• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Unity the worst Assassin's Creed?

• Yes it is

Votes: 127 14.5%
  • No it's the best AC game

Votes: 98 11.2%
  • It's not the best, but it's not the worst

Votes: 650 74.3%

• Total voters

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
So I would say maybe it is, because of the damn story. Otherwise it has a lot of thing I want from Assassins Creed game. Paris, the crowds, the parcour, the assassinations. I loved that.

I have yet to finish Odyssey, but I am also not a big fan of the story here and I like the games direction less than Unitys.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I love Black Flag but I'm really not fond of its sequel Rogue. The main story is very short and the side quests are very generic. The world only has one proper city which is an extended New York from AC 3, the rest all like look copy and paste. The game feels like straight to DVD as they used to say and cheap in comparison to other ones. It's a shame because playing a templar could be a cool change of pace but being hunted by Assassins where you have a sonar to detect them gets old real fast. The ending is quite nice though.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Unity is actually the only really stealthy AC for better or worse, loved every second of it, story flaws be damned. Also it still has insane graphics on pc

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Unity was pretty good, in my eyes. It's actually the last game that made me feel like I actually played an Assassin and I wished they would have used that unique assassination feature a lot more.

I still find 3 to be the worst one, by far. Unlikeable characters, uninteresting world and they also went for the shitty "2012 is when the world ends" cliche. Incredibly disappointing, especially since they also killed off Desmond in the process and not his dad or Shawn. What a terrible decision that was.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Unity is the best Assassin's Creed game... Or it would be if it had another 6 months of development to iron out its flaws.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I love Unity. Got it day one on the Xbox One and never had any glitches. It looks amazing and the map is great with the interiors and catacombs. All the different outfits, weapons, perks... now I want to play it again.

OP
OP
Shakerovic

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
I can't believe some people saying Black Flag is bad lol i think it's the best AC game next to AC2

also poll added

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at Sequence 5, I think Arno is really dull though. Does he get better? I assume we'll see more of Elise and that should make Arno be more than a wooden slate?

It's a shame that Ezio's intro (first 1-2 hours) have never been topped

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
3 is the most boring game in the series after you finish the Haytham section.

A up-to-date version of Unity is a fantastic game actually.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
You can't take on 3-4+ enemies in Unity like you can in other AC titles. That said, Unity is among my favorite AC's, simply because it adheres to the core elements of the series. It might be the last 'real' AC we'll ever get.
Likewise, I loved Unity.

It also has one of my favourite open worlds ever, absolutely gorgeous.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
and Odyssey is the worst for how it destroyed the franchise
giphy.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's either 1 or 3 if we're only counting main console releases

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
I think it's between Unity or AC3. Those are the only two in the series that I just couldn't get into.

AC1 was mind-blowing at the time, but I doubt it aged well. Same with Liberation on the Vita, but I enjoyed both enough to finish.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably Liberation, but if you don't count that one, then the lowest point in the series is either AC1, AC3, or Unity. You could make an argument for any of those 3 based on what you value in a good game

i thought the costume switching would be cool but it ended up being a pain in the ass. it's like all the foibles of AC 3 with the addition of a swamp that's like...half the game

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
In my opinion Syndicate is worse.

It felt like the story and side quests were being written by multiple teams that only had a passing mention of what was supposed to happen before it. Some sequences just felt really disjointed to me. I liked the characters at first but the hammy script kind of made then unlikable trying to force conflict it didn't really do a great job building and the side quests have some god awful writing and design.

The one where Alexander Bell is distracting 2 goons so you can throw a stink knockout bomb or something was so weirdly designed from a narrative point of view. They are intimidating him you throw the bomb on his cue then they all shrug it off and silently walk like 10 paces then start harrassing him again and you do this like 3 times. It made no fucking sense.

The city is still great, but I preferred Unity. I actually liked Unity's story, main character, co-op stuff and even the side content I found fun and kinda their own thing. I couldn't wait to be done with Syndicate and I'm a bit confused how it was considered a better game/getting AC in track at the time.

Personally, worse games would be 3, Liberation(I guess, never finished it) for me with Syndicate, Revelations and Rogue battling for the next spot.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I came into this thread with the full intention to name the worst AC, but I'm not so sure now which one is. I guess Syndicate didn't resonate as well with me as every other main entry, despite liking Evie and Jacob. Something about London I guess. Didn't regret playing it though.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Yes!

Literally the only one I couldn't finish out of all of them, even after patches.

After the third or fourth time I clipped through a wall and was spotted or when I fell through the world after completing a difficult mission...I was done. Rage inducing bugs which is a pity because the world building and theme was really good.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, not even close to neither best or worst, so I'm not gonna vote. It's a lot better than the OG, Bloodlines, Liberation and 3 imo

I think most people ignored the co-op mode which isn't fair, it was the best part of the whole experience

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Unity was great. The PC port runs amazingly on my rig which really surprised me and the alternate setting missions that would appear between sequences were really rad.

I'd say 1 is the worst.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Unity's only real problem is the story. Goddamn was it bland. Just chasing one person after another, mission after mission, and it all led to barely anything. It should've been intriguing the way it was structured, but nope. And that ending was so abrupt and forced. Just a fail all around.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
No it's actually the best current gen assassins creed game.
Considering that syndicate is a worse unity and origins and odyssey should not even be called assassins creed games.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No 3 is the worst. Unity is actually pretty good now that all the bugs have been fixed. Is it the best? No, but it gets a lot of undeserved shit.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
The original is far and away the worst game in the series. 3 is probably the runner up.

also lol @ this poll. It's either the worst or best? Unity is middle of the pack ( I still voted no but it's not the best, either)

Jan 29, 2018
I finished Unity and barely remember anything about it. I remember AC3 being really frustrating though.

The real answer is probably one of the DS games I never played.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's gonna be one of those threads eh?

AC2, AC3, ACB, BLACK FLAG - Best

AC Revelations and AC Origins - Worst (for me)

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Not while 3 exists.

3 wasn't just a boring Assassins Creed, it was a boring game full stop.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
My scale would look like this:

Amazing Tier:
AC IV: Black Flag
AC II
AC Brotherhood
AC Origins

Great Tier:
AC Odyssey
AC Rogue
AC Syndicate
AC Unity

Okay Tier:
AC Revelations
AC Chronicles China
AC Chronicles India
AC Chronicles Russia
AC III

Bad Tier:
AC III Liberation
AC
AC Bloodlines
AC II Discovery
AC Altair's Chronicles

Shit Tier:
AC Rebellion
AC Identity
AC Pirates
AC Rearmed
AC Recollection
AC Memories

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That poll is kind of loaded, no? It's either "it's the worst" or "it's the best," with no option for a simple "no".

... but with that said, it's one of the best Assassin's Creed games.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite, warts and all. Still one of the prettiest games this entire gen on the whole.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Unity is the one that burned me out from the series, so there's that. Still need to dive into Origins/Odyssey when I get the chance.

Having said that, AC1 is still the worst one. The series didn't really find its footing until AC2.