving away from Europe/Middle East for the first time, but Colonial America didn't have any fun, tall buildings to climb and the streets were often too wide to jump across, so it make the parkour (my favorite part of playing these games) a bit of a chore.
  • It had the first new Animus character since the first game, but sadly after Ezio getting fleshed out for 3 full games, Connor's story was a struggle for me to get interested in.
Worst of all for me was 3's story, both the modern day stuff and the Animus stuff. I was genuinely engaged with AC1 and the AC2 trilogy, both in Animus and the modern day stuff, but I rember 3 being both boring in the Animus story (Connor was another "dude out for revenge" and I don't remember much beyond that), and the modern day stuff was a lame "conclusion" to that storyline and the series still hasn't recovered from it IMO. It's like after the world saving conclusion they weren't able to do anything interesting with the modern day animus/Templar stuff.

4 was kinda novel by setting that stuff in a game studio, but it wasn't engaging enough for me to be excited for Unity or Liberation.

To be fair to 3, it has been a long time, and my hype may have been too large for it to meet my expectations. I do want to replay it someday, probably when it's on sale on the Switch (plus I never played Liberation either).

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
3 made me quit this IP forever so I have trouble thinking there's worse, haha.
Same here. Loved the series to death, and bought all of them up to AC3. Almost every element that made me a fan of the series was absent in that boredom of a game.

This thread made me realize that I should give Unity a chance though.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Its a middling game in most aspects thats being puffed up in recent times because it was the last "proper" retread of the old formula.

I think its better than the first one which is incredibly rough to go back to so its not the worst

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I really and truly feel Origins and Odyssey are the worst, in that they are the worst offenders of the bloated world and quest design and jack of all trades/master of none game design. You can say whatever you want about the pre-origins AC games but they had real character. IMO all that's been sandblasted away in Origins/Odyssey to attempt to broaden the appeal.

I realize this is an unpopular opinion on era given Odyssey in particular is pretty beloved. Don't mean to thread derail either - we're talking about the worst AC games.

Jun 23, 2019
It's either AC3, Origins, or Odyssey for me. AC3 was terrible and Origins/Odyssey is like the antithesis of everything good about AC and chock full of Ubisoft's usual open world grind and BS.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Of all the mainline games I'd say Revelations is my least favourite, it's literally the only game in the franchise I can remember absolutely nothing about.

I quite liked Unity but I only played through it for the first time last year, I imagine I'd have a much more negative opinion of it if I'd played it at release.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
gaOu0kp.gif

Syndicate is the last remnant of the classic AC done right. Also nothing beats the Victorian setting and ost.
I think its pretty unanimous that AC3 is the weakest link...

giphy.gif

Think about it. Yeh the performance is better than Unity, but every other aspect is worse. It's less of an AC game in a lot of ways.

London is nicely realised, but quite honestly a drab looking place (I know industrial revolution).
Parkour is a step down from Unity as the wide streets don't allow for a seamless rooftop-parkour track. Also the ropecaster is there to make up for that design flaw/ flaw in the setting and is the least-AC thing I would say, as it takes away one of the core pillars of AC (climbing).

I know there is some reasoning behind it in the lore, but Evie being able to turn invisible just takes me out of the game too much. It's simply not what I expect from AC. Yeh sure, every character so far in the series had been OP in their own right but it played into the idea of a power-fantasy in a relatively grounded way so far.
The previous games did not have fantasy elements like 'Chameleon' (invisible) that Syndicate introduced, and other elements which had further been doubled down in Odyssey to an unrecognisable level.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I liked the game, but there was definitely some issues. The city feels very copy-paste in some parts, I encountered several glitches, and the story didn't flow well at parts (even though I liked the story over all). There's definitely worse AC games out there.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
You need to play Black Flag. It legit blows every single AC game out of the water. Pun intended.

It's not only an Assassin simulator, it's the best Pirate simulator on the market and it has the best control scheme out of all the games.

Unfortunately I did play it. It was a pirate game sure, but a terrible AC game. Asshole main character that didnt give a shit about the Assassins like Altair or Ezio, bullshit modern day part that spun its wheels and went nowhere, garbage abrupt ending, and the sailing part was a fun mechanic but made the world feel less interesting and less explorable to me. AC4 is when the series started going down hill. And Sea of Thieves is a way better pirate simulator game on the market by far anyway. AC4 shouldve been a straight up pirate game, not an AC game.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's the worst in terms of polish. But it's not the worst AC game.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
I've played almost all the mainline AC games, so not counting the Chronicles games; Also a few hours of Liberation. I played them all up to Unity as they came out. Unity is when I finally started getting burned out. Looking at the map in the beginning, I just didn't have it in me. And it took a couple years before I came back to it and finally finished. Now, ultimately enjoyed Unity.

When I finally got to Syndicate, I got so frustrated with the combat that I almost gave up. I wanted to like the game and I am stubborn, so I watched some videos for combat tips, and I finally got the hang of it. I also wound up enjoying Syndicate.

So, I'd say even though I enjoyed Unity and Syndicate, they were the two that almost broke me from playing one of my favorite series. I did start getting a bit tired of clearing the areas in Syndicate and didn't care of how you unlocked some of the gear, or upgrading your equipment. Also wasn't crazy with some of the side missions. So, I wouldn't say it is the worst, but Syndicate is probably my least favorite of the AC games I've played.

With AC3, I liked it quite a bit, when it came out. I actually liked fixing up the village and talking to the people. Granted, I haven't played it since I beat it not long after release.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only mainline Assassin's Creed game that I dropped and never finished.

Because it made my base PS4 overheat and shutdown so I got to scared and deleted it. Haven't even tried it on my Pro yet.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Of the main "AAA" releases, the worst is a tie between Revelations and AC3. Unity was fine (caveat: I missed the first month of bug fixing). I was disappointed in Unity's MP though, especially after the fun Wolfpack mode in Black Flag.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
The original Assassin's Creed is by far the worst AC game. It is the only one that I haven't completed.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
3 is the worst. 6 hour mind numbing tutorial jumping and trees. God it was bad.

I also feel like unity was enjoyable and the last real AC game.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Ass Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington is secretly the worst ass creed. III itself is okay and I have mixed feelings about how disappointing it is, but there's nothing redeeming about its DLC, not even the super powers Connor can use. It's hard to believe that the devs managed to make an alternate history scenario like that as devoid of soul as it was. It also had the absolute worst final boss in any of the ass creeds I've played (up to rogue, including Liberation HD and some of the older handheld games).

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Unity was gorgeous but holy crap was it buggy as all hell. And this was playing the Steam version maybe a year ago now. Even after all the patches, it was still horrendously buggy. NPC's appearing out of thin air, descending from the sky, walking up fully vertical walls, etc. Animations being broken or glitchy.

It was just a horrible time. Going on to Syndicate afterwards was like a night and day experience.

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely can't call it the worst.

I actually played through a few hours of Unity with no UI turned on and basically turned it into Skyrim: The City Version. Are there fundamentally big flaws with the way that its open world is designed that Ubisoft has since addressed in its open world fomula? Huge yes.

That doesn't mean it doesn't have its own merits and that it can't offer you its own kind of entertainment, though...!

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly didn't care for main dude and lady friend(?), which hampered my enjoyment significantly because you're stuck with him for the game
I found Revelations to be more boring than Unity, but I wouldn't play either again if given the chance.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
gaOu0kp.gif

Syndicate is the last remnant of the classic AC done right. Also nothing beats the Victorian setting and ost.
I think its pretty unanimous that AC3 is the weakest link...
Lol love the gif.

I dunno there was something just off about the characterizations for me. Like they skipped a bunch of development I felt the Frie siblings went from working together quite well with some rib digging then the next scene they were at each others throats like it got dialled up to 11.

Other than that I felt the side quests were very poorly written and designed, I didn't like the rope launcher for travelling around, Starricks scenes seemed strong at first but they all ended up being him rambling at his piano, WW1 stuff was way too short and kinda wierd. The implication that Churchill gave woman the right to vote because Lydia Frie helped him find some german spies feels like a really dumb way to slip our heroes into affecting world changing events.

In my opinion Jacob was the weaker one and Evie took a dive when the characters are at odds and she gets an odd love interest. The scene at the end 'Did I mess everything up?' Had me crying how cheesy and I don't know wimpy and pathetic he was lol.

Totally in agreement about AC3. The most memorable thing for me was turning in deliveries just to have the quest giver vanish and all NPC's disappear then the completion notice pop up when running around the frontier. Parts of the game really felt like they were thrown at a bunch of interns and never given a passover.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
One of my top 3 gaming series and Unity wasn't THAT bad, 3 is the worst by far. Syndicate is much better than Unity.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that computers can run it Unity is fine. AC3 is still the black mark do the series. Such a boring game.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If we are going by main games (Liberation is a handheld spinoff), it's either AC1 or AC: Unity. You can excuse AC1 since it was a brand new experience that they didn't really know what they wanted to do with it and didn't flesh it out until AC2. Unity looks good graphics-wise and has huge crowds but that is about it for its positive aspects.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's not the worst, it's way way down there. It's a horrible shame because it could have been so brilliant if it was done properly.
That horrible control scheme, bad inventory / unlock system and the story which was obviously rushed absolutely killed it for me.

The only other contender for me would be Assassin's Creed III, which glitched on my first play through and locked me out of the entire Homestead sequence of side-missions.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
The original is the worse... I hate to say it. Unity was a glitchy mess, but it tried new things (at the time) with parkour, crowd mass, and online (which if fine tuned would have been mind-blowing a less of a lonely unbalanced dud).

The original is so bland, they should just remake it.

On retrospect, there were a few ACs I loathed at first play-through that now don't seem so bad for trying new things... Unity and AC3 being at the top of that list. I really wish they would go back into online gameplay, refine it, and try again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Franchise as a whole, lots of the spinoff games are worse. But for the core series, AC1 and Revelations is worse than Unity. Unity was actually a big pleasure for me, the world was gorgeous and fun to explore.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
Unity had the best free running mechanics and animations I've played in any game and Ubisoft should feel bad they ditched it.