• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I think so...can't think of any scifi movies that came out that is on par with Underwater...your thoughts?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Invisible Man, if you count that as Sci-Fi horror, gets my vote.

Movie completely blew my expectations.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
/r/titlegore

(no, I couldn't finish it. My favorite horror movies this year are Invisible Man, Alone, The Beach House, Scare Me. If you want scifi, Sputnik was better)

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It's the most fun scifi horor for sure. Sputnik is at the very least on par but not as fun. And there's also Possessor which has super high RT% that will be out soon.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
IM takes the cake. Underwater was a retread of Cameron movies. Not one original thought or shot.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I think so, at least nothing else comes to mind. I feel like everything that looked interesting got delayed. Don't watch Sputnik it sucks ass. Invisible man is okay but forgettable.

If you want something fun with a little sci-fi watch the signal or predestination.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Really haven't seen very much horror that's released this year (I'll be scanning the thread for rec's), but The Invisible Man is a better film, as fun as Underwater is.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the praise for Underwater. It was terrible. Absolutely terrible.....except for the monster design. That was pretty cool. Shame it only featured in the movie for like three minutes

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That ain't Invisible Man.

That film is so good that it's made it impossible for me to see how you could tell a more interesting story with a high concept premise like that.

Underwater has a cool twist with the Lovecraft stuff and solid production design but it's way too flatly written to be worth revisiting. It's also pretty derivative of similar films like Abyss, Alien, Deep Blue Sea and others.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the praise for Underwater. It was terrible. Absolutely terrible.....except for the monster design. That was pretty cool. Shame it only featured in the movie for like three minutes
It's not a unique movie but it very much knew what it was and kept a pretty consistent pace for the majority of the movie. Of all the sci fi horror monster movies that get churned out, it was well done enough to carry you to the end. It carried me at least, I love the movie and def earns a re-watch every few months.

Also the suit designs are genuinely amazing imo.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe by default since barely any movies came out this year lol. I think it could have been good if we got the other, idk, 45-60 minutes of the script that almost certainly got cut out at some point in production, presumably the parts that give the characters some personality and setup. As it is it's like if Alien started at the chestburster scene.

Or maybe if they release a cut that edits around TJ Miller.

Last edited:

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I liked how Underwater looks, the Gears of War suit were neat but it was kind of meh otherwise besides the visuals.

Invisible Man was fire though, great movie.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I just watched Underwater for the first time today! I don't know if I would call it the best or even horror but I enjoyed it a lot.

I wonder if they do a sequel if it will have an Aliens vibe, more actiony. Marines fighting in giant suits against the monsters. Be like Warhammer 40K but on the bottom of the ocean, lol

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
I liked it. The movie looked great and the story and premise was clear and simple but had lots of crazy tension and atmosphere

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As much as I wanted a movie where K-Stew being in an Alien rip-off to be good, no.

Possessor wins that title. It's like a giallo Inception, also reminds of Cronenberg's own eXistenZ and Videodrome. It's hella gory and twisty.

I haven't seen Sputnik yet.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
While we're on the topic; is there any GOOD SciFi on Netflix? Produced by Netflix or otherwise? Whenever I see something intriguing it has reviewed awfully.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Possessor , Color Out of Space, and The Platform are pretty great.
General horror, though, Host, La llorona, and The Queen of Black Magic are my favorite horror films this year. The Deeper You Dig is a strange one, but the fact that it was made by a family is pretty awesome.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
The best Lovecraftian film I've seen this year is this obscure art film called Red Moon Tide.

Not for everyone, but I found it to be hypnotic.

Regarding the topic question, Possessor is my choice.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Closest I'll ever get to live action Dead Space.

If there's any Easy Allies fans here, Jones' wife (The Troop) was the voice of the computer.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Possessor , Color Out of Space, and The Platform are pretty great.
General horror, though, Host, La llorona, and The Queen of Black Magic are my favorite horror films this year. The Deeper You Dig is a strange one, but the fact that it was made by a family is pretty awesome.
You should check out Saint Maud if you haven't seen it yet. Incredible.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
You should check out Saint Maud if you haven't seen it yet. Incredible.
It is definitely on my list. I missed it last year at Fantastic Fest and was told by my gf that I would have liked it. Sucks that A24 has basically delayed it into oblivion.

Some other scifi horror: Sputnik and Sea Fever (tho its more eco terror, but the argument can be made that its scifi)

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Underwater is one of the worst films I've seen. Invisible Man was very good. No contest.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Can't say it's been a great year for horror. I saw plenty of movies I liked but none that I loved. I liked Underwater, I don't understand the Alien comparison, it didn't remind me of Alien at all.

I liked Invisible Man, but that was more thriller than horror.

I liked Relic, it was very creepy but took a while to get to it.

I enjoyed #Alive, but it wasn't really scary.

I liked Color Of Space. Probably the most memorable horror I watched this year.

I haven't seen Possessor. I guess I should get around to it.