• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I want to know what the thing I have to do to get the good ending (besides not killing anyone & reloading after the end)?

My first playthrough was funny

I killed Toriel, felt awful and reloaded my save. Flowey KNEW that and I got scared as fuck.

This is actually exactly what happened to me when I first played the game years ago. I actually never returned to the game I was shook. Only going back now lol

Last edited:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Killing nothing in your first run just gives you the normal ending though.

But you also don't need to fully replay the game to get the other ending at that point, just after getting the normal ending you can start back up from that save and "finish" the other side stuff.

So yeah, if you are only going to do one play though you should follow a little bit of a guide and aim for the true pacifist route.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, but you can go right to the new stuff afterwards without having to replay anything, so you should definitely do that at the very least.
Oh, you're right. Personally I think the better way is to just play the game blind but since OP already knows about the endings, might as well just do that.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
You have to pour a cup of water over Undyne's head when she tires out from chasing you. If you leave the room before doing it, I think that fails the pacifist route.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thank you
i remember now! the game does make it pretty clear IIRC though with her collapsing and then the inconspicuous water cooler there.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I want to know what the thing I have to do to get the good ending (besides not killing anyone & reloading after the end)?

This is actually exactly what happened to me when I first played the game years ago. I actually never returned to the game I was shook. Only going back now lol

You have to get a cup of water for someone at a very specific point in the game. It will be sort of obvious. There will be a water cooler nearby and a character who clearly needs it. But because this is Undertale, you can choose to ignore it. It's the only no-kill thing that you can't just go back and do at any point.

Otherwise you just have to befriend everyone that you can.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Help someone with water and befriend/hangout with every boss if they ask you

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Absolutely. It's worth replaying it doing things differently, but one playthrough is perfectly satisfying by itself.

Oct 27, 2017
I know you don't want to replay it but the game is so short, playing it at least twice is worth it imo. But yes play it once if anything just for the soundtrack.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I only played it the one time. And then I watched playthroughs of the other runs at my rythm.

It's a very good game, that tends to be way overhyped by its fans. Remember to never say if you thought it was only ok, or if you didn't like it. You will get threats, and be told you didn't understand the game.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yeah, it's good for a single play through.
I don't remember if I played it once or twice (I'm pretty sure it was once though), but I remember I got a nice ending I was very happy with and I actually felt bad about restarting at that point so I just never played it again afterwards.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Look, Undertale is not like most games, it's essentially an entirely different game in each of the 3 main "routes" making it highly replayable. It is also not a long game either, like 8 hours first time and considerably less for the other two (although there's a caveat). I basically did all 3 (4 because I screwed up one) in 15 hours.

I don't agree with people saying play pacifist first time, it doesn't make up for the neutral playthrough. You'll need a guide to get it because you have to talk to people and do things at certain times to get the pacifist ending, and characters behave considerably differently on neutral. There's a lot more to the playthrough than just the different ending. And pacifist is only really as impactful as it is after you've already experienced the neutral playthrough.

You can play it once and it's worthwhile doing so but you'd be missing out. After my first playthrough I just thought the game was decent, but I could see there was more to it. Kept going into 2nd and third playthrough and it eventually became one of my favourites of all time. It's in those later playthroughs where the game really blossoms, and it's only so good because you've experienced it as a whole. Every playthrough builds on the last.

Seriously though, just play it blind however you want, and if you're intrigued at the end keep going is my recommendation. I'm not the type to replay or care about alternate endings either, but Undertale is different and it will subvert your expectations.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the story but couldn't clear the final boss and quit. I suck at bullet hell games.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue Undertale is structured in such a way that seeing the credits once does not even properly count as a single playthrough. I feel like, knowing that it has radically different consequences for "restarting," that you would feel the need to do the other paths anyway.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Totally. I did this and didn't really think I would replay the game afterwards. But I ended up doing it because the game is very fun and quick.

Now, if you really don't want to replay the game, do the pacifist route where you don't kill any monsters. It's a fun time.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't replay games either... but I do not view a game with multiple intended playthroughs as "replaying" a game? Seeing an additional ending is still just part of the process of playing the game for the first time, if that makes sense. It's like a different route in a VN. It's all part of one story still.

I think you've already spoiled yourself by even asking this much, kinda (rather - you were already spoiled if you asked). As others have said, pacificism + reloading after you get your first ending is most efficient. But, personally, playing naturally and then specifically going from the start for the second ending was a meaningful experience with differences that you will now miss out on.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
If you manage to beat it the "true pacifist" way, that alone makes the experience whole. I was lucky enough to not screw up on my first (and only) full playthrough, getting the best ending. I DID get a mulligan at one point in the game where I was aggressive.

The genocide run feels boring in comparison. I tried, but gave up quickly. Playing the true pacifist way is just too satisfying.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. The first playthrough has a very good ending no matter how you play it.

Seriously, the final section of a first playthrough is so damn good.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Absolutely, and you can get 2 endings playing just once.

Not really a spoiler, but just in case:

If you kill nothing, you get the normal ending and just have to reload a save to make the true pacifist ending.
Just wanted to stress this as well. Play your cards right and you can experience two endings in one run. You haven't lived until you've experienced both the neutral final boss and the true final boss.

The final parts of the game make for an emotional rollercoaster.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I never played Undertale, but from context I understand people play it a few times - normally, killing everything or killing nothing. I don't really replay games.

Without spoiling anything further, is it worth playing if I only intend to play once? Is there a preferred way to play for the story if I'm doing just that?

Yes. I only played it once. I played in a pacifist way because I heard you have the choice and I got what I assume is the best ending.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to have more gameplay you will need a guide lol, else you can just play blind, finish it and be done with it.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I never played Undertale, but from context I understand people play it a few times - normally, killing everything or killing nothing. I don't really replay games.

Without spoiling anything further, is it worth playing if I only intend to play once? Is there a preferred way to play for the story if I'm doing just that?
Yes. And don't kill anyone or thing. After you beat the game, you decide if you want to do a genocide run. Or just watch it on YouTube. And also check out Undertale Secret videos!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

Don't kill anything/anyone during your first playthrough.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Definitely worth playing just once and don't kill anything the first time. Playing the game this way will give you a clean slate for the next run and your playthrough will definitely help you decide if it's worth seeking the other playstyle.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Yes, it's totally worth it. The game is fun and fresh as hell even without the replay gimmick. I mean, in how many games can you defeat dog guards by petting them, or have a quiz as a boss battle?

Just remember that "action" during fights is more fun than simply fighting things ;)

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Yea if you just read the Steam page summary in the top right and play it that way you don't have to do multiple playthroughs. That one is definitely worth it.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I played it once and was satisfied. It's really worth experiencing, especially if you love RPGs.

I played it around launch so I went in fairly blind and just enjoyed the experience.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's still a good experience, even if you lose the great stuff it does with player reactivity.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I only finished Undertale one time myself. I don't think the non pacifist route is worth a play to me, because if i want to kill enemies, i'd have thousand of classic RPGs for that already.

Just make sure to do the true pacifist ending tho, probably using a guide.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
the game is short enough that you should play it. beat it once. and if you feel like it, beat it twice, those two playthroughs will be less than 5-10 hours. shorter than the time invested on this thread, maybe

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there at least one missable thing you need to do for the pacifist ending? Give Undyne a glass of water?

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
You know what, I think I'm glad I haven't read anything about the game beforehand and went in blind, without forcing myself to do the true pacifist route the first time. Because learning the lore, what really happened, meeting characters, hurting some, helping others etc. and then experiencing the true pacifist route is much more fun than going "I have to spare everyone" on your first playthrough.

It's a whole different experience when you *want* to be friends with everyone because you want to see them happy and not just want to get a good ending.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Just play it once, and kill nothing. That's literally the only ending worth seeing, the bad route isn't intended to be played, and directly goes against the game's message.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the pacifist playthrough would have been less impactful without the blind neutral one before it. It's not just about the ending